Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lessail
Apr 1, 2011

:cry::cry:
tell me how vgk aren't playing like shit again
p.s. help my grapes are so sour!
love to be a 50 year old entry level coder

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

can the democratic party be put down already. this is just getting sad

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

Taintrunner posted:

the literal violence of not buying products made in Israel
lifehack: simply steal them to get a significantly reduced sentence compared to not buying them.

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

babypolis posted:

can the democratic party be put down already. this is just getting sad

ol' yeller's got the rabies but obama took our guns

Lessail
Apr 1, 2011

Yinlock posted:

ol' yeller's got the rabies but obama took our guns

don't need to gun to terminate a program

AstheWorldWorlds
May 4, 2011

Yinlock posted:

regulation is good

we need more regulation always

Being good in theory does not mean it is a realistic solution. It cannot be regulated because you are keeping the very aristocracy you are constraining intact and in full control over society. It has failed, it continues to fail, and it always will fail because you are not changing the power relations in society in any meaningful or sustainable way.

Lessail
Apr 1, 2011

has someone postsed that the dem slogan is so bad that linkin park killed he self?

Digiwizzard
Dec 23, 2003

Pork Pro

Grondoth posted:

You're wrong, that's pretty much the startup guru's answer to any poverty.

FFS just do a google search with the words "miner" and "coding," that's all we can think of doing. Large scale projects to create local hubs of renewable energy aren't what's talked about when they talk about Job Retraining. It's teaching laid off factory workers how to do entry level coding.

It is pretty funny. This is basically the last critical period where we're going to have the excess energy to invest in anything, and if our leaders weren't smooth brained Reaganites then the entire economy would be in the midst of a massive mobilization to construct as much renewable and nuclear energy sources as possible. It would be a enormous diversion of resources and manpower that would put WW2 to shame. Instead we're busy trying to funnel poo poo into the tech bubble while we sleepwalk over the cliff.

I Am A Robot
Jul 1, 2006

Lessail posted:

love to be a 50 year old entry level coder

dear god those poor bastards

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

Digiwizzard posted:

It is pretty funny. This is basically the last critical period where we're going to have the excess energy to invest in anything, and if our leaders weren't smooth brained Reaganites then the entire economy would be in the midst of a massive mobilization to construct as much renewable and nuclear energy sources as possible. It would be a enormous diversion of resources and manpower that would put WW2 to shame. Instead we're busy trying to funnel poo poo into the tech bubble while we sleepwalk over the cliff.

all of our problems can be solved by apps

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

apps have already solved such society threatening problems such as going to the grocery store yourself or paying taxi drivers a fair wage

Digiwizzard
Dec 23, 2003

Pork Pro
STARVR: This app can help you locate the nearest food riot.

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES

I Am A Robot posted:

dear god those poor bastards

The Democrats: it doesn't really matter how hard you try

Edit: quoted the wrong post but eh I'm on the phone

the suck Zone

Concerned Citizen
Jul 22, 2007
Ramrod XTreme
Juicero

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool
coding costing a lot of money is the largest stranglehold on rich people's capital. paying engineers is the most expensive part of almost every major company. you pay people in wv who live at home to code, congrats, the wealth of every tech shareholder just went up.

there's a reason everyone's slamming the "GET A STEM DEGREE" button on the internet and that's because we're looking at a career that is going to pay 40 grand in about 10 years on purpose.

AstheWorldWorlds
May 4, 2011
I have a great jobs program that will provide meaningful work and also provide me the ability to escape disgusting earth capitalism and join glorious, pure full space communism.

Make a space pioneer corps and subsidize families to go into space forever.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
Chelsea 2020

https://twitter.com/xychelsea/status/888173144917372928

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Lessail posted:

has someone postsed that the dem slogan is so bad that linkin park killed he self?

he's not crawling in his skin anymore that's for sure.

his wounds, they did not heal

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007
chelseas tweets are the one unsullied thing left in this dumbass world

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Concerned Citizen posted:

Well any CCC would have a training aspect to it since most modern construction requires skilled labor.

not that skilled

the real problem is that construction has been automated pretty heavily, drastically reducing the amount of manpower required. back in the 30s, digging a ditch meant putting a bunch of people to work with shovels. today it means one guy driving some heavy machinery. in FDR's time, bulldozers had only just been invented, and more complicated machines like backhoes were still decades away

anime was right posted:

coding costing a lot of money is the largest stranglehold on rich people's capital. paying engineers is the most expensive part of almost every major company. you pay people in wv who live at home to code, congrats, the wealth of every tech shareholder just went up.

there's a reason everyone's slamming the "GET A STEM DEGREE" button on the internet and that's because we're looking at a career that is going to pay 40 grand in about 10 years on purpose.

it's already like this outside of major cities

back down south, the best entry-level programming job I had was $12/hr 1099 work that abruptly vanished without telling anyone or paying out the final paycheck when investor storytime stopped bringing in the money. and that was better than the previous programming jobs

the primary motivator behind my move to a big city was that outside of the big tech hubs, there's more experienced programmers than there are programming jobs, so anyone who doesn't already have a few years experience can eat poo poo

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Main Paineframe posted:

actually retraining is poo poo

it's just a lovely consolation prize for someone who would otherwise be completely hosed

instead of losing your job and being completely unemployable because your career is gone, you just get to start all over again as an entry-level grunt who's now competing for jobs against freshly minted college grads because your entire education and work experience was invalidated overnight

yeah let's take a loving fifty-year-old coal worker, send them to a coding bootcamp for a few months, and then dump him in the job market to compete against twenty-year-olds with more education and more coding experience than them. great idea. problem solved.

and that's a best case scenario

more often in practice it's a 50 year old woman laid off from her $20/hr factory job goes to community college to become a cna wiping asses for $8/hr since that's the only option in her dying community other than mcdonalds or walmart

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

paranoid randroid posted:

theres no reason that GMI has to be a pittance but given that the only guy ive seen pitching it lately is Murk Zurkurburg it prolly would be

Even a pittance GMI would still be a net-good thing.

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

AstheWorldWorlds posted:

Being good in theory does not mean it is a realistic solution. It cannot be regulated because you are keeping the very aristocracy you are constraining intact and in full control over society. It has failed, it continues to fail, and it always will fail because you are not changing the power relations in society in any meaningful or sustainable way.

actually that's exactly what regulation is :thunk:

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

What is the alternative? If the coal mine runs out of coal, and you don't know anything other than mining, how do you support yourself? I'm all ears for a tenable alternative that actually helps people.

increase the ssi budget 1000% so their existing economy becomes less fragile

fits my needs
Jan 1, 2011

Grimey Drawer

The Muppets On PCP posted:

increase the ssi budget 1000% so their existing economy becomes less fragile

It's easier to let these small towns be self supporting and drown in economic anxiety and opioids.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
I just realized that the first thing Tim Kaine mentions in the "better skills" part of that op ed is "innovative K-12" education which is an obvious code for charter schools

the democrats' plan to improve employment in America starts with.... union busting

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Communism will help more white people than anyone else. Any equal measures unfairly provide less to minority populations just because there's less of them. Democracy is truly the tyranny of the mob.

paranoid randroid posted:

chelseas tweets are the one unsullied thing left in this dumbass world

It's a pro follow

AstheWorldWorlds
May 4, 2011

Yinlock posted:

actually that's exactly what regulation is :thunk:

Strange. I thought corporate power surged under the ostensibly regulated capitalist order and we are experiencing a wholesale reversal of those regulations which we are powerless to stop because the left was annihilated and anyone remaining was in the service of capital. Must be mistaken.

In your dimension is the work primarily organized by worker cooperatives or some other kind of system?

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Raskolnikov38 posted:

do people that have used the job training programs the democrats create when they can actually exist

yes and at best you're looking at starting out all over again in an entry level job and that's assuming you somehow beat the rampant ageism in hiring practices

on top of it as an older person who at one point had stable income in a community where such a thing is a rarity you're more likely to be the primary care provider for either an elderly parent or child and increasingly grand and sometimes great-grandchildren, so good luck working all that into your busy schedule

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

AstheWorldWorlds posted:

Strange. I thought corporate power surged under the ostensibly regulated capitalist order and we are experiencing a wholesale reversal of those regulations which we are powerless to stop because the left was annihilated and anyone remaining was in the service of capital. Must be mistaken.

In your dimension is the work primarily organized by worker cooperatives or some other kind of system?

lol if you think this is or was even close to regulated

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

when i say regulation i don't mean "little slap on the wrist changes that people whine about" i mean "CEOs shot and killed if they break regulations"

Concerned Citizen
Jul 22, 2007
Ramrod XTreme

Joementum posted:

I just realized that the first thing Tim Kaine mentions in the "better skills" part of that op ed is "innovative K-12" education which is an obvious code for charter schools

the democrats' plan to improve employment in America starts with.... union busting

Not true. Kaine doesn't really have a record of supporting charters, and his wife (Sec of Education) is anti-charter expansion in VA.

AstheWorldWorlds
May 4, 2011

Yinlock posted:

lol if you think this is or was even close to regulated

I'm saying regulation is impossible, because you are restricting the privileges of powerful people who both exist and have the means to reverse them, and then succeed. Looking at reality should make this crystal clear, reading history of attempts to curb elite power without making structural changes (that makes them no longer elites- this would be equivalent to destroying capitalism itself) are almost always miserable failures and should make this clear beyond any shadow of a doubt.

AstheWorldWorlds has issued a correction as of 00:59 on Jul 21, 2017

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Joementum posted:

cc's right it's not necessarily charter schools but removing due process for firing teachers, moving them all to single-year contracts, eliminating pensions, and testing, testing, testing. gotta have more testing

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.
Hillary Clinton owned slaves.

AstheWorldWorlds
May 4, 2011

Yinlock posted:

when i say regulation i don't mean "little slap on the wrist changes that people whine about" i mean "CEOs shot and killed if they break regulations"

if you have the power to do this you have the power to eliminate CEOs/capitalism itself. Do that instead and avoid the forever war you will eventually lose as capitalist elites bolstered by automation resort to outright eliminationism.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

Not true. Kaine doesn't really have a record of supporting charters, and his wife (Sec of Education) is anti-charter expansion in VA.

ok, good to know

I can't imagine any sort of good legislation to encourage "innovative K-12" though. maybe he just means giving kids laptops or some other dumb waste.

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

docbeard posted:

If Bernie were an actual dragon, he would have won.

he's hoarding the progressivestone away from the witch queen

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

Joementum posted:

ok, good to know

I can't imagine any sort of good legislation to encourage "innovative K-12" though. maybe he just means giving kids laptops or some other dumb waste.

coding is now an elective bing bam boom

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool
*sponsored by facebook

• Locked thread