Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Hyper Crab Tank posted:

And here's the 1/3 that turns into a frenzied death cult obsessed with becoming gods by killing everyone and everything, including themselves. :v:

Boy, the machine lifeforms sure are batting 1000 on this whole independence thing, aren't they?

Every major encounter with the machines so far has consisted of them emulating more and more complex aspects of humanity but sort of missing the plot when it comes to fine details.

The first colony tries to emulate the most basic organic instinct, the need to procreate. They dry-hump each other until a Sephiroth happens.

The amusement park 'bots take a shot at the concepts of entertainment and recreation, which leads to endless parades, clown makeup, confetti cannons, and the Party Tank. Those guys have the right idea. Not so much with Simone, who goes mad in her pursuit of aesthetics and romance.

The forest kingdom is exploring the idea of an independent state and loyalty to a monarch, so they're paranoid nutters screaming about honor and duty without having any idea of what those words mean and plotting counterattacks against imaginary foes in the name of a mute and soon-to-be shish-kebobbed baby.

And now we have the factory settlement, which has found religion and the idea of a better life after death. They appear to have collectively decided that, given this premise, it's logical to get the whole "death" bit over with as quickly as possible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MechanicalTomPetty
Oct 30, 2011

Runnin' down a dream
That never would come to me

Deep Dish Fuckfest posted:

Become. As. Gods.

The_Final_Stand posted:

become as gods. become as gods.

megane posted:

b e c o m e a s g o d s (ha) b e c o m e a s g o d s (ho) b e c o m e a s g o d s

Oblivion4568238 posted:

BECOME AS GODS! BECOME AS GODS!

GimmickMan posted:

becomeasgodsbecomeasgods.

What they said. :v:

Hyper Crab Tank
Feb 10, 2014

The 16-bit retro-future of crustacean-based transportation
I love how multi-layered this game is. Just to reiterate what everyone else has been saying, peak :yokotaro: has not yet been reached, so strap in, we've got a long way to go still. :allears:

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

kami ni naru

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal

Hyper Crab Tank posted:

I love how multi-layered this game is. Just to reiterate what everyone else has been saying, peak :yokotaro: has not yet been reached, so strap in, we've got a long way to go still. :allears:

Crazy Train Status: Brakes firmly on, Engine hot and whistling, Rocket boosters unlit.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost
Become as :daryl:

apocalypticCritic
Mar 19, 2014
This whole scene is so great. Very well paced, too. Just creepy enough at the start to put you on edge, but you could believe that things are going to be normal, and then.... BECOME AS GODS.

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

apocalypticCritic posted:

This whole scene is so great. Very well paced, too. Just creepy enough at the start to put you on edge, but you could believe that things are going to be normal, and then.... BECOME AS GODS.

I don't think it's so much you think things are going to be normal...it's that you expect things to go strange one way but it goes strange in an entirely different way.

EDIT: BECOME AS GODS

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

https://twitter.com/rofltrain/status/852064363049398272

Ratoslov
Feb 15, 2012

Now prepare yourselves! You're the guests of honor at the Greatest Kung Fu Cannibal BBQ Ever!

BECOME AS DOGS

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

You've been waiting to-

BECOME AS GODS

vdate
Oct 25, 2010

Ratoslov posted:

BECOME AS DOGS

Now I'm just picturing one of those Tidus Laugh remixes of this track, except with all the laughs replaced with modulated barks.

VolticSurge
Jul 23, 2013

Just your friendly neighborhood photobomb raptor.

BECOME AS CODS

Zoe
Jan 19, 2007
Hair Elf
Well then. So that happened.

I wonder if it's ever explained who killed the robopope. I thought at first it may have been the lady that skewered the forest baby but I remember now it was said she doesn't get mentioned again this run.

quote:

(who is it called that when it’s clearly lousy with machines at all times and fully operational?)

Hyper Crab Tank posted:

Additionally, the Japanese is a little more explicit; カミになる is literally "become gods", not merely "become as gods".

I assume the English was going for the Genesis quote.

Zoe fucked around with this message at 22:27 on Jul 20, 2017

Hyper Crab Tank
Feb 10, 2014

The 16-bit retro-future of crustacean-based transportation
I think they just couldn't figure out a phrase with the same number of syllables that still let them use the plural "gods".

Wonderslug
Apr 3, 2011

You don't say.
Fallen Rib
It's only just occurred to me that these guys disconnected themselves from the network and started a death cult right after Adam disconnected himself from the network to fight a deathmatch, presumably after CCing the entire machine hivemind on a twelve-page humaboo screed about how awesome it is that people die when they are killed.

Good job, Hipsteroth, they learned it from you.

Qrr
Aug 14, 2015

Hyper Crab Tank posted:

I think they just couldn't figure out a phrase with the same number of syllables that still let them use the plural "gods".

Could have been "becoming gods". But I like BECOME AS GODS. It's fun.

i am tim!
Jan 5, 2005

God damn it, where are my ant keys?! I'm gonna miss my flight!

Qrr posted:

"BECOME AS GODS" kinda has that old timey religious talk vibe to it, like when writers have the god complex bad guy shout "I AM COME!" when they show up but without being as hilariously distracting. Heck, being a cult the peculiar language is really fitting. Many will encourage their followers to use specific lingo and talk a certain way as it tends to create a wedge between cult members and people who might try to bring them out.

Not that I think Popebot had much to worry about people luring his followers out, but they're clearly going for the danger cult vibe.

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008

Oxxidation posted:

They dry-hump each other until a Sephiroth happens.

I love this game just for making sentences like this make sense in context.

Also 9S is now clearly trying to cure his machine racism through immersion therapy.

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

That's it! No more hiding in tomato crates! It's time to show that idiota Germany how a real nation fights!

For pasta~! CHARGE!

That happened.
It was, somehow, both what I was expecting and not what I was expecting.
Still, suffer not a jPRG cultist to live.

Oxxidation posted:

Every major encounter with the machines so far has consisted of them emulating more and more complex aspects of humanity but sort of missing the plot when it comes to fine details.
[...]
The forest kingdom is exploring the idea of an independent state and loyalty to a monarch, so they're paranoid nutters screaming about honor and duty without having any idea of what those words mean and plotting counterattacks against imaginary foes in the name of a mute and soon-to-be shish-kebobbed baby.

I dunno, I feel there's some parallel to be had here to actual historical happenings and that the forest robots got even the details fairly accurately.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

The Dark Id posted:

Episode III: A Real Junk Heap

Plug-in Chips are where we can slot in permanent (as long as they’re equipped) upgrades/buffs on 2B. I’m not going to get into that too heavily right now. We cannot really do anything with it until after the Prologue. Properly abusing Chip upgrades is the way to become as gods in this game.

HenryEx posted:

Also, pre-emptively: please don't hint or nudge at the wording TDI chose in this update. You know what i mean.

Lord Licorice posted:

Ha, I noticed it too. Not saying a word.

Req.Martyr posted:

I'm brand new to this game, I hope someone points that nuance out later.

Gnome de plume posted:

I've played it and have no idea what it is.

Ursine Catastrophe posted:

I was going to quote the entire section and allears it but I'll just allears this instead.

:allears:

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

I just thought the "as gods" thing was just a reference to Xenogears.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe
I was waiting for this moment so much. This section is definitely a highlight of the game.

EDIT: \/ yeah, that pic was a bit much.

Mokinokaro fucked around with this message at 00:59 on Jul 21, 2017

David Corbett
Feb 6, 2008

Courage, my friends; 'tis not too late to build a better world.

Mokinokaro posted:

I was waiting for this moment so much.

don't be a creep

The Dark Id
Aug 13, 2005

Why
you
know
I
LOVE
THIS SHIT !!!!
[citation needed]
May as well mention it here, but Thursday I do a Game Adaptation Gulag stream of lovely baffling existing video game movie/cartoon/anime/TV show adaptations with some guests. It's usually 10:00 PM EDT. But there's an early show 9:00 PM EDT tonight (like 45~ minutes from now) if that's your sorta thing. The train wreck magic happens here:

[url]http://www.ustream.tv/channel/2a7ywrawYVH
[/url]

Tonight features an anime based on a game about ninjitsu. Possibly mystical in nature. And the cinematic stylings of a man that beat up Lowtax featuring mercenaries with a desire to shoot a man in the face.

The Dark Id fucked around with this message at 01:17 on Jul 21, 2017

Arkannoyed
Oct 31, 2003

If you're dissatisfied, disappear.
BECOME AS CLODS

BECOME AS CLODS

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic

Ratoslov posted:

BECOME AS DOGS

No one in the NierVerse is a good enough person for that.
No one.
Well, except maybe Yonah and Emil. :3:

FrostyJones
Sep 23, 2012

Jet Jaguar
Feb 12, 2006

Don't touch my bags if you please, Mr Customs Man.

The Pods are kinda like dogs. Well, if your dog flew overhead and was basically a knife missile in all but name. OK, maybe they're not dogs. But they do enjoy a pet, so they can't be all bad. They're good pods, Brent.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

:worship:

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

We, the Knights who say Nines demand...

A Pure Water!

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Well, that went about as well as I'd expect from a Yoko Taro joint.

And now I want to see how Yoko Taro would handle a Monty Python sketch.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

AradoBalanga posted:

Well, that went about as well as I'd expect from a Yoko Taro joint.

And now I want to see how Yoko Taro would handle a Monty Python sketch.

You mean the Black Knight Scene from Holy Grail was not written by him?

oath2order
Oct 12, 2013

It's MAGIC. I don't have to explain shit!

motherfuck. I reread that update after finishing the game and totally missed he fit that in there.

pulsor93
Mar 3, 2015

Qrr posted:

I originally thought they were saying, "BECOME ITS GODS."

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~
I just watched some adorable alien robots become deranged cultists. Good to see Yoko Taro has kept his wonderful madness.

Know Such Peace
Dec 30, 2008

Deep Dish Fuckfest posted:

Crazy Train Status: Brakes firmly on, Engine hot and whistling, Rocket boosters unlit.

I consider these posts official :yokotaro: meter readings.

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

I'm gonna commit heresy and say I like the This Cannot Continue version better.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Kavak posted:

I'm gonna commit heresy and say I like the This Cannot Continue version better.

https://twitter.com/rofltrain/status/852422636122419202

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Snark
Oct 15, 2012

I'M SORRY, OK!? I admit I've made some mistakes, and Jones has clearly paid for them.
But ma'am! Jones' only crime was looking at the wrong files!
I beg of you, don't ship away Jones, he has a wife and kids!

-United Nations Intelligence Service

I love those last two bots.

"Come on Steve, don't you want to become as gods?"
"No."
"Steeeeeeveeee-"
"I SAID NO DAMMIT"

• Locked thread