Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Serf
May 5, 2011

DalaranJ posted:

Which is more important fashion sense or technology level?

the answer will always be fashion sense

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

ImpactVector posted:

For a Battlemech I hope.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/855767049/xas-irkalla

slap me and kiss me
Apr 1, 2008

You best protect ya neck
I was going to photoshop up a completed character sheet, but I'm feeling lazy, so just pretend I posted it.

ImpactVector
Feb 24, 2007

HAHAHAHA FOOLS!!
I AM SO SMART!

Uh oh. What did he do now?

Nap Ghost

quote:

Strain is a hybrid system that blends narrativist story-telling with simulationist combat. The combat is not quite crunchy, but it has a bite to it. Combat is modular, so if you prefer a purely narrative system, you do not have to use the combat rules.
*In extremely Bitching Betty voice*
Critical hit: sensors.

LongDarkNight
Oct 25, 2010

It's like watching the collapse of Western civilization in fast forward.
Oven Wrangler

quote:

"Dark as poo poo. And better than Fate." - Davae Breon Jaxon, Critical Hit Publishing

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

Dec 26, 2012

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

suffer a blackened birth into a desolate realm of surreal horror

Also:

quote:

There is no skill list. Characters are made with 5 randomly rolled background words.

I have to admit, "randomly roll five words and throw the resulting terrible little guy through a metalhead ninth-grader's math notebook doodle world" sounds like it would be fun for about ten minutes. Maybe fifteen?

slap me and kiss me
Apr 1, 2008

You best protect ya neck
Bet that guy knows how to play wonderwall

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
I like that kickstarter to be honest. It's really specifically on target - if you're not really into black metal it's not going to work for you, but it looks like it does that really well. You'd need a group willing to listen to Blut Aus Nord or whatever during it.

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

God that thing reminds me of the stupid racist heartbreaker made by the murderer from Mayhem. This does give me a chuckle though:

"The greatest inspirations for this world are Cormac McCarthy's The Road, satanic black metal, and ancient Mesopotamia. This is not another dark fantasy of Tolkien's, Lovecraft's, or Martin's influence. This is a survival horror game at its core."

poo poo yeah give me more Mesopotamian influences in media and poo poo. That's not a joke. The rest of it makes me laugh a little, just not that part.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

https://twitter.com/netflix/status/888170165657096193

I love Shadowrun!

Serf
May 5, 2011

Urban Arcana meets Training Day. Looks cool.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

I love Shadowrun but this looks miserable.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
I feel like Shadowrun, except you're the cops, is kinda missing the point.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

gradenko_2000 posted:

Man sometimes you just wanna be the jackbooted thugs. That's the entire point of Syndicate

unseenlibrarian
Jun 4, 2012

There's only one thing in the mountains that leaves a track like this. The creature of legend that roams the Timberline. My people named him Sasquatch. You call him... Bigfoot.
I think looking at this as Shadowrun but you're the cops" is the wrong angle when it's obviously "Alien nation but with fantasyland"

Serf
May 5, 2011

Its not really Shadowrun at all though. It is 100% Training Day/End of Watch cop movie in LA. They just had David Ayer make the movie he's good at making but with orcs and magic.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Suicide Squad was an insanely bad movie and while I liked Fury it's the exception in a really bad slump since Training Day so I'm not that excited for another David Ayer movie/series

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

gradenko_2000 posted:

This can't be shadowrun, there aren't enough people hopping along brick walls

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8GPGQoR6f6w

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Nuns with Guns posted:

God I knew exactly what video that was before I even clicked it.

Still owns.

unseenlibrarian
Jun 4, 2012

There's only one thing in the mountains that leaves a track like this. The creature of legend that roams the Timberline. My people named him Sasquatch. You call him... Bigfoot.
A Night's Work is my second favorite 90s low-budget RPG tie-in video.

(The first is a tie between Dragonstrike and Wildspace.)

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

gradenko_2000 posted:

Still owns.

I'm glad they were play-accurate what with the decker going off on their own for half the entire thing for a bizarre nonsense adventure through terrible metaphors to do what amounts to "wardial a password and download a file".

Those graphics looked really familiar even though I've never seen this before. Did they pay some low-rent 3D animator to make that poo poo, and then reuse shots of it for the 2nd edition core book?

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

Nuns with Guns posted:

Holy poo poo this is amazing!

oriongates
Mar 14, 2013

Validate Me!

It's how I sold an RPG newbie on Shadowrun

(of course using my SW hack rather than actual shadowrun, would never subject a new player to that)

LuiCypher
Apr 24, 2010

Today I'm... amped up!

gradenko_2000 posted:

Still owns.

Likewise.

Anytime I see these kinds of representations of cyberspace, I just remind myself: there's no way it can be as bad as BloodNet.

oriongates posted:

It's how I sold an RPG newbie on Shadowrun

(of course using my SW hack rather than actual shadowrun, would never subject a new player to that)

I think I picked this up on the forums, but my basic understanding of character generation in Shadowrun is 'you want to be rolling at least 10 die for something you're supposed to be good at'.

So yeah, get ready for combat to slog like hell because everything requires a fistful of d6s. Either that or force your group to use a digital die roller which takes all of the busywork out of it (meaning that it is good). I think it's very telling when the computer adaptations of Shadowrun, which would be perfectly suited to that kind of number crunching, abandon the system entirely.

LuiCypher fucked around with this message at 15:46 on Jul 21, 2017

Gobbeldygook
May 13, 2009
Hates Native American people and tries to justify their genocides.

Put this racist on ignore immediately!

LuiCypher posted:

I think I picked this up on the forums, but my basic understanding of character generation in Shadowrun is 'you want to be rolling at least 10 die for something you're supposed to be good at'.

So yeah, get ready for combat to slog like hell because everything requires a fistful of d6s. Either that or force your group to use a digital die roller which takes all of the busywork out of it (meaning that it is good). I think it's very telling when the computer adaptations of Shadowrun, which would be perfectly suited to that kind of number crunching, abandon the system entirely.
Combat in Shadowrun involves a lot of dice, but it's counterbalanced by most people going down in two hits.

Phimose Knight
Mar 5, 2013

D20klok?

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

unseenlibrarian posted:

A Night's Work is my second favorite 90s low-budget RPG tie-in video.

(The first is a tie between Dragonstrike and Wildspace.)

You can't mention those and not link them.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FF1_IHliRhI

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UHGz5r-b1do

I love how the Wildspace thing is pretty much just "Guardians of the Galaxy: 80's Fantasy Edition".

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.
The AD&D 2e Core Rules CD-rom had an intro video that was hideously early-90s CG but I have fond memories of it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jslR11hhrYY

neaden
Nov 4, 2012

A changer of ways
DriveThruRpg is having a Christmas in July Sale. 25% off a bunch of stuff including Onyx Path, Keven Crawfords stuff, Shadowrun, and a bunch more.

Agent Rush
Aug 30, 2008

You looked, Junker!
I'm not sure if it was this thread, but someone mentioned Infestation: An RPG of Bugs and Heroes and it seems to have fallen off of the internet. Does anyone know where I can buy it, it sounded interesting.

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

neaden posted:

DriveThruRpg is having a Christmas in July Sale. 25% off a bunch of stuff including Onyx Path, Keven Crawfords stuff, Shadowrun, and a bunch more.

Why is the original, unrevised two-book set for The One Ring in there?

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Agent Rush posted:

I'm not sure if it was this thread, but someone mentioned Infestation: An RPG of Bugs and Heroes and it seems to have fallen off of the internet. Does anyone know where I can buy it, it sounded interesting.
The PDF seems to have been deliberately scrubbed. Maybe contact their customer service? Paizo and NewEgg are selling hardbacks.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

Splicer posted:

The PDF seems to have been deliberately scrubbed. Maybe contact their customer service? Paizo and NewEgg are selling hardbacks.

I guess it must have been a licensed product and/or some owned something in it and Eloy Lasanta lost the rights to it.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Covok posted:

I guess it must have been a licensed product and/or some owned something in it and Eloy Lasanta lost the rights to it.
There's a lot of things called "Infestation", maybe someone threw a trademark claim at them?

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

Is there a game that's otherwise similar to the dungeon crawl-ish D&D/pathfinder/OSR vibe*, but where each player's "character" is a small (2-4 character) team instead of an individual? Preferably with rules that do something with the concept, as opposed to being basic D&D but everyone gets 3 PCS or whatever.

*You know, with dwarfs and wizards and magic swords and going in dungeons and fighting orcs and stuff.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Dungeon Crawl Classics funnel?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

A bit like that, but extended throughout the game. WIth teamwork combos and stuff building up as you level.

• Locked thread