Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

While the villain part sounds like liberal pandering, which was probably inevitable, I'm glad the movie seems to upset people who wring their hands over "likable characters".

Imo the most important part of any story.

Note: Simmons, Powers, and Gamby are all likable characters to some degree.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
It's such an incredibly pathetic sentiment, and always gives me the impression of a very lonely person. e: And it's a very cargo cult-ish way of reading fiction.

Not to mention that examples of "likable" characters are always questionable, like Han Solo (drug trafficker) or, you know, Tony Stark.

BravestOfTheLamps fucked around with this message at 10:57 on Jul 21, 2017

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Uh huh

Serf
May 5, 2011

Valerian looks dope. Gonna see it tonight. Never read the comic, but Luc Besson has made some cool stuff in the past and the movie looks like it will have wonderful visuals. The movie is definitely for sure gonna bomb hard though.

Electromax
May 6, 2007

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

Not to mention that examples of "likable" characters are always questionable, like Han Solo (drug trafficker) or, you know, Tony Stark.

Don't forget Marge Gunderson.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Han Solo and Tony Stark are likeable because both the characters and the actors are charismatic. Dane DeHann/Valerian and Cara Delevigne/Laureline are not in the slightest.

TURTLE SLUT
Dec 12, 2005

Boo, I had high hopes for Valerian. I'll still go see it but with low expectations.

I love Dane DeHaan but he makes zero sense as a sympathetic action adventure protagonist, he just... looks weird. I have no idea what the casting people were thinking. Delevingne could do a good job I suppose.

Serf
May 5, 2011

The only showing of Valerian in 2D at the local theater is while I'm at work. Lame. Guess I'll go see it tomorrow.

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Spent my walletfull, on a jpeg, desolate, will croberts make a whale of me yet?
I loved the fifth element, I like sci-fi, I liked dane dehaan in Asm2.

I just cannot stand Cara delevigne, I don't like her face, I thought she was possibly the shittest thing in suicide squad (which is saying a lot) and I think she's a poo poo "actress" if you can even call her that.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

I've always said that more films need to feature unlikeable assholes who learn absolutely nothing over the course of the film.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Current rumor buzz I'm reading on twitter is that Matthew Vaughn and Patty Jenkins are both prime candidates to direct Man of Steel 2. I'd be cool with either of them :allears:

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Co-direct

I'd prefer Jenkins probably. I wonder if they will try to put Wonder Woman in every movie whenever possible like Iron Man in Marvel.

John Wick of Dogs fucked around with this message at 14:28 on Jul 21, 2017

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
I don't think characters have to be likeable, they just have to be interesting. People love watching some obviously awful characters if they're interesting and you want to see what they do next. Likeability is just one of the easier ways to get an audience invested in a character.

On another note, pondering the DC movies and how there's a running theme, and not a particular subtle one, of the caped characters being mythologised, and often mythologising themselves. Superman is seen as a god or saviour, and is uncomfortable with the idea, but seems hesitant to refute if only because it seems to be the way people can accept and appreciate him. Batman obviously actively works to make himself a symbol, and by the time of the movie is going into overdrive with his bat-brand to try to have more impact, culminating in Bruce mythologising himself and his family as hunters. And Wonder Woman, obviously, is a living myth, who sees herself Quixotically as a hero on a quest to slay the villain and restore peace to the land. (She is basically Don Quixote who actually has the power to back it up, but not yet the wisdom) When the myth is stripped away, she loses direction. They are, quite rightly, all very concerned about what the world at large thinks of them and categorises them as; Batman tries to carve out a niche, Superman has to whether he wants to or not, and Wonder Woman hides from the world until she meets her peers.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Chairman Capone posted:

Just saw Valerian. The theater was almost empty - maybe a dozen or so total besides me, and I think at least four of them walked out about the 2/3 mark. My views (keeping in mind I have not read the comics):

The pros:
  • Great visuals and designs for the aliens, ships, environments (at least most of the time) and some interesting sci-fi concepts. Main reason I wanted to see the movie in the first place.
  • Ethan Hawke and Rihanna put in good, if small, performances. (Honestly, I thought Rihanna was better than either of the main leads.)
  • Really liked the opening credits montage.
  • The villains were a racist military officer who uses human access to the galactic free market and claims of cultural superiority to justify covering up genocide, which seems tailor made to appeal to the CineD crowd.

The cons:
  • The story was trite and the dialogue was bland.
  • Way, way too long. There was no reason this was almost 2.5 hours long. None at all.
  • At multiple points throughout the movie, major plot points are given out in huge chunks of expository dialogue. Rutger Hauer is wasted so he can give a 30 second monologue during the opening credits to help set up the premise.
  • Dane DeHaan and Cara Delevigne are really wooden actors and have no chemistry with each other, even though 90% of their interactions are supposed to be endearing flirtations. Almost none of the other actors in here acquitted themselves much, either.
  • Related to the above, Valerian was a completely unsympathetic and annoying/borderline gross character. He was probably intended to come across as a charming Han Solo rogue type but was portrayed more like a sleazy PUA in space. This may have to do with my above point about Dane DeHaan.
  • This felt very derivative. I know people are going to say that Mass Effect and Star Wars and Blade Runner stole stuff from the original comics or whatever, but even beyond the visual references (and whether that's true or not, as someone who hasn't read the comics but has seen those movies/games, it's really hard not to see them being pretty blatant in some of the designs) there are shots clearly borrowing from iconic Star Wars scenes and other shots clearly inspired by sci-fi FPS games, Cara Delevigne even has an "I have a bad feeling about this," and to be honest, there were multiple times when I felt like the movie was recreating parts of The Phantom Menace, of all movies.
  • Again, perhaps related to the above, this felt less like a movie and more like watching a Let's Play of Mass Effect or EVE or something like that.

The weird:
  • There's a space hooker who imitates Jessica Rabbit.

Ultimately, while I did really love a lot of the visuals in the movie, I can't really recommend it.

Hmmm

- "unrelatable" main character
- "looks like a video game"
- references to Phantom Menace
- beautiful visuals

I think we've found CineD's movie of the year!

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
There's no question Valerian is good if the criticism of it is that it's annoyingly unconventional.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
Valerian being an "unlikable" dullard certainly gives me faith in the movie as an adaptation. Just like in the comics!

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

How scary was Valerian? I have a small child I would like to maybe take if it wasn't too scary, and one trailer I saw kind of cut it like a kid's film. And was it particularly gory? And was the depiction of women decent or were they mostly objectified?

The D in Detroit
Oct 13, 2012
are the quips on point?

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
I wanna go see Valerian but it doesn't get released here in Australia until August 10, what the gently caress.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

Al Borland Corp. posted:

How scary was Valerian? I have a small child I would like to maybe take if it wasn't too scary, and one trailer I saw kind of cut it like a kid's film. And was it particularly gory? And was the depiction of women decent or were they mostly objectified?

They will love Rihanna's character.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

RevolverDivider posted:

Death Note looks interesting, and I like that they're willing to change stuff and do a different spin on it. Light was a supervillain from day one in the anime, and it looks like they're going for a more gradual descent into insanity which plays better for this.

I normally don't care about fidelity to the source, but the Ddaw of Death Note to me wasn't the conceit of the Note itself, it was two sociopaths going at it because of their egos - basically Sherlock vs. Moriarty with a supernatural twist, with the protagonist being Morarty this time. Losing the "they are both sociopaths from the start" aspect kind of loses the point of it to me.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

DeimosRising posted:

You do know the action choreographer on The Matrix was Yuen Woo Ping, director of Drunken Master and Snake In Eagle's Shadow (among a pile of other all time greats), right?

He was working with people that weren't forced into child slavery in theatrical schools their whole lives and it hurt the choreography greatly.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World
To me the success of Valerian hinges ENTIRELY on if it's bugfuck French fried crazy like the Fifth Element was.

My fear is that it's TOO normal and will bore me.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

There's no question Valerian is good if the criticism of it is that it's annoyingly unconventional.

Everyone reviewing Valerian seemingly pretends they liked Fifth Element all along, which muddles the poo poo out of things because I *know* 90% of them hated it when it came out for being weird and French and poo poo.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Seriously. Every single review seems to criticize Valerian for the exact same poo poo Fifth Element is guilty of.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World
Bruce Willis almost murders the high command by stuffing them into his apartment's freezer.

It's all gold. Give me 9 hours of that poo poo now.

His cat Sweetie pulls the best animal reaction shot in cinema history. RUBY RHOD? ON *MY* TV?!? :wotwot:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

Guy A. Person posted:

Hmmm

- "unrelatable" main character
- "looks like a video game"
- references to Phantom Menace
- beautiful visuals

I think we've found CineD's movie of the year!

Does it have "subtext"?

The D in Detroit
Oct 13, 2012
Sometimes a Valerian is just a Valerian.

Really looking forward to it, watched Lucy a week ago and got me hyped as gently caress.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

BiggerBoat posted:

Does it have "subtext"?

Everything does if you "read into it" enough!

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Guy A. Person posted:

Everything does if you "read into it" enough!

But what are you really saying?

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

You would understand if you could use more than 10% of your brain. But alas, that is the upper limit for human beings.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Al Borland Corp. posted:

You would understand if you could use more than 10% of your brain. But alas, that is the upper limit for human beings.

whoosh

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

It is a Lucy joke!

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

I...I whooshed myself.

:negative:

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

BiggerBoat posted:

Does it have "subtext"?

Valerian doesn't do "subtext".

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Al Borland Corp. posted:

I'm sort of curious about this too. I have an autistic little brother who might love this movie, but if it's a particularly hard PG-13 it might not be great for him (though he's been able to do stuff like Edge of Tomorrow and the F&F movies without HUGE issue- he was scared by the former at first and then he realized it was, in his view, a Minecraft movie and Tom Cruise just needed to put the difficulty on Peaceful).

The D in Detroit
Oct 13, 2012
Time travel hasn't been invented yet, but in thirty years, it will have been.

Drifter posted:

I watched Lucy a few months ago and thought it was pretty boring as gently caress.

:getout:

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

SleepCousinDeath posted:

Sometimes a Valerian is just a Valerian.

Really looking forward to it, watched Lucy a week ago and got me hyped as gently caress.

I watched Lucy a few months ago and thought it was pretty uncompelling as gently caress.
It was nice to theoretically have a woman-starring action thing, but meh. Of course I also thought John Wick was also relatively uninteresting - it had a better cast of characters, at least.

I guess they're both uninteresting action movies done well, if that makes sense.

Drifter fucked around with this message at 17:11 on Jul 21, 2017

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

Hey guys did you know that the whole we only use 10% of our brain thing is a myth? As a smart science person I want to make sure you guys know this little known factoid.

Crows Turn Off
Jan 7, 2008

I hated Lucy, it was god awful. I wish I could generalize everyone who liked it as an idiot, but I liked BvS so I'm not better than them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

IShallRiseAgain posted:

Hey guys did you know that the whole we only use 10% of our brain thing is a myth? As a smart science person I want to make sure you guys know this little known factoid.

No no, the 10% thing is how much average brain activity you use in order to appreciate an MCU movie...or the average activity of a person who dislikes MoS/BvS.

• Locked thread