Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.
Yo, Chairmen Capone, you didn't answer the question of whether the space hooker sings "Why Don't You Do Right?"

Also, Death Note is going to rule. The atmosphere is on point.

In fact, it's borderline Raimi-esque.

edit:

Calling it: better than/actually good version of The Purge

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

There's no question Valerian is good if the criticism of it is that it's annoyingly unconventional.

Valerian isn't annoyingly unconventional, it's utterly conventional. Its format is about two and a half hours of "Valerian and Laureline get into a fight while trying to get a macguffin, make stilted quips at each other in a monotone while shooting their blasters, run to the next scene, another character infodumps the next plot objective to them, repeat." The visuals are the least conventional thing about it, and they're great for the most part, but there's nothing innovative or out of the ordinary about the rest of the movie.

Al Borland Corp. posted:

How scary was Valerian? I have a small child I would like to maybe take if it wasn't too scary, and one trailer I saw kind of cut it like a kid's film. And was it particularly gory? And was the depiction of women decent or were they mostly objectified?

For scary and gory, I didn't really think it was all that much. There's a lot of sci-fi gun violence and one alien gets his head cut in half with some yellow goop coming out, but it's played more for laughs than anything really shocking. There's also a scene where a character is getting tortured, but you don't actually see any of the torture. Then again, I guess I am kind of desensitized to violence compared to a small kid. I don't really think it's that scary, though.

As for women, there are essentially only two women characters in the movie. One is Laureline, and her entire arc with Valerian for the movie is him trying to convince her to marry him so he can finally gently caress her and whether or not she's going to say yes. The movie begins with him trying to gently caress her, she says no because he fucks all the women he works with, and he says that if she marries him it will show that he loves her and will stop womanizing and they can finally gently caress. Add on to this the complete lack of chemistry or charisma from either of them. Laureline also complains a lot about her clothes getting ruined and there are a few jokes about her being a bad driver.

The other woman in the movie is Rihanna, who (I guess minor spoilers) is a shape-changing alien stripper who's been enslaved to Ethan Hawke since she was 4 years old and puts on a show with various fetish outfits for Valerian, before he helps her escape. She then gets killed a few minutes later.

K. Waste posted:

Yo, Chairmen Capone, you didn't answer the question of whether the space hooker sings "Why Don't You Do Right?"

I wish, that at least would have been annoyingly unconventional.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Crows Turn Off posted:

I hated Lucy, it was god awful. I wish I could generalize everyone who liked it as an idiot, but I liked BvS so I'm not better than them.

I tried really hard to just ignore the fact that the "She uses more than 10% of her brain!" plot was really dumb and just roll with it (Besson was aware that it was just a myth but thought it was an interesting hook for a scifi story anyway) but they kept packing in even more dumbness.

quote:

During the plane ride, she starts to disintegrate as her cells destabilize from consuming a sip of champagne, which made her body inhospitable for cellular reproduction.

:wtc:

But it made a whole bunch of money and a sequel was put into development back in 2015 so I guess maybe we'll be seeing more of that. On the other hand Besson allegedly took 10 years to get Lucy made so who knows how long it'll take him to get a sequel done. :haw:

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

You're basically repeating over and over what a faithful and loving adaptation this is, right down to the stilted dialogue and style of exposition.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

Valerian being an "unlikable" dullard certainly gives me faith in the movie as an adaptation. Just like in the comics!

Isn't the whole deal in the comics that Valerian is essentially Zap Brannigan, and Laureline is the one who actually gets poo poo done?

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Chairman Capone posted:

The other woman in the movie is Rihanna, who (I guess minor spoilers) is a shape-changing alien stripper who's been enslaved to Ethan Hawke since she was 4 years old and puts on a show with various fetish outfits for Valerian, before he helps her escape. She then gets killed a few minutes later.

:stonk:

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

DeimosRising posted:

You do know the action choreographer on The Matrix was Yuen Woo Ping, director of Drunken Master and Snake In Eagle's Shadow (among a pile of other all time greats), right?

Does that really matter, though? Yuen Woo Ping is always genius but the first poster said they felt like the church scene in Kingsman wasn't as impressive for someone familiar with Jackie Chan. Someone familiar with martial arts films in general (especially Jet Li) could have felt the same when watching The Matrix, especially since the main cast in that were nowhere near the calibre of Chan or Li and because there's such heavy use of obvious wirework, i.e. few of the film's most spectacular and memorable moves had less to do with the physical skill of the actors.

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Think of the good things, Pim! The good things!

Like Jesus, candy, and crackerjacks! Ice cream and cake and lots o'laffs!
Grandma, Grandpa, and Uncle Joe! Larry, Curly, and brother Moe!
WB is "easing" Affleck out of the DCEU at some point in the near future, increasingly unlikely to star in The Batman.

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/ben-afflecks-batman-future-doubt-as-warner-bros-plots-franchise-future-1023296

Crows Turn Off
Jan 7, 2008

Barry Convex posted:

WB is "easing" Affleck out of the DCEU at some point in the near future, increasingly unlikely to star in The Batman.

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/ben-afflecks-batman-future-doubt-as-warner-bros-plots-franchise-future-1023296
Affleck rules as Batman, so I hope this ends up being wrong.

The D in Detroit
Oct 13, 2012

Barry Convex posted:

I refuse to believe any of this.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
This is bad. Affleck is a great Batman and Wayne. Oh well hopefully we will get a good replacement for a Detective Batman

Why I hear Idris Elba, Nathan Fillion and such are available...as is Helen Mirren and Tilda Swinton

Come to think of it, Helen Mirren as Alfred and Tilda as Batman sounds good. As does Elba and Irons

Gatts fucked around with this message at 18:45 on Jul 21, 2017

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Maybe they'll recast him with a younger "in his prime" Batman and we'll get a trilogy of films that take place long before the embittered BvS version of the character. Bonus if they're able to stretch the timeline and be 80s period pieces.

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Oh, well, that's all water under the bridge, as I always say. Water under the bridge!

It's never explicitly said what happened to Dick Grayson in BvS. I'd be totally down with a story about him coming back and taking on the mantle after Batman vanishes in a boomtube or some poo poo. Plus we might get a Dick Grayson/Damian Wayne teamup out of it, which was one of the most enjoyable interpretations of the character in decades. Batman is Batman, but it would be a fun way to explore new territory.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

feedmyleg posted:

Maybe they'll recast him with a younger "in his prime" Batman and we'll get a trilogy of films that take place long before the embittered BvS version of the character. Bonus if they're able to stretch the timeline and be 80s period pieces.

Batman '66 played completely straight do it

Ape Agitator
Feb 19, 2004

Soylent Green is Monkeys
College Slice

Al Borland Corp. posted:

How scary was Valerian? I have a small child I would like to maybe take if it wasn't too scary, and one trailer I saw kind of cut it like a kid's film. And was it particularly gory? And was the depiction of women decent or were they mostly objectified?

The scariest thing is an (trailer level spoilers) extended extinction level event. Gore is sub Fifth Element in that two cartoony looking guys lose their heads. A fair amount of sci fi shooting of faceless guys. Long, high falls if heights are a concern.

Mixed bag on women. Sometimes Laureline is a capable fighter, sometimes she's a damsel in a literal dress. Rihanna straight up does a very long strip dance with sexy nurse and sexy maid varieties so... Yeah. Definite objectification among with a desperate need for male approval. After that she turns out alright, fighting and being an unsexy blob. On par with the level of uncomfortability you'd feel during Return of the Jedi.

Edit: I'll just say, less great for women than any other Luc Besson related movie I can think of other than like The Transporter.

Ape Agitator fucked around with this message at 19:30 on Jul 21, 2017

Syncopated
Oct 21, 2010

feedmyleg posted:

They should do the same thing as the x-men prequels and just do Batman through the ages.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

You're basically repeating over and over what a faithful and loving adaptation this is, right down to the stilted dialogue and style of exposition.

Chairman Capone posted:

As for women, there are essentially only two women characters in the movie. One is Laureline, and her entire arc with Valerian for the movie is him trying to convince her to marry him so he can finally gently caress her and whether or not she's going to say yes. The movie begins with him trying to gently caress her, she says no because he fucks all the women he works with, and he says that if she marries him it will show that he loves her and will stop womanizing and they can finally gently caress. Add on to this the complete lack of chemistry or charisma from either of them. Laureline also complains a lot about her clothes getting ruined and there are a few jokes about her being a bad driver.

That's really NOT accurate to the comic and kind of deflates my interest in the movie.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

If Affleck is gone i'll be really disappointed. He was loving amazing. God gently caress listening to loving whiny nerds.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Lobok posted:

Does that really matter, though? Yuen Woo Ping is always genius but the first poster said they felt like the church scene in Kingsman wasn't as impressive for someone familiar with Jackie Chan. Someone familiar with martial arts films in general (especially Jet Li) could have felt the same when watching The Matrix, especially since the main cast in that were nowhere near the calibre of Chan or Li and because there's such heavy use of obvious wirework, i.e. few of the film's most spectacular and memorable moves had less to do with the physical skill of the actors.

I just think complaints about the (excellent) action in The Matrix often, and in this case explicitly, come with a heh, how can you enjoy this American pablum obviously you haven't seen the brilliant work of the Chinese masters :smug: when it's actually "how can you enjoy the work of Yuen Woo Ping with real money I have seen the work of Yuen Woo Ping with seven yuan and a tray of jiaozi as his whole budget". A gifted cast of physical actors is a huge plus but wouldn't even be appropriate for the setting, style, themes, or aesthetic of The Matrix. I think complaints about wirework amount to the same thing as complaints about CGI

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Barry Convex posted:

Ridiculous.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Vintersorg posted:

If Affleck is gone i'll be really disappointed. He was loving amazing. God gently caress listening to loving whiny nerds.

Same. I'm really annoyed because there's still like five DC films out before The Batman and it's not like there's a shortage of Batman films. Hell, we had a theatrical one earlier this year even.

Crows Turn Off
Jan 7, 2008

It's still just a rumor at this point, isn't it? Has this source provided any other information that proved to be true? We have no idea who it is.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
lol there are two Batman movies just this year and you're worried about future Batman movies.

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

The rumor doesn't seem to be going away along with all the headaches / drama / whatever surrounding production on The Batman.

It would be neat to have a non Bruce Wayne representation in their DC world.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
I'm surprised the Hollywood Reporter would run a story that sounds so much as fear mongering bullshit like that. Especially the bit about Affleck getting too old and then in the next line admit RDJr is still going strong as Ironman.

Like, seriously?

Ape Agitator
Feb 19, 2004

Soylent Green is Monkeys
College Slice

MonsieurChoc posted:

That's really NOT accurate to the comic and kind of deflates my interest in the movie.

I liked the two of them in the first few scenes of the movie but she has better overall connection with this movie's version of Zorg's mini suck beast.

For what it's worth, I like her more than him just because the has a few funny face moments that, while not feeling in character at least show character.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

DeimosRising posted:

I just think complaints about the (excellent) action in The Matrix often, and in this case explicitly, come with a heh, how can you enjoy this American pablum obviously you haven't seen the brilliant work of the Chinese masters :smug: when it's actually "how can you enjoy the work of Yuen Woo Ping with real money I have seen the work of Yuen Woo Ping with seven yuan and a tray of jiaozi as his whole budget". A gifted cast of physical actors is a huge plus but wouldn't even be appropriate for the setting, style, themes, or aesthetic of The Matrix. I think complaints about wirework amount to the same thing as complaints about CGI

The comparison would be arguments against someone saying the action in Hard Target is great or the action in Rush Hour is great. If you've seen The Killer and Hard Boiled, etc. already, you'll probably have a different opinion of the lesser version of some of the same stuff in Hard Target, while if you haven't, you might think that some of that stuff is really awesome. Same with The Matrix, the fight scenes were lesser version of things we've seen in wuxia films, and would be underwhelming to people who had already seen those, while being fresh and new and more amazing for someone who hadn't. The actual fight scenes in The Matrix aren't really good at all (Reloaded actually improved them a great deal, probably helped by Keanu not being as injured and more used to it), but other things stand out in the film that make them "good enough."

Darko fucked around with this message at 19:57 on Jul 21, 2017

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Oh, well, that's all water under the bridge, as I always say. Water under the bridge!

I'd be far less inclined to believe the rumor if things like Affleck giving up the difector's chair and his script being dumped hadn't already been confirmed. Look, I think Affleck was a great Batman in a very poor movie. The problem is that the script to that movie leaned so heavily on such a very particular interpretation that it's kind of made it hard to see daylight on they other side. By all accounts, this isn't just a WB move; there have been plenty of rumors about Affleck himself wanting out. And if that's the case, it might be better for all parties involved. Affleck goes back to directing solid dramas and crime capers, and the DCEU gets soft-rebooted using Wonder Woman as a tonal measuring stick.

That's win-win to me.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

Ape Agitator posted:

I liked the two of them in the first few scenes of the movie but she has better overall connection with this movie's version of Zorg's mini suck beast.

Again, faithful adaptation.

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Think of the good things, Pim! The good things!

Like Jesus, candy, and crackerjacks! Ice cream and cake and lots o'laffs!
Grandma, Grandpa, and Uncle Joe! Larry, Curly, and brother Moe!

Crows Turn Off posted:

It's still just a rumor at this point, isn't it? Has this source provided any other information that proved to be true? We have no idea who it is.

it's the fuckin' Hollywood Reporter, not a random fansite, christ

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

Fart City posted:

the script to that movie leaned so heavily on such a very particular interpretation that it's kind of made it hard to see daylight on they other side.

Assuming the "daylight" you're referring to is the return of a heroic Batman, this daylight comes at the end of Batman v Superman, where Batman says "whoops, I was a real jerk in this one. <inspiring speech>"

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

I'm surprised there aren't more articles like this, to be honest. Every time some site publishes an article on the DC films, it's about how everything is doomed to failure and that they're self-immolating and how everyone involved is a secret nazi Objectivist or somesuch rubbish. But I clicked that link so they got my hit.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Darko posted:

The actual fight scenes in The Matrix aren't really good at all

Just to understand what you two are talking about, you're addressing specifically the hand-to-hand martials arts stuff in The Matrix, not the entirety of the action, right? That is to say, you're not talking about the bullet-time gunplay, which was a huge part of the first movie.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

Barry Convex posted:

it's the fuckin' Hollywood Reporter, not a random fansite, christ

Is unusually vague for it though.

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

Assuming the "daylight" you're referring to is the return of a heroic Batman, this daylight comes at the end of Batman v Superman, where Batman says "whoops, I was a real jerk in this one. <inspiring speech>"

I meant in the context of reading an alternate approach. Snyder's Batman is fairly cornered in some aspects: the age, the bloodyhirstiness, the propensity for murder, and so forth. That interpretation is dominated by very weighted choices placed on the character.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Fart City posted:

I meant in the context of reading an alternate approach. Snyder's Batman is fairly cornered in some aspects: the age, the bloodyhirstiness, the propensity for murder, and so forth. That interpretation is dominated by very weighted choices placed on the character.

The character is in a place where an interesting story could be told about him changing after his encounter with Superman, but you're right that if they don't want to tell that story he's pretty boxed in. If that's not what Matt Reeves wants to do, I could see a soft relaunch with a new Batman. But I hope they don't since I want to see the story they set up in Batman's last appearance.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

Fart City posted:

Oh, right. Yeah I get exactly what you mean. He definitely "locked in" big parts of the character, but my experience is that as long as it's made even vaguely plausible, most people will accept any development that moves the character toward a power fantasy.

Megaman's Jockstrap fucked around with this message at 20:14 on Jul 21, 2017

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Fart City posted:

I love this because it's a scenario any writer should be drooling over. Oh man wow, how could we possibly write a noir film where the lead is morally and ethically compromised? There must be a way to decaffinate him and make him palatable.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

I'm surprised the Hollywood Reporter would run a story that sounds so much as fear mongering bullshit like that. Especially the bit about Affleck getting too old and then in the next line admit RDJr is still going strong as Ironman.

Like, seriously?

It's not even like the Iron Man role requires RDJ to do a ton of stunts, the action scenes are pretty much totally CGI and even when they're not they seem to use stand-ins pretty frequently. Also RDJ only has to stay relatively skinny for the role, it's not like he has to pump iron for months and bulk up massively to play Tony Stark. It's pretty much a regular dramatic role with a little bit of jumping around in a MOCAP suit and a helmet.
This is about as strenuous as it gets:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1H0F1qZATS0&t=15s

They had a guy in a half Iron Man suit running around for the battle scenes in Civil War but it's probably a stunt dude. It was pretty adorkable:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wvG1OZPiAeA&t=22s
"WHEEEEE WE'RE FIGHTING!!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
God that Spider-Man suit pisses me off

The practical suit they have there looks so goddamn good, with the solid black and raised up webbing across the vibrant red and blue and no goddamn panel lines on the blue suit- it looks nice and textured and great.

Like yeah a few things need to be touched up in post but over all it's pretty fantastic and might be my second favorite movie Spider-man suit

And then you see the movie and they smothered it with so much CGI that it just looks awful. The webbing is near nonexistent, the colors are way off, the lame as gently caress black panel lines are thrown in on the blue suit making the whole thing look so much cheaper, and all the texture is just gone.

Seeing the practical suit really makes me realize how much I do not like the version we see in Civil War and I presume Homecoming.

• Locked thread