Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Truga posted:

Wait, did swtor get level syncs?

In open world/questing content, yeah. Not in dungeons IIRC.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
WoW never put in any system of level syncing did they? I haven't played since 2011 and there was nothing like that when I left.

What does Lord of the Rings Online do?

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Mordiceius posted:

WoW never put in any system of level syncing did they? I haven't played since 2011 and there was nothing like that when I left.

There's a version of it in Legion where the world level syncs rather than your player. You can play through the four leveling zones of Legion in any order you wish, the zone and loot scales to your level.

Syncing upwards is a thing in Legion's dungeons so everyone's effectively playing at the same level.

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010

Mordiceius posted:

What does Lord of the Rings Online do?

Timewalking syncs you down to lv70/80/85 depending on the expansion the dungeons are for. You lose none of your abilities and it works fine. You're a bit over powered then how the content was done at that level way back when but it works. :shrug:

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Toshimo posted:

Try this and report back.

Not a toddler, but I've tried it with an active cat in and out of my lap and I can assure you it is not easy :(

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Ciaphas posted:

Not a toddler, but I've tried it with an active cat in and out of my lap and I can assure you it is not easy :(

How do people have difficulty using a controller with a cat on their lap? Genuinely curious since I've never had trouble with it. The only thing using a controller makes annoying is ground target effects and using my keyboard to chat mid-fight.

I think it would be fun to bring all my samurai AOE into Sastasha and buzzsaw the place down in five minutes while synched but I can completely understand why that isn't a thing. I just accept that I'm stuck with Stab 1 and Stab 2 as my only skills for 15-20 minutes and get on with life.

Reiterpallasch
Nov 3, 2010

Fun Shoe
at least with my roommate's cat, he sometimes likes to bat at the keyboard, or paw away at the screen when there's bright lights going on there

once he jumped onto my computer tower and pressed the power button in the middle of raid

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Housecat (Savage).

I guess mine mostly just bats at my leg when she wants to be picked up or sometimes rests her paw on the spacebar. v:shobon:v

Haquer
Nov 15, 2009

That windswept look...

Mordiceius posted:

Ah. Rip then.

I know that the thread likes to bash on the idea of pubbie players that are half brain dead and are hostile to any advice, but I've honestly rarely if ever met any like that.

Most just don't know any better and are very receptive to advice. A handful are just not very good and though they'll take your advice, it just won't help.

Majority of the hostile players I've met have been ones that are actually already at level cap, so they feel they already are perfect at their class and are immune to advice.

My favorite person was a PLD that waited almost a minute for protect to be cast, and then didn't turn on his tank stance and died to the first pull.

When I laughed at him he said "fine you tank it" and left, and I went on to tank as a Samurai for a few minutes until we got a new PLD :v:

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Thundarr posted:

Housecat (Savage).

I guess mine mostly just bats at my leg when she wants to be picked up or sometimes rests her paw on the spacebar. v:shobon:v

Mine likes to jump on the keyboard, on top of my hands. >_> Caused more than a few wipes in various MMOs over the years.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Toshimo posted:

Yes. Level Sync should just be revamped at this point to scale down stats but leave abilities intact.

This would make new players feel like even more dead weight than they already do when they get paired up with high/max level players in low level dungeons. I'm pretty sure newbies would have a hard time keeping threat, or simply not be able to keep it at all, even in places like SV when they have a level 70 SAM or RDM blowing poo poo up with level 70 abilities.

It'd completely ruin what little balance exists in low level content, and while that content doesn't mean much to established players, devs still need to take the actual newbies in to consideration because if they're bored to tears or made to feel worthless that doesn't help retention rates.

Erg
Oct 31, 2010

ImpAtom posted:

To be honest I've basically met a genuinely terrible person in dungeons basically never. I mean in terms of bad mechanics I have but usually they either are receptive to advice or have a reason why they're doing poorly. (i.e: a newbie tank who is genuinely not comfortable with big pulls or a healer who doesn't feel they can keep up with it.) The salt only seems to exist in meaningful quantities in extreme/savage content.

literally, LITERALLY, only casted physick, rez, and protect throughout the 30 minute brayflox

i assume i was getting pranked but they never broke character so idk

Velthice
Dec 12, 2010

Lipstick Apathy
I just tried to solo nael. it didn't work, I actually think it's impossible because of a specific mechanic. but I got to the final phase before the crushing heartbreak. someone probably tried and found this out before me, but it was a neat way to kill an hour

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Velthice posted:

I just tried to solo nael. it didn't work, I actually think it's impossible because of a specific mechanic. but I got to the final phase before the crushing heartbreak. someone probably tried and found this out before me, but it was a neat way to kill an hour

How did you get past golems?

Axle_Stukov
Feb 26, 2011

Stylin'
Huh i thought Golem phase would make Nael impossible until some crazy gear level.

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Voted #1 Babysitter in Mushroom Kingdom

Evil Fluffy posted:

This would make new players feel like even more dead weight than they already do when they get paired up with high/max level players in low level dungeons. I'm pretty sure newbies would have a hard time keeping threat, or simply not be able to keep it at all, even in places like SV when they have a level 70 SAM or RDM blowing poo poo up with level 70 abilities.

It'd completely ruin what little balance exists in low level content, and while that content doesn't mean much to established players, devs still need to take the actual newbies in to consideration because if they're bored to tears or made to feel worthless that doesn't help retention rates.

Hell this is already a problem now with Red Mage because tanks with no tank stance have a hell of a time competing with 480 potency in a split second from Jolt > Verthunder/Veraero.

Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

Tried Nael the other day with three and the ice just eventually catches up in the last phase, though you might be able to burst the last few percent if you're quick enough. 4 seems to be the sweet spot for now.

Velthice
Dec 12, 2010

Lipstick Apathy

cheetah7071 posted:

How did you get past golems?

if golems fuse it's still instant death. if too many meteors explode, it's instant death, but I learned that if you stay dead in the middle of the golems, they're not close enough to fuse. this isn't a problem for the first golem phase because there are only 3 meteors, but it's a much bigger problem in the second golem phase when there's like 7. but you can force clear the comets by dropping the golem meteors on the placed comets, then carefully kill golems, then take the last one around to eat while having one left over, at least that's how many I had left.

heavensfall is easy mode as long as you clear twist which you have plenty of time to do. I saw the second heavensfall but pushed the boss into the final phase before the second add spawned.but the heartbreak is the final phase, because getting hit with two ice is an instant game over, and there's no way to get around it or kill nael before it happens

TheRagamuffin
Aug 31, 2008

In Paradox Space, when you cross the line, your nuts are mine.

Velthice posted:

So you think a duo or trio strat is possible, then?

e:

Brainamp posted:

Tried Nael the other day with three and the ice just eventually catches up in the last phase, though you might be able to burst the last few percent if you're quick enough. 4 seems to be the sweet spot for now.

Awww, this is about where my group was before 4.0...

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Main quest complete! Still salty about those three hour-long queues but at least that's out of the way. I started this char back before the expansions even came out though, so I don't remember much of the story before the last part. Are there any good videos/articles re-telling or summarizing the story? :shobon:

Velthice
Dec 12, 2010

Lipstick Apathy
As brainamp said, the big roadblock is ice murdering you. it happens really fast so even if you duo'd healers I'm not sure you could raise each other fast enough, let alone be able to burn nael down who still has a considerable amount of health left at that point.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Velthice posted:

if golems fuse it's still instant death. if too many meteors explode, it's instant death, but I learned that if you stay dead in the middle of the golems, they're not close enough to fuse. this isn't a problem for the first golem phase because there are only 3 meteors, but it's a much bigger problem in the second golem phase when there's like 7. but you can force clear the comets by dropping the golem meteors on the placed comets, then carefully kill golems, then take the last one around to eat while having one left over, at least that's how many I had left.

heavensfall is easy mode as long as you clear twist which you have plenty of time to do. I saw the second heavensfall but pushed the boss into the final phase before the second add spawned.but the heartbreak is the final phase, because getting hit with two ice is an instant game over, and there's no way to get around it or kill nael before it happens

Can you hallowed ground to dodge getting an ice stack? Or shield it with a big adlo?

Those strats might not be good enough right now but in another expansion is might be possible to do something like hallowed ground the first three ices, get hit by the fourth, then fire hits, then ice hits and you kill before the sixth ice comes

Ouhei
Oct 23, 2008

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

Thundarr posted:

How do people have difficulty using a controller with a cat on their lap? Genuinely curious since I've never had trouble with it. The only thing using a controller makes annoying is ground target effects and using my keyboard to chat mid-fight.
I've gotten pretty used to ground targeting with a controller, but yeah chatting mid battle kinda sucks. One of the reasons I switched to PC was so that it was a matter of dropping the controller onto the desk in front of me, rather than on a couch where I then had to grab the keyboard since I played on a couch when I was on PS4.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Velthice posted:

As brainamp said, the big roadblock is ice murdering you. it happens really fast so even if you duo'd healers I'm not sure you could raise each other fast enough, let alone be able to burn nael down who still has a considerable amount of health left at that point.

I recall four people being the sweet spot where you can just stack permanently and ignore the entire mechanic (at the cost of being hit by every thunder but you're unsynced so who cares). Below that people start getting two ices between every fire.

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

Truga posted:

:allears:

Or you can just nerf his damage by another 1% per levels synced down. Damage will stay about the same, but you get to keep your rotation. Magic, I know!

Yeah and then the idiot ice mages will be even more ineffective in leveling content.

I agree that the classes should have their rotations come online earlier. Like, it's fun and everything getting Fire 4 at 60 and suddenly the entire job changes but it means I'm basically completely unwilling to do any content where I might sync below 60 outside of synced savage/EX stuff just because it's so loving boring. If I could rearrange all of BLM's skills I'd probably say you get all of your GCDs (and Enochian) by 40 or so and then 50-70 is stuff like Ley Lines, Triplecast, and Foul.

vOv fucked around with this message at 23:16 on Jul 21, 2017

Velthice
Dec 12, 2010

Lipstick Apathy

cheetah7071 posted:

Can you hallowed ground to dodge getting an ice stack? Or shield it with a big adlo?

Those strats might not be good enough right now but in another expansion is might be possible to do something like hallowed ground the first three ices, get hit by the fourth, then fire hits, then ice hits and you kill before the sixth ice comes

quote:

Iceclaw uses Iceball.
 You take 86830 damage.
You are defeated by Iceclaw.

looking at that, it might be possible to do with strong mitigation. I had sentinel on cooldown but it might be enough to survive. hallowed ground I also used earlier panicking when meteros were exploding and I I had 3 golems hitting me while I had to quickly focus down the blue one before he ruined everything with his suck in. I might revisit it later.

if anybody is curious, I already tried t13. the damage is still pretty real. I got to the second phase, and I'm pretty sure I can get past it. I do not know how I would deal with the add phase though and even less an idea if i could survive akh morn, but it's my little side project for right now.

Velthice
Dec 12, 2010

Lipstick Apathy
actually looking at the numbers, sentinel just still wouldn't be enough or I'd be so low that a single auto would probably kill me. I'd either have to roll sentinel and rampart together or pray for a block, and then maaaaybe I can live through a single ice phase

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Even assuming some pretty crazy mitigation and perfect hallowed ground timing (which I'm not 100% works because I don't know the exact number of seconds between ice) you'd still probably have to kill before the sixth or seventh ice, which I assume is well out of reach of paladin right now

Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

cheetah7071 posted:

Even assuming some pretty crazy mitigation and perfect hallowed ground timing (which I'm not 100% works because I don't know the exact number of seconds between ice) you'd still probably have to kill before the sixth or seventh ice, which I assume is well out of reach of paladin right now

Ice comes out too quick to out-rez it really. We tried once twice with NIN, RDM, and BRD, but there's just a bit too much health to burn down, and the time I tried tanking as DRK I couldn't survive the ice even with all my cooldowns.

TheRagamuffin
Aug 31, 2008

In Paradox Space, when you cross the line, your nuts are mine.
Last I tried, out makeup was WAR/SCH/SMN, and even with 2x rezzes, we we're dying to ice in the end. So I suppose we'll just have to turn to PF to get through that coil.

Obligatum VII
May 5, 2014

Haunting you until no 8 arrives.

itskage posted:

Blm is far more satisfying. Rdm's rotation is shallow and there's no detrimental effects for doing mechanics. When you do blm right so that all your phases and abilities stay up through mechanics and transitions, it takes far more effort but feels awesome. It's just that doing all that work for less damage is also a lovely feeling. So the situation is gray, especially when red mage is still fun, just doesn't have that same feeling of accomplishment.

I agree that BLM is way more satisfying to play than RDM, but that feeling gets torpedoed by being outperformed even when you do play well.

I suggest you choose the third option and do not flee into the arms of caster satan and go play MNK or something, which is apparently doing rather well.

Obligatum VII
May 5, 2014

Haunting you until no 8 arrives.

Reiterpallasch posted:

for the record, their response to advice was pretty hostile and something along the lines of "you try playing with a controller with a toddler on your lap," but honest to god, we tried

e: i've actually had really good response to advice from literal sprouts in the <20 dungeons, idk

Should have asked them to hand the controller to the toddler, on account of almost certainly being a better player.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

It still seems weird to me that Fire 2 doesn't have a place for BLM at 70 except in absurdly massive pulls. Not that I mind just sticking to Flare, I suppose.

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world

Ciaphas posted:

It still seems weird to me that Fire 2 doesn't have a place for BLM at 70 except in absurdly massive pulls. Not that I mind just sticking to Flare, I suppose.

Black mages need to get some kind of substantial reward per time they spend any number of umbral hearts, so that it's better to go F2 F2 Flare Flare than to go Flare Flare. And, also, so that it's better to cast B4 on single targets at any point whatsoever besides your opener.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Ferrinus posted:

Black mages need to get some kind of substantial reward per time they spend any number of umbral hearts, so that it's better to go F2 F2 Flare Flare than to go Flare Flare. And, also, so that it's better to cast B4 on single targets at any point whatsoever besides your opener.

Auto crit? :getin:

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

What is the BLM aoe rotation right now?

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Mr. Nice! posted:

What is the BLM aoe rotation right now?

From the balance discord: B3, T4, B4, F3, F2, F2, Swiftcast, Flare, Triplecast Flare, Manapot, Flare, Convert, Flare.

Then of transpose, tic, B4, T4 and then foul whenever it comes up.

Should probably weave lucid dreaming and diversion in there somewhere unless you want to die in exdr.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

hobbesmaster posted:

From the balance discord: B3, T4, B4, F3, F2, F2, Swiftcast, Flare, Triplecast Flare, Manapot, Flare, Convert, Flare.

Should probably weave lucid dreaming and diversion in there somewhere unless you want to die in exdr.

TYVM

Velthice
Dec 12, 2010

Lipstick Apathy
Meanwhile in stupid paladin tricks:

T7 - I did this in one pull, this is easy, anyone can probably do this

T12 - This on the other hand, took several attempts and the clear was pretty dicey. the bennue beatdown phase is probably the hardest part, and revelation+redfire+freshly spawned bennue+brand of purgatory is bad times. getting 4 bennues is likely critical (I died to attrition with 5 and pheonix was at 16 stacks), and it was "real close" when I transitioned on the winning attempt. Last phase isn't fun either, and I was sure I was dead several times.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

hobbesmaster posted:

So F2 IS part of the rotation now? drat it.