Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Veritek83
Jul 7, 2008

The Irish can't drink. What you always have to remember with the Irish is they get mean. Virtually every Irish I've known gets mean when he drinks.

chocoTaco posted:

hey guys! it's chocoTaco. I'm new to the forums...thought you guys might enjoy my first PUBG video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=25DdVZeT6q8

Oh hell yes dog

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lohli
Jun 30, 2008

VulgarandStupid posted:

The good news is, since his computer crashed he can't collect video evidence of you TKing him. I think you'll be OK.

I put use of melee while in a vehicle to the test because I wanted to live the dream of committing a frying pan drive-by, aimed out of the window, and learned that you just swing at whatever is directly in front of you when I heard the beautiful double gong sound of the guys in the front seats being KO'd.

I think Jazz said he got it on video, hopefully PlayerUknown doesn't see it :ohdear:

Vonnie
Sep 13, 2011

Vonnie posted:

After 4 hours of gameplay I have managed to reach the top three for the first time, I know it's not much of an accomplishment but I never play shooters and I got 4 kills in that round compared to my usual 0, so I'm happy :unsmith:

Played some more and watched some videos (Like ChocoTaco's) and while I haven't hit the top 3 again I've started to get at least one kill per game. I've also sorta figured out zeroing so my longest kill has gone up to 165m. I'm still too unsure of myself to try landing in the major areas, but I'm working my way up.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>
Landing the major areas is the fastest way to get more proficient at basically every important skill in the game. You get practice looting fast under pressure, listening to where enemies are and shooting with every gun in the game.

Herstory Begins Now fucked around with this message at 14:37 on Jul 22, 2017

Intoluene
Jul 6, 2011

Activating self-destruct sequence!
Fun Shoe

Herstory Begins Now posted:

Landing the major areas is the fastest way to get more proficient at basically every important skill in the game..

Yeah, I've started doing this myself just to learn how to actually shoot folks and not jump in my chair when I hear the whizzing of a bullet past my face.

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Communism will help more white people than anyone else. Any equal measures unfairly provide less to minority populations just because there's less of them. Democracy is truly the tyranny of the mob.

I've managed to combine the two. I know I'm getting better when I manage to 720 fast enough to fight the guy and get some shots off before I eat it

jsoh
Mar 24, 2007

O Muhammad, I seek your intercession with my Lord for the return of my eyesight
can someone please explain zeroing to me. i understand how to estimate distances based on the squares on the map and visible landmarks but i dont know what zeroing actually does

slap me and kiss me
Apr 1, 2008

You best protect ya neck
Without changing zeroing, a bullet you shoot will intersect with your gunsight at 100m. If you increase zeroing to 200m, that will be the new distance where the bullet intersects where you're aiming.

Changing zeroing lets you engage at long distances without having to shoot above the dude's head.

jsoh
Mar 24, 2007

O Muhammad, I seek your intercession with my Lord for the return of my eyesight
on like the 4x scope with the arrows and poo poo is the tip of the arrow that 100m then? and each mark after it 100m more?

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Communism will help more white people than anyone else. Any equal measures unfairly provide less to minority populations just because there's less of them. Democracy is truly the tyranny of the mob.

It seems like most guns don't have noticable drop off for hundreds of meters even at 100m zeroing

Vonnie
Sep 13, 2011

Herstory Begins Now posted:

Landing the major areas is the fastest way to get more proficient at basically every important skill in the game. You get practice looting fast under pressure, listening to where enemies are and shooting with every gun in the game.

Good point, I played a few more rounds where I landed in the most populous spot I could, did alright punching out pistol wielders, and pistoling shotgunners (I then immediately died to the other 3+ people with smgs and rifles). Had a slightly longer round where I landed next to a Kar98k, only a red dot scope but I did outsnipe another guy at about 200-250m.

Helter Skelter
Feb 10, 2004

BEARD OF HAVOC

violent sex idiot posted:

on like the 4x scope with the arrows and poo poo is the tip of the arrow that 100m then? and each mark after it 100m more?
Here's how the scope it's modeled on works IRL:

I would not take that as accurate within the game, however. Projectile velocities vary from gun to gun while the scope reticle does not, which means the ranging marks on the scope are more often than not going to be somewhere between somewhat and hilariously inaccurate depending on what gun you're using. You're better off changing the zero distance as appropriate rather than trying to figure out where you have to hold over for a given range on a given gun.

Lladre
Jun 28, 2011

Soiled Meat

Digital Jedi posted:

Squad game with the goons ended in the best way I think.

12 people left, only 1 left for our squad. He crawls to the 2nd to last circle and just stayed there. 3 squads start killing each other across the circle with no knowledge the goon is left. Final circle comes and 4 are left. He crawls to up and manages to shutgun 2 down without them noticing. The final guy starts to shot but is hitting one of the dead bodies. He loots a crate, gets ammo, and takes a few shots and it's chicken dinner time.

Yeah, too bad I didn't have the shadowplay thingie turned on.

buckets of buckets
Apr 8, 2012

CHECK OUT MY AWESOME POSTS
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3681373&pagenumber=114&perpage=40#post447051278

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3681373&pagenumber=91&perpage=40#post444280066

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3818944&pagenumber=196&perpage=40#post472627338

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3788178&pagenumber=405&perpage=40#post474195694

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3831643&pagenumber=5&perpage=40#post475694634

Helter Skelter posted:

I would not take that as accurate within the game, however. Projectile velocities vary from gun to gun while the scope reticle does not, which means the ranging marks on the scope are more often than not going to be somewhere between somewhat and hilariously inaccurate depending on what gun you're using. You're better off changing the zero distance as appropriate rather than trying to figure out where you have to hold over for a given range on a given gun.

Surely its accurate for 5,56 weapons in the game if nothing else? It'd be nice if it works for everything though

Lladre
Jun 28, 2011

Soiled Meat

chocoTaco posted:

hey guys! it's chocoTaco. I'm new to the forums...thought you guys might enjoy my first PUBG video

When the game hands you a ghillie suit, it wants you to be the bush.

underage at the vape shop
May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747

buckets of buckets posted:

Surely its accurate for 5,56 weapons in the game if nothing else? It'd be nice if it works for everything though

Nah they fly flat and slow

BUTTERWORBS
Oct 16, 2002

chocoTaco posted:

we can see your name dude

Condoleezza Nice!
Jan 4, 2010

Lite som Robin Hood
fast inte

Helter Skelter posted:

Works like this on an M16 if you zero it to 300m. Ish.

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

The Once And Future King Of Dicetroit

College Slice
Zeroing basically makes up the difference between where you are and where the target is. In the game the difference between 100 and 200 meters is basically nil, though. But if you slap it to 600m zeroing and fire at someone 600m away, the bullets should land as if you were 100m away from them. Think of how it works like firing an artillery shell, how you always see a Howitzer at an angle upwards to hit far out, the more your zero is the more you're doing the same thing. You arc the bullet up to reach further, like so.

IRL, most guns are designed to fire like this following image, where the sights are not aligned to the barrel but are on an angle and the bullet will intersect at two different ranges, which means you're always firing with some small version of that Howitzer angle I mention above. You zero for one range and it also zeros for a second range further out, with the bullet being below the point of aim before the first range and after the second, and in the middle the bullet is flying over exact point of aim.

With the ballistic model as it is, you generally shouldn't need to aim below your target to hit them, but it's good to keep in mind that bullets don't actual travel flat in a realistic model so if they change the physics later on you may need to aim slightly below exactly where you want the bullet to land. As things are right now though you're basically good probably out to 300 meters with a 100 meter zeroing on everything bigger than a UMP or VSS. UMP's rounds drop noticeably out to like 150-200m and VSS of course has range chevrons for 100, 200, and 300m and it needs them with the severe drop it gets.

It's also worth noting that the VSS sight, the 4x, and the 8x all have range-finding marks (I've never had a 15x so IDK if it does or not), although I think the scale in the game is wrong so it may not work as it should. With the 4x and 8x the idea is the length of the lines = shoulder length on a standing man-sized target within a certain range which is why they degrade as you go down the sight, and with the VSS that swoopy line is marked from 100 to 400 meters and you'd line up a person's feet on the bottom line and their head with the top line.

Shima Honnou fucked around with this message at 16:59 on Jul 22, 2017

DarkDobe
Jul 11, 2008

Things are looking up...

For the PSO sight (VSS)

Chevron range

How to use it to measure distance (Not sure if PUBG renders this accurately like ARMA did)

DarkDobe fucked around with this message at 17:08 on Jul 22, 2017

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
But the VSS can't actually hit that far can it? "effective range" is a thing in game on the guns and correlating that to scopes is breaking my brain.

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

IF IM NOT BITCHING ABOUT HOW SHITTY MY LIFE IS, REPORT ME FOR MY ACCOUNT HAS BEEN HIJACKED

BUTTERWORBS posted:

-chocotaco

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

DarkDobe posted:

For the PSO sight (VSS)

Chevron range

How to use it to measure distance (Not sure if PUBG renders this accurately like ARMA did)

That's really cool.

cosmicjim
Mar 23, 2010
VISIT THE STICKIED GOON HOLIDAY CHARITY DRIVE THREAD IN GBS.

Goons are changing the way children get an education in Haiti.

Edit - Oops, no they aren't. They donated to doobie instead.
Would we have known it's the real chocotaco? Wait, how do we know now?
::psyduck::

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

BUTTERWORBS posted:

Hold on, are you telling me that posters Lindsey O. Graham and Vladimir Putin are actually those people? Mind loving blown!

Helter Skelter
Feb 10, 2004

BEARD OF HAVOC

cosmicjim posted:

Would we have known it's the real chocotaco? Wait, how do we know now?
::psyduck::
You could, like, ask him the next time he streams.

cosmicjim
Mar 23, 2010

Helter Skelter posted:

You could, like, ask him the next time he streams.

Hell yeah, can't fool goons.

Serious talk....

Ok, we've explained zeroing, and explained the VSS....

But how is this affected by different scopes? Do the scopes change their properties based on the gun?

To break this down.
I've heard 7.62 has more bullet drop and is slower than 5.56. Is this true?
If this is true, if a target is 300 meters away, and you use a 4x scope, is the height adjustment the same for a scar and akm? Is the difference in bullet drop insignificant in the scope, or does the scope magically treat the guns differently?

What's the difference in aiming with different levels of magnification? I struggle more with higher magnification. Are they all zeroed to 100m or are they zeroed differently? If I put an 8x on a scar, where does the bullet intersect my top chevron? How radically does it affect my shots at different ranges? Do I have to aim below my target at closer ranges?

Has anyone detailed the different scopes with different bullet sizes and velocities with different ranges? I feel like i'M getting all this in bits and pieces, but nothing that goes over it completely.

Helter Skelter
Feb 10, 2004

BEARD OF HAVOC

cosmicjim posted:

To break this down.
If this is true, if a target is 300 meters away, and you use a 4x scope, is the height adjustment the same for a scar and akm? Is the difference in bullet drop insignificant in the scope, or does the scope magically treat the guns differently?

What's the difference in aiming with different levels of magnification? I struggle more with higher magnification. Are they all zeroed to 100m or are they zeroed differently? If I put an 8x on a scar, where does the bullet intersect my top chevron? How radically does it affect my shots at different ranges? Do I have to aim below my target at closer ranges?

Has anyone detailed the different scopes with different bullet sizes and velocities with different ranges? I feel like i'M getting all this in bits and pieces, but nothing that goes over it completely.
First, projectile velocities and bullet drop. Here are the assault rifles. The stat right under damage is the projectile velocity measured in meters per second. Gravity affects everything equally, slower projectiles just have a more pronounced arc to their path which is why it looks like they drop more quickly.

Second, you're overthinking things. In real life, you would have to zero your optic manually which takes time and a measure of skill (and you'd also have to re-zero it each time you put it on a different gun, or took it off and put it back on the same gun even), but this is a video game and that poo poo is thankfully abstracted for us. If the game is telling you you're zeroed to 100m/200m/whatever, it is not lying to you. Put crosshair on bad man and pull trigger to make bad man go away.

Duckaerobics
Jul 22, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

cosmicjim posted:

Hell yeah, can't fool goons.

Serious talk....

Ok, we've explained zeroing, and explained the VSS....

But how is this affected by different scopes? Do the scopes change their properties based on the gun?

To break this down.

It's seems like most of the art assets come from stock unreal art, so it's probably safe to assume the scopes don't change between guns and are not accurate to their IRL counterparts.

The good news is the rifles shoot fairly straight out to about 200 meters so you don't really need to mess with zeroing until you take longer shots. Grimmz loves to change his zero and resets it for almost every shot. He's also really good and takes lots of long range shots. I never change the zero, but I also avoid taking shots at people more than 200-300 meters away.

There also aren't that many guns and scopes in the game. You can easily get a feel for the guns you'll be taking long distance shots with. It doesn't matter what the bullet drop of an ump is at 400 meters, you shouldn't be taking those shots.

RizieN
May 15, 2004

and it was still hot.

Hockles posted:

Mine was also set to 1280x720, so I'll report back to what is like the next time I play

Holy cow they have a colorblind mode! I just don't know value to set this variable to...

bEnableMouseSmoothing=false
SelectMiniMapIndex=1
ColorBlindType=0

Make sure your mouse smooth is off too... since we're on the topic.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
The game has a an effective range stat for each gun, I assume that has some relationship to bullet-hits-ground distance assuming a level shot and plane.

Do the physics of the game allow you to headshot yourself with a gun fired straight into the air?

cosmicjim
Mar 23, 2010

The two responses to the scope question.
One says they change between guns. One says they don't.

Duckaerobics
Jul 22, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

Nevvy Z posted:

The game has a an effective range stat for each gun, I assume that has some relationship to bullet-hits-ground distance assuming a level shot and plane.

Do the physics of the game allow you to headshot yourself with a gun fired straight into the air?

The pubg OCD guy confirmed there is damage drop off over distance, so I assume the effective range is associated with that and not bullet drop.

cosmicjim posted:

The two responses to the scope question.
One says they change between guns. One says they don't.

I think we are saying the same thing. The aim point is always going to be whatever your zero is set to for every gun with any scope. I wouldn't trust the bottom of the chevron on the 4x to be the same for for every gun though (for example).

The Mash
Feb 17, 2007

You have to say I can open my presents

Nevvy Z posted:

Effective range is damage as Duck said, the thing you're talking about is zeroing.

Meme Emulator
Oct 4, 2000

PUBG Ref in an Anime OP

https://zippy.gfycat.com/HardFondHerring.webm

Full:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lBYkMFGkZNc

mechaet
Jan 4, 2013

Insufferable measure of firewood
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qKWfQ7j2_gk

LOL

Sokani
Jul 20, 2006

Bison
I agree, that's one funny sun shade.

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

IF IM NOT BITCHING ABOUT HOW SHITTY MY LIFE IS, REPORT ME FOR MY ACCOUNT HAS BEEN HIJACKED

Lol?

Lladre
Jun 28, 2011

Soiled Meat
I'm glad I'm not the only one who doesn't get it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mechaet
Jan 4, 2013

Insufferable measure of firewood

Derp, app ate the rest of that post. It looks like the approaching wall out of the corners of your eyes.

"Crap, gotta move!"

• Locked thread