Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

The Bee posted:

Which of the three bolt rifles do you guys think is best? I kinda feel like the regular one is still superior, but being able to squeeze off two shots on the advance can make auto bolt rifles quite useful as well. I'm a little torn on Stalkers, since they seem to lack the volume of fire that infantry need with only a slight uptick in range and AP.

I think the extra flexibility of the bolt rifle is great. I don't think the auto bolt rifle is all that amazing since the regular bolt rifle gets two shots for everything but the last nine inches, and the stalker is cool but heavy 1 doesn't seem to be worth the extra range and AP. I mean it's helpful against anything T7 and below, but I would rather use plasma for that application.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LordAba
Oct 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Master Twig posted:

I've been trying to come up with a Tyranid list that can specifically kill storm raven spam. Haven't come up with anything good yet. Most raven spam lists have 7 deployments, so I'm pretty much guaranteed to go second.

The two best things for killing Storm Ravens are Exocrines and Winged Hive Tyrants. A single Storm Raven has very good odds of killing a Hive Tyrant in one round of shooting, especially with Robby G backing it up. Every game I've played against Ravens with a Hive Tyrant, they have not survived long enough for them to get a turn. Exocrines have a good chance to survive a storm raven firing at it, but will more than likely be reduced to hitting on 6s.

Of the other units that can actually assault a storm raven, being Gargoyles, Shrikes, Crones and Harpies, none of them have even remotely the attack power to put any kind of damage on a storm raven. MAYBE shrikes with rending claws and toxin sacs.

I'm just not coming up with anything. I've asked other people for suggestions, and everyone just keeps coming back with running Imperial Guard alongside them to take scions and hyrdas. Well then I'm not using nids to beat it, am i? :mad:

Drop zoanthropes will average 4 wounds. Bonus they can fly and assault, though the damage they do versus the potential damage from overwatch doesn't seem worth it.
Drop Hive Guard with Shockcannons will do some damage, needing 4+ to hit and 4+ to mortal wound (plus possibly do an additional D3 wounds). Plus you can take them in a unit of 6 now?
Tyrannofex still get the -1, but can at least attack twice with the flamer or rupture pods.
Hive Guard still protect flying tyrants, and at least have a 7" base move.

It's just... a list built to counter 3+ Storm Ravens isn't going to fair very well against some normal lists.

Bonus: don't bother. Just take 200+ gants with hidden broodlords and venomthropes. gently caress 'em.

LordAba fucked around with this message at 19:04 on Jul 22, 2017

goose willis
Jun 14, 2015

Get ready for teh wacky laughz0r!

Liquid Communism posted:

Puppetswar does desert troopers, haven't seen them in person so no idea how good the sculpts really are.

They look cool but 35 dollars for like 50 points of models is pretty excessive

After looking endlessly, the best deal that I've ever found for a load of cheap semi-passable infantry is this one:

http://shop.princeaugust.ie/tg2420-warzone-mutant-chronicles-tabletop-wargame/

Can't beat 80 models for that price, and they fit in pretty well as cultists or renegades, but they don't really have a lot of weapon options and I kind of want something in a desert theme

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

The Bee posted:

Oh, one more question. Can you mix and match chapter tactics and strategems if using a successor chapter, or do you have to pick the same for both?
:confused:
No. You can only use, say, the Ultramarines-specific stratagem if you have the Ultramarines chapter tactics. You can't mix and match that stuff.

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

Making his way to the ring . . .
from Deep in the Jungle . . .

The Big Monkey!

Safety Factor posted:

:confused:
No. You can only use, say, the Ultramarines-specific stratagem if you have the Ultramarines chapter tactics. You can't mix and match that stuff.

About what I figured. I wasn't sure if the whole thing was picked at once, or if it was piece by piece to individualize custom chapters, though, so I wanted to check.

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro
And we still haven't seen the language that will clarify whether named successor chapters in FW books (like raptors or minotaurs) can use codex tactics while still using their own named characters.

richyp
Dec 2, 2004

Grumpy old man
Hi thread, I've been looking at all this new Space Marine stuff and every time I see the word "Reivers" my ageing brain struggles to parse it. How's everyone else reading it? Ree-vers, Rye-vers or something else?

GuardianOfAsgaard
Feb 1, 2012

Their steel shines red
With enemy blood
It sings of victory
Granted by the Gods

richyp posted:

Hi thread, I've been looking at all this new Space Marine stuff and every time I see the word "Reivers" my ageing brain struggles to parse it. How's everyone else reading it? Ree-vers, Rye-vers or something else?

It's pronounced just the same as Reavers, ree-vers.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

goose willis posted:

They look cool but 35 dollars for like 50 points of models is pretty excessive

After looking endlessly, the best deal that I've ever found for a load of cheap semi-passable infantry is this one:

http://shop.princeaugust.ie/tg2420-warzone-mutant-chronicles-tabletop-wargame/

Can't beat 80 models for that price, and they fit in pretty well as cultists or renegades, but they don't really have a lot of weapon options and I kind of want something in a desert theme

Just buy the heads and stick them on desert-painted Caidians?

DeceasedHorse
Nov 11, 2005
Anyone playing dark eldar? I haven't played 40k in 4 editions...

Right now I have a box of warriors, a talos box, and the bomber-are there any trap models or upgrades I need to watch out for?

Should I be going for MSU with troops, or is going to ten worth it for the heavy weapon?

goose willis
Jun 14, 2015

Liquid Communism posted:

Just buy the heads and stick them on desert-painted Caidians?

Yeah but then how are you gonna get a fuckload of Cadians for cheap

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

goose willis posted:

Yeah but then how are you gonna get a fuckload of Cadians for cheap
https://www.ebay.com/

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

richyp posted:

It's stolen from here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Border_Reivers

And pronounced "Reavers."

Artum
Feb 13, 2012

DUN da dun dun da DUUUN
Soiled Meat
Rather disappointed in the primaris characters complete lack of options. I got a second chaplain and ancient to kitbash a primaris chaplain but you can only have them with that absolver bolt pistol thing.

I can't even make myself a primaris chaplain and use the old rules because the repulsor cant carry non-primaris.

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro

Artum posted:

Rather disappointed in the primaris characters complete lack of options. I got a second chaplain and ancient to kitbash a primaris chaplain but you can only have them with that absolver bolt pistol thing.

Have we seen stats for the other primaris characters?

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

The Big Monkey!

Artum posted:

Where are you seeing the warscrolls for them? That's really disappointing if true, especially since each actual Primaris unit at least has 2-3 weapon options now.

Artum
Feb 13, 2012

DUN da dun dun da DUUUN
Soiled Meat

JoshTheStampede posted:

Have we seen stats for the other primaris characters?

Yeah, chaplain is +1w/a over the regular and has a s5 ap1 d1 bolt pistol, no options.

Apothecary has the same pistol and that new reductor is a 3" range pistol with like s6 ap2 d3, +1w but same attacks and again no options.

Captain and librarian are as they are in the box rules.

The Bee posted:

Where are you seeing the warscrolls for them? That's really disappointing if true, especially since each actual Primaris unit at least has 2-3 weapon options now.

It was an hour long video of a guy going through almost page by page and talking about it, wracking my brain to thing where the link was but I'm currently awake on ~1 hour sleep.

and since some people have been curious guilliman is still the same cost.

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro
Wait so the captain can't take a power fist? They're giving a model away with a plasma pistol and fist.

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

The Big Monkey!
Something tells me they'll keep the Primaris gravy train going for a good, long while. I wouldn't be surprised if we got upgrade sprues that slowly transfer smallmarine model options to their big boy brothers, and if still non-Primaris accessible a proper Primaris drop pod.

100% unsurprised that Gulliman isn't getting nerfed. I knew there was no way the most marine-y marine gets nerfed in Book: Marines.

Zuul the Cat
Dec 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
So AdMech seem to be 4th in line for Codex releases?

WhiteWolf123
Jun 18, 2008

The man in black fled across the desert, and the gunslinger followed.

JoshTheStampede posted:

Wait so the captain can't take a power fist? They're giving a model away with a plasma pistol and fist.

No. Neither the Primaris Captain or the Gravis Armor Captain can take either of those weapons. Looks like the model will either have to come with its own rules, or it'll just be for collecting.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

DeceasedHorse posted:

Anyone playing dark eldar? I haven't played 40k in 4 editions...

Right now I have a box of warriors, a talos box, and the bomber-are there any trap models or upgrades I need to watch out for?

Should I be going for MSU with troops, or is going to ten worth it for the heavy weapon?

I've played against Dark Eldar. From what I've seen and in conversation with my brother (who plays DE), it seems that since your Heavy Weapons don't get the -1 penalty for moving when on your hover vehicles the go-to tactic is to reserve your Heavy Weapons for placement on your Raiders, Ravagers, and Vipers, while your infantry go MSU with Blasters.

I've also seen that Wracks with max Liquifiers just melt away Guard infantry and even do a number on Marine squads in cover.

Of course both those cases require you to either invest in a Raider or two and some Wracks to really be effective, but those are the directions I'd be moving in for the future.

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

The Big Monkey!

"soon you’ll have your own tricks and ploys to play, and unique rules for your Traitor Legion, Astra Militarum Regiment or Forge World of choice."

Sounds like solid confirmation that Xenos are getting screwed release 1, but at least Admech get nice toys early on.

Artum
Feb 13, 2012

DUN da dun dun da DUUUN
Soiled Meat
Found it

JoshTheStampede posted:

The captain cant take a drat thing besides its 2 guns. Gravis captain is entirely unchanged too. That captain will probably have its own datasheet in the box like the terminator captain with the grenade fist from store events last edition.

The Bee posted:

Something tells me they'll keep the Primaris gravy train going for a good, long while. I wouldn't be surprised if we got upgrade sprues that slowly transfer smallmarine model options to their big boy brothers, and if still non-Primaris accessible a proper Primaris drop pod.

100% unsurprised that Gulliman isn't getting nerfed. I knew there was no way the most marine-y marine gets nerfed in Book: Marines.
I'm honestly surprised at how much this marine codex does push you towards a mixed army.

Artum
Feb 13, 2012

DUN da dun dun da DUUUN
Soiled Meat
Oh and in case anyone was wondering: no the Overlord doesn't have an entry. Gonna be just the box rules on that one then.

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

The Big Monkey!

Artum posted:

Oh and in case anyone was wondering: no the Overlord doesn't have an entry. Gonna be just the box rules on that one then.

Yeah, this just furthers my suspicion that we're continuing to get tons of Primaris rules from here on out. Probably just enough to eventually release a new Codex Space Marines 2.0.

I may like how 8th is shaping up way more than past trainwrecks, but GW's still GW.

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

This is very wet. "You can use the new stuff where it's the same, or stick with the Index, and the points for matched play will be online (but aren't yet)." Just say which one overrides the other, drat.

Artum
Feb 13, 2012

DUN da dun dun da DUUUN
Soiled Meat

Corrode posted:

This is very wet. "You can use the new stuff where it's the same, or stick with the Index, and the points for matched play will be online (but aren't yet)." Just say which one overrides the other, drat.

They said pretty definitively in the FAQ on codicies, the newer rules take precedent.

Shockeh
Feb 24, 2009

Now be a dear and
fuck the fuck off.

TwingeCrag posted:

I am sort of dissapointed in the Fists stuff, not because it's BAD but it's just... less good than the other choices in most scenarios. I'm still gonna paint up my dudes as space bees but I think I'm going to go shopping for new chapter tactics :(

I think it's amazing if you abuse it - Yes, you need there to BE cover, but that's fine, if you don't any, you're playing 40k wrong anyway.

The goal is to get them reliant on that cover. Get your own units into it, don't fall back. Be the Imperial loving Fists and get charged. Survive, because lol Marines. Fall back, blitz the poor fuckers who charged now and who don't get cover saves in return. Re-take cover. It's incredibly fluffy, and a totally legitimate tactical move too. I'm pretty much swinging towards Imperial Fists because of the Chapter Tactics.

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

The Big Monkey!

Shockeh posted:

I think it's amazing if you abuse it - Yes, you need there to BE cover, but that's fine, if you don't any, you're playing 40k wrong anyway.

The goal is to get them reliant on that cover. Get your own units into it, don't fall back. Be the Imperial loving Fists and get charged. Survive, because lol Marines. Fall back, blitz the poor fuckers who charged now and who don't get cover saves in return. Re-take cover. It's incredibly fluffy, and a totally legitimate tactical move too. I'm pretty much swinging towards Imperial Fists because of the Chapter Tactics.

Their Tactics are pretty great, and the sniper pistol looks surprisingly useful, but Bolter Drill seems disappointing.

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat

goose willis posted:

One more question: how well would Perry's Desert Rats work for a desert-themed Imperial Guard army? Back in the day I really liked the look of Tallarn Desert Raiders, but that ship has sailed a veeeeeeery long time ago.

https://www.perry-miniatures.com/product_info.php?products_id=2848

I would think it shouldn't be much work to splice the kit with some appropriate 40k weapons for the heavy weapon teams? Rest of them can just be using auto-guns or something

For OOP stuff there's always :ussr:

DeceasedHorse
Nov 11, 2005

jng2058 posted:

I've played against Dark Eldar. From what I've seen and in conversation with my brother (who plays DE), it seems that since your Heavy Weapons don't get the -1 penalty for moving when on your hover vehicles the go-to tactic is to reserve your Heavy Weapons for placement on your Raiders, Ravagers, and Vipers, while your infantry go MSU with Blasters.

I've also seen that Wracks with max Liquifiers just melt away Guard infantry and even do a number on Marine squads in cover.

Of course both those cases require you to either invest in a Raider or two and some Wracks to really be effective, but those are the directions I'd be moving in for the future.

Thanks! Raiders seem pretty much mandatory and I'll look into proxying wracks once I move beyond the MSU infantry core.

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

The Bee posted:

Their Tactics are pretty great, and the sniper pistol looks surprisingly useful, but Bolter Drill seems disappointing.

Yeah Bolter Drill sucks but I think the CTs are decent and the pistol is fun and you can get it into literally any list. The Crimson Fists Fist is tasty too, PFs with no -1 to hit are much better value for the points.

goose willis
Jun 14, 2015

BULBASAUR posted:

Tell me more

BIG MEATY SHITS
Mar 13, 2017

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Soiled Meat
Holy poo poo did you guys know that if you register with GW's website you get FREE WALLPAPERS?

BULBASAUR posted:

Don't talk about :ussr:-ing wallpapers man you might upset Ghost Hand.

BIG MEATY SHITS fucked around with this message at 21:19 on Jul 22, 2017

WhiteWolf123
Jun 18, 2008

edit: Bolter Drill is crap. Only one extra shot per 6 is pretty rough.

I think the Fists relic is garbage. I can't imagine ever using a relic slot or spending a CP to gain access to an upgraded Bolt Pistol when there's so many better options to grab.

And the Fists chapter tactic is just okay. It's bottom-tier compared to the other ones, but knowing you can ignore cover is certainly not insignificant. I like it with Snipers, since sniper rifles have no AP, preventing the target's armor from getting even better is kinda important.

The IF warlord trait is butt though. Same as the relic, I can't imagine ever taking it over a better generic option.

WhiteWolf123 fucked around with this message at 22:00 on Jul 22, 2017

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire

The Bee posted:

"soon you’ll have your own tricks and ploys to play, and unique rules for your Traitor Legion, Astra Militarum Regiment or Forge World of choice."

Sounds like solid confirmation that Xenos are getting screwed release 1, but at least Admech get nice toys early on.

Naw, in the FAQ they said individual craftworlds rules are coming back and cited necrons getting dynasty rules and adeptus mechanicus as getting forge worlds. I dont think its indicative of the order they're coming out but it does sound like they want to give every faction something similar to space marine chapter tactics.

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

WhiteWolf123 posted:

Bolter Drill is actually reasonable with Tactical Terminators. Storm Bolters will fire 4 shots each, so 4 of 'em will volley 16 shots, which is 2-3 re-fires on average. But those re-fires will equate to 4 more shots each, so you'll go from 16 shots to like 24-28 total bolter shots. That's not insignificant. It gets spicier with Hurricane Bolters, which makes the x2 Heavy Bolter/Hurricane Bolter Centurians pretty good with Bolter Drill, as each 6 will result in one of those guns getting to shoot again. :black101:
Nah, every 6+ is a single additional shot, not another full shooting action.

Sorry, but Bolter Drill is pretty lame. :shobon:

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

The Big Monkey!

RagnarokAngel posted:

Naw, in the FAQ they said individual craftworlds rules are coming back and cited necrons getting dynasty rules and adeptus mechanicus as getting forge worlds. I dont think its indicative of the order they're coming out but it does sound like they want to give every faction something similar to space marine chapter tactics.

That much I know and am excited for. Especially seeing what they come up with for hive fleets and genestealer cults. I mean more how when asked "what if not space marine" they said "here comes all the other Imperium factions, and Chaos". It seems like confirmation, or at least semi-decent confirmation, that Xenos are having to wait until after this first wave.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WhiteWolf123
Jun 18, 2008

Safety Factor posted:

Nah, every 6+ is a single additional shot, not another full shooting action.

Sorry, but Bolter Drill is pretty lame. :shobon:

God drat it. I even read it twice to make sure I was interpreting it correctly. gently caress, that sucks.