Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Space Bat posted:

On the topic of tanking can someone give me an explanation of the new meta in Sastasha where a tank in ironworks/shire gear will pull every mob in the entire dungeon? It seems next level and almost certainly above my perception, seeing as this has happened three times in a row.

Grabbing everything at once in the push before the final boss can hurt a bit if the healer isn't ready for it, but nothing else in Sastasha is really dangerous enough to be worried about. That said, if you wind up with two melee DPS in your party, you may as well single pull because it'll take them forever to burn down giant pulls with no AoE available (even if they are inclined to use it).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Meiteron
Apr 4, 2008

Whoa! You're gonna be a legend!

TheRagamuffin posted:

As a newbie tank, I'm finding the biggest thing that trips me up is knowing what mobs In about to lose threat lead on. I kinda wish there were separate aggro icons for "you have a decent threat lead" versus "you have a tenuous threat lead". How do better tanks keep track of this? Do I just need to get used to reading the A/2/3/4/etc markers at a glance? Is there any way that doesn't involve just cycling through every mob?

e: Should I just not even care about this level of micromanagement, and just Overpower again, when in doubt?

Remembering your ABCs, Always Be COverpowering, certainly won't hurt. In lower dungeons what will help is not to watch the threat bars, but to watch your dps party members. If you've done some overpowers but you have a dragoon single targeting something you're not, that's the one that will get away from you.

In general this is something you just start to develop instinctively the more dungeons you run. After a certain point you know if you pull a pack in a dungeon and overpower X amount of times you'll have hate locked down to a degree that the pack will be dead before someone pulls. Even then, do not freak out over losing control of a mob periodically - this is what provoke and tomahawk are for.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Thundarr posted:

I never did understand why they named that track Battle Theme 1.x when it is the battle theme for Final Fantasy 2 :v:

In Heavensward areas, overworld music plays continuously on a loop. For Stormblood areas, they went back to having music then silence then music, which is a shame because the overworld themes are *really good*. On the bright side, the silence doesn't last for long before the music track starts playing again, and the music tracks themselves are much longer than they were in ARR zones.

Another thing that they started doing in Heavensward (and continued in Stormblood) is that many/most dungeon music themes are variations on the music theme of the overworld area they are connected to. It's kind of a neat touch and works very well in most every case.

Ah, glad to hear they actually did something about it! ...and then somewhat undid it I guess, but hey, this is still good news for me! :3: Now I can't wait to get to those areas.

Space Bat
Apr 17, 2009

hold it now hold it now hold it right there
you wouldn't drop, couldn't drop diddy, you wouldn't dare

nuru posted:

Nothing in Sastasha does much damage and everyone is sick of Sastasha.

I just wish when I was leveling my WHM I didn't have to stand around an extra five minutes casting cure 1 over and over because the tank needed to pull every pirate before the boss. Basically, make everyone synch to 30 in LDRs for any dungeon below 30.

Tsurupettan
Mar 26, 2011

My many CoX, always poised, always ready, always willing to thrust.

Jinh posted:

unless i'm at 100/100,

:crossarms:

brokenknee
Aug 3, 2014

TheRagamuffin posted:

As a newbie tank, I'm finding the biggest thing that trips me up is knowing what mobs In about to lose threat lead on. I kinda wish there were separate aggro icons for "you have a decent threat lead" versus "you have a tenuous threat lead". How do better tanks keep track of this? Do I just need to get used to reading the A/2/3/4/etc markers at a glance? Is there any way that doesn't involve just cycling through every mob?

e: Should I just not even care about this level of micromanagement, and just Overpower again, when in doubt?
DISCLAIMER: This was my experience in Heavensward and all of the content up to 70 in Stormblood.

This level of micromanagement will only lead to you frothing at the mouth about how you absolutely hate being a tank.

The basic idea is that once you've either spammed your OP until empty or you've smacked that boss in the face with Butcher's Block, you're free to do whatever the hell you want to in the name of M A X D E E P S. I do feel there is -some- merit to the idea of "you are about to lose the lead" notices because honestly when I'm on the boss fights I'm not in tank stance most of the goddamn time, and I'm looking at when I can drop my next M A X D E E P move.

Or perhaps I just need to :gitgud: it's entirely possible

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.

Augus posted:

I don't get why some ranged/casters are seemingly allergic to standing close to the boss even when that's blatantly what the boss mechanics demand and people have said repeatedly to "stack behind the boss".

Because if they're a caster they can start attacking earlier if they don't waste time walking up the boss. It's just a matter of minimizing movement, and sort of the obvious thing to do. Obviously a lot of bosses punish this heavily.

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Why did no one tell me that the Magitek Armor plays Terra's theme if you've got mount music enabled :aaa: It's awkwardly sped up but god drat what a nostalgia trip.

That makes me wonder, are there other mounts with special music? If so, what's everyone's favorite?and how do I get those mounts

Gruckles
Mar 11, 2013

Your Computer posted:

Why did no one tell me that the Magitek Armor plays Terra's theme if you've got mount music enabled :aaa: It's awkwardly sped up but god drat what a nostalgia trip.

That makes me wonder, are there other mounts with special music? If so, what's everyone's favorite?and how do I get those mounts

All the mounts that drop from Extreme Primals play their respective theme music. The only other one I know of is the Witch's Broom from one year's halloween event(now the cash shop) which plays the event's music.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

I still the arridhaeus should play Rise and that twintania should play thunderer.

Otherwise I'm pretty good with all the mounts' music.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.

Your Computer posted:

The Fat Chocobo mount plays a rendition of his theme and the Gold Plated Magitek Armor also plays Terra's theme in addition to the ones Gruckles' mentioned.

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

Buzzard, Who Steals From Dead Bodies

EponymousMrYar posted:

The Fat Chocobo mount plays a rendition of his theme and the Gold Plated Magitek Armor also plays Terra's theme in addition to the ones Gruckles' mentioned.

Nero's and Livia's armors from the cash shop play Steel Reason instead, though. Likewise, the fat moogle plays Moggle Mog.

Kirin and Firebird play variations on the FF title screen theme.

Sadly, the easter egg does not play Pa-paya, and Ixion has nothing special at all. :( I really wish every mount had a unique theme.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

The broom should have been playing Matoya's theme :colbert:

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

IIRC Sleipnir plays Odin's theme (I have not shelled out for one).

The greatest tragedy is that the Flying Cumulus does not play Rock the Dragon.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST
I'm ok with tanks doing a brief little stop at the door to make sure nobody has afk'd outside of the line or anything. I am not ok with tanks doing that little stop and then not doing anything to signify pulling. If you're gonna hesitate, at least give me a second to Huton -> Hide. It takes like 2 seconds and we're already stopping the momentum.

I'm a big fan of Leviathan and Bismarck as far as primal mount music goes.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
I pull the instant everyone crosses the purple

If you aren't ready, just hang out behind it until you are

Azerban
Oct 28, 2003

cheetah7071 posted:

I pull the instant everyone crosses the purple

If you aren't ready, just hang out behind it until you are

this is correct

Creeping Chaos
Nov 15, 2012

What do?

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Blame yourself or God.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Thundarr posted:

I never did understand why they named that track Battle Theme 1.x when it is the battle theme for Final Fantasy 2 :v:

In Heavensward areas, overworld music plays continuously on a loop. For Stormblood areas, they went back to having music then silence then music, which is a shame because the overworld themes are *really good*. On the bright side, the silence doesn't last for long before the music track starts playing again, and the music tracks themselves are much longer than they were in ARR zones.

Another thing that they started doing in Heavensward (and continued in Stormblood) is that many/most dungeon music themes are variations on the music theme of the overworld area they are connected to. It's kind of a neat touch and works very well in most every case.

I believe the dungeon music trend actually started with Keeper of the Lake, which has an amazing remix of the Mor Dhona theme and is my absolute favourite dungeon music ever.

Jinh
Sep 12, 2008

Fun Shoe

Jinh posted:

Also I keep saying this, rdm aoe is 5x enchanted moulinet if you set it up right. build to 100/100 then EMx2 scatterx2 manafication EMx3

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

Ibblebibble posted:

I believe the dungeon music trend actually started with Keeper of the Lake, which has an amazing remix of the Mor Dhona theme and is my absolute favourite dungeon music ever.

It also has my favorite boss theme out of any dungeon.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Tam Tara HM has amazing music.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

vOv posted:

It also has my favorite boss theme out of any dungeon.

Whilst I am glad that I got the Silver Tears roll I am sad that a Primogenitor roll does not exist.

FisheyStix
Jul 2, 2008

This avatar was paid for by the Silent Majority.
Haha ok which one of you is Money Goblin

Panic! at Nabisco
Jun 6, 2007

it seemed like a good idea at the time

A pink catte on a pink dogge

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Ibblebibble posted:

Oh you're right, I forgot about that one. Patch 2.5 was practically Heavensward anyway, I say!

Midnightghoul
Oct 1, 2003

COME ON DON'T BE SCURRED

FisheyStix posted:

Haha ok which one of you is Money Goblin

I logged off in fear when I saw it earlier in Ul'dah

Emberfox
Jan 15, 2005

~rero rero rero rero rero
Should I queue for Sunken Temple of Qarn and Cutter's Cry? I was wondering, since they're optional, they wouldn't get much play in the leveling roulette, especially since Qarn looks REALLY punishing for new players from the video I watched.

brokenknee
Aug 3, 2014

Your Computer posted:

Also Bennu (from the cash shop) plays From the Ashes

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

All your friends and foes,
they thought they knew ya,
but look who's in your heart now.

Augus posted:

I don't get why some ranged/casters are seemingly allergic to standing close to the boss even when that's blatantly what the boss mechanics demand and people have said repeatedly to "stack behind the boss".

it's a dps loss, i'll get close to the boss during my instant casts and ogcd usage, gently caress u

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

Colgate posted:

Should I queue for Sunken Temple of Qarn and Cutter's Cry? I was wondering, since they're optional, they wouldn't get much play in the leveling roulette, especially since Qarn looks REALLY punishing for new players from the video I watched.

People will queue for them for leveling roulette and they're not that hard. The biggest thing about Qarn is to clear doom by standing on the tiles.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

vOv posted:

People will queue for them for leveling roulette and they're not that hard. The biggest thing about Qarn is to clear doom by standing on the tiles.

And to not leave bees until last.

But yeah, Qarn and CC should just be run at level like any other dungeon, unless you are riding the PotD train exclusively (but don't do that to yourself).

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

Can someone please provide me with the following:

1. What my (non-customised, standard 1-10 with Ctrl and Shift) hotbar as a Warrior should look like at the level 54ish range? Level 70 will probably do and I'll just leave what I don't have blank. Turns out pushing all these buttons can get pretty complex and I was kind of shooting myself in the foot when I did my first proper level 50 content like Ultima trial when I'd forgotten to set Infuriate and Storm's Eye and put them in sensible places.

2. A link to an extremely basic for-babbies guide to macroing and how it works. Presumably a guide that starts from "here's where you open the menu to start creating a macro".
At the least I'd like to be able to make macros for Shirk and some other stuff.

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

bewilderment posted:

1. What my (non-customised, standard 1-10 with Ctrl and Shift) hotbar as a Warrior should look like at the level 54ish range? Level 70 will probably do and I'll just leave what I don't have blank. Turns out pushing all these buttons can get pretty complex and I was kind of shooting myself in the foot when I did my first proper level 50 content like Ultima trial when I'd forgotten to set Infuriate and Storm's Eye and put them in sensible places.

2. A link to an extremely basic for-babbies guide to macroing and how it works. Presumably a guide that starts from "here's where you open the menu to start creating a macro".

you'll want these two macros

/micon "Defiance"
/ac "Defiance" <me>
/hotbar action "Inner Beast" 2 6
/hotbar action "Steel Cyclone" 2 4
/hotbar action "Unchained" 2 7

/micon "Deliverance"
/ac "Deliverance" <me>
/hotbar action "Fell Cleave" 2 6
/hotbar action "Decimate" 2 4
/hotbar action "Inner Release" 2 7

the first number is the bar, and the second number if the position on that bar. have the macros replace your defiance/deliverance buttons, and then you'll automatically swap out the relevant skills every time you switch stances (once you unlock the relevant abilities)

nuru
Oct 10, 2012

bewilderment posted:

1) Keybinds are going to be person specific but I think unless you have mutant hands putting anything on 6 through 0 is madness. Your combo can fit 1-6 (or ` through 5, whatever) and the rest just place based on how often you need to hit them.
2) Step 1 honestly is not to use macros for battle classes. Shirk is not too bad though, assuming you're the OT:

/micon "Shirk"
/macrolock
/merror off
/ac "Shirk" <tt>
/ac "Shirk" <t>
/merror on

This will use Shirk on the mob's target.

Givin
Jan 24, 2008
Givin of the Internet Hates You
I want a mount themed after Calcabrina's Theme.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Minrad posted:

you'll want these two macros

/micon "Defiance"
/ac "Defiance" <me>
/hotbar action "Inner Beast" 2 6
/hotbar action "Steel Cyclone" 2 4
/hotbar action "Unchained" 2 7

/micon "Deliverance"
/ac "Deliverance" <me>
/hotbar action "Fell Cleave" 2 6
/hotbar action "Decimate" 2 4
/hotbar action "Inner Release" 2 7

the first number is the bar, and the second number if the position on that bar. have the macros replace your defiance/deliverance buttons, and then you'll automatically swap out the relevant skills every time you switch stances (once you unlock the relevant abilities)

You don't need these macros in Stormblood, the skills automatically swap.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

cheetah7071 posted:

You don't need these macros in Stormblood, the skills automatically swap.

shiiit really? I hadn't bothered to check it since, well, I already had the macros in place. That's a life saver.

e: well I'll be damned