Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What was the lowest point of the Simpson
Homer Votes
Harlem Shake
Keisha Tik Tok intro
Homer Live
Lisa Goes Gaga
Other (please specify)
View Results

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

You are an odd fellow, but I must say... you throw a swell shindig.

All those are pretty funny episodes if you just loosen the gently caress up

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Aesop Poprock posted:

the New York episode get bad reps

No it doesn't

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Hedenius posted:

The most baffling thing about the movie is that they've spent years and years on the show with Rainier Wolfcastle as the Simpsons version of Arnold Schwarzenegger. And in the movie they just straight up call him Schwarzenegger instead.

and they get albert brooks to be the bad guy but he's not hank scorpio. how do you gently caress up poo poo that basic. poo poo took me completely out of the movie it's all i was thinking through the rest. it would've even had the plot make more "sense" why the gently caress is the epa doing an under the dome on springfield.

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Last Chance posted:

No it doesn't

There are a bunch of posts in this very thread where people claim it was when the simpsons started to go downhill

Captain Lavender
Oct 21, 2010

verb the adjective noun

I didn't used to like Marge Be Not Proud when I was younger, but now I like it mainly for Don Brodka.

That's right, Don Brodka.

nigga crab pollock
Mar 26, 2010

by Lowtax

hahahaha im howling with laughter at that face he makes at the end god drat

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Aesop Poprock posted:

There are a bunch of posts in this very thread where people claim it was when the simpsons started to go downhill

Oh, word?

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Yes. It is what the thread is about. Is the purpose of the thread. Hello, and welcome

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.

Groovelord Neato posted:

and they get albert brooks to be the bad guy but he's not hank scorpio. how do you gently caress up poo poo that basic. poo poo took me completely out of the movie it's all i was thinking through the rest. it would've even had the plot make more "sense" why the gently caress is the epa doing an under the dome on springfield.

Pop quiz, name all of the characters Albert Brooks played between seasons 1-8.

Now name his character in the big budget, super marketed movie.

Cobweb Heart
Mar 31, 2010

I need you to wear this. I need you to wear this all the time. It's office policy.

khwarezm posted:

Pop quiz, name all of the characters Albert Brooks played between seasons 1-8.

Now name his character in the big budget, super marketed movie.

wikipedia knows which is the most important

quote:

His voice acting credits include Marlin in Finding Nemo (2003) and Finding Dory (2016), and recurring guest voices for The Simpsons, including Russ Cargill in The Simpsons Movie (2007).

but he also did another appearance as hank scorpio for a cameo in the classic Simpsons episode, 500 Keys, where the family find a mysterious pile of 500 keys

quote:

After sorting out all the keys, Marge and Maggie find a key for a wind-up toy train called "The Pooter Toot Express", which Marge figures must be her anniversary present, which makes farting noises when it moves. The toy gets away from them and they must chase it throughout the city.

Meanwhile, Bart tries causing mayhem with the keys but all what is produced is good deeds, such as when he uses the window washer to moon everybody in the high-rise. Gil tries to commit suicide, and when he hits the window washer, he calls Bart a "naked fairy god-boy," and Bart receives a key to the city from Mayor Quimby.

Meanwhile, Homer finds a key to the Duff Brewery (it's implied that he got it from Duffman who proceeded to commit suicide by drowning from skinny-dipping in regards to being denied a drink), and he and Barney adventure in it. Homer flies off in the Duff blimp, but he drinks and texts while flying it.

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.

Cobweb Heart posted:

but he also did another appearance as hank scorpio for a cameo in the classic Simpsons episode, 500 Keys, where the family find a mysterious pile of 500 keys

This is real.

gently caress you.

Orkin Mang
Nov 1, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

nigga crab pollock posted:

hahahaha im howling with laughter at that face he makes at the end god drat

this is one of the best the way his glasses slip down when he points down . 2:03 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7kH3sjFmpaE

Three-Phase
Aug 5, 2006

by zen death robot

khwarezm posted:

This is real.

gently caress you.

I could just ramble inchoherently and it could well be a Simpsons plot.

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

Three-Phase posted:

I could just ramble inchoherently and it could well be a Simpsons plot.

S29 E2: "Last Exit to Morganville." Grandpa Simpson flashes back to his search for a new heel for his shoe. He recounts his journey to Morganville, which we discover is what they called Shelbyville in those days. He ties an onion to his belt, which we learn was the style at the time. The ferry costs a nickel. (Which in those days had pictures of bumblebees on them.) "Gimme five bees for a quarter," he says. The important thing was that he had an onion on his belt, which was the style at the time. However, we discover they didn't have any white onions, because of the war. The only thing he could get was a big yellow one. Guest star: Grimes.

Scudworth
Jan 1, 2005

When life gives you lemons, you clone those lemons, and make super lemons.

Dinosaur Gum

Drink-Mix Man posted:

S29 E2: "Last Exit to Morganville." Grandpa Simpson flashes back to his search for a new heel for his shoe. He recounts his journey to Morganville, which we discover is what they called Shelbyville in those days. He ties an onion to his belt, which we learn was the style at the time. The ferry costs a nickel. (Which in those days had pictures of bumblebees on them.) "Gimme five bees for a quarter," he says. The important thing was that he had an onion on his belt, which was the style at the time. However, we discover they didn't have any white onions, because of the war. The only thing he could get was a big yellow one. Guest star: Grimes.

I fully expect them to do this plot some day.

facebook jihad
Dec 18, 2007

by R. Guyovich
Is Gil a poor man's replacement of the Phil Hartman characters? I don't remember him being a big deal in early episodes but he seems to be all over the place now.

Fried Watermelon
Dec 29, 2008

facebook jihad posted:

Is Gil a poor man's replacement of the Phil Hartman characters? I don't remember him being a big deal in early episodes but he seems to be all over the place now.

Pretty much, even though they showed up together in that Marge becomes a real estate saleswoman episode

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

I feel like Gil's appearance corresponded to the first time I started somewhat disliking new first-run episodes.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
I like Gil. Well, I like Gil when he's an actual character in the stories.

But that probably hasn't happened in years because all the ancillary characters these days don't do anything in the plots, they just happen to be randomly standing around the action so they can deliver a joke that fits with whatever one note their character has been boiled down to. Seriously, the Flanders in later seasons have just walked in through the Simpsons' front door in the middle of a conversation and said some joke about Christianity and then end scene. Definitely one of the biggest problems with the flow of the show these days is they only write for the Simpsons or the guest star, everyone else gets one liners whether it makes sense for them to be in the scene or not.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

gil was always a one note character, in early episodes he was basically just there to be a reference to Jack Lemmon in GlenGary GlenRoss, I don't remember him ever being a real character

You Are A Werewolf
Apr 26, 2010

Black Gold!

Same thing with the "EEEHYEEEEEEESSSSSS?" guy based on Frank Nelson. I don't even know why they even considered creating or parodying a Frank Nelson-ish character since he added nothing to any episodes he was in.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Earwicker posted:

gil was always a one note character, in early episodes he was basically just there to be a reference to Jack Lemmon in GlenGary GlenRoss, I don't remember him ever being a real character

A lot of the supporting cast are ripoffs of something.

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.

PostNouveau posted:

Quimby is one of the Kennedys.
Chief Wiggum is Edward G. Robinson.
Moe is a reference to the bartender from the Tube Bar prank calls.
Dr Hibbert is Bill Cosby (oh man, haha).
Professor Frink was basically Jerry Lewis's character from the Nutty Professor.
Krusty was based off a clown on Television in Portland where Matt Groening grew up called Rusty Nails.
Troy McClure was a pastiche of B movie actor Doug McClure.
Dr Nick is based off of George Nichopoulos, basically Elvis's drug dealer who was actually called 'Dr Nick'.
Rainier Wolfcastle is Arnie.
Charles Bronson voice guy who shows up everywhere.

Checks out.

khwarezm fucked around with this message at 02:15 on Jul 25, 2017

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

khwarezm posted:

Dr Nick is based off of George Nichopoulos, basically Elvis's drug dealer who was actually called 'Dr Nick'.

I'm gonna assume there's an awesome book or at least long-form article about this dude somewhere that I now badly need to find.

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.

PostNouveau posted:

I'm gonna assume there's an awesome book or at least long-form article about this dude somewhere that I now badly need to find.

Wikipedia:
"Nichopoulos began treating Presley in 1967 for saddle pain, and took it on as a full-time job in 1970 until Presley's death in 1977. His son Dean Nichopoulos served sometimes as an assistant for Presley, taking care of his wardrobe. Nichopoulos was present the day Elvis died, and attempted to save his life. Nichopoulos was also present at the autopsy and served as a pallbearer at the funeral.

In 1979, the doctor was shot in the chest while watching a football game; he was not seriously injured. No suspect was ever arrested. Nichopoulos, in a 1993 interview with Dutch radio host Jorrit van der Kooi, claimed it must have been an angry Elvis fan.

In 1985, he started a solo practice called We Care, Inc.

After he was stripped of his credentials in 1995, Nichopoulos worked for a short time as Jerry Lee Lewis' road manager. He later took a job evaluating medical insurance claims by FedEx employees.[2] No longer a doctor and in need of money, Nichopoulos sold many of the items he received from Elvis at auctions, and at one point had a travelling exhibit, showing off his doctor's bag with some of the medications he prescribed for Elvis.

In 1980, Nichopoulos was indicted on 14 counts of overprescribing drugs to Elvis Presley, Jerry Lee Lewis and twelve other patients. The district attorney ruled out murder charges because of the conflicting medical opinions about the cause of Presley's death. In 1977 alone, Nichopoulos had prescribed over 10,000 doses[3] of amphetamines, barbiturates, narcotics, tranquilizers, sleeping pills, laxatives, and hormones for Presley. Nichopoulos claimed he had tried in vain to reduce Elvis' dependency, even going so far as to manufacture one thousand placebos for Elvis,[3] but to no avail. The jury concluded that he had tried to act in the best interests of his patients. He was acquitted on all counts.

Also in 1980, the Tennessee Board of Medical Examiners found him guilty of overprescription, but decided that he was not unethical. They imposed three months' suspension of his licence and three years' probation.

In 1993, Nichopoulos had his license permanently revoked by the Tennessee Board of Medical Examiners, and was branded a "Doctor Feelgood" in the press, after it was revealed that he had been overprescribing to numerous patients for years.[4][5][6][7] Nichopoulos claimed it was for patients that suffered from inoperable chronic pain, but he was unsuccessful in his defense. During his many appeals, Nichopoulos admitted to the board that he had overprescribed. "I cared too much", he told them. During his court cases many friends supported him, raising money and holding benefits to pay for court costs.[3]"

Yeesh...

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

PostNouveau posted:

I wouldn't call him a "ripoff" so much as a very concise parody, I'm just pointing out that he was never a major plot driver or anything, at least not in the early days, he'd just show up for a line or two and that was it

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Earwicker posted:

I wouldn't call him a "ripoff" so much as a very concise parody, I'm just pointing out that he was never a major plot driver or anything, at least not in the early days, he'd just show up for a line or two and that was it

He's sometimes the Simpsons' lawyer and there was that Christmas episode that centered around him.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

PostNouveau posted:

He's sometimes the Simpsons' lawyer and there was that Christmas episode that centered around him.

I guess I stopped watching before that point I don't remember any episode centered around him

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
Bumblee Man is El Chapulín Colorado and in general a pastiche of Mexican variety shows from the 70's/80's/90's/00's/10's/ongoing sans seminaked ladies

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

khwarezm posted:

Wikipedia:
"Nichopoulos began treating Presley in 1967 for saddle pain, and took it on as a full-time job in 1970 until Presley's death in 1977. His son Dean Nichopoulos served sometimes as an assistant for Presley, taking care of his wardrobe. Nichopoulos was present the day Elvis died, and attempted to save his life. Nichopoulos was also present at the autopsy and served as a pallbearer at the funeral.

In 1979, the doctor was shot in the chest while watching a football game; he was not seriously injured. No suspect was ever arrested. Nichopoulos, in a 1993 interview with Dutch radio host Jorrit van der Kooi, claimed it must have been an angry Elvis fan.

In 1985, he started a solo practice called We Care, Inc.

After he was stripped of his credentials in 1995, Nichopoulos worked for a short time as Jerry Lee Lewis' road manager. He later took a job evaluating medical insurance claims by FedEx employees.[2] No longer a doctor and in need of money, Nichopoulos sold many of the items he received from Elvis at auctions, and at one point had a travelling exhibit, showing off his doctor's bag with some of the medications he prescribed for Elvis.

In 1980, Nichopoulos was indicted on 14 counts of overprescribing drugs to Elvis Presley, Jerry Lee Lewis and twelve other patients. The district attorney ruled out murder charges because of the conflicting medical opinions about the cause of Presley's death. In 1977 alone, Nichopoulos had prescribed over 10,000 doses[3] of amphetamines, barbiturates, narcotics, tranquilizers, sleeping pills, laxatives, and hormones for Presley. Nichopoulos claimed he had tried in vain to reduce Elvis' dependency, even going so far as to manufacture one thousand placebos for Elvis,[3] but to no avail. The jury concluded that he had tried to act in the best interests of his patients. He was acquitted on all counts.

Also in 1980, the Tennessee Board of Medical Examiners found him guilty of overprescription, but decided that he was not unethical. They imposed three months' suspension of his licence and three years' probation.

In 1993, Nichopoulos had his license permanently revoked by the Tennessee Board of Medical Examiners, and was branded a "Doctor Feelgood" in the press, after it was revealed that he had been overprescribing to numerous patients for years.[4][5][6][7] Nichopoulos claimed it was for patients that suffered from inoperable chronic pain, but he was unsuccessful in his defense. During his many appeals, Nichopoulos admitted to the board that he had overprescribed. "I cared too much", he told them. During his court cases many friends supported him, raising money and holding benefits to pay for court costs.[3]"

Yeesh...

lol now that's a fuckin' doctor.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

This thread summed up

quote:

Comic Book Guy: As a loyal viewer, I feel they owe me.
Bart Simpson: What? They've given you thousands of hours of entertainment for free. What could they possibly owe you? I mean, if anything, you owe them.
Comic Book Guy: Worst episode ever.

There was a point, I dunno, around season 26 or 27? That I jumped back onboard and actually found a few episodes pretty good. Obviously nothing will ever touch the glory days but mainly I just wish they'd end it so they could release a whole box set cause I hate buying loose seasons of anything or incomplete movie sets or whatever. I guess thats nothing to hold my breath for either, they'll never be able to do it by disc. Always felt like they would come out with some kinda new way of doing it, some kinda new storage device. But the advent of streaming probably has nixed any hope of some new format of physical media coming along for TV series' and such.

okay there will be a 50 or 100 disc set and it'll be $499 or something and I will buy it and hate myself for it

Harold Stassen
Jan 24, 2016

Last Chance posted:

lol now that's a fuckin' doctor.

We're going to sell him to Mr. Nichopopolous? :ohdear:

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope
i watched an episode of the simpsons last night out of sheer curiosity, and i witnessed the following:

-three 3-beat non-sequitur "jokes" in a row, in the space of about a minute and a half
-a bad joke, followed immediately by an explanation of the joke

what the gently caress are these writers thinking anymore

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

codo27 posted:

This thread summed up

There was a point, I dunno, around season 26 or 27? That I jumped back onboard and actually found a few episodes pretty good. Obviously nothing will ever touch the glory days but mainly I just wish they'd end it so they could release a whole box set cause I hate buying loose seasons of anything or incomplete movie sets or whatever. I guess thats nothing to hold my breath for either, they'll never be able to do it by disc. Always felt like they would come out with some kinda new way of doing it, some kinda new storage device. But the advent of streaming probably has nixed any hope of some new format of physical media coming along for TV series' and such.

okay there will be a 50 or 100 disc set and it'll be $499 or something and I will buy it and hate myself for it

Yeah they just released Season 18 (2006) on DVD/BluRay, and they had been stalled for years on releases before that. I don't expect they'll ever catch up until the show ends.

Backweb
Feb 14, 2009

Earwicker posted:

I guess I stopped watching before that point I don't remember any episode centered around him

It's because they're confusing Gil with Lionel Hutz

PostNouveau posted:

You're thinking of Lionel Hutz, not Gil.

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

Backweb posted:

Haha, nope...

Orkin Mang
Nov 1, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
s12e4 simpsons go to death valley

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Backweb posted:

No, I'm not.

He's the focus of "Kill Gill Vol. 1 & 2" which was a Christmas episode about how the Simpsons take him in out of pity and then he takes advantage of them for a whole year. It was pretty good.

He's Homer and Marge's lawyer in the one where they're accused of murder and when he helps Marge in a campaign against sugar.

Ein cooler Typ
Nov 26, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
they announced a couple years ago they were stopping releasing the season box sets http://www.slashfilm.com/the-simpsons-dvds-discontinued/

so have they changed their minds about that

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Ein cooler Typ posted:

they announced a couple years ago they were stopping releasing the season box sets http://www.slashfilm.com/the-simpsons-dvds-discontinued/

so have they changed their minds about that

I guess so

http://ew.com/tv/2017/07/22/simpsons-dvds-season-18-comic-con/