Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

dark tower being that length would fine if they had done the right thing and just made a gunslinger movie.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

Guy Mann posted:

You can dislike the general trend of movies being too long while still wanting individual films to be appropriately epic.

Also, the new Del Toro movie looks pretty interesting. I'm not sure if it's officially a Hellboy spinoff or if it's just a movie that happens to star Doug Jones as a merman kept in a government research facility but it looks pretty. Plus the cast is awesome and after the recent Planet of the Apes movies I think it's cool to see more sign language in movies.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XFYWazblaUA

Hell yes, Sally Hawkins!

Red Bones
Aug 9, 2012

"I think he's a bad enough person to stay ghost through his sheer love of child-killing."

If that is the ending I think Spielberg, a human being with empathy and the capacity to care about things other than 80's pop culture, will probably do something different with it. I'm kind of interested to see what direction he takes it all in.

Guy Mann posted:

Also, the new Del Toro movie looks pretty interesting. I'm not sure if it's officially a Hellboy spinoff or if it's just a movie that happens to star Doug Jones as a merman kept in a government research facility but it looks pretty. Plus the cast is awesome and after the recent Planet of the Apes movies I think it's cool to see more sign language in movies.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XFYWazblaUA

This looks really cool and I heard Del Toro had a pitch for the Creature from the Black Lagoon that got rejected at one point. Maybe this is what he would have made? I'm glad he's making it, it looks like a really good small scale sci-fi/horror/drama story.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Red Bones posted:

This looks really cool and I heard Del Toro had a pitch for the Creature from the Black Lagoon that got rejected at one point. Maybe this is what he would have made? I'm glad he's making it, it looks like a really good small scale sci-fi/horror/drama story.

The hand drawn poster looks extremely Creature-from-the-Black-Lagoon-ish:

I'm pretty sure that the new Universal monster shared universe thing which kicked off with Tom Cruise in The Mummy is also going to include the Creature from the Black Lagoon, I'll laugh my rear end off if The Shape of Water does better than The Mummy.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Is that a mermaid? Is this a love story between the worlds of the deeps and the shallows? (oddly enough, it's the creature who's the shallow part of this equation)

I'd give them props for making what starts out as a horror movie and turns into a romance with a bunch of dopey holidaymakers playing matchmaker.

Note: I do not know anything at all about The Creature From The Black Lagoon.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

isn't it abe sapien from hellboy.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Guy Mann posted:

I really hope one scene just has Robert Pattinson walking by in the background with no emphasis or fanfare.

This would be sick as hell.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Groovelord Neato posted:

isn't it abe sapien from hellboy.

It is definitely not Abe Sapien©™ licenced property of Columbia Pictures, nosiree. It is clearly a significantly different, legally distinct character as determined by Fox Searchlight's legal counsel. Tooootally not Abe Sapien©™!

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Something something, 9/11 shared universe.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

It is definitely not Abe Sapien©™ licenced property of Columbia Pictures, nosiree. It is clearly a significantly different, legally distinct character as determined by Fox Searchlight's legal counsel. Tooootally not Abe Sapien©™!

Played by the same guy who was Abe Sapien in the Hellboy movies.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

muscles like this! posted:

Played by the same guy who was Abe Sapien in the Hellboy movies.

Totally a coincidence, we swear!!

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

and like smash mouth he eats the eggs

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax
https://twitter.com/bombsfall/status/888964897501040642

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

Hahaha

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

sethsez posted:

95 minutes is pretty drat short for the first entry in a fantasy series that's incredibly dense and took seven books written over a few decades to tell. Most movies are bloated these days, but for what The Dark Tower is that feels fairly anemic.

This is one nice thing about Ready Player One being adapted. A relatively simple story from a one-and-done novel of average length. No worries about having to excise huge parts or having to create tons of filler.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

muscles like this! posted:

Cline destroyed any benefit of doubt you could give him by putting out a second novel which was basically the same thing except somehow shittier.
RP1 is something I could have poo poo out with not a lot of effort. Except I'm really hard on my work and would know it was a turd.

Lobok posted:

This is one nice thing about Ready Player One being adapted. A relatively simple story from a one-and-done novel of average length. No worries about having to excise huge parts or having to create tons of filler.
He's writing a sequel :ssh:

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Lobok posted:

Sometimes doesn't stop studios from doing so anyway.

I'm reminded of a Little Engine That Could animated movie I fondly remembered from my childhood, and rewatching as an adult, what struck me the most was the drat thing was only half an hour long. I'm pretty sure the Little Golden Book Land failed cartoon pilot that had said Engine as a character was longer. (I watched some weird and random poo poo as a kid, the more I look back on it. The Fleischer Superman cartoons were at least among them)

Pacing is a weird thing. Bladders aside, I think people can easily lose track of how much time they've spent watching a movie, especially since cinemas (and often the malls they're built into) are specifically designed to filter out the outside world so you have no way of keeping track, and people SHOULD have their phones off. Length becomes more of an issue with home viewing; setting aside sometime to go see a movie is one thing, but when you have control of when it starts and ends, something short and sweet may feel like the better investment.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Casimir Radon posted:

He's writing a sequel :ssh:

Ah, whoops! Well, my point still stands. The novel doesn't end on a cliffhanger or sequel setup and the movie isn't trying to fit several books into one movie.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

I know that image has been floating around for a few years but it's never not funny

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

ready player one and armada are the worst novels ever written by anyone ever.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

RP1 is pretty bad but at least in the ending the main character decides to start spending time in the real world and not as much in the virtual world.

There's a decent message there, I think, but sadly it'll probably get overlooked with the movie.

I also hate to admit that it bothers me that Tom Sawyer is used in the trailer because 2112 was the Rush album that was the huge plot point, not Moving Pictures. This lovely book's movie shouldn't be annoying me like this and I hate myself for it. :argh:

Vandar fucked around with this message at 17:52 on Jul 23, 2017

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Valerian's final weekend total was $17 mil, which is not even 10% of its $180 mil budget (which probably doesn't include ad costs)

Mywhatacleanturtle
Jul 23, 2006

FlamingLiberal posted:

Valerian's final weekend total was $17 mil, which is not even 10% of its $180 mil budget (which probably doesn't include ad costs)

Ouch.

It's been a bad year for sci-fi. :(

Strontosaurus
Sep 11, 2001

My local cinema isn't playing Valerian. I called and asked the front desk, but the guy didn't have an answer. Any idea why? They've got about 15 screens and normally play everything, including IMAX and 3D.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

Groovelord Neato posted:

ready player one and armada are the worst novels ever written by anyone ever.

I almost stopped reading Armada because of how thick it was with gaming pop culture references in the first third of the book (I recall thinking to myself that I finally understood what people were saying about RP1), but I stuck through it and I found it overall decent enough.

MisterBibs fucked around with this message at 21:03 on Jul 23, 2017

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
FEEL FREE TO DISREGARD THIS POST

It is guaranteed to be lazy, ignorant, and/or uninformed.

Yeah, I don't get this.

Tars Tarkas
Apr 13, 2003

Rock the Mok

A nasty woman, I think you should try is, Jess.

It's a short film/commercial but still, Siri....

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

The best thing about RP1 is people younger than ne telling me I just don't remember the 80s. No I don't (Born at the end of '88) and neither do you.

The D in Detroit
Oct 13, 2012
I barely remember the 90s.

Early 2000s is where it's at.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

MisterBibs posted:

I almost stopped reading Armada because of how thick it was with gaming pop culture references in the first third of the book (I recall thinking to myself that I finally understood what people were saying about RP1), but I stuck through it and I found it overall decent enough.

it's a total ripoff of the last starfighter. except worse due to the minutiae about what movie ships everyone flies and every goddamn song on his playlist when he shoots enemies.

Tars Tarkas
Apr 13, 2003

Rock the Mok

Having a mount anyone can get if they complete a quest is the signature of my online avatar...

FlamingLiberal posted:

It's me, I'm the guy who was going to see this but was busy and might not make it until next week, I killed Valerian

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

Hollismason posted:

Yeah, I don't get this.

Ready Player One is literally just that special, awkward post with the barest semblance of story added, stretched into the length of a novel. Just a bunch of your favorite 80s characters getting together for a birthday party some MMO contest.

Dinosaurs!
May 22, 2003

I think I've finally had enough of The Rock.

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
The Rock sucks.

The Rock is still amazing.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
It feels like instead of having all the nostalgic things randomly in your wish-fulfillment fantasy, instead write a story inspired by all these nostalgic stories.

Crazy, I know.

Tars Tarkas
Apr 13, 2003

Rock the Mok

It's way easier to do lazy pop culture mashups for retweets/likes/probably illegal t-shirt sales than to create your own thing, and will go farther on social media

Donate to my Patreon to get exclusive prints of Female Megatron turning into a TARDIS

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010

SleepCousinDeath posted:

I barely remember the 90s.

Early 2000s is where it's at.
Same, tbh, just sega genesis and the Houston rockets

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

Strontosaurus posted:

My local cinema isn't playing Valerian. I called and asked the front desk, but the guy didn't have an answer. Any idea why?

It's French. You can't trust those cowards!

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"

Samuel Clemens posted:

It's French. You can't trust those cowards!

If anything, i'd think that the French would want to collaborate with as many theaters as humanly possible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

screech on the beach
Mar 9, 2004

FlamingLiberal posted:

Apparently none of that matters.

https://qz.com/1033865/valerian-luc-bessons-sci-fi-epic-is-the-most-expensive-non-american-film-ever-made/

• Locked thread