Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
farraday
Jan 10, 2007

Lower those eyebrows, young man. And the other one.

Rigel posted:

New ruling from the Senate parliamentarian: the so-called "age tax" needs 60 votes.

That basically kills every GOP plan other than maybe the skinny repeal. (well maybe not the 2015 repeal either, but thats already DOA so who cares)

https://twitter.com/RebeccaShabad/status/889945158720028674

Probably why they stuck the Cruz amendment to it, it was going to require 60 votes and fail anyways.

farraday fucked around with this message at 22:03 on Jul 25, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aves Maria!
Jul 26, 2008

Maybe I'll drown

Aurubin posted:

Out of curiosity, why wasn't Gardner ever on the "moderate" list? Colorado voted for Hilary by a decent margin. Is it just that 4 years is too far in legislative memory?

also its because Gardner is a piece of poo poo who only pretended to be a moderate when he was trying to get elected. he's absolutely hosed in 2020.

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

Kawasaki Nun posted:

The histrionics in this thread are pretty pathetic. Everyone that thinks the sky is already falling should take a walk if they're able to. Gnashing your teeth about a 50-50 vote to proceed with debate on a half-baked bill is a bit premature.

Why do people keep coming in here and posting this garbage?

Do you realize your posts are about as worthless as the chicken little posts?

And now I'm worse than you. Thank you Kawasaki Nun for keeping this thread a place for reason and justice.

botany
Apr 27, 2013

by Lowtax

Petr posted:

Are you assuming that the moderates vote the way they did last time? I admit I don't have an exact vote count of how the house went down previously, but it seems really unlikely to me that the tortilla coast could hold up the thing on their own.

HFC has 31 votes. they absolutely can hold the thing up on their own.

Casey Finnigan
Apr 30, 2009

Dumb ✔
So goddamn crazy ✔
Poor people with a glioblastoma don't get to avoid suffering, though. A lot of suffering, that extends past them and hits their whole families in material ways. Why should McCain?

Yeah obviously McCain's suffering won't solve anything but how do people not understand this sentiment coming from frustrated people who currently have no political power?

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Gumbel2Gumbel posted:

Do you know how much better "Flush that Orange Turd" would poll instead of whatever horseshit the DNC has dreamed up now?

Having nothing to say except "Trump Bad" didn't exactly work well last time the DNC tried that.

Kale
May 14, 2010

Loving the dark turn this thread took in turning into a tribunal on whether John McCain should live or die. American Political discussion sure is a thing these days. Just divisive and antagonistic as a fault. Even if the U.S was still interested in setting the pace for democracy and global debates on the issues of the times I'm not sure I'd want it to anymore.

Perhaps the funniest thing about modern American politics and the debates surrounding them is that people legitimately think Trump is going anywhere before his first term is up and even then figuring it's a done deal in 2020 when arguably the defining trait of American politics is antagonistic partisanship trumping any and all reason and common sense. I mean what about anything that has transpired as Trumps first year winds down leads anyone to believe that he's going to be impeached or forced to resign exactly? Not that I'm saying I'd like anything less than to see him dumped but then it still wouldn't get rid of the enormous divides with liberals and conservatives sniping at and name calling each other daily and trying to dick each other over with their time in congress. It's pure candy land wishful thinking at this point anyway though and the sudden healing of the American democratic and conciliatory spirit seems even more so. Things are more likely to continue as they are or just get worse based on all the evidence I've seen since the tea party became a thing and how there's little sign that the deep partisan divide that realistically has been there since the civil war days is suddenly going to be bridged in the next year or even decade.

Kale fucked around with this message at 22:12 on Jul 25, 2017

Aves Maria!
Jul 26, 2008

Maybe I'll drown

Casey Finnigan posted:

Poor people with a glioblastoma don't get to avoid suffering, though. A lot of suffering, that extends past them and hits their whole families in material ways. Why should McCain?

Yeah obviously McCain's suffering won't solve anything but how do people not understand this sentiment coming from frustrated people who currently have no political power?

Because they're a loving Aaron Sorkin screenplay come to life

The Phlegmatist
Nov 24, 2003

Rigel posted:

I'm not counting on the house for anything. If skinny repeal passes, then maybe the HFC forces a conference? That would be a good thing, because this turns into a total mess in conference that could die, but they would know that conference is unlikely to succeed so if Paul is on board with skinny repeal, then I think the HFC is too.

I don't know what to make of Rand Paul's tweets this morning. I think he still wants a full repeal and won't be satisfied with anything less.

The skinny repeal (repealing the individual mandate, the employer mandate and then instituting around 33% of the tax cuts in the AHCA) is not exactly some kind of big victory for the GOP.

Flip Yr Wig posted:

So does repealing the individual mandate pass the Byrd rule because it can be construed as a tax, rather than a penalty for breaking a statute?

Yes, since they can just set the tax penalty to $0. Nothing against the Byrd rule there.

selec
Sep 6, 2003

Harrow posted:

Having nothing to say except "Trump Bad" didn't exactly work well last time the DNC tried that.

"Dangerous Donald" makes you look like such a loving dork I'm hoping whoever you're trying to talk about gives you a swirlie.

Part of the problem is that they have no message. An equally large part of the problem is that they have no goddamn spine or gumption or anything. They're like people who get really excited for Wheel of Fortune time.

Your Boy Fancy
Feb 7, 2003

by Cyrano4747

Sinteres posted:

That's not how it works.

50-49 is a loss. I want John McCain to die. I also want you to stop pretending that respectability means anything anymore.

Seriously, name me something in the last two years that respectability and good faith have done for the American working class in the last two years.

farraday
Jan 10, 2007

Your Boy Fancy posted:

50-49 is a loss. I want John McCain to die. I also want you to stop pretending that respectability means anything anymore.

Seriously, name me something in the last two years that respectability and good faith have done for the American working class in the last two years.

You realize McCain dying doesn't take away Arizona's Senate seat right?

Aves Maria!
Jul 26, 2008

Maybe I'll drown

Kale posted:

Loving the dark turn this thread took in turning into a tribunal on whether John McCain should live or die. American Political discussion sure is a thing these days. Just divisive and antagonistic as a fault. Even if the U.S was still interested in setting the pace for democracy and global debates on the issues of the times I'm not sure I'd want it to anymore.

"Decency" in politics has been dead for years now, and Republicans killed it. Pretending to all be friends and glad-handing no longer matters when one party is essentially a cult of death.

farraday posted:

You realize McCain dying doesn't take away Arizona's Senate seat right?

It takes away their capacity to pass this lovely legislation for as long as it takes for someone to replace him

Aves Maria! fucked around with this message at 22:07 on Jul 25, 2017

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

WhiskeyJuvenile posted:

A woman is driving dangerously down a winding road, recklessly passing cars until she comes upon a slow moving Mack truck. As she goes to pass, her car is clipped by a truck going in the opposite direction, then slammed full-force by the Mack, killing her.

Meanwhile, John Quincy Archibald and his wife Denise witness their young son Michael collapse at his baseball game and take Michael to the hospital. After a series of tests at the hospital, John is informed by Dr. Raymond Turner and Rebecca Payne, the hospital administrator, that his son has an enlarged heart and that he will die without a heart transplant. The procedure is very expensive: $250,000 (at a minimum), with a down payment of $75,000 (30%) required to get Michael's name on the organ recipient list. John tells them he is insured, but after looking through his policy, they tell him that because the company he works for dropped John from full-time to part-time, his health insurance has been changed, and the new policy does not cover the surgery, which leaves John and Denise to raise $75,000 on their own. The family tries to raise the money but are only able to come up with a third of the necessary payment. The hospital eventually tires of waiting and decides to release Michael, and an outraged Denise urges John to do something. Unwilling to let his child die, John walks into the hospital ER with a handgun, gathers eleven hostages, and sets demands: his son's name on the recipient list as soon as possible or the hostages die. The hostage negotiator, Lt. Frank Grimes, stands down to let John cool off.

Meanwhile, John and the eleven hostages learn more about each other. They begin to understand John's situation and support him a little as he ensures each of them receive the treatment they came to the emergency room for. One of them, Miriam, is pregnant, and her husband Steve is hoping that their first child is healthy. A young hostage, Julie, has a broken arm, and she and her boyfriend Mitch claim that a car crash caused it. Due to holes in their story, John and another hostage, Lester, conclude the two are lying and that Mitch beat up Julie. After a while, John agrees to release some hostages to have his son's name added to the list an hour afterward. He releases Steve, Miriam, and a hostage named Rosa with her baby.

The Chicago Chief of Police, Gus Monroe, gives a SWAT unit permission to insert a sniper into the building via an air shaft. John is shot but ends up receiving only a minor wound, which is treated right away. After taking the shot, the sniper's leg falls through the ceiling tiles. Outraged, John pulls him out of the air shaft and beats him up. Using the bound SWAT policeman as a human shield, he steps outside to the sight of dozens of policemen pointing weapons at him and a large, supportive crowd. John demands that his son be brought to the emergency room. The police agree to his demand in exchange for the SWAT sniper.

Once his son arrives, John reveals to the hostages his intention to commit suicide so his heart can be used to save his son. He persuades Dr. Turner to perform the operation, and two of his hostages bear witness to a will stating his last request. John says his last goodbyes to Michael and enters the operating room. He loads a single bullet into the gun; his gun was never loaded from and he never intended to kill any of the hostages. John pulls the trigger, but the safety is on. As he prepares to end his life a second time, his wife learns about an organ donor (the woman killed in the beginning of the film) who has been flown to the hospital for organ recovery. She runs to the emergency room and stops John from shooting himself, and John allows the hostages to go free. Michael is given the life-saving operation and, after watching the procedure with Denise, John is taken into police custody. Afterwards the entire ordeal becomes subject to a national debate about the quality and accessibility of insurance and healthcare. Three months later at his trial, all of the witnesses speak on his behalf. He is later acquitted of charges of attempted murder and armed criminal action but is found guilty of kidnapping. It is never revealed what his sentence for the crime will be, but his lawyer is overheard and saying that no judge will give him "more than three to five (years)" and that she will try to get it reduced to two.

Crazy as gently caress that this was seen as a totally normal and reasonable plot and the GOP wants to go back to it.

Again, Breaking Bad is about a chemistry teacher who sells meth to treat his cancer and people in the US were totally understanding of why that is a thing that would happen.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Gumbel2Gumbel posted:

Do you know how much better "Flush that Orange Turd" would poll instead of whatever horseshit the DNC has dreamed up now?

I seem to recall some complaints that negative ads took too much of Hillary's focus.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Your Boy Fancy posted:

It says something about how broken your moral compass is that you think someone saying hey maybe chanting for death isn't a particularly healthy thing to do is just playing respectability politics.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Kale posted:

I tribunal? I'd like to think of us more as a crucible.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Kale posted:

IMO John McCain should die eventually because if someone's going to be immortal it better not be John loving McCain

In all seriousness, though, I think we're long past the point at which the GOP and many of their voters can be reasoned with. There's no "debate" to be had--an honest debate requires arguing in good faith, and the GOP has no intention of doing so. There are no "moderates" on their side to win over. The best we can do is try to muster up more people who already agree with us to just outvote the poo poo out of them and clean up their mess.

Casey Finnigan
Apr 30, 2009

Dumb ✔
So goddamn crazy ✔

Kale posted:

Well I mean, Obama tried to reach across the aisle and was poo poo on relentlessly for eight years. Then the Republicans fielded an idiot who proceeded to collude with a foreign power, and he got elected. And now the GOP's only agenda is dismantling the government from cabinet posts and, I mean, literally ruining peoples' lives by stripping their healthcare in a heinous move decried by everyone. And the reason they're doing this is tax cuts for the rich.

What do you want from us?

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

It was more controversial on this forum to celebrate bin Laden's death than it is to celebrate McCain's.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

OddObserver posted:

Which one? 1905, February, October --- or, arguably, 1991?

February, I'd say, as it started with mostly disorganized protests with a variety of goals.

Aves Maria!
Jul 26, 2008

Maybe I'll drown

Sinteres posted:

It says something about how broken your moral compass is that you think someone saying hey maybe chanting for death isn't a particularly healthy thing to do is just playing respectability politics.

No one cares how amazing and righteous of a person you are for not being angry about the actions of rich people who live off the suffering and death of others. There's no award coming for you in the mail.

nerdz
Oct 12, 2004

Complex, statistically improbable things are by their nature more difficult to explain than simple, statistically probable things.
Grimey Drawer
This thread is going to be absolute poo poo until we get any further news

Flip Yr Wig
Feb 21, 2007

Oh please do go on
Fun Shoe

Sinteres posted:

It was more controversial on this forum to celebrate bin Laden's death than it is to celebrate McCain's.

Well, if we're going to compare raw numbers...

RoboChrist 9000
Dec 14, 2006

Mater Dolorosa
An important distinction, also, between wishing death upon McCain and other Republican officials and the death penalty is this: in the death penalty, the criminal is executed after the crime. It is a purely retributive action that in no way protects or saves the innocent. If McCain dies before he can vote to strip many people of their healthcare, then the death has prevented the crime from happening and the act was not purely retributive.

It is the difference between killing in self defense and killing after the fact in vengeance.

EDIT: For clarity, I'm not taking a side in this discussion because I think it's pointless. But I do think that saying it's hypocritical to wish death upon McCain while simultaneously condemning the death penalty is not hypocrisy.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Sinteres posted:

If we'd killed thousands in our crusade across AZ to kill McCain celebration would probably be dampened.

Aves Maria!
Jul 26, 2008

Maybe I'll drown

Sinteres posted:

John McCain has arguably done more to cause people across the world to suffer than bin Laden.

Petr
Oct 3, 2000

The Phlegmatist posted:

The skinny repeal (repealing the individual mandate, the employer mandate and then instituting around 33% of the tax cuts in the AHCA) is not exactly some kind of big victory for the GOP.

It's huge. The mandates going will cause a crisis in the health market and give Republicans an excuse to pass wider reforms. They might even get some Dems on board, depending what they propose, because anything will be better than the unstable hellscape the ACA will become without it.

farraday
Jan 10, 2007

Aves Maria! posted:

"Decency" in politics has been dead for years now, and Republicans killed it. Pretending to all be friends and glad-handing no longer matters when one party is essentially a cult of death.

It takes away their capacity to pass this lovely legislation for as long as it takes for someone to replace him

10 minutes? They could literally pick a sitting Rep from Az and have them walk across the dome to be sworn in.

botany
Apr 27, 2013

by Lowtax

Sinteres posted:

no it wasn't

Aves Maria!
Jul 26, 2008

Maybe I'll drown

farraday posted:

10 minutes? They could literally pick a sitting Rep from Az and have them walk across the dome to be sworn in.

That's not how it works, or how it would work.

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance

Sinteres posted:

Who is responsible for the deaths of more Americans do you figure?

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Besides a big arguement against the death penalty is how expensive it is.

For McCain we just have to wait.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

If "we will kill McCain" becomes the justification for America's longest war, my bad.

*hint: The only thing threatening a senator starts with "c" and rhymes with dancer.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Aves Maria! posted:

No one cares how amazing and righteous of a person you are for not being angry about the actions of rich people who live off the suffering and death of others. There's no award coming for you in the mail.

As a millennial, I think you'll find that I'm entitled to a trophy.

botany posted:

no it wasn't

Funny how a bunch of people felt like defending the proposition that it should be though.

Al Borland Corp. posted:

With the new healthcare law you're entitled to atrophy.

:golfclap:

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Sinteres posted:

As a millennial, I think you'll find that I'm entitled to a trophy.

With the new healthcare law you're entitled to atrophy.

Your Boy Fancy
Feb 7, 2003

by Cyrano4747

Sinteres posted:

You can't name one, can you?

On the other side, Republicans have been winking at death. Second amendment solutions. Crosshairs on abortion clinics. People who do good in the world are being harmed or killed because of the choices and ideals being espoused.

"I wish he would die so my friends would not" is not only a perfectly understandable reaction to events, but it's also as old as time. Stop pretending dignity matters when life and death are in play. They already have.

CodeJanitor
Mar 30, 2005
I still can't think of anything to say.

nerdz posted:

This thread is going to be absolute poo poo until we get any further news

of McCain's death.

Spaced God
Feb 8, 2014

All torment, trouble, wonder and amazement
Inhabits here: some heavenly power guide us
Out of this fearful country!

https://twitter.com/AP/status/889957220535947265
here's a good thing that isn't about how glad I am that McCain has terminal brain cancer

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Flip Yr Wig posted:

So does repealing the individual mandate pass the Byrd rule because it can be construed as a tax, rather than a penalty for breaking a statute?

it passes the byrd rule because it doesn't actually "repeal" it, it just sets the penalty for breaking it to $0

so theoretically you're required to have health insurance or face a tax penalty of zero dollars, which is meaningless trivia compared to repealing it outright except that it would let democrats put it back in via reconciliation

• Locked thread