Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Tom Perez B/K/M?
This poll is closed.
B 77 25.50%
K 160 52.98%
M 65 21.52%
Total: 229 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!

Republicans learned from that tho
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ruLOzpTRFzo

E: also that cheer for Ted Kennedy was before the Death Panels messaging was developed, Republicans hadn't yet started claiming the ACA was a plot to murder America's dumb gullible olds

VitalSigns fucked around with this message at 01:06 on Jul 26, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

WampaLord posted:

Don't you think they're going to vote D anyway, no matter what amount of clapping took place?

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Matt Zerella posted:

Just quadrupling down now eh?

I'm merely showing that this one particular thing is something both sides do as a matter of common courtesy. I understand people are mad at the Dems for holding civility over politics, but in this particular case, it is normal for them to do so.

Even the crazy obstructionist Obama-hating GOP applauded Ted Kennedy.

That's literally all I've been saying but people are using me as a strawman to attack the entire idea of civility, which is not something I'm advocating for. I am just trying to explain that getting mad at the Dems for doing this normal thing is wasting your anger, get mad at them for good reasons.

Jesus christ, read some of my posts from before this issue, if you think I'm a Bad Dem lover, go read my arguments against JC.

E: VVV Trump hasn't had a State of the Union yet, maybe some Dem will do the same thing and then everyone can stop bitching.

BadOptics
Sep 11, 2012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qgce06Yw2ro

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Joe_Wilson_(American_politician) posted:

In September 2009, Wilson received international attention when he interrupted a speech by U.S. President Barack Obama to the joint session of Congress by shouting "You lie!".[3][4] The incident resulted in a reprimand by the House of Representatives.[5]

Wilson was re-elected in 2010 by 9 percentage points over his closest challenger and when he ran unopposed in the 2012 general election he was re-elected with 96% of the vote. Wilson won re-election in 2014 with more than 62% of the vote in a three-way race.

How did he do in 2016? He won again LOL!

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)

Man. I'll grudgingly admit one thing, the way Trump completely and utterly humiliated Chris Christie was goddamn incredible.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Glazier posted:

Yeah and that's the problem. You want to know why Trump is President and Bernie almost won the Democratic primary? It's because they acted like normal loving human beings when confronted with the issues most Americans deal with; they got mad, loud and passionate.

Oh, by the way, Bernie hugged McCain today.

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2017/jul/25/bernie-sanders-john-mccain-senate-republican-healthcare-cancer

quote:

The Arizona senator’s return to Washington met bipartisan applause. Almost every senator hugged McCain after the vote, lining up at his desk to take turns paying his or her respects. A hug with Bernie Sanders turned into an impromptu waltz as the two men ended up spinning each other around the aisles of the Senate.

Is Bernie now a Bad Dem?

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold
no

he's a bad vermont people's whatever the gently caress his party is

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Y'all keep harping on that fact that he's not a democrat so no, he's not a bad dem.

Gynocentric Regime
Jun 9, 2010

by Cyrano4747

Raskolnikov38 posted:

no

he's a bad vermont people's whatever the gently caress his party is

This

Sneakster
Jul 13, 2017

by R. Guyovich
Perhaps skinny repeal passes and the private market collapses, forcing democrats to adopt medicare/medicaid for all?

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

everyone who was nice to mccain today deserves to be primaried

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Condiv posted:

So Bernie Sanders too?

Y'all have gone too far off the anger cliff here.

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

Condiv posted:

I really have to disagree. I mean yes, Mccain is someone who is likely going to burn in hell for being a lying,hypocritical, unrepentant philanderer, but at the moment the senate operates through some bullshit decorum stuff, so you're expected to do as was done. All did the same for Ted Kennedy.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Not happy he applauded. But Bernie is still bae

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/senate-parliamentarian-says-more-bcra-provisions-would-require-60-votes/

call to action
Jun 10, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
If this bill is going to pass now, it had better do it, and decrease the surplus population

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

WampaLord posted:

So Bernie Sanders too?

yep. he's being primaried already too

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Liberal: *glazes over Pelosi calling people in desperate need of healthcare "spurned consumers"* Bernie clapped, checkmate bros :smuggo:

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Matt Zerella posted:

Liberal: *glazes over Pelosi calling people in desperate need of healthcare "spurned consumers"* Bernie clapped, checkmate bros :smuggo:

I'm not a centrist, you all are flipping out over the minorest of decorum.

Condiv
May 7, 2008

With love,
a mod

now, i'm not particularly upset that bernie's primary opponent is entirely worthless cause bernie's still a way better dem than most everyone, but everyone who was nice to mccain today deserves to be primaried

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

WampaLord posted:

I'm not a centrist, you all are flipping out over the minorest of decorum.

It must really suck to walk around with a sneeze caught in your nose all the time. You're almost there my dude!

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Matt Zerella posted:

you're almost there buddy, you can do it!

Matt Zerella posted:

It must really suck to walk around with a sneeze caught in your nose all the time. You're almost there my dude!

I honestly don't know what you're trying to get me to say/do here, want to stop being coy?

Condiv
May 7, 2008

With love,
a mod

could we all just chill? there are gonna be people who think we should be nice about mccain's brain cancer, yelling at them won't get them to call for his death

likewise, there are people who think he deserves what he's getting, and you're not gonna get them to stop being happy he's dying by yelling at them. let's live and let each other live with mccain's impending death in our own ways

feel free to yell at politicians all you like in either direction tho

NewForumSoftware
Oct 8, 2016

by Lowtax

WampaLord posted:

So Bernie Sanders too?

I would unironically be ok with Bernie Sanders being primaried by a more leftist dem

As it would clear him up to take his seat as the Democratic party's candidate for the 2020 general election

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

WampaLord posted:

I honestly don't know what you're trying to get me to say/do here, want to stop being coy?

I honestly don't know if you're being dense or don't really read what you're writing or if you're just cherry picking what you reply to.

You claim you're not a centrist. You're the one claiming decorum matters. We are saying Trump and Republicans have shown that decorum means jack loving poo poo.

Perfect example: After the republicans killed the judiciary filibuster and jammed Gorsuch through, what did Schumer and co say they'd do if they ever get back to power? They'd restore it! Not be obstructionist, and jam their nominee through if they get the chance. They'll restore the filibuster. Because that's part of the decorum and Sorkinesqe respect for the hallowed halls of govt and democracy.

Decorum doesn't mean a goddamn thing and democrats cling to it instead of wielding power when they have it.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Matt Zerella posted:

I honestly don't know if you're being dense or don't really read what you're writing or if you're just cherry picking what you reply to.

You claim you're not a centrist. You're the one claiming decorum matters. We are saying Trump and Republicans have shown that decorum means jack loving poo poo.

Perfect example: After the republicans killed the judiciary filibuster and jammed for such through, what did Schumer and co say they'd do if they ever get back to power? They'd restore it! Not be obstructionist, and jam their nominee through if they get the chance. They'll restore the filibuster. Because that's part of the decorum and Sorkinesqe respect for the hallowed halls of govt and democracy.

Decorum doesn't mean a goddamn thing and democrats cling to it instead of wielding power when they have it.

I'm not arguing for the concept of decorum in general, all of this poo poo started because the thread freaked out over me defending this one particular thing. All I said is "this is normal" and people threw a loving fit!

I'm not defending that Schumer thing, that's idiotic as gently caress.

NewForumSoftware
Oct 8, 2016

by Lowtax

WampaLord posted:

I'm not arguing for the concept of decorum in general, all of this poo poo started because the thread freaked out over me defending this one particular thing. All I said is "this is normal" and people threw a loving fit!

Actually no most people just thought you were stupid for saying things like "if anyone didn't stand and clap they would be lose their seat"

Nosfereefer
Jun 15, 2011

IF YOU FIND THIS POSTER OUTSIDE BYOB, PLEASE RETURN THEM. WE ARE VERY WORRIED AND WE MISS THEM
Did McCain die yet? Because that would be a Good Thing, considering him being a horrible ghoul.
[edit] also shut the gently caress up about decorum, americans voted for ronald loving reagan in the 80's for two loving terms. there are no standards for american politics.

Nosfereefer fucked around with this message at 02:24 on Jul 26, 2017

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

WampaLord posted:

Then we agree on something RE: Schumer

But people are going to die from this. A lot of people. It's upsetting as hell and maybe defending the action of clapping for a smoothbrained (well, I guess his brain is lumpy now) hypocrite like McCain is not a great hill to die on.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Matt Zerella posted:

Then we agree on something RE: Schumer

But people are going to die from this. A lot of people. It's upsetting as hell and maybe defending the action of clapping for a smoothbrained (well, I guess his brain is lumpy now) hypocrite like McCain is not a great hill to die on.

I know. I'm well aware. I personally wished that the plane trip had popped his brain.

The Dems did the most they could to avoid this. They voted, and they are currently doing a lot of procedural tricks to delay this thing even more. The clapping was inconsequential.

I'm not defending all Dems by saying this for every action, but in this one case, they are doing the right thing.

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe
I'm ok with the Democrats not being a dick to the old man with cancer. Controversial, I know.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

readingatwork posted:

I'm ok with the Democrats not being a dick to the old man with cancer. Controversial, I know.

Cancer, that invincible shield against criticizing a callous rich man saying, "gently caress you, I've got mine," to twenty-three million people... :allears:

twodot
Aug 7, 2005

You are objectively correct that this person is dumb and has said dumb things

readingatwork posted:

So when you enter a room, and no one claps for you, do you call everyone dicks and storm out or what?

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe

twodot posted:

So when you enter a room, and no one claps for you, do you call everyone dicks and storm out or what?

Only if they're not clapping for me because they're happy I have cancer.

Mister Facetious posted:

Cancer, that invincible shield against criticizing a callous rich man saying, "gently caress you, I've got mine," to twenty-three million people... :allears:

This is such a weird hill to die on. I mean, don't get me wrong if they chose to not clap as a way of giving him the finger I'd be down with it but I'm not going to take their applause for a dying colleague as a sign that they're terrible people (we have their voting records for that).

twodot
Aug 7, 2005

You are objectively correct that this person is dumb and has said dumb things

readingatwork posted:

Only if they're not clapping for me because they're happy I have cancer.
What if they're not clapping because they're hostile towards your presence, because they know you are, in the near future, going to be voting to impoverish and condemn to death millions of Americans?
edit:
To be clear, I'm opposed to anyone applauding a Republican showing up to vote for Republican policies, regardless of whether that person has cancer or not.

twodot fucked around with this message at 03:36 on Jul 26, 2017

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Ask me about Briar Rose and Chicken Chaser.
I'm as sick of West Wing civility worship as anyone, but the way you're going after WampaLord as its representative is ridiculous. He's not a Bad Dem, and there's real ones in this forum (and other places) you could turn your energy toward.

spacejung
Feb 8, 2004
Just got off a long phone call with my parents, if this goes through we might go broke trying to support our sick family members, and then they'll die at the end anyway, so... hey, no one was insinuating that it was OK not to clap for John McCain during the last few pages, were they? Wow NOT cool guys,

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

readingatwork posted:

This is such a weird hill to die on. I mean, don't get me wrong if they chose to not clap as a way of giving him the finger I'd be down with it but I'm not going to take their applause for a dying colleague as a sign that they're terrible people (we have their voting records for that).

p sure 23 million corpses qualifies as a mountain

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

^ lol if you think he considers them people

spacejung posted:

Just got off a long phone call with my parents, if this goes through we might go broke trying to support our sick family members, and then they'll die at the end anyway, so... hey, no one was insinuating that it was OK not to clap for John McCain during the last few pages, were they? Wow NOT cool guys,

Sorry, but your family members' lives need to take a back seat to ~* civility *~ :colbert:
After all, he's dying of cancer! Show some respect!

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

John McCain walks up to a cage on the senate floor with a young child inside. He enters the cage with the child and stabs him in the heart. The room erupts into applause at his bravery for traveling all the way to the capitol in order to commit this deed.

NPR: "Senator John McCain had surgery to remove a malignant brain tumor just 10 days ago. And today he made a dramatic return to the U.S. Senate to fulfill his vital role as the executioner for today's ceremony. It was an emotional moment as he entered the chamber where he has served since 1987."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008
don't know why people are asking if x is a Bad Dem or not, since the only Good Dem is a Dead Dem

• Locked thread