Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

Z. Autobahn posted:

I actually think we're past that point; the Republicans care so much about saying "We repealed Obamacare", they'll actually pass a bill that gives them *nothing they even want*, just to say they did it.

Repealing the mandates would be a cool symbolic thing for them to do since they're unpopular (for reasons that Republicans don't understand and are unwilling to actually address, of course) except for the part where they destroy the non-group market in the process.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Democrazy posted:

Even the kid wants Trump to release his taxes

"How much muney did u make? Seein that ur in this progressiv tax braket, what did u pay in taxes?"

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

lol that the prez is trolled so easy he resorts to the puppetmaster defense.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

https://twitter.com/Alexruoff/status/890322112015159298

nevada please make sure he gets thrown out on his rear end

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

a rich, friable soil containing a relatively equal mixture of sand and silt and a somewhat smaller proportion of clay.

evilweasel posted:

It's so important that I will vote to cut it. gently caress Dean Heller.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Dems need to vote on everything and stretch this out for a year.

Floor a motion if people want turkey or ham subs

Vote to see if Senator Johnson can go to the bathroom

Duke Igthorn
Oct 11, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

DreamShipWrecked posted:

They voted to move the healthcare bill forward while people screamed "shame" at them from the rafters, another CNN spotlight isn't going to change their minds.

Seriously. They had to stop procedures because people were begging to be allowed to live and they STILL moved forward. I'm sure THIS shame will be the shame that stops them.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.

Heck Yes! Loam! posted:

It's so important that I will vote to cut it. gently caress Dean Heller.

He actually isn't since the Skinny Repeal that he supports doesn't touch Medicaid.

He's still bought off trash though.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Democrazy posted:

Even the kid wants Trump to release his taxes

Has anyone pointed out how his son tweeted out the emails, but Trump still won't release his taxes?

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

Flip Yr Wig posted:

That would be Ben Shapiro. Here's a video that I found on Google and am unable to review for any gross trans-phobia (beyond the original panel).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YgQy70_LPS4

Several pages back but this loving rules and thanks for digging it up lmao.

FourLeaf
Dec 2, 2011

evilweasel posted:

people need to read that politico article, trump has massively hosed up yet again

basically, the House had a problem with their military budget bill: conservatives wouldn't vote for the bill unless it stripped funding for sexual reassignment surgeries, while moderates refused to agree to discriminate against trans people, and they couldn't pass it with moderates + democrats because democrats won't vote for it with funding for The Wall. so, they can't fund the military at all unless they give up the wall. that is...embarrassing.

so Ryan hit on an idea: get Trump to issue an order saying the military won't pay for sexual reassignment surgeries, and the House no longer needs to include it in the legislation at all, it's no longer their problem

so he asked Trump, and Trump appears to have basically misinterpreted what was being asked for and banned all trans people entirely which was not at all what Ryan wanted

and now, even Republicans are like "uh this is a little too segregationey even for me guys" and i bet that bill now gets trapped in a debate over if it should overturn that executive order or not instead of a much quieter funding battle

That kind of stupidity might be the only thing that saves us.

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

a rich, friable soil containing a relatively equal mixture of sand and silt and a somewhat smaller proportion of clay.

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

He actually isn't since the Skinny Repeal that he supports doesn't touch Medicaid.

He's still bought off trash though.

I'll believe it when I see it.

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

Is Dylan the him name hopkin green frog kid because the writing looks similar

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.

Heck Yes! Loam! posted:

I'll believe it when I see it.

He already voted No on the plans that gutted Medicaid sooooo

Like, I don't mean to defend him because he's going to be an issue with the Skinny Repeal but at least he's not going full evil.

Zeeman
May 8, 2007

Say WHAT?! You KNOW that post is wack, homie!

evilweasel posted:

Would love to see Rand vote against this just out of spite

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

i am harry posted:

Another 4d chess move!!

I know the Democratic Party is incompetent beyond belief, but even they can probably find some way to put a positive spin on opposing a bill that will make insurance more expensive for everyone who isn't one of the ~35 million that will lose coverage entirely. Right?? :ohdear:

:sigh:

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

https://twitter.com/BenjySarlin/status/890324804175376385

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
FEEL FREE TO DISREGARD THIS POST

It is guaranteed to be lazy, ignorant, and/or uninformed.

evilweasel posted:

people need to read that politico article, trump has massively hosed up yet again

basically, the House had a problem with their military budget bill: conservatives wouldn't vote for the bill unless it stripped funding for sexual reassignment surgeries, while moderates refused to agree to discriminate against trans people, and they couldn't pass it with moderates + democrats because democrats won't vote for it with funding for The Wall. so, they can't fund the military at all unless they give up the wall. that is...embarrassing.

so Ryan hit on an idea: get Trump to issue an order saying the military won't pay for sexual reassignment surgeries, and the House no longer needs to include it in the legislation at all, it's no longer their problem

so he asked Trump, and Trump appears to have basically misinterpreted what was being asked for and banned all trans people entirely which was not at all what Ryan wanted

and now, even Republicans are like "uh this is a little too segregationey even for me guys" and i bet that bill now gets trapped in a debate over if it should overturn that executive order or not instead of a much quieter funding battle

Do you have a link to the article? I am not seeing on Politico.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

He already voted No on the plans that gutted Medicaid sooooo

Like, I don't mean to defend him because he's going to be an issue with the Skinny Repeal but at least he's not going full evil.

he has been setting himself up to vote for anything he can characterize as an improvement over bcra from the conference committee

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Hollismason posted:

Do you have a link to the article? I am not seeing on Politico.

http://www.politico.com/story/2017/07/26/trump-transgender-military-ban-behind-the-scenes-240990

Zeeman
May 8, 2007

:laffo:

marshmonkey
Dec 5, 2003

I was sick of looking
at your stupid avatar
so
have a cool cat instead.

:v:
Switchblade Switcharoo
https://twitter.com/kylegriffin1/status/890293544841342978

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

evilweasel posted:

he has been setting himself up to vote for anything he can characterize as an improvement over bcra from the conference committee

Exactly. By the end of this process there will be a bill that significantly cuts medicaid. Heller will end up voting for it.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Evil Fluffy posted:

I know the Democratic Party is incompetent beyond belief, but even they can probably find some way to put a positive spin on opposing a bill that will make insurance more expensive for everyone who isn't one of the ~35 million that will lose coverage entirely. Right?? :ohdear:

that quote is re: trans ban

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

REMIND ME AGAIN HOW THE LITTLE HORSE-SHAPED ONES MOVE?

Evil Fluffy posted:

Review the context, that statement is about banning trans people from the military. Which is easy enough to counter with a "let anyone who wants to serve their country, do so :911:". And even that is meant (by someone, though not I suspect Trump himself) to distract from healthcare, where the GOP knows they're hosed.

farraday
Jan 10, 2007

Lower those eyebrows, young man. And the other one.

https://youtu.be/lKPZDq9IQIU

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen
https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/890260758050856961

Yup, he's trying to pander to the base after getting some backlash from them over the Sessions stuff.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Quorum posted:

Review the context, that statement is about banning trans people from the military. Which is easy enough to counter with a "let anyone who wants to serve their country, do so :911:". And even that is meant (by someone, though not I suspect Trump himself) to distract from healthcare, where the GOP knows they're hosed.

Issue is that trans people are still considered icky by a lot of so-called progressives who are cool with minorities as long as they act as they are supposed to. So don't count on that much support from the Dems other than out of sheer Trump hate

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Is that everything you have?

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

You're trying to use logical thinking to explain this like it makes sense

Stop and imagine that you are thirty thousand people who listen to Fox, Rush, and Hannity all day long, and all of you are shrieking

The Republican Congress is trying to do something to silence your screams, that's all

Since.this is SA, if it helps, just imagine that the Republican Congress is trying to placate Slaanesh so it goes back to sleep

I'm not a big wargamer. Would it be acceptable if I viewed this as the Technocracy leveling a chunk of Bangladesh with neutron bombs and orbital sun-mirrors in an attempt to put down the antediluvian vampire Zapathasura during the Week of Nightmares?

While you're answering that, I'll go find a locker to shove myself into.

Thaddius the Large
Jul 5, 2006

It's in the five-hole!

Jeff Merkley is a mostly cool and good guy that I'm glad to have as my senator. Cherry on top, his staff not only answers phone calls more often than not, but they actually return messages (sometimes) and emails, and one of them wasn't even a form letter but a real written response.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

actually that heller thing isn't exactly making it easier to support the new bill:

https://www.budget.senate.gov/imo/media/doc/288.pdf

it's less "medicaid generically good" and more "medicaid expansion good"

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

evilweasel posted:

that quote is re: trans ban

My mistake. Too much awful poo poo comes from this administration to keep track of it all.

Sadly I think there are Dems who can definitely gently caress up a "support are troops" message.

Your Taint posted:

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/890260758050856961

Yup, he's trying to pander to the base after getting some backlash from them over the Sessions stuff.

I'd say this is a rather anti-1A thing when it's coming from the POTUS but I know too many conservatives who fully believe:
FIRST AMENDMENT IS FREEDOM OF RELIGION NOT FREEDOM FROM RELIGION!!!!11!1!1 :bahgawd:

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Hey guys I did some analysis

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

Note that both US and ...I think it was ... Italy? Have been trying to get him extradited from Austria for a while now, unrelated to this.

Same Great Paste
Jan 14, 2006

No matter how many times I see it, my brain just cannot accept that vote-a-rama is an actual real grown up political term.

Zeeman
May 8, 2007

evilweasel posted:

actually that heller thing isn't exactly making it easier to support the new bill:

https://www.budget.senate.gov/imo/media/doc/288.pdf

it's less "medicaid generically good" and more "medicaid expansion good"

It's weird that he refers to it as Obamacare in a real legal document

e: Based on the language, there are like 5 senators that will vote for it

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

why the gently caress did he use the camera emoji

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Zeeman posted:

It's weird that he refers to it as Obamacare in a real legal document

a "sense of the senate" is not so much a legal document as it is a written speech people voted on if they agree with

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

evilweasel posted:

a "sense of the senate" is not so much a legal document as it is a written speech people voted on if they agree with

lol why does this even exist as a thing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

dont even fink about it posted:

lol why does this even exist as a thing

Decorum, I think.

• Locked thread