Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender
This is why every crazy neighbor legaladvice post has people screaming DO NOT IGNORE A LAWSUIT IF THEY FILE ONE. Apparently it's hard to believe that bad things happen if you don't show up in court, even against a crazy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Haifisch posted:

This is why every crazy neighbor legaladvice post has people screaming DO NOT IGNORE A LAWSUIT IF THEY FILE ONE. Apparently it's hard to believe that bad things happen if you don't show up in court, even against a crazy.

the issue is that sovcits like to "file suits" that dont actually exist

to not play devil's advocate for a minute, their suits also look like the insane ramblings of a crazy person and not like a summons

Ham Sandwiches
Jul 7, 2000

If you get served then you have to respond to it, no matter how credible you find the claims the place to dispute them is in court, not by refusing to go to court.

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

Ham Sandwiches posted:

If you get served then you have to respond to what you were served with, no matter how credible you find the claims the place to dispute them is in court, not by refusing to go to court.

You can always call and validate with the court that this is a real summons too, so if you're worried about day off work/whatever for no reason, call and validate.

lovely situation, crazy person etc etc, but yeah don't ignore court poo poo. I have a co-worker that did that, ended up spending a fair amount of time in jail for stupid poo poo, but he was a kid. I also ignored a court thing as a stupid kid and ended up getting the biggest fine possible for the horrible crime of underage drinking.

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

Haifisch posted:

Most people have no loving idea what proper court documents and process look like or any idea how to even find out what they look like, they'll uncritically accept anything if it's presented with enough gravitas and brush it off as probably bullshit if it's coming from someone they think is full of poo poo. It's a huge by-design impenetrable thicket of jargon and conventions from back when dudes wore wigs and tights that you need to pay thousands of dollars to even get halfway respectable advice about. Unless you're routinely directly exposed to it it's easy to assume it looks like what you see on NCIS or whatever and then the actual law rolls over on you and what the gently caress is a writ of replevin

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Here's my relationship post my girlfriend says I can't buy JNCOS and I say that's bullshit

But Rocks Hurt Head
Jun 30, 2003

by Hand Knit
Pillbug
I don't think anyone itt disagrees that the guy hosed up, and how he hosed up, by not answering the lawsuit. No one is defending him. But we should be willing to defend him if he prints out a copy of Hamilton's Federalist # 15, staples it to the neighbor's forehead, and then lights it on fire

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender
My (25f) coworker (24m) no longer wants to be friends and is threatening me and demanding I pay him back for Christmas gifts

quote:

Hi everyone. Sorry if this is a bit long, I'm lost on how to proceed with this situation, I'd really love your insight .. I have worked at my job for about 6 months in an office above the warehouse for a large company. Not sure if this is relevant, but everyone in my office is older, ranging from 40-60+

I had been battling with an abusive ex boyfriend after breaking things off prior to working there, which I confided in one of the office ladies about (60f). She asked me one day if there was anyone in the warehouse I thought was cute or would consider dating, and I named John. She tracked him and got him number for me (without me asking). Her husband had worked very closely with John before retiring.

We end up texting, hanging out and kissed. I met with him later that week to explain I wasn't interested in dating and I needed to step back from whatever this was as my ex was still bothering me. We decided to be just friends.

He asked if I'd like to do a Christmas gift exchange and I agreed, but only if we set up a price limit, which he said no don't worry about price. I figured $50 maximum! During that time I asked him to glance into a store window on his way home from work for a Himalayan Salt Lamp because I was pretty sure I had spotted them at that store. My plan was to wait to hear if they had them and drive out there to buy one for myself. I don't hear from him. He buys me a lamp for $45. I was bummed because I really wanted to pick my own out. I thanked him for it and told him I'd keep it as my Christmas gift. He said no it was a nice gesture from him.

He then bought me a $70 sweater online and got my name printed on the back of a hockey jersey as my Christmas gifts. So now I'm feeling like this has gotten out of hand. I barely know this guy and he's spending so much on gifts for me and I feel obligated to match the price on my gifts back. He tells me he'd also like a salt lamp $50 and a Blue Jays jersey $120

While all of this gift madness was going on, we had made plans to hang out after work one day. I started feeling sick and left work 3 hours early. He called me that night and told me he was coming to drop the lamp off for me, I tried to tell him no as I was sick, but he insisted. Literally would not take no for an answer. He invited me to his house last Saturday to watch his dad play music, but I had already made plans for a friend's bday. Then Friday comes along and we have plans to go for dinner. I get a call from my brother crying saying his girlfriend of 4 years broke up with him because she found out she can't have kids. I cancel plans with Johns to spend the night with my brother.

John tells me he's done trying to hang out with me because things keep coming up when we have plans aka me being sick and having prior commitments... I tell him I'm sorry and that if he doesn't want to be friends then I'll have to respect that. He gets upset that I'm preoccupied helping my brother and asks for the lamp back, then tells me to "actually keep the stupid lamp".. losing it over text.

Anyways... last night I miss his call. I text him "busy what's up" and he then tells me we need to talk. I respond saying there's nothing really left to say, and that I'd bring the lamp back on Monday.

John: "if you bring any tension or drama to work I will expose you, Your hoodie for Xmas just got processed so it's non-refundable now. There's a jersey I can't take back either. Could you get me a salt bowl and an Aaron Sanchez jersey like you promised?"

Me: "John I'm trying to be nice and civil. Sorry it's gotten to this point. You asked me for the lamp back and I'm going to respect that and bring it on Monday."

John: "What the hell do I do with your other gifts I can not refund tho? Can you get me those things to offset it or pay me 160$ please?"

Guys... I barely know this person. I don't know what threatening to "expose" me even means. I looked up the return policy for the hoodie's website and he can request a return as it hasn't even shipped yet. I think giving the lamp back is enough because he can return the sweater or regift it to one of his female friends? He's the one who said he's done trying to be my friend.... what the hell do I do?

tl;dr my coworker got upset because I cancelled plans, told me to friends off, wants his gift back and for me to pay him for the Christmas gifts he got me

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
THEY'RE JUST BIG COMFY JEANS EMILY YOU FUCKIN SLUT

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
disclaimer her name isnt really emily

Propaganda Hour
Aug 25, 2008

after editing wikipedia as a joke for 16 years, i ve convinced myself that homer simpson's japanese name translates to the "The beer goblin"
My girlfriend bought $300 worth of JNCOs with rent money that she said we're for us.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Propaganda Hour posted:

My girlfriend bought $300 worth of JNCOs with rent money that she said we're for us.

trade girlfriends with me

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

Nobody here is saying it's ok to get jncos

putrid aidsman
Apr 13, 2017

by Lowtax
I was curious how much a new pair of JNCOs costs

These can be yours for $99.90

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves

putrid aidsman posted:

I was curious how much a new pair of JNCOs costs

These can be yours for $99.90

Wow they're selling them at cost now

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer
I had a case in bumfuck central Texas where a guy (who lived 50 miles away) was renting a house to some tenants, who eventually got tired of paying rent and decided, "Hey, here's a good idea: lets sue our landlord, claiming we own the house and that HE owes us rent!"

He never showed up because they served his papers by posting it to the door of the house he owned; the one THEY were living in. $10,000.00 judgment against him. It eventually got thrown out b/c defect in notice is grounds for throwing out a default judgment.

But, not before they filed bankruptcy in Mississippi, and listed the house as an asset (didn't tell him, or serve him), got a court order to liquidate, and then 'sold' the house themselves (no realtor) to this other family, and absconded with the down payment. My guy only finds out about all this because he drives down to do some repairs, and walks in on a family of people he'd never seen before.

Cough Drop The Beat
Jan 22, 2012

by Lowtax

A Wizard of Goatse posted:

Can this be real? My neighbor has a court order to steal my dog?!

This is probably the saddest story ever posted to this thread. Poor dog murdered by an evil rear end in a top hat after his irresponsible owner ignored a court summons. :smith:

I hope dude annihilates dog murderer in court and takes all his money, even if he's a total idiot.

Cough Drop The Beat fucked around with this message at 23:03 on Jul 26, 2017

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

Danaru posted:

Is my friend [26/M] OBVIOUSLY saying he's into me [28/F]? Am I an idiot????

If you're confused about this post you can just ask her. Pick is always around

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

fruit on the bottom posted:

If you're confused about this post you can just ask her. Pick is always around

If she posted it, she would have dumped that screed into the comments of someone else's post

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost

blarzgh posted:

I had a case in bumfuck central Texas where a guy (who lived 50 miles away) was renting a house to some tenants, who eventually got tired of paying rent and decided, "Hey, here's a good idea: lets sue our landlord, claiming we own the house and that HE owes us rent!"

He never showed up because they served his papers by posting it to the door of the house he owned; the one THEY were living in. $10,000.00 judgment against him. It eventually got thrown out b/c defect in notice is grounds for throwing out a default judgment.

But, not before they filed bankruptcy in Mississippi, and listed the house as an asset (didn't tell him, or serve him), got a court order to liquidate, and then 'sold' the house themselves (no realtor) to this other family, and absconded with the down payment. My guy only finds out about all this because he drives down to do some repairs, and walks in on a family of people he'd never seen before.

One of the biggest regrets of my life was not appealing on these grounds after getting my wages garnished

They served the subpoena to my girlfriend's dad. I hadn't lived there in like two goddamn years.

I was too much of a goony loving idiot to do the obvious thing, no, I just sucked it up and let them take my money for half a year. It was a legitimate debt (I'd argue that the $1200 in late fees they tacked on wasn't but lol :shrug:) but jesus christ I didn't even know it was going to court!

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

blarzgh posted:

I assume the guy got his house back?

TheKennedys
Sep 23, 2006

By my hand, I will take you from this godforsaken internet

BENGHAZI 2 posted:

i lost the bookmark of like THe Landmark SovCit Brief from canada, a brief so thorough and so good that it is cited in like every other case involving them, about how to identify and deal with a sovcit

its a fun read because like every third line the judge is like "this, obivously. was not how it worked"

Was it this one? https://www.canlii.org/en/ab/abqb/doc/2012/2012abqb571/2012abqb571.html

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost

Intruder posted:

I assume the guy got his house back?

It seems like it'd be hard to actually evict that family given the circumstances

Like I'm sure he could have and probably did, but I can't imagine it was easy unless they just packed up and moved out

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Mirthless posted:

It seems like it'd be hard to actually evict that family given the circumstances

Like I'm sure he could have and probably did, but I can't imagine it was easy unless they just packed up and moved out

If I steal a car and sell it to you, it's not your car even if you never get your money back I'm pretty sure

Then again this was the state liquidating so maybe that works differently

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
Me [33 M] with my wife [30 F] of 5 years, said something really horrible to her and now I'm terrified for my marriage.

quote:

So my wife and I keep having problems with the fact that I am not making her feeling wanted sexually enough. We've been together 5 years and it's something that's been a problem. I'll do better for awhile, maybe for a couple of months and then I'll slide back I guess and she starts feeling unwanted and like a sex toy. We had another fight about it, which started after she started wanting to get get intimate and was holding me close and kissing me after we both got home from work. I'd picked our son up from daycare who is 3 and a half and told him I'd take him to the park after we went home and I changed out of my work clothes. So I was distracted. And I was still kind of tired from what felt like a weekend full of being in bed together, while our son watched TV. Which doesn't happen often.

Anyways, I got our son in front of the TV again and then we went upstairs and started fooling around until she realized something was up, like I wasn't giving her my full attention. And we started arguing about how she wasn't feeling wanted again, and she was feeling so alone, which she's never mentioned before. We arguing for half an hour or so before our son started crying about how we weren't going to the park. My wife had to push me out the door basically and my son and I went to the park for an hour or so and then I got him a Happy Meal afterwards and he went to bed really late for him.

Then we started arguing again and she asked a question I wasn't ready for 'Are you embarrassed by my weight.' She's beyond 300 pounds and is constantly fighting her eating disorder. I mumbled something and she yelled something at me and I said 'maybe'. Then I tried to backtrack and say how I'm scared of her dying early and not being able to live a long life with her. Though it may not have sounded like that.

I ended up journaling for an hour until about midnight about things I remember from our life together. It was the only thing to calm myself down after the sobbing I started. I actually was really pleased with what I had, and thought it was pretty decent. I left it under her hand on the couch downstairs and went to bed. She didn't say much to me beyond reminding me to tell the daycare provider that it was our son's last day there before he was due to start preschool next week. I've been barely getting through work today, and she's been at work too. Not texting me like usual. I miss her so much today. I don't want to lose her. I don't know what to do. I know I have to make her feel wanted and beautiful and sexy and all of that. I just don't know how I can wait for her to stop being mad at me.

tl;dr: I answered my wife's question of 'are you embarrassed by my weight', who is morbidly obese and suffers from Bipolar and a over eating disorder, 'maybe'. What do I do now?

First of all why would you ask
Second of all why would you answer

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost

Intruder posted:

If I steal a car and sell it to you, it's not your car even if you never get your money back I'm pretty sure

Then again this was the state liquidating so maybe that works differently

Yeah but you don't depend on a car for shelter. This is a squat situation, there are laws in place around inhabiting dwellings you do not own.

There are people who have come home from a week-long vacation, found a whole family living in their house, and spent months trying to evict them since one of them had some bills with the address on it in their name.

If they've been there a while and the neighbors know them it's going to be a whole process to remove them.

Ham Sandwiches
Jul 7, 2000

Danaru posted:

Me [33 M] with my wife [30 F] of 5 years, said something really horrible to her and now I'm terrified for my marriage.

First of all why would you ask
Second of all why would you answer

How long do you think he can ignore the elephant :rimshot: in the room?

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

blarzgh posted:

lol now that's moxie

Sorryformybadjokes
Apr 21, 2004

I identify as a simian who pronounces the 'silent' letters in words.
Fallen Rib
If she was fat when they met he has no leg to stand on (and neither will she after the diabeetus kicks in)

if she was trim and slim and ballooned up, he can call her out (BUT, only if he himself is not also a balloon man)

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender
My [22 F] boyfriend [23 M] keeps having seizures and my mother [39 F] wants me to dump him.

quote:

I love my boyfriend. He's my best pal. He suffers from epilepsy, and has multiple seizures a week. I've learned to deal with them; It doesn't scare me anymore.

Recently, he had a seizure at my mother's house and kicked over a table, breaking my mother's antique lamp. She doesn't want me to be with him. She doesn't want to risk us having epileptic kids.

I tried to argue with her on this, but she just shut me down with her secret weapon. (My dad killed himself before I was born, and, when angry at me, she tells me that it was all my fault.)

I don't want to dump my boyfriend; He's great. But I have no idea how to handle my mother.

tl;dr: Bf has seizures, Mom wants him gone or she leaves.

EDIT: I realize now that the throwaway name I picked sounds like I'm blaming my bf for the situation. That wasn't my intent; It was just a description of what's going on.
:murder:

Ham Sandwiches
Jul 7, 2000

Jeff Sichoe posted:

If she was fat when they met he has no leg to stand on (and neither will she after the diabeetus kicks in)

if she was trim and slim and ballooned up, he can call her out (BUT, only if he himself is not also a balloon man)

I think this holds in general but in this case, 300 lbs, yowza that's quite the wal mart vixen you have there

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

Haifisch posted:

My [22 F] boyfriend [23 M] keeps having seizures and my mother [39 F] wants me to dump him.

Wow this woman is awful (the mother) "YOU KILLED YOUR DAD WHILE YOU WERE IN MY WOMB" what a piece of poo poo.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender

MF_James posted:

Wow this woman is awful (the mother) "YOU KILLED YOUR DAD WHILE YOU WERE IN MY WOMB" what a piece of poo poo.

OP posted:

I'm afraid for my mother to turn on me because I'm the only one she has. She got pregnant with me in high school and it really ruined her life. By the time my dad killed himself ("to escape being your father" she says) it was too late to abort.
:thunk:

Ham Sandwiches
Jul 7, 2000

MF_James posted:

Some parents are really loving lovely!! Credit card fraud dad, sleeping on couch wedding night mom, the nomil stories, loving hell

If the person that gave birth to you is loving miserable prepare for some poo poo kiddo, and guess what, the odds aren't good lmao get hosed welcome to earth

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost

Haifisch posted:

MF_James posted:

a compelling argument for wider access to mental health care

jesus loving christ, :therapy:

edit: (please don't mistake this as sympathy, anyone in this thread)

I kind of wonder if this isn't gonna have a followup story in five or six years where we find out dad was never dead

Mirthless fucked around with this message at 23:36 on Jul 26, 2017

MF_James
May 8, 2008

Mirthless posted:

Bitch should have put her up for adoption instead of mentally loving her child every chance she gets.

Kullik
Jan 5, 2017

I grew up with a parent that it was obvious had no interest in being a parent, it sucks a lot.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

Mirthless posted:

I kind of wonder if this isn't gonna have a followup story in five or six years where we find out dad was never dead

This is actually crossed my mind. Maybe he peaced out because she was a garbage person back then and he didn't want to deal with it.

Ham Sandwiches
Jul 7, 2000

It's a little more likely that he committed suicide while she was pregnant or whatever and mom tells the kid it's because he didn't want to be a father, etc.

I don't think mom can both have the dad be completely made up and blame her daughter for his death to where it would have any impact, I suspect there's a real thing she's tormenting her daughter with her whole life

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MF_James
May 8, 2008

Ham Sandwiches posted:

It's a little more likely that he committed suicide while she was pregnant or whatever and mom tells the kid it's because he didn't want to be a father, etc.

I don't think mom can both have the dad be completely made up and blame her daughter for his death to where it would have any impact, I suspect there's a real thing she's tormenting her daughter with her whole life

I doubt she was immaculately conceived, so yeah, the dad was A Real Person at one point.