Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Seaniqua
Mar 12, 2004

"We'll see how the first year goes. But people better get us now, because we're going to keep getting better and better."

General Dog posted:

I'd say go with Yahoo. Not sure you can do custom pick sets, but the default set is usually pretty strong if you don't mind the additional time investment of making about 20 picks per week.

The week to week team features are pretty robust, it shows who picked who for each game like, etc.

I think I probably will go with Yahoo, until I can get a good luck at ESPN's tool. Right now it's under maintenance.

As an aside, I'm going to start writing my own pick 'em website. If it's like my other passion projects, I'll probably give up within a couple weeks. If not, I might try to use it next year.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

If Mark Richt would have fully embraced Evil Richt instead of Saint Richt, I think he would have been better off.

the mean lunch lady
Jun 24, 2009

went mad at sea
lots were drawn
Kroenke didn't survive
he was delicious

D.N. Nation posted:

Because I'm a terrible college football fan, I would email Al every week after that Sugar Bowl for about half a year telling him how my watch party sucked because the opponent was so terrible, but never received a response. And I never will, seeing how he's dead.

Hahaha, this rules

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe

FizFashizzle posted:

Georgia was probably the second or third best team in the country that year.

the UGA Hawaii game should have been stopped after the first quarter.

That game was loving ridiculous.

Who did Georgia lose to that year to keep them out of the SEC title game?

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

tactlessbastard posted:

That game was loving ridiculous.

Who did Georgia lose to that year to keep them out of the SEC title game?

Tennessee and South Carolina

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

Um, so I've ignored all the Last Chance U hype for awhile.

I succumbed this morning and I am now hooked.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Seaniqua posted:

As an aside, I'm going to start writing my own pick 'em website. If it's like my other passion projects, I'll probably give up within a couple weeks. If not, I might try to use it next year.

If you're actually seriously thinking about doing this you should collaborate with whoever took over the https://saseliminator.com/ site. I know a few goons were going to keep it running at least.

I've wanted college football stuff on there for years.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

LeeMajors posted:

Um, so I've ignored all the Last Chance U hype for awhile.

I succumbed this morning and I am now hooked.

Last Chance U is really good. When you get around to season 2, you ought to leave your thoughts in the thread.

D.N. Nation
Feb 1, 2012

FizFashizzle posted:

Georgia was probably the second or third best team in the country that year.

Georgia consolation prize in 2007 is that they were tangentially a part of two of the best quotes of that season: Mike Gundy's I'M A MAN I'M 40 and Mike Patrick daydreaming about Britney Spears.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Please, Jesus... :pray:

http://www.chron.com/sports/aggies/article/Chancellor-John-Sharp-I-d-like-to-put-the-11438080.php?ipid=hpsportsctp

quote:

COLLEGE STATION – Texas A&M coach Kevin Sumlin and others have long referenced the Aggies’ rugged schedule in the Southeastern Conference, which has won eight of the last 11 national championships, when asked whether A&M might one day face old rival Texas in football again.

A&M chancellor John Sharp put it more colorfully to Texas Monthly in a long feature on Sharp in the August issue.

“The players just get the s--- beat out of them in those games because of the big SEC defenses,” Sharp told the magazine. “They need a full week to recover – some of them don’t even practice until Tuesday or Wednesday.”

Two years ago Sharp said concerning A&M vs. UT, which hasn’t played since 2011 as the Aggies exited the Big 12 for the SEC in 2012, “My sense is with the 12th Man – we've got new friends.”

The new friends being the likes of LSU, Alabama and Arkansas in SEC West competition. Sharp has appeared to soften a bit on that stance, like so many others of late concerning Aggies-Longhorns. Last week, new UT coach Tom Herman said he’d love for his program to play an annual non-conference contest against A&M.

Meanwhile Sharp told Texas Monthly, “I’d like to put the UT-A&M game back together. I know the governor (Greg Abbott) wants to put it back together. UT wants to put it back together. … Man, can you imagine how much money we could make off that game?”

I. M. Gei fucked around with this message at 21:15 on Jul 26, 2017

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

every year I pray to the college football gods for a year as messed up as 2007, and i think between this being the 10th anniversary and literally the entire rest of the world having gone batshit crazy we're in for a good year.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

crosspostin'

Mr. World
May 6, 2007
Working undercover for the man . . .

Insha'allah. The poo poo talking isn't nearly as fun when we don't play.

HannibalBarca
Sep 11, 2016

History shows, again and again, how nature points out the folly of man.

DJExile posted:

Tennessee and South Carolina

And of those, the South Carolina game was a close loss that we could have won at the end of the game if our offense hadn't been awful and anaemic (I was in the stands for it!).

The Tennessee game was a horrible nightmare where we got utterly curbstomped.

Dilber
Mar 27, 2007

TFLC
(Trophy Feline Lifting Crew)

DC Murderverse posted:

every year I pray to the college football gods for a year as messed up as 2007, and i think between this being the 10th anniversary and literally the entire rest of the world having gone batshit crazy we're in for a good year.

what would be totally crazy would be miami being back, so i'm in.

Seaniqua
Mar 12, 2004

"We'll see how the first year goes. But people better get us now, because we're going to keep getting better and better."

Grittybeard posted:

If you're actually seriously thinking about doing this you should collaborate with whoever took over the https://saseliminator.com/ site. I know a few goons were going to keep it running at least.

I've wanted college football stuff on there for years.

huh, I'm not sure I knew this existed. Looks cool. I actually already started writing my own for fun, even if nothing comes of it.

I tried to register for SASEliminator, but it didn't work. There was no "contact us" page or whatever, but I found the github project for SASEliminator and found someone with the same username on Twitter and tweeted at him. We'll see, I guess!

dphi
Jul 9, 2001

D.N. Nation posted:

Because I'm a terrible college football fan, I would email Al every week after that Sugar Bowl for about half a year telling him how my watch party sucked because the opponent was so terrible, but never received a response. And I never will, seeing how he's dead.

That was my last year as a Hawaii fan. I'd lived in Oregon for 5 years at that point but didn't know whether to root for UO or OSU so just stuck to my home team. But after that bowl game, June Jones leaving, and Chip turning OU into something just as fun to watch as the UH run and gun years - I knew which ship I was jumping to.

the mean lunch lady
Jun 24, 2009

went mad at sea
lots were drawn
Kroenke didn't survive
he was delicious

DC Murderverse posted:

I would be very happy if Mizzou had another year like 07 this year

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Surprised Texas and TAMU haven't ended up like UF and FSU way back in the day, where the Florida government let it be known it was in their best interest to start playing every year.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮

Randaconda posted:

Surprised Texas and TAMU haven't ended up like UF and FSU way back in the day, where the Florida government let it be known it was in their best interest to start playing every year.

The Texas government is too busy being loving awful to do anything sensible.

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?
These are so bad.

https://twitter.com/AndrewMLind/status/890204999099322368

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Seaniqua posted:

Hey TFF, we're less than a month from real loving football happening, which means you aren't sick of picking the games a week every week yet, and you're still be operating under the delusional thought that you'll actually make your picks, on time, every week this year, so...

:siren: Let's do a 2017 TFF College Pick 'Em!!!! :siren:

Last year we used Fox Sports College Pick 'Em, but apparently that's not an option this year.

:smith: :smith: :smith: :smith:

jk, fine with me... I vaguely remember there being some issues with the site last year, so let's find a new one. Has anyone had good experiences with other sites? Here's what I'd like to find:

1.) Custom set of games to pick each week. Fox Sports had a bunch of preselected sets of games, but they never quite matched what I thought TFF would enjoy the most. But they let you pick a 100% custom set, so I generally tried to pick two games from each power five conference, with preference on ranked games, or games that people in TFF had been discussing the most. Also, I want to keep the set of games at 10, because after that I think it gets to be a little too time consuming. Edit: It looks like this requirement excludes Yahoo, because you have to use one of their predefined sets.

2.) Ability to pick against the spread, without confidence points. I like doing against the spread instead of straight-up, it's more interesting and more challenging. But I personally think confidence points make the whole task feel more like work than fun.

3.) (ideally) The ability to see what everyone picked in a given week, and the results. Fox Sports actually had this feature. It generated a nice grid that showed everyone's picks, so it made it fun and easy to find who did the best and worst, who picked games correctly that no one else picked, etc. Unfortunately, our group got too big, and Fox Sports wouldn't generate that grid anymore. But you could click on individual users and see what their picks were. So, I wrote a Java program that actually skimmed the HTML of every user's individual picks and generated the same grid. This was a pain in the rear end, and I don't want to do it again. :)

Thanks everyone - who will dethrone General Dog?

(last year's results):

Did so badly that I got my own picture.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Also, I can forgive not being able to draw the Penn State logo because it is complicated. But some of those are dang letters.

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?

Sash! posted:

Also, I can forgive not being able to draw the Penn State logo because it is complicated. But some of those are dang letters.

And the one guy pretty much nailed the Iowa logo but holy poo poo the letter ones.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend

Randaconda posted:

The state government needs to stay out of the affairs of state universities and do their job, which is telling women what they can and can't do.

Edit: in retrospect "telling people where to go to the bathroom" would be the funnier punchline here

General Dog fucked around with this message at 22:59 on Jul 26, 2017

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

D.N. Nation posted:

Georgia consolation prize in 2007 is that they were tangentially a part of two of the best quotes of that season: Mike Gundy's I'M A MAN I'M 40 and Mike Patrick daydreaming about Britney Spears.

You can always figure out how old Gundy is from that speech

Bacon Taco
Jun 8, 2006

Now with extra narwhal meat!
HAIKOOLIGAN
Dinosaur Gum

Seaniqua posted:

Hey TFF, we're less than a month from real loving football happening, which means you aren't sick of picking the games a week every week yet, and you're still be operating under the delusional thought that you'll actually make your picks, on time, every week this year, so...

:siren: Let's do a 2017 TFF College Pick 'Em!!!! :siren:

Last year we used Fox Sports College Pick 'Em, but apparently that's not an option this year.

:smith: :smith: :smith: :smith:

jk, fine with me... I vaguely remember there being some issues with the site last year, so let's find a new one. Has anyone had good experiences with other sites? Here's what I'd like to find:

1.) Custom set of games to pick each week. Fox Sports had a bunch of preselected sets of games, but they never quite matched what I thought TFF would enjoy the most. But they let you pick a 100% custom set, so I generally tried to pick two games from each power five conference, with preference on ranked games, or games that people in TFF had been discussing the most. Also, I want to keep the set of games at 10, because after that I think it gets to be a little too time consuming. Edit: It looks like this requirement excludes Yahoo, because you have to use one of their predefined sets.

2.) Ability to pick against the spread, without confidence points. I like doing against the spread instead of straight-up, it's more interesting and more challenging. But I personally think confidence points make the whole task feel more like work than fun.

3.) (ideally) The ability to see what everyone picked in a given week, and the results. Fox Sports actually had this feature. It generated a nice grid that showed everyone's picks, so it made it fun and easy to find who did the best and worst, who picked games correctly that no one else picked, etc. Unfortunately, our group got too big, and Fox Sports wouldn't generate that grid anymore. But you could click on individual users and see what their picks were. So, I wrote a Java program that actually skimmed the HTML of every user's individual picks and generated the same grid. This was a pain in the rear end, and I don't want to do it again. :)

Thanks everyone - who will dethrone General Dog?

(last year's results):

How did I manage to score as high #15 in this? :iiam:

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

HannibalBarca posted:

And of those, the South Carolina game was a close loss that we could have won at the end of the game if our offense hadn't been awful and anaemic (I was in the stands for it!).

The Tennessee game was a horrible nightmare where we got utterly curbstomped.

The SCAR one happened really early too so I wasn't totally clear that it had really hosed them until at the end of the season when they went on a tear, SCAR fell apart, and everyone else kept loving up. That might have been Richt's best shot at a title.

WVU losing to Pitt was funny at the time but is such a bummer in hindsight. They were REALLY good and that offense with Pat White and Steve Slanton was fun as hell. Would have been nice to see them win a title. Guess they can settle for being the best video game team of all time

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend

Bacon Taco posted:

How did I manage to score as high #15 in this? :iiam:

If you remember to do your picks every week you're going to do pretty well

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

wandler20 posted:

And the one guy pretty much nailed the Iowa logo but holy poo poo the letter ones.

yeah well Matt Vandeberg had a lot of spare time last season so it is to be expected.

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

That nittany lion has seen some poo poo.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

wa27 posted:

Somebody buy that for Sash!.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

MourningView posted:

The SCAR one happened really early too so I wasn't totally clear that it had really hosed them until at the end of the season when they went on a tear, SCAR fell apart, and everyone else kept loving up. That might have been Richt's best shot at a title.

They were a few yards and one dumb play by a receiver from playing for one in 2012 that I'm fairly confident they would have won.

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

Much like with everything else in life, the Euros seem to have more sense on how to do things in a fun atmosphere without sucking the soul out of the event.

D.N. Nation posted:

One of my favorite VT fan stories is similar. The sports editor for the local paper in Roanoke (closest big city to Blacksburg) was a Duke alum named Bill Brill. Bill Brill hated VT with a fiery passion because he was an ACC elitist who saw the conference as better than VT. After the conference realignment was announced, Brill said the infamous phrase "VT will not win an ACC championship in my lifetime". VT proceeded to win the ACC in football in its first year in 2004 and VT fans responded by flooding his house with funeral flowers and cards for his wife on the passing of Brill. VT won a bunch of ACC titles those first few years in the conference and fans would doggedly call and mail Bill to remind him until he finally died years later.

whos that broooown
Dec 10, 2009

2024 Comeback Poster of the Year

wa27 posted:

Its pretty much the cat version of that 50s UConn logo.

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN

kittenmittons posted:

Its pretty much the cat version of that 50s UConn logo.

They should bring back this logo, as it's a fitting representation of UConn Football in 2017.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Benne posted:

They should bring back this logo, as it's a fitting representation of UConn Football in 2017.

Holy poo poo, that is amazing.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Randaconda posted:

Somebody buy that for Sash!.

If someone does, I'd like it to say Marcus Allen underneath thanks

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight

Holy gently caress how did I never realize how many loving logos in the B1G solely consist of a single letter?

Also holy gently caress how can you be so bad at writing a single block letter?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

gently caress yeah.

Also, lol A&M missed what would have been a 6-year winning streak against us.

• Locked thread