Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Calaveron posted:

What were all the spinoffs they were planning off of ASM2? The one I remember was an Aunt May which makes me wonder if they would've done old infirm widow Aunt May's Adventures or Aunt May as a Youngster With No Active Superheroes or Villains Aunt May

There was gonna be a Sinister 6 movie and a Black Cat movie. People complain about the Diana looking at Justice League movie files on her laptop scene in BvS, but ASM2 was 1000x worse about this poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

Detective No. 27 posted:

There was gonna be a Sinister 6 movie and a Black Cat movie. People complain about the Diana looking at Justice League movie files on her laptop scene in BvS, but ASM2 was 1000x worse about this poo poo.

I can't recall them setting any ground work for a Black Cat movie? Heck Homecoming flirted with the idea more with the platinum blonde girl in the background early on in the movie

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

None of those are happening now. Instead we well get a Venom vs Carnage movie starring Tom Hardy and a Black Cat/Silver Sable teamup movie. Both already have directors attached.

Snowman_McK posted:

How's he supposed to stab people with a raygun? Think these things through.

It's called a bayonet.

Alternatively, gunblade.

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Taking the term "Koopaling" to a whole new level since 2016.

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

My understanding was that ASM2 made a pretty solid amount of money, but also burned off literally every remaining bit of goodwill the franchise had left under Sony, meaning their planned spinoffs went from "sure bet" to "Bad loving Idea"

Why was all the goodwill burned off?

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Calaveron posted:

I can't recall them setting any ground work for a Black Cat movie? Heck Homecoming flirted with the idea more with the platinum blonde girl in the background early on in the movie

Felicia Hardy was there, she was a banker or something? I remember some articles talking about a spin-off after the movie came out.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006

Leavemywife posted:

It was really bad

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Leavemywife posted:

One explanation being that they took one of the few good things about the series and slammed her head against the ground so hard she died.

joylessdivision
Jun 15, 2013

Lobok posted:

One explanation being that they took one of the few good things about the series and slammed her head against the ground so hard she died.

Oh Gwen Stacy.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Leavemywife posted:

I'd suggest watching the movie.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Lobok posted:

I still can't comprehend why Sony insisted on going forward with the sideplot involving Peter's parents and the mystery with them, to the point where they filmed an alternate ending where Peter's dad shows up to meet him in the cemetery.

http://io9.gizmodo.com/peter-parker-meets-his-dad-in-alternate-amazing-spider-1615682799

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

Snowman_McK posted:

How's he supposed to stab people with a raygun?

Really hard.

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

Leavemywife posted:

Wasting Paul Giamatti is a crime

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012
The Emoji Movie's anthropomorphized emojis look sooo terrible.
Making emojis expressive cg characters (& the plot being that an emoji wants to be more than just one emotion or a different emoji idk i only half-remember one trailer) is rly stupid because single emojis already represent a range of ideas, thats the whole point, they're these fundamental very expressive building blocks that u can use in different contexts for different meaning which is also filtered thru the perspective of the person looking at them.
They need 2 show some respect for emojis😠😠😠

Hat Thoughts fucked around with this message at 06:13 on Jul 27, 2017

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Taking the term "Koopaling" to a whole new level since 2016.
I forgot they killed Gwen Stacy. That explains it all.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

FlamingLiberal posted:

I still can't comprehend why Sony insisted on going forward with the sideplot involving Peter's parents and the mystery with them, to the point where they filmed an alternate ending where Peter's dad shows up to meet him in the cemetery.

http://io9.gizmodo.com/peter-parker-meets-his-dad-in-alternate-amazing-spider-1615682799

The hubris of studio executives.

Red Bones
Aug 9, 2012

"I think he's a bad enough person to stay ghost through his sheer love of child-killing."

I never saw ASM2 and I only found out yesterday that it had Green Goblin in it, I thought it only had Paul Giamatti and Jamie Foxx as villains. It sounds very bloated.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Red Bones posted:

I never saw ASM2 and I only found out yesterday that it had Green Goblin in it, I thought it only had Paul Giamatti and Jamie Foxx as villains. It sounds very bloated.

Spider-Man: Homecoming had Vulture, two Shockers, the Tinkerer, Prowler, Darter and the Scorpion as well as Iron Man, Happy Hogan, Pepper Potts and Captain America.

But most of those bad guys just happen to have the same name as comicbook characters who went on to become those supervillains, if you didn't know Mac Gargan from the comics (and you didn't spot the scorpion tattoo on his neck) you'd have no idea that the guy trying to buy illegal weapons on the ferry is going to become one of Spider-Man's costumed arch-nemeses and wasn't just some random gangster.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
Studios will never loving learn. The '89-'97 Batman was the first example of "Stop putting so many villains in the goddamn movies" and yet every series since has loaded 'em up by the third one. It's especially funny when Amazing Spider-Man 2 replicated one of the biggest problems of Spider-Man 3 by having three main villains all fighting for screen time.

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

Amazing Spider-Man's 2 main problem wasn't too many villians. It was that one of the villians was made into a lame Dr. Manhattan Rip-off.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
Which is probably why I didn't say "Amazing Spider-Man 2's main problem was too many villains"

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Marge, I'd like to be alone with the sandwich for a moment.

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...

Snowman_McK posted:

How's he supposed to stab people with a raygun? Think these things through.

Maybe he can use a rayonette

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
I think it's fine to include a whole bunch of villains just as long as the writers don't feel the need to have a long drawn out origin story and then character arc/subplot and then protracted comeuppance scene for each of them crammed into the script. In Spider-Man: Homecoming we got the Vulture's origin story and all the other villains were rolled into that, they were pretty much just along for the ride. And the Vulture's origin was pretty darned brief to boot.

Edit: The Dark Knight Rises features Bane, Catwoman, Talia al Ghul and the Scarecrow. Harvey Dent and Ra's al Ghul are also discussed quite a bit during the movie even if they don't actually appear in it.

Edit 2: The Dark Knight has the Joker, Harvey Dent, the Scarecrow and a whole bunch of distinct mob bosses and crooked cops and a mob accountant and a Wayne Enterprises employee who is going to expose Batman, it has a ton of villains. And the Joker has 4 or 5 origin stories but he's always the exception to the rule. :v:

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

I think it's fine to include a whole bunch of villains just as long as the writers don't feel the need to have a long drawn out origin story and then character arc/subplot and then protracted comeuppance scene for each of them crammed into the script. In Spider-Man: Homecoming we got the Vulture's origin story and all the other villains were rolled into that, they were pretty much just along for the ride. And the Vulture's origin was pretty darned brief to boot.

Edit: The Dark Knight Rises features Bane, Catwoman, Talia al Ghul and the Scarecrow. Harvey Dent and Ra's al Ghul are also discussed quite a bit during the movie even if they don't actually appear in it.

Edit 2: The Dark Knight has the Joker, Harvey Dent, the Scarecrow and a whole bunch of distinct mob bosses and crooked cops and a mob accountant and a Wayne Enterprises employee who is going to expose Batman, it has a ton of villains. And the Joker has 4 or 5 origin stories but he's always the exception to the rule. :v:

I actually wanted more of the Scarecrow in DKR but thought his scenes were great.

He was already an established character in the trilogy unlike Bane, Catwoman and Talia.

They did a pretty good job with Bane as a newcomer to the films as well.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

syscall girl posted:

They did a pretty good job with Bane as a newcomer to the films as well.

He got a pretty cool origin story as well. Except SIKE it was Talia's origin story! Two for the price of one!

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Red Bones posted:

Oh yeah, that was one other reason: teasing Rhino. He fires off a bunch of missiles but otherwise the fight isn't shown and is left up to the audience's imagination.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Lobok posted:

Oh yeah, that was one other reason: teasing Rhino. He fires off a bunch of missiles but otherwise the fight isn't shown and is left up to the audience's imagination.

I guess since that movie line ends there, I choose to believe Rhino kills Spider-man.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

He got a pretty cool origin story as well. Except SIKE it was Talia's origin story! Two for the price of one!

I must break you.

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

I bet the lesson Sony took from Spiderman 3 was that they didn't interfere enough.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

SM3 had three villains that all had major screen time which is too much. At least with ASM2 Rhino is barely in it.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

[quote="“FlamingLiberal”" post="“474773415”"]
SM3 had three villains that all had major screen time which is too much. At least with ASM2 Rhino is barely in it.
[/quote]

Rhino was the best part of ASM2 though

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
The problem was also that the villains in sm3 were bad and dumb and poorly implemented
Like the villains in asm2 were also bad and dumb and poorly implemented
Like did sandman REALLY need to be frosted tips mugger's partner and thus the man who actually shot uncle Ben making him the most important person in the universe?
Did venom really need to be played by notorious weeny Eric Forman
My respects to PG but goddamn his rhino was like nails on chalkboard and completely wasted
Dane Dehaan was torture in every aspect

Homecoming implemented the multiple villains in perfect ways. The Tinkerer was there but he was the vulture's Q, he wasn't some loud bombastic villain played either by a has been or a newcomer desperate to call attention to himself
The shocker was two guys played as a low level street criminal promoted to low level street criminal enforcer in a hoodie with a fist taser instead of some loud obnoxious rear end in a top hat in quilted full-body pijamas shooting special effects all over the place fighting for screen time with the vastly superior Toomes
The Vulture was of course expertly played and in my opinion his updated design is the most inspired reimagination of all mcu and dccu movies in form, function and thematic reasons

The one thing that asm2 did that I liked was Electro's power manifesting as dubstep

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

The one thing I will always remember from asm2 is spidey shooting his web out to save gwen from falling, and the camera zooms in to show that the end of spidey's web forms a little hand shape

It's art, you see

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

Man, Spider-Man: Homecoming turned out to have such a lasting pop culture impact.

BravestOfTheLamps fucked around with this message at 16:45 on Jul 27, 2017

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Making Sandman the guy who shot Uncle Ben was the stupidest loving decision I swear

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

FlamingLiberal posted:

Making Sandman the guy who shot Uncle Ben was the stupidest loving decision I swear

Everytime they mess with Spider-Man's origins it completely deflates the 'everyman' vibe. He works best as a random wimpy kid who gets great power.

Being the son of two secret agents, or having his origin being manifest by supervillains and rogues takes away from that.

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.

SciFiDownBeat posted:

The one thing I will always remember from asm2 is spidey shooting his web out to save gwen from falling, and the camera zooms in to show that the end of spidey's web forms a little hand shape

It's art, you see

I was already underwhelmed by GG's origin and appearance, but that was the part that sunk the movie for me. Way to make me laugh during such a pivotal scene.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

well why not posted:

Everytime they mess with Spider-Man's origins it completely deflates the 'everyman' vibe. He works best as a random wimpy kid who gets great power.

Being the son of two secret agents, or having his origin being manifest by supervillains and rogues takes away from that.
Right, and it's frustrating that they don't get that. The whole reason Spider-Man exists is Ditko/Lee wanted a character who was not a rich guy or a super scientist that readers could relate to more. I think that was something that the Raimi films did better with- how Peter struggles to keep a roof over his head and also be Spider-Man.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

Honestly, it really defeats the point of the character's working class origin. I haven't watched Homecoming yet (and these posts are probably best suited for the CB thread) but is he the secret genetically-engineered son of spies and millionaires in that?

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

well why not posted:

Honestly, it really defeats the point of the character's working class origin. I haven't watched Homecoming yet (and these posts are probably best suited for the CB thread) but is he the secret genetically-engineered son of spies and millionaires in that?

Nope. He lives in a tiny apartment in Queens and his parents are never spoken of beyond being dead.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FoneBone
Oct 24, 2004
stupid, stupid rat creatures

FlamingLiberal posted:

The tracking is based on presales

It's usually based on phone polling and/or social media metrics, depending on the source.

• Locked thread