Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
Wait when people say "one jump potion per account" do they mean the storyline potion or did Square really say "only one instant 60 job per account"? Thus inconveniencing/annoying people who end up boosting a job they dislike and also closing off a stream of possible revenue?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING
Yes

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe

Pierson posted:

Wait when people say "one jump potion per account" do they mean the storyline potion or did Square really say "only one instant 60 job per account"? Thus inconveniencing/annoying people who end up boosting a job they dislike and also closing off a stream of possible revenue?

The latter. Once you bought a potion to any level 60 class you can't buy another for another class on any character on the account. I have no doubt they'll unlock this at some point, because :20bux:.

Frankly I think "we know the low levels are poo poo and boring but if you want to skip them pay us 20 bucks" (and the same for "do you wanna skip the 100 fed ex quests blocking your access to the previous expansion?") is dumb and lovely but here we are. Video games in 2017.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I think they did say they're going to lift that restriction at some point, though honestly I can't understand why it's there in the first place. It's not like they'll let you jump to 70, nor will they let you jump one of the new jobs. I don't see what the harm is, personally.

Also I jump potioned Bard and ended up not really loving it as much as I hoped and I'd love a do-over so I could jump potion White Mage instead :v:

I wonder if they'll ever go the Blizzard route and just include a "jump to <start of expansion level>" item with future expansion purchases. Especially when jobs can change pretty dramatically between expansions, I think it'd be nice to let people more easily get into something else if the changes to the job they currently main make it no longer fun for them.

Harrow fucked around with this message at 15:51 on Jul 27, 2017

felch me daddy jr.
Oct 30, 2009

Minrad posted:

I can assure you it gets a lot better at 50+, but it's a long, boring slog to get there, and either you're enchanted enough by the world and the concept of a Final Fantasy MMO to stick it out, or you're not. It sounds like you aren't.

The upside is that, if you're willing to spend money, you can pay to skip ARR and/or get a level boost now.
Yeah, I couldn't care less about the plot or setting, and just tried this because it's one of the most popular MMOs currently and a friend recommended it. I'm no stranger to spending obscene amounts in MMO cash shops, but I don't want to do that if I'm not already pretty sure I like the game.

Zandar posted:

A few points:

• Rogue is pretty boring at low levels, but it's worse because of the recent ability culling in Stormblood. Normally you'd at least have a DoT to throw in by now. The mudras you get from Ninja make it much more interesting.
  • The "click quest text" almost always works, but if you're not in the zone it's pointing to, it'll just show you a zoomed-out version of the map with the quest marker next to one of the zone names. It's stupid, but you can click on the zone name to switch to that map and see the actual location. Not sure why you say the map sucks in general, are you looking at the multi-zone level? I haven't really had a problem with the single-zone map, it's basically just "you can walk in the lit-up area".
  • You can get a mount once you reach level 20 in the MSQ and join a Grand Company, so you're not too far off. That said, it sounds like you have a few dungeons to get through first.
You're right that if I'm not in the zone it shows me the useless zoomed-out map, but when I am in the right zone it shows me an even more useless zoomed-out map without any marker at all. This wasn't always the case, but it's been that way for the last couple of main quests at least.

Also my main problem with the map (particularly in cities) is how cluttered it is with a million quest markers for quests I'll never do of all levels, and no way to actually customize what markers it shows. As someone with zero sense of direction it's also incredibly annoying how every city seems to consist of several fragments instead of just one level, they all remind me of The Grove in GW2 and how much I hate navigating it.

For some reason I thought the main quest step where you can get the mount was at level 30, level 20 is at least not that far off and it'll be nice not to have to run everywhere.

Harrow posted:

Rogue is terrible at low levels, unfortunately. A friend of mine recently finished ARR for the first time and she played as Rogue--I don't think she enjoyed the gameplay at all until she was past level 40. I don't really understand how Rogue is designed at all, but it's basically half a class until you're like level 45, and then all of a sudden it completes and is amazing.

That said, the game is significantly dumbed down at low levels for reasons other people have described, and that's true for basically every class, unfortunately. I really hope they revisit those levels in the next expansion's inevitable "let's revise all the jobs again" pass.
At levels 3-25, at least, you have two skills that you use 95% of the time, and the second one just combos off the first to become the same attack, but slightly more powerful. You get a sneak attack you can use once per encounter, but it seems like you can't use it for most dungeon bosses which is where it'd actually be good. You also get an execute skill that's useless against most mobs since once it's active you kill them with your next attack regardless. Finally, you have a 3s stun which I mainly use to give my fingers something to do while waiting for the GCD. I was hoping it'd explosively open up once I get ninja, if it takes until 40+ I'm not sure I can be bothered.

felch me daddy jr. fucked around with this message at 16:03 on Jul 27, 2017

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe

Harrow posted:

I think they did say they're going to lift that restriction at some point, though honestly I can't understand why it's there in the first place. It's not like they'll let you jump to 70, nor will they let you jump one of the new jobs. I don't see what the harm is, personally.

Also I jump potioned Bard and ended up not really loving it as much as I hoped and I'd love a do-over so I could jump potion White Mage instead :v:

[...]

I assume it's either about gil sellers or the fear of newbies buying level 60 jobs without having gone through the proper steps of hundreds of solo quests or dozens of hours in PotD to ~learn2play~.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

I'm continually disappointed that in most roulette dungeons I don't get Doom Spike.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

tyblazitar posted:

Yeah, I couldn't care less about the plot or setting, and just tried this because it's one of the most popular MMOs currently and a friend recommended it. I'm no stranger to spending obscene amounts in MMO cash shops, but I don't want to do that if I'm not already pretty sure I like the game.

The plot and setting become significantly more interesting in the expansions, honestly. People say FFXIV has a great story, and it does, but it takes forever to get there. Though if you don't really care about story in an MMO in general, even a good one, FFXIV isn't going to change your mind.

tyblazitar posted:

At levels 3-25, at least, you have two skills that you use 95% of the time, and the second one just combos off the first to become the same attack, but slightly more powerful. You get a sneak attack you can use once per encounter, but it seems like you can't use it for most dungeon bosses which is where it'd actually be good. You also get an execute skill that's useless against most mobs since once it's active you kill them with your next attack regardless. Finally, you have a 3s stun which I mainly use to give my fingers something to do while waiting for the GCD. I was hoping it'd explosively open up once I get ninja, if it takes until 40+ I'm not sure I can be bothered.

It does open up when you get Ninja, but for some reason they didn't give Ninja any AoE until level 35, and that's on a big cooldown. Your actual AoE skill doesn't come until loving 42. The best part is that they have no excuse--Ninja was designed and released after the game released. They loving knew better.

And you know what the irony is? Ninja basically feels complete by 50, in contrast to almost any other job. They have the fastest jump from "hit two buttons forever" to "hell yes this owns" of any job. Everything after 50 is basically gravy--it's all fun and cool and makes you stronger, but right at 50 you basically have a complete job.

I'm trying to think of a better job you might want to try out. Pugilist/Monk is decently fun the whole way through, if I remember correctly, while still occupying the fast-paced melee niche that Rogue/Ninja does. (In fact, it becomes fast-paced significantly earlier than Rogue/Ninja.) I think I remember feeling basically like the job started to make sense by the mid-20s and it was really engaging by 30. Of course, that means leveling another class without having the main story quests, which can be kind of grindy, and I don't think anyone would blame you for not wanting to do that.

Oxygen Deficiency
May 19, 2008

tyblazitar posted:

You get Mudras at 30+ which definitely make it more interesting and will give you something to do during gcd.

Have you looked into Palace of the Dead yet? You can unlock it at around level 15 iirc in Quarrymill. It will let you try any clas you've unlocked starting at level one and quickly gaining levels (which fyi don't translate to your actual level outside the palace). It's fairly fast to get to level 60 in PotD and get a much better feel for how the class will play at higher levels. As a bonus, once you unlock floors 50+ once, you can start at floor 51 with any other class/job and it will automatically start you at level 60 with all the class skills available (not sure if it also gives you job skills if you haven't got the crystal).

Fortuitous Bumble
Jan 5, 2007

orcane posted:

I assume it's either about gil sellers or the fear of newbies buying level 60 jobs without having gone through the proper steps of hundreds of solo quests or dozens of hours in PotD to ~learn2play~.

There were a lot of players who were against the idea of jump potions to begin with so they probably wanted to avoid upsetting those players too much. The idea that players would learn the game by 50/60 through quests and instances is nice but they already added PotD

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Fortuitous Bumble posted:

There were a lot of players who were against the idea of jump potions to begin with so they probably wanted to avoid upsetting those players too much. The idea that players would learn the game by 50/60 through quests and instances is nice but they already added PotD

And really, most jobs change so much from 50 onward that anything you "learn" before then isn't particularly valuable except, I guess, what a "tank" is.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
Mudras are completely craptastic if your latency goes above 100ms or so, though.

tyblazitar posted:

You're right that if I'm not in the zone it shows me the useless zoomed-out map, but when I am in the right zone it shows me an even more useless zoomed-out map without any marker at all. This wasn't always the case, but it's been that way for the last couple of main quests at least.

Also my main problem with the map (particularly in cities) is how cluttered it is with a million quest markers for quests I'll never do of all levels, and no way to actually customize what markers it shows. As someone with zero sense of direction it's also incredibly annoying how every city seems to consist of several fragments instead of just one level, they all remind me of The Grove in GW2 and how much I hate navigating it.

If you're in the right zone it usually auto-centers on a marker of an NPC you have to talk to, or it shows the area in which your quest takes place with an orange circle overlay. Unfortunately the latter is not very visible if your map is zoomed out too much, and sometimes if a quest makes you go to 3 different areas in the zone it centers somewhere between them and you might not see any. You should be able to see the circle by zooming in though.

The lack of filtering is bad, the only "solution" is to do all the side quests to make it readable in towns.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.

Oxygen Deficiency posted:

You get Mudras at 30+ which definitely make it more interesting and will give you something to do during gcd.

Have you looked into Palace of the Dead yet? You can unlock it at around level 15 iirc in Quarrymill. It will let you try any clas you've unlocked starting at level one and quickly gaining levels (which fyi don't translate to your actual level outside the palace). It's fairly fast to get to level 60 in PotD and get a much better feel for how the class will play at higher levels. As a bonus, once you unlock floors 50+ once, you can start at floor 51 with any other class/job and it will automatically start you at level 60 with all the class skills available (not sure if it also gives you job skills if you haven't got the crystal).

You do not, which sucks.

Edit: Possibly the best reason to get rid of the class system, honestly.

Clarste fucked around with this message at 16:16 on Jul 27, 2017

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Cheap Trick posted:

Yeah but... but... I wanted to see another villain get their deserved comeuppance! Along with Ilbert and his two traitor bros!

Although keeping your last point in mind, I can accept how the story's progressed the way it has. And if the Heavensward conclusion is even better than the AAR conclusion, whew.

Lolorito isn't a villain. He did nothing wrong.

Fortuitous Bumble
Jan 5, 2007

Harrow posted:

And really, most jobs change so much from 50 onward that anything you "learn" before then isn't particularly valuable except, I guess, what a "tank" is.

There are a lot of recurring dungeon mechanics that they ease you into during the leveling process, but I think you're forced into most of those during the MSQ anyway. The only one that I've noticed players missing all the time in DF is the stack marker (yellow arrows), for some reason.

Wangsbig
May 27, 2007

tyblazitar posted:

I decided to try out this game to scratch that MMO itch, and holy poo poo it's so bad. I've heard it gets better post-50 but I'm not sure I'll even make it that far. At level 25 (rogue) my DPS rotation is still essentially two buttons, all other skills are either extremely situational, completely useless, or have so long CD as not to be worth thinking about (frequently all three). The XP bonus means I'm still on the level 16 part of the main quest despite doing nothing but main and job quests, and all my gear is severely underleveled. Apparently the concept of AOE is treated like some sealed black magic that most people should have very sparing or no access to? The map is the worst map I've seen in any game period, and since the "click quest text to see where to go" function straight up doesn't work most of the time, just finding quest NPCs have turned into a real slog. The vast majority of my time is spent running from A to B to C to D and back to B again, with no mount in sight for a long time and only the lovely sprint skill to help me.

I guess I'll have to get to 30 and see if it's more fun as a ninja, but thus far this game has been nothing but frustrating and tedious.

jump potion or quit cuz you're not gonna have fun for a while

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Fortuitous Bumble posted:

There are a lot of recurring dungeon mechanics that they ease you into during the leveling process, but I think you're forced into most of those during the MSQ anyway. The only one that I've noticed players missing all the time in DF is the stack marker (yellow arrows), for some reason.

Yeah, people are terrible at stack markers for some reason. Even in a late Stormblood dungeon I ran into a Samurai who ran away when he had a stack marker on him, and when we all asked why, he claimed he'd never seen one before, but I'm pretty sure there are other Stormblood bosses that use them so even if he jump potioned he had to have seen it before :psyduck:

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
I quit mid-HW, and when I came back I honestly had no idea what a stack marker was despite being familiar with everything else. I think the MSQ must do a lousy job of teaching it, compared to the other markers. Probably doesn't help that 3 people stacking is usually enough to survive in a 4-man dungeon, so people can afford to ignore it.

Jinh
Sep 12, 2008

Fun Shoe

Harrow posted:

Yeah, people are terrible at stack markers for some reason. Even in a late Stormblood dungeon I ran into a Samurai who ran away when he had a stack marker on him, and when we all asked why, he claimed he'd never seen one before, but I'm pretty sure there are other Stormblood bosses that use them so even if he jump potioned he had to have seen it before :psyduck:

I've had that problem too with an fc mate who ran away with it. Hell, not only is it everywhere in SB but it was used in a few 24 man fights as well as a bunch of casual raids in heavensward. Wasn't it also in a couple HW dungeons? I think the one with the final boss who summons Garuda used it.

Jinh fucked around with this message at 16:34 on Jul 27, 2017

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

Before jump potions, everyone had to save or die with the stack marker in Final Steps of Faith at the least.

Emily Spinach
Oct 21, 2010

:)
It’s 🌿Garland🌿!😯😯😯 No…🙅 I am become😤 😈CHAOS👿! MMMMH😋 GHAAA😫

Harrow posted:

Are those ever explained in game though? If you're just going through everything with pugs and nobody mentions "if you get this, run in" then they may never learn. If he still did it after an explanation though, and kept doing it, then I guess there's just no helping some people.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

meiram posted:

Are those ever explained in game though? If you're just going through everything with pugs and nobody mentions "if you get this, run in" then they may never learn. If he still did it after an explanation though, and kept doing it, then I guess there's just no helping some people.

Yeah, I suppose they aren't, unless one of the guildhests does (and, y'know, if anybody does those at all).

Although one of the RDM job quests actually takes the time to explain it, which is great. I think it might be the level 56 one? The boss uses a stacking attack and your mentor's says that you should share the brunt of the attack so neither of you has to weather it alone. Maybe more of the job quests should do that. If you don't level RDM you probably never get an explicit introduction to that mechanic.

Concurred
Apr 23, 2003

My team got swept out of the playoffs, and all I got was this avatar and red text

I resubbed a week before Stormblood after quitting back in 2.0 and it took me a dungeon run or two to figure out the stack marker.

Now, as a 70 AST, I love them because it means I get to use Earthly Star which has a very satisfying sound when it goes off :allears:

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

All your friends and foes,
they thought they knew ya,
but look who's in your heart now.

Jinh posted:

I've had that problem too with an fc mate who ran away with it. Hell, not only is it everywhere in SB but it was used in a few 24 man fights as well as a bunch of casual raids in heavensward. Wasn't it also in a couple HW dungeons? I think the one with the final boss who summons Garuda used it.

I think the first stack marker is used on either Sephirot or Nidhogg

Hidingo Kojimba
Mar 29, 2010

Minrad posted:

I think the first stack marker is used on either Sephirot or Nidhogg

Yeah, I think Sephirot was the first boss that used it (although not for a split-damage mechanic oddly enough), but Nidhogg's likely to be where new players will first encounter it if they're just doing the MSQ.

KoB
May 1, 2009

Minrad posted:

bard's snapshot each time you iron jaws, right

WrightOfWay posted:

They snapshot. The only exception is ground based AOEs like Shadowflare or Doton. They snapshot player buffs but dynamically update on enemy debuffs.

What does snapshot mean? That it updates the dots on your current buffs/debuff or that it extends the original potency when first applied?

Similarly, should I use the Samurai Kenki potency buff on the dot Iaijutsu? Does that increase dot potency?

(Sorry I never remember many skill names.)

mike12345
Jul 14, 2008

"Whether the Earth was created in 7 days, or 7 actual eras, I'm not sure we'll ever be able to answer that. It's one of the great mysteries."

I also checked this out recently, and noticed there are two jump potions. One does the instant 60 thing, the other unlocks all MSQs. I don't mind levelling, but gating is not my thing. So if I just want a chill leveling experience, that MSQ unlock potion would do?

Gearhead
Feb 13, 2007
The Metroid of Humor

We've all been there.

There's a reason spontaneous memorial shrines to the Broest of Bros develop at Fanfests.

KoB
May 1, 2009

mike12345 posted:

I also checked this out recently, and noticed there are two jump potions. One does the instant 60 thing, the other unlocks all MSQs. I don't mind levelling, but gating is not my thing. So if I just want a chill leveling experience, that MSQ unlock potion would do?

MSQ is definitely the best source of XP. What are you worried about being gated?

But yes, the MSQ gates almost everything I suppose.

Rap Game Goku
Apr 2, 2008

Word to your moms, I came to drop spirit bombs

KoB posted:

MSQ is definitely the best source of XP. What are you worried about being gated?

But yes, the MSQ gates almost everything I suppose.

Have they smoothed out the leveling so just doing the MSQ keeps you relevant? I had the problem in both ARR & HW of running out of MSQs with part of a level remaining before I could move on.

Shy
Mar 20, 2010

mike12345 posted:

Just buy both if you want to, I don't know what's your idea of chill leveling experience but chances are you're going to grind the same couple of instances for days and get tired of it long before reaching 60. MSQ is a good source of xp, if nothing else.

edit: forgot to mention those instances are going to be bad and your ability set is going to be minimal and underwhelming.

Shy fucked around with this message at 17:04 on Jul 27, 2017

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Gearhead posted:

We've all been there.

There's a reason spontaneous memorial shrines to the Broest of Bros develop at Fanfests.

It's not spontaneous if it's planned well in advance and is expected to happen at each one. It's actually the opposite of that.

Cheap Trick
Jan 4, 2007

Gearhead posted:

We've all been there.

Related, I also found out tonight the true reason why one of my guildmates uses Haurchefant's shield as part of her glamour.

Unrelated, it sucks that I'm locked out of being a cool Ninja because of my latency (170ms on a good day). I'll just have to go Dragoon instead and be edgy like Estinien.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

When are people going to stop calling the things that are explicitly not potions jump potions?

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

Fister Roboto posted:

When are people going to stop calling the things that are explicitly not potions jump potions?

Your pedantry is showing. It's ok to call things other things.

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Meiteron posted:

I mean, well and good for when XIV launched but that was two years ago

Putting aside the fact that a game teaching you how to play it is good, actually, are you okay? 2013 was four years ago.

Scaly Haylie fucked around with this message at 17:29 on Jul 27, 2017

Emberfox
Jan 15, 2005

~rero rero rero rero rero

Wacky Delly posted:

Have they smoothed out the leveling so just doing the MSQ keeps you relevant? I had the problem in both ARR & HW of running out of MSQs with part of a level remaining before I could move on.

I don't know why, but this wasn't the case for me. I started running into issues around 40, where I had to run another Cutter's Cry to level up before I could progress to the next part. Then again, this is pretty much jetting from MSQ to MSQ, ignoring any FATEs and sidequests along the way.

Jinh
Sep 12, 2008

Fun Shoe

Fister Roboto posted:

I have a poisonous snake for you

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Cheap Trick posted:

Unrelated, it sucks that I'm locked out of being a cool Ninja because of my latency (170ms on a good day). I'll just have to go Dragoon instead and be edgy like Estinien.

I would not recommend this course of action

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Erg
Oct 31, 2010

Lmao at trying to double weave if you have complaints about latency