Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Ask me about Briar Rose and Chicken Chaser.
So, there's an unspoken assumption that the doppelganger for the race that always obeys authority got a bunch of people killed, right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Lol

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Good episode. The writing and Patrick Stewart's charisma synergized perfectly -- it wouldn't have worked without one or the other. The other side was yet another god aliens experimenting on us thing but I guess that's just such a Star Trek institution I should just get used to it. It did make me think of how I would of reacted in that situation. I'd like to think that once I knew the stun beam wasn't injuring me I could fight the pain, but I've sprinted at full speed to get away from a wasp. Also I probably would have been too distracted to be any use to anybody.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

I've always loved the scene where Faux-Picard bursts out into song in Ten Forward. I think the writers were going for a creepy "this isn't the Picard we know" feel, but it always struck me as hilarious to see the normally pretty private Picard joyfully order drinks for everyone. I also like the "what the hell?" look Worf and Geordi give each other.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

F_Shit_Fitzgerald posted:

I've always loved the scene where Faux-Picard bursts out into song in Ten Forward. I think the writers were going for a creepy "this isn't the Picard we know" feel, but it always struck me as hilarious to see the normally pretty private Picard joyfully order drinks for everyone. I also like the "what the hell?" look Worf and Geordi give each other.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mu2I35ReZ5A

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

F_Shit_Fitzgerald posted:

Yeah it didn't really feel as creepy as they probably intended, and that's again just because Stewart's so charming.

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Lol

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

Jeb! Repetition posted:

Picard just bought a round of drinks for Ten Forward but it seems like that would make less sense when all the drinks are free anyway

British Drinking Song Picard is what Picard should have been from the start. I really want a season 8 episode where Worf and Data sing Ein Prosit.

Come to think of it, one of my favorite O'Brien moments is in season 7 when he sings Minstrel Boy.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

Every time I see Riker beaming wearing Geordi's visor I laugh exactly like Data

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Pakled posted:

Every time I see Riker beaming wearing Geordi's visor I laugh exactly like Data

That delivery of "Welcome to the bridge, Mr. LaForge" slays me every time.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Big Mean Jerk posted:

British Drinking Song Picard is what Picard should have been from the start. I really want a season 8 episode where Worf and Data sing Ein Prosit.

Come to think of it, one of my favorite O'Brien moments is in season 7 when he sings Minstrel Boy.

I really like the Gilbert and Sullivan stuff in Insurrection. I think it might be the only stuff I like in that movie, as a matter of fact.

Lord Hydronium
Sep 25, 2007

Non, je ne regrette rien

I always think of this one.

My favorite little detail in the scene is Geordi not knowing the words and faking his way through singing along.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

Orv posted:

I really like the Gilbert and Sullivan stuff in Insurrection. I think it might be the only stuff I like in that movie, as a matter of fact.

I really dig it too, though I fully accept how goofy it is. "Sing, Worf, sing!" and Worf's head shake are great.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
Apparently Minstrel Boy is in season 4, not 7. Looking forward to Jeb!'s reaction to it.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Big Mean Jerk posted:

I really dig it too, though I fully accept how goofy it is. "Sing, Worf, sing!" and Worf's head shake are great.

Oh it's dumb as hell but it's a good fun moment.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Jeb! Repetition posted:

Gonna watch Allegiance soon. I'm sleep deprived so my reactions may be less, or more, entertaining than usual.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gEdyde0QGZQ
This has some good bits from your episode

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

WampaLord posted:

Weird how they keep bringing up that Voyager is making progress towards Earth, then.

moving towards earth is the premise of the show, and you won't have missed anything important by watching a show from a later season where they're closer to earth without watching the episode where they use fancy warp drives to move real fast. it's understood that they will always be moving towards earth. but if you have an episode where janeway is upset about something you didn't see then it's like, you wanna see what the hell happened with that and can't cause it's syndicated and not out on home video yet probably

that was the idea, anyway.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Arglebargle III posted:

also cable took off bigly in the mid 90s

Yeah that graph is less voyagerisbad.jpg than it is fragmentationofTVaudienceacross500channels.jpg

Orv
May 4, 2011
It can be both.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

WampaLord posted:

Weird how they keep bringing up that Voyager is making progress towards Earth, then.
It's not really comparable to, say, early BSG, where the collapse of civilization and the extinction of the race is 4 dozen-thousand people away.

All the "extra speed jumps" they get messes up the travel time anyway. What was once a 1.5-2.5 generational trip becomes "I'll be half as old as Admiral McCoy when we get home, I'll hate everything!!!". Voyager is really ill-equipped to be a generational ship, so I wonder what the plan was when they get old as gently caress. Captain Naomi Wildman reporting for duty!

And distance to Earth is kind of lame anyway. Once they get out of the uncharted badlands zone they're functionally home. Like would they have ignored DS9 or Riza because it wasnt earthy enough? Im sure Tuvok would be happy shaving 2 weeks off the trip so they could drop him off at Vulcan.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

Orv posted:

It can be both.

Voyager had to deal with DS9 poisoning the Trek waters, though, by disappointing audiences (as evidented by that graph).

By the time there was a Trek that the casual audience would've watched in large enough numbers, it was too late.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

MisterBibs posted:

Voyager had to deal with DS9 poisoning the Trek waters, though, by disappointing audiences (as evidented by that graph).

By the time there was a Trek that the casual audience would've watched in large enough numbers, it was too late.
Would you say that DS9 cast a shadow on the Trek brand, MisterBibs? Perhaps that they colored the audience's opinion of the franchise?

FilthyImp posted:

All the "extra speed jumps" they get messes up the travel time anyway. What was once a 1.5-2.5 generational trip becomes "I'll be half as old as Admiral McCoy when we get home, I'll hate everything!!!". Voyager is really ill-equipped to be a generational ship, so I wonder what the plan was when they get old as gently caress. Captain Naomi Wildman reporting for duty!
I imagine if they had hit a situation where it was gonna be pretty much "go in a straight line for thirty years," they would have rigged up some kind of stasis method or freeze pods. Cross train key personnel for a couple of years and then you have a hundred guys, right? Twenty people awake for a year, asleep for four. Presumably the Doctor would have worked indefinitely. At some point you might be able to re-establish contact with Starfleet and get your software updated (as happened, more or less, in the show.)

Also, you probably had at least some crew members with greatly extended lifespans. Tuvok would've been an old man when they got home but it seems like he would've been alive if not for his weird disease.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Well they also have a sentient AI hologram who can run the ship.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Grand Fromage posted:

Could the Doctor have done all the work? I figure you'd need at least some warm bodies and supervision. Originally he couldn't even leave Sickbay (or presumably the holodecks).

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
if you asked someone after TNG whether they wanted to watch more star trek they would just answer deep space nein

1000 Brown M and Ms
Oct 22, 2008

F:\DL>quickfli 4-clowns.fli

Orv posted:

You know it just occurred to me how weird it must be to use TNG era phasers as the actors, it's not like they see the beam, and it's already a weird thing to hold and aim. They do just fine in the final cuts of the shows, but I wonder how many times in TNG/DS9/Voy season 1 they had to stop and correct things.

This is from a later season of TNG (3 I think), but it's probably the worst example:

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

A lot of Trek conventions (weapons without sights, unlabeled computer controls, etc.) make a lot more sense if you quietly assume there's ubiquitous personal HUD implants along with the universal translator.

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

The_Doctor posted:

New pics! Transporter room looks better on the Discovery if a little neon and bright.

Man, that Space Cases reboot is looking good!

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
I recall hearing something about the DS9 or Voyager phasers having to have sights added because they built laser pointers into the props to help with the special effects, and it turned out no one knew how to aim the things. It may be acrophycal. (aka bullshit)

For all the 20th century and before pop culture they bring up, they rarely bring up old human sci-fi and the fearful ideas of aliens much. I bet Kira would love X-COM.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

1000 Brown M and Ms posted:

This is from a later season of TNG (3 I think), but it's probably the worst example:

The beam emitter aims for you! It knows who you want to shoot the same way the universal translator knows not to translate random swears.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

Honestly, during Disaster, it should have been Ensign Ro who took command of the bridge. But someone decided it'd make a good story to have Troi thrust into command while being unaware of concepts like "if antimatter containment fails, the ship explodes and everyone dies" so they decided "gently caress it, she's got the highest rank, she gets the big chair."

IIRC it was O'Brien who said "whoa hold up Ro, you're not in command, Troi outranks you."

I like to imagine he knew Troi wasn't a qualified line officer but he concluded (correctly) that Ro was nuts and he was bluffing his way through it because he figured Troi would listen to reason.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Grand Fromage posted:

And they have an episode that touches on that, where Seven and The doctor have to run the ship for 45 (?) Days as they enter a nebula full of biogenic radiation that makes the crew ill (just forget the neuropack poo poo that would also break Voyager, the writers did).

Everyone's in a stasis pod, the Doc's holoemitter gets damaged so he's stuck in sickbay after a time, and it becomes Seven running around wildly trying to put out a dozen different emergencies on a failing ship.

I think they state, early on, that you nerd about 100 people to run the ship. Her Diktator would presumably start a breeding program 5 years in, or conscript folks at some point.

That kind of fucks the premise, when they only folks alive at the end of the 65 year journey will be a Vulcan, a possibly schizoid EMH, Naomi Wildman and Miral Paris.

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

The only real option they would have at that point is hoping enough of the crew bones each other to come up with a generation of cadets for the second half of the voyage and recruiting enough aliens for a one way trip across the galaxy to fill in the gaps. It's not like Janeway could order the crew to start breeding for have the doctor withhold birth control.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

8one6 posted:

It's not like Janeway could order the crew to start breeding for have the doctor withhold birth control.
Of course not. That would be against regulations probably

Unlike [extensive list of Janeway atrocities from murder to borg treason]

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

FilthyImp posted:

And they have an episode that touches on that, where Seven and The doctor have to run the ship for 45 (?) Days as they enter a nebula full of biogenic radiation that makes the crew ill (just forget the neuropack poo poo that would also break Voyager, the writers did).

Everyone's in a stasis pod, the Doc's holoemitter gets damaged so he's stuck in sickbay after a time, and it becomes Seven running around wildly trying to put out a dozen different emergencies on a failing ship.

I think they state, early on, that you nerd about 100 people to run the ship. Her Diktator would presumably start a breeding program 5 years in, or conscript folks at some point.

That kind of fucks the premise, when they only folks alive at the end of the 65 year journey will be a Vulcan, a possibly schizoid EMH, Naomi Wildman and Miral Paris.

In that case though, the crew had to stay in stasis. If you could wake anyone up you needed at any time (including full crew if necessary), it becomes a lot more feasible.

Even doing someone where a larger group of people wakes up once a week to perform a maintenance blitz and then goes back to sleep could work to keep things moving and everyone younger.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Couldn't they just clone people, that technology is easily available. You can even age advance them although that might not be ethical, on the other hand less questionable than murdering a guy for the mission so

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
The EW piece on Discovery is out today and confirms a bunch of rumored production stuff; that is was pitched as an anthology, that Fuller spent too much time split between DSC and American Gods, that he clashed with the director of the pilot, that one of the delays was just so Martin-Green could finish up on Walking Dead, etc.

But it also has this little nugget:

quote:

Some of Fuller’s ideas were tossed, however — from the more heavily allegorical and complex story line to his choice of uniforms (a subdued spin on the original series’ trio of primary colors).

So not only was the original showrunner a production nightmare, but the new guys (or CBS, more likely) then tossed his few good ideas and went over budget sourcing those ugly uniforms from switzerland.

:laugh:

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

Nessus posted:

Would you say that DS9 cast a shadow on the Trek brand, MisterBibs? Perhaps that they colored the audience's opinion of the franchise?

Har har.

It wasn't about the skin color of the not-even-a-captain (although no doubt it was at least part of it for some people), fundamentally it was doing a drastically different Trek right after the most successful and popular Trek, instead of something that might've kept the casual audience interested enough to watch.

As the chart makes clear, people jumped ship (partially because there was no ship, just shuttle craft) off Trek steadily, and by the time there was TNG2 to try and attract people, they were done with Trek.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Oh, yay, can't have a too complex story line. Star Trek fans have been clamoring against stuff like that for years. I mean, JJ Trek was just too cerebral.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Big Mean Jerk posted:

The EW piece on Discovery is out today and confirms a bunch of rumored production stuff; that is was pitched as an anthology, that Fuller spent too much time split between DSC and American Gods, that he clashed with the director of the pilot, that one of the delays was just so Martin-Green could finish up on Walking Dead, etc.

But it also has this little nugget:

So not only was the original showrunner a production nightmare, but the new guys (or CBS, more likely) then tossed his few good ideas and went over budget sourcing those ugly uniforms from switzerland.

:laugh:
Oh dammit.