Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE
I'm curious, where did this living soul thing start? I only drift in and out of this thread every few months or so.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay

Solemn Sloth posted:

There was, Britain wasn't a foreign power when it was written

And yet there's no carve out for the US or W. European countries. Try again.

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

A contract signed by a minor is not binding!
In 1901 the USA and Western Europe were rival colonial powers, not allies to England.

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay
fwiw I've tried Quick and Garran, Tony Blackshield, George Williams, the High Court, this goddamn article from 1982. The Constitution is plenty racist, but s44 doesn't appear to be.

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

A contract signed by a minor is not binding!
The idea that the Australian constitution isn't a product of the international atmosphere at the time of its drafting is a strange one to me.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
Bill is pulling out the big guns. Republican electoral platform after this shitshow.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again
I simply don't see how the Coalition can win. Bill Shorten basically has to adopt Turnbull's 'progressive pre-Abbott platforms' and combine it with Rudd era policy and Malcolm is too chained up to do anything about it.

Like if you were an LNP strategist (Hi Hambeet) you'd be hitting the whiskey pretty hard right now because you'd need a stroke of genius to counter the Bernie-Corbyn emulated populism that Shorten is pulling off.

The ALP are still fuckers though.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

JBP posted:

Bill is pulling out the big guns. Republican electoral platform after this shitshow.

Wait he finally came up with a policy?

Pity it wasn't an anti-corruption one. Yeah, yeah I know.

Smegmatron
Apr 23, 2003

I hate to advocate emptyquoting or shitposting to anyone, but they've always worked for me.

Anidav posted:

I simply don't see how the Coalition can win. Bill Shorten basically has to adopt Turnbull's 'progressive pre-Abbott platforms' and combine it with Rudd era policy and Malcolm is too chained up to do anything about it.

Like if you were an LNP strategist (Hi Hambeet) you'd be hitting the whiskey pretty hard right now because you'd need a stroke of genius to counter the Bernie-Corbyn emulated populism that Shorten is pulling off.

The ALP are still fuckers though.

One boat.

It will take exactly one boat for Turnbull to win an election.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

Smegmatron posted:

One boat.

I disagree the LNP have been saying they finally stopped the boats for years now and it hasn't given them ay sort of poll recovery. It's beating a dead horse at this point but we are still a racist country.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.

The Lord Bude posted:

I'm curious, where did this living soul thing start? I only drift in and out of this thread every few months or so.

http://www.smh.com.au/federal-polit...804-gqlesa.html

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

Thanks.

...Oh my.

Futuresight
Oct 11, 2012

IT'S ALL TURNED TO SHIT!

freebooter posted:

Australia stuff

Yeah Australia really is a very good country. It's easy to feel down on it though because we're on a very rough trajectory and have been for decades. If we could undo ~30 years of economic liberalism we'd be in such an amazing place that it's disheartening. Even social issues are very much manufactured. Boat people didn't just happen that took so much work from the government and the media to turn it into the shitstorm it has become. The more blatant anti-homosexuality and women bigotry is mostly done against the wishes of the electorate. And most of the racism problem we have is very casual compared to things like what faces the American black community and is also heavily concentrated in the older populations we all fervently hope die off soon. I think the only thing that we can really put down to just an essentially Australian problem is our treatment of Aboriginal Australians. Everything else feels like it could be fixed so easily if Labor rediscovered its leftists roots and got its act together. Or the greens don't give up their leftism and take over.

simmyb
Sep 29, 2005

I'm starting to warm to Bill Shorten...

:confused: :confused: :confused:

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop

simmyb posted:

I'm starting to warm to Bill Shorten...

:confused: :confused: :confused:
Step further into the fire.

Tokamak posted:

It's some dumb parliamentary procedures that are out politicking the politicians. It's not like this whole thing is happening on a wave of popular nationalism.
What loving Australia are you living in Oi Oi Oi?

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
https://twitter.com/MusAusNSW/status/891059414354022401

AgentF
May 11, 2009
Was Shorten's bland robotness actually an effective small target play?

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
Cassie Jaye's film on the men's rights movement shocked Australia. Why?

American documentary filmmaker Cassie Jaye had all sides seeing red during her recent visit to Australia. Was her work about the men's right movement that shocking?

Greg Callaghan

oh boy this is going to be a loving read isn't it

http://www.smh.com.au/good-weekend/cassie-jayes-film-on-the-mens-rights-movement-shocked-australia-why-20170726-gxj34p.html

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

C3PO for PM

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
Welcome to Australia's insanely overblown gender wars, in which men's rights activists (MRAs) rail against "feminazis" and "manginas" (male feminists) and feminists dismiss the MRAs as angry, neurotic misogynists. Although The Red Pill caused debate among the chattering classes when it was released in New York last October, and then more heated exchanges in the UK, it was nothing compared to the outcry Jaye encountered in Australia. "I'm curious about what is different about Australia that makes a film like The Red Pill such a subject of fear and censorship," she muses. "I don't know whether it's because the feminist movement here is particularly strong."

Endman
May 18, 2010

That is not dead which can eternal lie, And with strange aeons even anime may die

The Australian Media rejoices as it finally finds someone stupider than themselves.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

Umm what do you put in a museum in Parramatta? I'm struggling here.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

To the majority of people MRAs vs Strident feminists and antifa vs UPF etc might as well be televised goblin battles.

Regular Wario
Mar 27, 2010

Slippery Tilde

I would blow Dane Cook posted:

Umm what do you put in a museum in Parramatta? I'm struggling here.

Part of the old Westfield food court.

Starshark
Dec 22, 2005
Doctor Rope

JBP posted:

To the majority of people MRAs vs Strident feminists and antifa vs UPF etc might as well be televised goblin battles.

You should talk to ratbag criag - you could exchange stories about how you two know what the majority of Australians think.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

SuddenCactus posted:

Part of the old Westfield food court.

The original Red Rooster Red Rooster.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Starshark posted:

You should talk to ratbag criag - you could exchange stories about how you two know what the majority of Australians think.

The majority of people are demonstrably not interested in extreme politics.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Who has more readers, green left weekly or Mama Mia.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
If a red pill moment is one in which you see the world with brutal, unforgiving clarity, then by any measure it's still a man's world. Never mind the very real problems for women in the West. For women in other parts of the world it's a far, far grimmer picture of powerlessness. Honour killings. Arranged marriage. Child marriage. Sexual slavery. Minimal or no education. Restricted reproductive rights. No right to vote, to drive, to travel without permission.

The women who blazed a path to the freedoms and rights Western women enjoy today faced hostility and scorn not only from men, but from a powerful posse of conservative women who opposed female suffrage and any divergence from non-traditional paths. The resistance rumbled on over the decades, from opposing access to the pill in the 1960s, with claims it would lead to promiscuity and the breakdown of marriage, to later resisting reproductive rights, equal workplace opportunities and abortion.

Jaye acknowledges her own career would not have been possible without the sacrifice of her brave feminist predecessors. "I'm career-driven, so I'm grateful to the previous generations who brought about a more even playing field," she says, adding as I prepare to leave: "You know why I'm not anti-feminist? Because I see feminists doing wonderful things for gender equality. All my friends and family are feminists; after all, I live in San Francisco."

No longer a feminist but not an anti-feminist. Many will be anticipating Cassie Jaye's next documentary project with great interest.

this is the male equivalent of a bill leak obituary

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)
If you think bashing the fash needs people watching it to be effective I'm not sure what to tell you.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
Can we stop talking about some trash movie that no one talks about and start talking about the Parramatta museum of Western (Sydney) Civilization.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

Abby and I decided to check out one of those display home theme parks down in Brisbane's south and the experience is incredible. We are the only young people here everyone else walking around is a grey haired trilby wearing investor rocking up in landrovers and speed dealer sunnies.

If Bill Shorten fucks up negative gearing then this whole thing will collapse.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

Anidav posted:

Abby and I decided to check out one of those display home theme parks down in Brisbane's south and the experience is incredible. We are the only young people here everyone else walking around is a grey haired trilby wearing investor rocking up in landrovers and speed dealer sunnies.

If Bill Shorten fucks up negative gearing then this whole thing will collapse.

Room for a puggle?

Konomex
Oct 25, 2010

a whiteman who has some authority over others, who not only hasn't raped anyone, or stared at them creepily...

Smegmatron posted:

One boat.

If a boat sneaks through the Navy-Silence net now to be seen by the media it will invalidate the entire line that they've stopped the boats, or that torturing refugees for years on end discourages boat journeys. I think a boat now would be far worse for them than good.

If Labor could spin any kind of narrative that is.

adamantium|wang
Sep 14, 2003

Missing you
https://twitter.com/LeemingLachie/status/891142713877217280

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Konomex posted:

If a boat sneaks through the Navy-Silence net now to be seen by the media it will invalidate the entire line that they've stopped the boats, or that torturing refugees for years on end discourages boat journeys. I think a boat now would be far worse for them than good.

If Labor could spin any kind of narrative that is.

Depending on the state of the Liberal party at the time the hard right might use it as a reason to put Dutton in instead of Turnbull.

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

lol "Dangerous driving causing death" instead of manslaughter.

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

I wonder what the charge would have been if the kid had run someone over?

bandaid.friend
Apr 25, 2017

:obama:My first car was a stick:obama:
http://www.abc.net.au/news/2017-07-29/luke-foley-pledges-to-crack-down-on-wage-theft-if-elected-in-nsw/8756236

quote:

Luke Foley said NSW Labor would bring in a new wage law to criminalise the deliberate failure to pay wages and other entitlements, with punishing fines and jail terms for the worst offenders.
Mr Foley said he would also make head franchisors of chains like 7-Eleven and Pizza Hut legally liable for wages and employment conditions inside their networks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

This needs to be federal policy.

• Locked thread