Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

i don't understand worshiping a god when you know there's nothing on the other side.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

Groovelord Neato posted:

i don't understand worshiping a god when you know there's nothing on the other side.

Does jon still show much piety tho?

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

melisandre knows there's nothing on the other side, beric told her. also he still is a follower. as is thoros.

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

looks like we have a bad transmitter

Groovelord Neato posted:

Because they have real actual power on this side?

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

How 'bout them hawks news huh!
I really miss Jonathan Pryce.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Groovelord Neato posted:

melisandre knows there's nothing on the other side, beric told her. also he still is a follower. as is thoros.

Johnny Snow told her too. She's got all the evidence in the world telling her there's no afterlife. Keeping the faith! Princess that's promised!

Captain Splendid
Jan 7, 2009

Qu'en pense Caffarelli?

BigglesSWE posted:

I really miss Jonathan Pryce.

Jim Broadbent ain't a bad replacement

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

fromsinkingsands posted:

Is there anyone in this thread that actually enjoys the show? I agree with the fact that they've killed off a lot of great characters/actors but I'm still thoroughly enjoying this season.

It's fun, I thought season 5 was the only truly dire one honestly

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Not all religions believe in an afterlife or are even that concerned with what comes after death, IIRC Judaism is probably the most notable example of that.

override367
Apr 29, 2013

nopantsjack posted:

When the necromancer guy brings cersei to see balerions skull I was like "oh poo poo he's gonna resurrect balerion, the giant dragon skull was a chekhovs gun!

Then it turned out that he'd just invented a ballista which is a stupid plot for a black wizard

Don't the books mention ballista being used against dragons back in the targ wars with the rhoynar or whoever it was

There's a chapter where Tyrion is watching mercenaries try and shoot drogon (flying incredibly fast at high altitudes) with a ballista and laughing internally at how idiotic that is iirc

Zippy the Bummer
Dec 14, 2008

Silent Majority
The Don
LORD COMMANDER OF THE UKRAINIAN ARMED FORCES
The only instance from the books of the Seven maybe being real was that one priest-monk on the Quiet Isle that maybe perhaps might have magical healing abilities.

aBagorn
Aug 26, 2004

esperterra posted:

If you want to see just how bad Clarke is, look up clips of her short run as Holly Golightly in Breakfast at Tiffany's.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=fgNRgUBtcGg

REALLY late to the party, but I went to see this.

That doesn't do justice to how bad it was. I left at intermission

TXT BOOTY7 2 47474
Jan 12, 2006

eat your vegetables dot com

lezard_valeth posted:

Did they ever pronounce R'hllor's name in the show or has it always been called The Lord of Light? I just realised that I want to hear how you pronounce a stupid name like R'hllor

you shouldnt have trouble pronouncing that word its very simple

and yes theyve said it on the show

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

aBagorn posted:

Ouch.

Yudo
May 15, 2003

PostNouveau posted:

Oh, did she bow out? All of the articles about it just say "The original pilot sucked, so they recast some people."

I read that Merchant didn't want to do it after the disastrous pilot rather than being fired. Gurm is even quoted somewhere saying how much he liked Merchant in "The Tudors" where she a) acted competently if not well and b) was clearly chill being naked on screen. He was disappointed she left.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Feels Villeneuve posted:

It's fun, I thought season 5 was the only truly dire one honestly

:agreed:

It's not high art or anything, but the show's very enjoyable even with all its dumb poo poo.

InFlames235
Jan 13, 2004

LIKE THE WAVES IN THE OCEAN I WILL DIG IN YOUR FAT AND SEARCH FOR YOUR CLITORIS, BUT I WON'T SLAM WHALE

Hold on for 2 hour episodes next season.

DISCO KING
Oct 30, 2012

STILL
TRYING
TOO
HARD

Punkin Spunkin posted:

It was never like, a profound series or anything, but I had more fun when it was poo poo like this, and less like...giant zombie armies
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O8ES_ElI6Wg
it may just be a part of the book narrative, I haven't read them, but I hear they're released in decreasing quality

The best part is that scene was never in the books. Both GRRM and the showrunners were doing genuinely good work in the beginning. I don't think either of them will find a good way to end this series. GRRM will die trying and the showrunners probably won't give much of a gently caress in the end.

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!

Pac-Manioc Root posted:

I am in the minority who liked Bernie Sparrow.

My favorite was when he managed to outfox Olenna Tyrell.
"Release my daughter or we will stop shipping grain to King's Landing and we'll make the smallfolk know it's because if you."
"Oh? And tell me do you till the soil? Do you harvest the wheat? By your own hand?"

A good way of showing his take on Varys' koan about where power actually lies without being completely on the nose.

Not sure this follows. Smallfolk will do as they do, but people like Olenna would control the direction of the supply train.

aBagorn posted:

I only watched the clip, but her accent is loving horrible. Not sure about the acting; I'm not a good critic there. But Dany Golightly sounds like one of those Americans who moves to London and tries (and fails) to speak the part. Like Gwyneth Paltrow or Madonna, but worse.

ed: ah, here we go. Hollywood Reporter:

quote:

Part of that is due to the miscasting of Clarke, best known as the platinum-haired Khaleesi uber-babe in HBO’s Game of Thrones. Reverting to brunette, she looks slinky and soignée in Colleen Atwood’s elegant period gowns, even if the details of the Oscar-winning designer’s costumes tend to get lost onstage in her first Broadway assignment. But Clarke doesn’t demonstrate the maturity to convey Holly’s unique dichotomy of breezy insouciance and jaded calculation. It takes skill and subtlety for a British actor to play an American hillbilly who wears her acquired sophistication like a satin sheath, and Clarke’s delivery mostly comes off as effortful over-enunciation. Her Hollywood mentor O.J. (Lee Wilkof) describes Holly as “a phony,” but clarifies, “she’s a real phony.” Those distinguishing layers are lost here. The most crucial missing component from Clarke’s performance is vulnerability. There’s neither softness nor fragility in her grating Holly, even when she’s subjected to the hardest knocks.

Propaganda Machine fucked around with this message at 11:28 on Jul 29, 2017

EatinCake
Oct 21, 2008

InFlames235 posted:

Hold on for 2 hour episodes next season.

That would be fantastic. Twin Peaks the return has been great because while there's a bunch of characters, David Lynch has 18 hours to work with and so there's plenty of time to meander without it feeling squandered.

The last two or so episodes pretty much have to be two hours long, right? But it'd be neat if they just extended that to the rest of the season.

HBO should just write them a blank check and let them end this in the most unconstrained means possible. They'd probably make back the investment with spin-off's anyway if they land their footing.

aBagorn posted:

Can't judge too harshly off a youtube clip, but she sounds a lot like Sally Bowles from Cabaret.

EatinCake fucked around with this message at 18:46 on Jul 29, 2017

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

Propaganda Machine posted:

Not sure this follows. Smallfolk will do as they do, but people like Olenna would control the direction of the supply train.

I think if she came back with that Bernie Sparrow would ask who drives the carts, who tends the mules, etc. Again the answer is smallfolk not noble lords.

And yeah when it gets to it you could stop them at swordpoint but who's holding the swords?

That was his whole game. Interested to see his fate in the book.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
The sept blowing up is a momentous-enough event that I assume it has to happen in the books. Probably during Margaery's trial. They've even somewhat hinted at wildfire under the Great Sept, and Cersei becoming Aerys before.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

I wouldn't be surprised if it happens.

I also wouldn't be surprised if they just merged her burning the Tower of the Hand with tying up loose ends for the final seasons.

fwiw I think it's more likely Cersei uses the wildfire again in the books. Especially after that shame walk.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Why haven't we seen Howland Reed?

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

He was in the ToJ flashback.

Yestermoment
Jul 27, 2007

Vegetable posted:

Why haven't we seen Howland Reed?

Who is that?

- Everyone

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

esperterra posted:

He was in the ToJ flashback.

and wasn't a swamp guy. lame.

Kromlech
Jun 28, 2017

by FactsAreUseless

Yestermoment posted:

Who is that?

- Everyone
Jojen & Meera's papa

http://gameofthrones.wikia.com/wiki/Howland_Reed

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Think they're gonna kill Gray Worm this season or next? I think it'll be this season and that's why they jammed the love scene in here. I think it's just a minor enough death of a semi-regular character that could have gotten missed in what appears to be completely accurate leaked spoilers. Plus, they need to kill someone we care about each season and Thoros ain't gonna do it.

benzine
Oct 21, 2010
Don't mess with Thoros please. Grey Worm can be fish bait as far as I'm concerned

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Ask me about Briar Rose and Chicken Chaser.

benzine posted:

Don't mess with Thoros please. Grey Worm can be fish bait as far as I'm concerned

1-800-DOCTORB
Nov 6, 2009

Kromlech posted:

Jojen & Meera

Who is that?

- Everyone

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

melisandre obviously thinks there should be an afterlife hence my question about worshiping the god after you find out there's nothing at the end.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Groovelord Neato posted:

melisandre obviously thinks there should be an afterlife hence my question about worshiping the god after you find out there's nothing at the end.

Well she's like 400 or something, so it's paying off for her regardless.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Plus she can do, like, magic.

Caros
May 14, 2008

Groovelord Neato posted:

She can probably also justify it to herself that the God wipes their memories of paradise, or that they end up in purgatory since it wasn't their time yet etc.

A zealot of any sort will twist themselves into knots before admitting a mistake.

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

looks like we have a bad transmitter

Groovelord Neato posted:

I mean, if you believe in a god and it has real, physical power in the real world and someone tells you theres just oblivion on the other side would it really matter? I'd probably double down since I do actually have magic now and theres fuckall waiting for me. That's one thing I've never understood about religion in that if there's some wonderful bullshit waiting for you then why do you stick around?

Kromlech
Jun 28, 2017

by FactsAreUseless

TK-42-1 posted:

. That's one thing I've never understood about religion in that if there's some wonderful bullshit waiting for you then why do you stick around?
Doing a suicide cancels all your afterlife points and sends you straight to hell. Shame, really.

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through

Caros posted:

She can probably also justify it to herself that the God wipes their memories of paradise, or that they end up in purgatory since it wasn't their time yet etc.

A zealot of any sort will twist themselves into knots before admitting a mistake.

She literally brought a dude back to life, I'm not sure she's made much of a mistake. She was never like "Aha, you've been to the ethereal realm of ever joy yes?" she was just like "yoooo what did you see, did you see god, was it cool?" if I'm remembering the scene correctly. She seemed to just assume something was there, but didn't have a specific idea.

She also asked Beric that, and was kinda surprised at his answer. Like, she wants an afterlife, but she also sees the future, convinces people she's a hot young lady and raises the dead.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

We also had that scene of old hag Mellisandra questioning her faith.

• Locked thread