Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hyper Crab Tank
Feb 10, 2014

The 16-bit retro-future of crustacean-based transportation

Kavak posted:

Was this song originally in Japanese? Might be translation issues.

It's not translated at all. The song was originally in Japanese, but the lyrics are completely different in that version, and the theme is only kind of in the same ballpark but not the same. The only thing that's the same is the music. They asked the performer (I forget her name) to write completely new lyrics for the English version and just gave her a few guidelines as to what they should be about. It's also worth noting that even if you're playing in Japanese, the game plays the English version here regardless. We'll hear the Japanese version later.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.

Beekeeping and You
Sep 27, 2011

The pod saying "Report: Pleasant!" when you pet it is the cutest thing ever :3:

I may have been playing this game a lot in my own time. It's so goddamn good.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

The Watercrown posted:

Point 2: Weight of the World is a good song, but I have problems with some of the lyrics. I can't be the only who thinks that 'This is my redemption song' is a tad on the nose.

Couldn't help but think of this song by the megas, since they make a big cheesy deal out of that exact line.

Jagged Jim
Sep 26, 2013

I... I can only look though the window...

:eyepop:

bpACH
Apr 5, 2009

The Dark Id posted:

Her skirt is torn from the final phase of the Eve fight onward. The gently caress do you want out of me?

When did 2B and 9S lose their blindfolds?

bpACH fucked around with this message at 15:24 on Jul 30, 2017

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

bpACH posted:

9S loses it when he attacks Eve with the giant junk hand causing an explosion

2B loses it shortly afterwards when she stabs Eve and is blown back

Elkyrie
Mar 18, 2014

bpACH posted:

In the fight. 2B loses it when she gets knocked back from that one cutscene blast, Id mentioned it. Presumably 9S had the same happen.

Warning for kind of off-topic :spergin: but I've seen it a couple of times in this thread too: I groan internally whenever someone calls 2B "gothic Lolita".
Honestly, nothing about her outfit is in any shape or form Lolita. The silhouette could get close to a Lolita silhouette if you squinted hard but that's about it. It's a fashion all about girls' modesty, and having a waist-high skirt slit deffo doesn't fit in that ruleset.

There's plenty more to discuss about that but I'll spare the thread.

Instead I'll be sad since I just remembered a friend laughing all the way through the end credits because "the lyrics are so dumb how can you even take this serious".

vdate
Oct 25, 2010

Not gonna lie, I was thinking this as soon as I saw the choke-out screenshot. I was wondering how long it would take for somebody to make the joke.

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.

Elkyrie posted:

In the fight. 2B loses it when she gets knocked back from that one cutscene blast, Id mentioned it. Presumably 9S had the same happen.

Warning for kind of off-topic :spergin: but I've seen it a couple of times in this thread too: I groan internally whenever someone calls 2B "gothic Lolita".
Honestly, nothing about her outfit is in any shape or form Lolita. The silhouette could get close to a Lolita silhouette if you squinted hard but that's about it. It's a fashion all about girls' modesty, and having a waist-high skirt slit deffo doesn't fit in that ruleset.

There's plenty more to discuss about that but I'll spare the thread.

Instead I'll be sad since I just remembered a friend laughing all the way through the end credits because "the lyrics are so dumb how can you even take this serious".

Your friend isn't exactly wrong, the lyrics echo a billion bad translations where "sounding normal to english speakers" takes a backseat to translating as literally as possible

LordAba
Oct 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

GeneX posted:

Your friend isn't exactly wrong, the lyrics echo a billion bad translations where "sounding normal to english speakers" takes a backseat to translating as literally as possible

Yeah, Emi Evans is no Chad Kroeger, that's for sure.

Know Such Peace
Dec 30, 2008
The boob/back windows, revealing dress skirt, and thigh-high boots are definitely not representative of gothic lolita style, but YorHa dresses still share a lot in common with the aesthetic. The headband, hair style, and skirt pattern would fit with a normal lolita coordinate, and toobie’s shoulders and wrists are properly covered. Her posture and demeanor also fit with the style.

My headcanon is that 6O helped design the dresses based on historical records, but she selectively skimped on modesty.

Monocled Falcon
Oct 30, 2011
My headcanon is that anime was a mistake.

LordAba
Oct 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Monocled Falcon posted:

My headcanon is that anime was a mistake.

My headcannon shoots balloons and confetti. Does that make me a machine?

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying

GeneX posted:

But someone just said upthread that it's not a translation at all.

Elkyrie
Mar 18, 2014

LordAba posted:

My headcannon shoots balloons and confetti. Does that make me a machine?

Have you become as gods yet?

CryingAthena
Nov 12, 2013
I had to double-check but uh, yeah, in the credit segment under the title "SONG" you can find Yoko Taro.
Just kinda hanging out on the OST, I guess?
Or were "This cannot continue" and "Become as gods" purely lifted from another one of those episodes of Yoko Taro rolling on the floor and ad-libbing poo poo?

Wonderslug
Apr 3, 2011

You don't say.
Fallen Rib
I will happily fight anyone who dumps on most of N:A's soundtrack, but I'm in the "that song is stupid" camp. The lyrics are schmaltzy and on-the-nose and musically it sounds like someone crammed that goddamn Titanic song into Microsoft Songsmith. If you can hear "This...is...my REdemption song" without hearing "Near... far...wherEVer you are" you have led a blessedly innocent existence.

The Dark Id
Aug 13, 2005

Why
you
know
I
LOVE
THIS SHIT !!!!
[citation needed]

Episode LXV: Brother

New Music: Significance v2

We have completed NieR: Automata. Well... its first ending route at least. I’ve use the term “route” for a bit now while we’ve approached Ending A. That isn’t an entirely accurate term. NieR: Automata does things a bit differently than previous Drakenier games. It’s not like Drakengard 1 and 3 where the storyline splits off in weird directions at certain parts of the narrative. And it’s DEFINITELY not like Drakengard 2 where you just replay the entire loving game at a higher difficulty just to get a different five minute conclusion. There’s 12 hours of my life I’ll never get back... It is not entirely like the original NieR, where we replay the game from a certain point with new plot elements bolted on, either.

Well, OK... maybe it’s a bit like that last one. Initially. Even if the format and execution is rather different. We’re going to be loading up our clear game data. We’ve still got a ways to go to fill up that entire alphabet of endings, don’t we? Anyway, from here we can start a new game and see what Route B has to offer...

Obviously it doesn’t translate well to a screenshot, but it’s worth noting that the initial load screen gets slightly distorted, like the network connection isn’t doing quite as hot, from here on out. I’m sure that’s fine.

Bro... ther...

*shakes dead machine* Brother... Brother...

*continues shaking machine* Brother... Brother...

Brother... Please start moving... Brother...

So meet our new protagonist for Route B: This delightful little Stubby boy. It seems we’re back in the Abandoned Factory. It’s quite a mess here with all the destroyed machines littering the area. But perhaps among this wreckage we can find the key in our quest to restore the Stubby’s big brother to life.

Being a wee tot machine lifeform, our only means of locomotion are slowly teetering along with our wind-up toy feet or taking a cue from Stubbies we’ve fought in the past and bunny hopping our way about the area. The latter proves to be much quicker.

Around the corner from where we begin, Stubby finds an old pipe gushing crude oil into a grating. At least... I hope it is oil. Regardless, the little guy decides that’s the key to restoring his brother. We just need something to carry it with now. I don’t think the Stubby cupping his hands is gonna work too well.

As luck would have it, there’s a conveniently placed pile of old buckets in the nearby corner. And here I was all ready to go full adventure game in having to find a piece of sheet metal which we would need to bend into shape using an old tire hubcap. Then we’d have to combine the hubcap with some wax we collected from another container that was guarded by a machine that only allowed other machines with the proper mustache to access. So we’d have to go get some cat hair and... Bah! Never mind. Let’s just take this bucket and go...

Alright. We’re good to go. Now it’s just a matter of walking this bucket of oil back to our brother. The key phrase being “walking” here. Attempting to bunny hop will immediately spill the contents of the bucket all over the place. So that’s not going to work. Also...

Nnnhh... Brother...

We’ve got to watch our step here. Our stubby little legs can’t make it over pipes without tripping and face-planting is counter-productive to our transportation of this bucket of oil. Luckily, that oil pipe doesn’t seem to be running dry anytime soon.

We’ll just take it slow and steady this time and Brother will be fixed up in no time. Our quest is nearly at its end!

Brother... Brother...

Now c’mon, 9S. Machines can absolutely be brothers. I just don’t think all that oil is going to fix that dead machine anytime soon. RIP Brother Machine.

9S’s nerd calculations on his Minority Report rear end display is interrupted by a distant rumbling from the sky.

It’s all happening again... Welcome back to the Prologue of NieR: Automata. Up in those distance skies, an android is about to get blown to bits because some human overseer was a dipshit that decided to start the game on Hard difficulty.

So perhaps we were jumping the gun with declaring that Stubby the new protagonist of the game. That’s not the case at all. It’s actually 9S. Route B is replaying the game thus far from 9S’s perspective. Which leads to significant differences... at the beginning and end of the game. There are new scenes added throughout the rest of the game but... I’m gonna be heavily abridging most of the main plot missions we’ve already seen.

But that’s getting ahead of ourselves. We’ve got a radio communication from 9S’s Operator -- 21O. 21O had like one line in the entirety of Route A. We’ll be hearing a lot more from her this go around since she takes 6O’s place for all equivalent conversations.

9S here. Go ahead.
The YoRHa troops have commenced their descent. Disable the enemy base’s defense systems immediately.
Roger that!

9S’s Flight Unit is parked down below. We could rush down there and commence the mission getting things ready for 2B to begin her scenario. But... ehh...

I’m not really feeling another shmup section just yet. That Grün fight kinda burnt me out on that whole gameplay type. Let’s go find some machines to test out 9S’s abilities first.

9S comes partnered with his own Pod, Pod 153. It has a pleasant lady voice. It also doesn’t seem to be thrilled with 9S ditching his responsibilities. Chill out, Pod. We’ll just be a min—

9S! You’ve created a Time Paradox! You can’t go changing the future like that! You have to understand the future!

Video: Route B Opening
(You should watch this.)

9S Render – What if 2B was the Tails this entire time and we didn’t know it...?

Zandar
Aug 22, 2008

Sindai posted:

The lyrics aren't a direct translation of the Japanese version, but it still wasn't written by a perfectly fluent English speaker.

The Dark Id
Aug 13, 2005

Why
you
know
I
LOVE
THIS SHIT !!!!
[citation needed]
Also everyone shut the gently caress up about your taste in lyrics. Nobody cares. That discussion has ended because it won't go anywhere productive. Your favorite song has bad lyrics too because 99.9% of song lyrics are dumb as poo poo.

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

I goddamn wish we were playing as a stubby.

InfinityComplex
Feb 5, 2011

Nothing better than swinging around a little girl like a flail.
When I first started this part, I immediately did this on accident. And then did it a couple more times until I realized where I had to go.

vdate
Oct 25, 2010
Well, I guess we have to spend the entire route making fun of ourselves now.

Also, every time the stubby (or Eve, really) said 'brother' I had to fight the impulse to make Liquid's ridiculous arm gesture. MGS has done bad things to me.

Double-also, can you see 9S watching from his girder while you're playing as the stubby?

vdate fucked around with this message at 17:48 on Jul 30, 2017

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100

The Dark Id posted:

Also everyone shut the gently caress up about your taste in lyrics. Nobody cares. That discussion has ended because it won't go anywhere productive. Your favorite song has bad lyrics too because 99.9% of song lyrics are dumb as poo poo.

Are you saying, perhaps, that this cannot continue?

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

InfinityComplex posted:

When I first started this part, I immediately did this on accident. And then did it a couple more times until I realized where I had to go.

Same

Bonus points to Yoko Taro for making g people replay the oil bucket fetch every loving time it plays because you're back in the factory without any savepoints.

really queer Christmas
Apr 22, 2014

GeneX posted:

:same:

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

GeneX posted:

Sorry Stubby, it's 9s's time to shine.

Does he get longer pants in this route? Is that the end result of his character arc?

oath2order
Oct 12, 2013

It's MAGIC. I don't have to explain shit!

I really enjoy the Brother Stubby The bar you trip over being placed right where you will inevitably walk over it normally is pretty hilariously dickish. What's more dickish is putting that very tedious section of the game right before a fake ending.

Anyways, Route B is a lot like Nier's B ending, in that it's a lot more fun to experience the plot changes than it is to actually play through all that game again. It's only a little shorter in playtime than route A, but I'd expect darkid to get through it in about a third of the time.

Zomborgon
Feb 19, 2014

I don't even want to see what happens if you gain CHIM outside of a pre-coded system.

vdate posted:

Also, every time the stubby (or Eve, really) said 'brother' I had to fight the impulse to make Liquid's ridiculous arm gesture. MGS has done bad things to me.

I didn't hear a lot of Eve's dumb boss speech because I kept growling BROTHERRRRRR throughout the whole fight.

Umister
Dec 24, 2007

That poor stubby. Speaking of, guess which (official?) figurines were announced at SDCC?

If someone can let me know what the recommended photo hosting site is these days (imgur isn't linking correctly?) I'll also add a photo of a very relevant t-shirt that Square Enix will be putting up for pre-order sometime soon. In the meantime, here's the direct link?
http://imgur.com/a/bxntc

Umister fucked around with this message at 18:33 on Jul 30, 2017

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal
Aww yeah, it's time for Nines to do his thing baby. Gonna hack stuff, send machines to the scrap yard and pick up all the chicks along the way. :cool:

Hyper Crab Tank
Feb 10, 2014

The 16-bit retro-future of crustacean-based transportation

Sindai posted:

The English vocalist, J'Nique Nicole, wrote the English lyrics. (Emi Evans doesn't sing the English one.) There is an interview with her on the official website where she says it flat out, but I'm not sure I should link it just in case it has spoilers in it.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway

GeneX posted:

It would've been drakengard as hell go from playing the game as a sexy and stylish protagonist with a fast and elegant combat system and then have to replay it as a sad stubby robot who keeps falling over

Explosions
Apr 20, 2015

Deep Dish Fuckfest posted:

Aww yeah, it's time for Nines to do his thing baby. Gonna hack stuff, send machines to the scrap yard and pick up all the chicks along the way. :cool:

Analysis: 9S will not pick up any chicks.

Woodbeam
Dec 30, 2012
Playing this made me wonder whether the original Nier was planned to have you play Kaine during route B.

The Dark Id posted:

9S Render – What if 2B was the Tails this entire time and we didn’t know it...?

TailsB and 9Sonic.

My god...

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl
Stubby superior protagonist.

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

Woodbeam posted:

Playing this made me wonder whether the original Nier was planned to have you play Kaine during route B.

Problem is that she comes in like an act late to the story and spends an entire dungeon's worth of time trapped in stone. But it seems possible.

Now, an Emil route...

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

Explosions posted:

Analysis: 9S will not pick up any chicks.

His pod is his only love.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
enjoy redoing that oil bucket thing after getting that joke ending :suicide:

• Locked thread