Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.
lol "Time's Arrow" is like a loving Dr Who episode. What a :flaccid: to TNG S05, which was really building up to a be a good one with some amazing closing hits.

I think I'm going to pretend The Inner Light was the actual S05 finale but someone hosed up the admin.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

The Bloop posted:

And it was a "real" rank, so he could order around the grunts that do all the work, not just other medical personnel!

He was drafted and given the rank of captain. He was in a medical unit, so yes, he could tell them what to do. Also, it was a TV show.

CharlieWhiskey
Aug 18, 2005

everything, all the time

this is the world

JeremoudCorbynejad posted:

lol "Time's Arrow" is like a loving Dr Who episode. What a :flaccid: to TNG S05, which was really building up to a be a good one with some amazing closing hits.

I think I'm going to pretend The Inner Light was the actual S05 finale but someone hosed up the admin.

:yossame:

Trickjaw
Jun 23, 2005
Nadie puede dar lo que no tiene

I hate to be defeatist, but it seems awfully likely Trek is hosed to death.

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Ask me about Briar Rose and Chicken Chaser.
Watching Tin Man. Nothing major happening yet but I'm excited just because of the title

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Interested to know why the Enterprise officers who recognize this guy like him so much they were directed to smile until their faces hurt.

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Troi knows the guy coming aboard, I wonder if she'll get seduced by him.

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

I love that the telepath is startled by Data.

I somehow missed exactly what he's supposed to be doing aboard the enterprise in the cold open.

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Data just said D'aradex cruiser, does that count as a contraction?

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

I have to give them credit for another betazoid characterization that makes sense. Between Troi, her mother, and The Sleazeman, I thought they'd covered all the interesting ways a telepathic personality could work.

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Whoa, Tin Man might be a powerful telepath

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Those orchestral hits when the Romulan ship reveals itself are the most forceful I've heard in the soundtrack up to this point.

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Holy poo poo. it's suicidal

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Trickjaw posted:

Maybe Discovery is a stalking horse to get that fan love heat ignited again, like has happened with like every other TV sci fi serial in history.

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Nice biological set.

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

THEY'RE NOT GONNA EXPLAIN HOW DATA GOT BACK!?

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Jeb! Repetition posted:

THEY'RE NOT GONNA EXPLAIN HOW DATA GOT BACK!?

"Tin Man returned me to the Enterprise"

Oh uh, okay

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

That episode had a good premise, but the execution... I can't put my finger on exactly why it didn't grab me. I spent a lot of it confused about exactly what was going on and what I was supposed to be feeling.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Jeb! Repetition posted:

That episode had a good premise, but the execution... I can't put my finger on exactly why it didn't grab me. I spent a lot of it confused about exactly what was going on and what I was supposed to be feeling.

Yea you summed up my feelings on that episode as well. Just didn't work for me.

shadok
Dec 12, 2004

You tried to destroy it once before, Commodore.
The result was a wrecked ship and a dead crew.
Fun Shoe
It's flawed but it's one of my absolute favourites.

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

Jeb! Repetition posted:

Data just said D'aradex cruiser, does that count as a contraction?

No. It is no different than an apostrophe denoting possession. It is a Romulan word, not informal English syntax.

Hope you wanted the most Data-esque reply possible.

Low Desert Punk
Jul 4, 2012

i have absolutely no fucking money

Trickjaw posted:

There will be Trek in some form or fashion long after we're dead. If (when?) Discovery flops because of CBS' inane streaming service, we might not see it for a while, but it will always come back.

Orv
May 4, 2011
I mean gently caress, they're making new Stargate, and Stargate is entirely a thing for gigantic nerds, it doesn't have any cultural impact like Star Trek or Star Wars.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

It also ran for seventeen cumulative seasons, and SG-1 is the second longest running American sci-fi series ever. Of course they want those dollar signs.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

And of course its a prequel.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
The Stargate thing is a prequel? How do you do a prequel of stargate? Is it just an air force missile base procedural?

vermin
Feb 28, 2017

Help, I've turned into a manifestation of mental disorders as viewed through an early 20th century lens sparked by the disparity between man and modern society and I can't get up

Cojawfee posted:

The Stargate thing is a prequel? How do you do a prequel of stargate? Is it just an air force missile base procedural?

The smart prequel move would have a series set in ancient Egypt and the weird royal court centering around these evil space aliens.

So it won't be that.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Cojawfee posted:

It's in the 20s when they initially discover the gate. Central character is the old lady who got Daniel Jackson involved in the program.

Also sounded like it's just a miniseries but they haven't given much in the way of details.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

Despite multiple attempts I've never been able to make it past Season 1 of SG-1. It's just so... not good.

And you can only see the same forest in British Columbia so many times before you get bored out your gourd.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Is the Stargate series sort of "instead of" the movie?

As in, there is no continuity of any kind between them?

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

The series is a direct sequel to the movie.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
So you don't watch any modern science fiction show where they go to alien planets?

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

They're related, but the show vastly expands the concept and also makes O'neill likeable.

Platonicsolid
Nov 17, 2008

And the show is distinctly more militaristic...although my memory of the movie is fairly fuzzy.

vermin
Feb 28, 2017

Help, I've turned into a manifestation of mental disorders as viewed through an early 20th century lens sparked by the disparity between man and modern society and I can't get up

Platonicsolid posted:

And the show is distinctly more militaristic...although my memory of the movie is fairly fuzzy.

I always appreciated Stargate's uniforms more than Star Trek's cause they looked functional. I don't think the future's in catsuits or sweaters.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
It seems to be about the old woman who finds Daniel in the film, but when she was younger. So, from what I remember, that would mean the stargate isn't activated?

CharlieWhiskey
Aug 18, 2005

everything, all the time

this is the world

Blade_of_tyshalle posted:

They're related, but the show vastly expands the concept and also makes O'neill likeable.

People, myself included, frequently forget that O'Neill's intro in the movie appears to be him strongly considering suicide. Quite a leap to RDA's snarky persona, but obv likeable.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
One of my favourite things I've read about the Stargate movie is that Spader signed on to play Daniel Jackson because he thought the script was one of the worst things he'd read and he was morbidly interested in seeing if they could make a working movie out of it.

Platonicsolid
Nov 17, 2008

vermin posted:

I always appreciated Stargate's uniforms more than Star Trek's cause they looked functional. I don't think the future's in catsuits or sweaters.

I meant more the tone - scientists were regularly shown to be weak or naive, plenty of issues eventually wound up being solved with force. Part and parcel, sure, but it was a lot more problematic when I went back to watch some episodes, which may say more about me and our current context than the show itself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

vermin posted:

Aren't they basically actual military uniforms? (It's been forever since I've seen an episode, I never really sat down and followed the show)