Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Jeb! Repetition posted:

So can't Data just threaten to break all the poo poo in here?

...huh, that would have been a good idea.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Ask me about Briar Rose and Chicken Chaser.
Wesley keeps turning from the camera and smiling as they walk through Data's room, believing he's dead

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

YAR

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Thinking about how sad and a little weird it would be to mourn an android friend. I wonder if Data will get to see his own funeral Tom Sawyer style.

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

"Is it part of your programming to seek out vulnerability in your enemies?"
"Yes. Are you my enemy?"

Good stuff.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

WampaLord posted:

...huh, that would have been a good idea.

Not really in Data's character though. I remember reading a review of this episode a while back where the reviewer commented how much the episode depends on Data's patience and politeness -- his counter example was to imagine what this episode would be like if the guy kidnapped Riker or Worf.

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Great drama of Geordi being a conspiracy theorist and everybody else probably thinking he's mad with grief. Great writing in this episode all around.

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

"For an android with no feelings, he sure managed to evoke them"

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

God the Hamlet quote from Picard

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

skasion posted:

Not really in Data's character though. I remember reading a review of this episode a while back where the reviewer commented how much the episode depends on Data's patience and politeness -- his counter example was to imagine what this episode would be like if the guy kidnapped Riker or Worf.

Yeah I'm enjoying how much dignity he has.

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Did the collector just fake cry for a second

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

HE'S loving BURNING HIS CLOTHES OFF

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Geordi having a revelatory nightmare is good.

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

YAR

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

:pirate:

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Hahaha Data is brilliant

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Apologies, Mr. Worf

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Oh no

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Loving this fight scene with Data's super-strength.

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Son of a bitch

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Wait a second Data fired?

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
The Most Toys is one of those episodes, like Deja Q, where when I read the blurb on Netflix to figure out whether I want to skip it, I assume it's one of the generic fairly-good-but-not-great episodes that sorta blend together. Then I'm always pleasantly surprised.

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

That ending is creepy as gently caress when you consider Data tried killing him and also had no reason to visit him other than to gloat

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

I wonder why they chose a Jewish actor to play the greedy, deceptive trader who wears a yarmulke

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
This episode more than most supports the theory that Data has feelings he just doesn't recognize them as such.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

The Bloop posted:

This episode more than most supports the theory that Data has feelings he just doesn't recognize them as such.

I'm 90% sure that was the original concept for the character and they changed their minds for whatever reason a season or two in.

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Not to mention Data loving lied about firing the disruptor

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Ask me about Proposition 305

Do you like muskets?

Jeb! Repetition posted:

I wonder why they chose a Jewish actor to play the greedy, deceptive trader who wears a yarmulke

Because the original actor was found trying to suffocate himself in his car a few days after they started filming, so they grabbed whoever was walking past outside the soundstage.

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

The Bloop posted:

Yeah. I'd read it as text too if it weren't for the fact that everyone else on the show talks like he doesn't but then acts like he does. That makes it reads to me more as sloppy writing.

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.

Jeb! Repetition posted:

Apologies, Mr. Worf

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oxopd_qSVKo

vermin
Feb 28, 2017

Help, I've turned into a manifestation of mental disorders as viewed through an early 20th century lens sparked by the disparity between man and modern society and I can't get up

Jeb! Repetition posted:

to play the greedy, deceptive trader who wears a yarmulke

It predates Watto from Star Wars by 9 years

Star Trek's always thinking two steps ahead

shadok
Dec 12, 2004

You tried to destroy it once before, Commodore.
The result was a wrecked ship and a dead crew.
Fun Shoe

Jeb! Repetition posted:

This is the creepy behind-the-scenes story to that episode. The actor originally cast in the role was David Rappaport, the little person best known for being in "Time Bandits" and starring in the 80s TV show "The Wizard", if you remember that. He had a whole makeup job and everything, and completed at least one day of shooting on the episode.

He attempted suicide mid-way through the shoot and had to be replaced in a hurry with Saul Rubinek. There wasn't time to redo the makeup and obviously Rappaport's costume wouldn't fit so they had to fudge together what you saw. Rappaport survived that suicide attempt but shot himself two months later.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Most Toys is so good - huge episode for Data. Like, probably 2nd most important before Measure of A Man.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Jeb! Repetition posted:

This shot made me realize that the conference display is kind of ridiculous.

Another example of the screen being 3D.

vermin
Feb 28, 2017

Help, I've turned into a manifestation of mental disorders as viewed through an early 20th century lens sparked by the disparity between man and modern society and I can't get up

MikeJF posted:

Another example of the screen being 3D.

I remember hearing an Orville joke where they ask the person on the other screen to step into the center of the frame cause there's a lot of dead space there.

Please don't gently caress this up Macfarlane, I'm actually letting some hype creep in

shadok
Dec 12, 2004

You tried to destroy it once before, Commodore.
The result was a wrecked ship and a dead crew.
Fun Shoe
I have never understood why Data lies at the end about trying to shoot Kivas Fajo.

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Ask me about Proposition 305

Do you like muskets?

shadok posted:

I have never understood why Data lies at the end about trying to shoot Kivas Fajo.

Because he was turning into a real boy.

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

That was the most interesting Data's ever been at the end despite it being creepy. I hope they do something else with his developing emotions or some emotion-like thing in him that he can't understand or control.

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

I actually watched the ending a few more times to think about it. Brent Spiner did an amazing job. Don't know how anybody can think Data wasn't going to fire.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Jeb! Repetition posted:

I actually watched the ending a few more times to think about it. Brent Spiner did an amazing job. Don't know how anybody can think Data wasn't going to fire.

Since you just watched it, I have to ask you to refresh my fuzzy memory: does Data actually lie? I recall him saying something like "it must have discharged during transport" that is a technical truth he probably took ten billion cycles to calculate as good enough to stop the questions.