Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Jeb! Repetition posted:

That was the most interesting Data's ever been at the end despite it being creepy. I hope they do something else with his developing emotions or some emotion-like thing in him that he can't understand or control.

That would require continuity, which is the enemy of syndication

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer

vermin posted:

I remember hearing an Orville joke where they ask the person on the other screen to step into the center of the frame cause there's a lot of dead space there.

Please don't gently caress this up Macfarlane, I'm actually letting some hype creep in

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7qJZbruSdSk

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

shadok posted:

I have never understood why Data lies at the end about trying to shoot Kivas Fajo.

Both the writer and Spiner didn't like that but apparently it was insisted on by the higher-ups.

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

You are an odd fellow, but I must say... you throw a swell shindig.

McNally posted:

Because he was turning into a real boy.

Spoilers for Jeb!, but I was always a little disappointed that they dropped this concept for Data— that he was discovering some sort of "Tin Man" robot emotions were inside him all along— in favor of autistic "bleep bloop, I do not understand this emotion you call love" Data. I feel like they kind of reinvented the character in season four starting with that one where he's that blond girl's rebound.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Kibayasu posted:

Both the writer and Spiner didn't like that but apparently it was insisted on by the higher-ups.
What I recall was Data saying something along the lines of "Perhaps there was a discharge during transport."

I mean, he's Lore's brother. Of course he can be a stone cold motherfucker if he wants.

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Ask me about Briar Rose and Chicken Chaser.

The Bloop posted:

Since you just watched it, I have to ask you to refresh my fuzzy memory: does Data actually lie? I recall him saying something like "it must have discharged during transport" that is a technical truth he probably took ten billion cycles to calculate as good enough to stop the questions.

Well he says "perhaps something occurred during transport" which is a lie in all but the most literal sense.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Jeb! Repetition posted:

Well he says "perhaps something occurred during transport" which is a lie in all but the most literal sense.

Yeah but a literal android might very well be able to live with that

shadok
Dec 12, 2004

You tried to destroy it once before, Commodore.
The result was a wrecked ship and a dead crew.
Fun Shoe
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Jli5iP7UlA

Data hands the disruptor pistol to Riker, and Riker says "Mr. O'Brien said that the weapon was in a state of discharge." There's a long pause where Riker's expression is "did you shoot that motherfucker, and what are we putting in the official report?" Data goes through an odd series of frowny expressions that I guess indicate he's thinking, and then he says, "perhaps something occurred during transport, Commander." They stare each other down for a moment, then Data walks away and Riker exchanges a "holy poo poo" look with O'Brien.

The more I think about it, the more I realize that it kind of works. Data lying about trying to kill Fajo is almost as shocking as him actually doing it, in its own way.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

God, Brent Spiner's acting is so good there. When he says "I can not allow this to continue" you just realize that he's made his mind up and now nothing will stop him from carrying out his plan.

If Data ever went full Terminator, he'd be loving horrifying.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

Data should have asked Fajo how Daphne was doing.

(Sorry. I couldn't resist)

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
What the gently caress are Data's pants in that scene

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

cheetah7071 posted:

What the gently caress are Data's pants in that scene
I think they're plus fours, like Tintin.

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Oh god, please don't, it's bad enough I have to see Garrison in the political cartoon thread, let's not even give him the respect of discussing it.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Drink-Mix Man posted:

Spoilers for Jeb!, but I was always a little disappointed that they dropped this concept for Data— that he was discovering some sort of "Tin Man" robot emotions were inside him all along— in favor of autistic "bleep bloop, I do not understand this emotion you call love" Data. I feel like they kind of reinvented the character in season four starting with that one where he's that blond girl's rebound.

I suspect we can blame Michael Piller for that. Dude loved the "Pinocchio" concept so hard he wanted to retcon out the emotion chip out for Insurrection.

Granted, the emotion chip was an incredibly hamfisted way of going about having him pick up emotions, but in Fade In Piller straight up says he did not want Data to ever have emotions, at all.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

WampaLord posted:

God, Brent Spiner's acting is so good there. When he says "I can not allow this to continue" you just realize that he's made his mind up and now nothing will stop him from carrying out his plan.

Data is just doing his duty.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=29-iFOEOgIM

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Jeb! Repetition posted:

This shot made me realize that the conference display is kind of ridiculous.

It looks like he's starting at a Picard action figure

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

corn in the bible posted:

It looks like he's starting at a Picard action figure

He wishes he was.

primaltrash
Feb 11, 2008

(Thought-ful Croak)

WampaLord posted:

This cannot continue.

This cannot continue. This cannot continue. This cannot continue. This cannot continue. This cannot continue.

This cannot continuethiscannotcontinuethiscannotcontinuethiscannotcontinuethiscannotcontinuethiscannotcontinue

Mortanis
Dec 28, 2005

It's your father's lightsaber. This is the weapon of a Jedi Knight.
College Slice

WampaLord posted:

We kinda see the barest hint of what might almost be possible of Data going rogue in Brothers. Less "Terminator" and more "whatever the gently caress I want", but still.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

MillennialVulcan posted:

This cannot continue.

This cannot continue. This cannot continue. This cannot continue. This cannot continue. This cannot continue.

This cannot continuethiscannotcontinuethiscannotcontinuethiscannotcontinuethiscannotcontinuethiscannotcontinue

It's like arguing with the HDD indicator LED on your computer.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Stop. Stop. Stop it. Stop. Stop. Stop it.

Pararoid
Dec 6, 2005

Te Waipounamu pride
I might have missed this being posted, but then again so might someone else, so here it is again.

DS9 Season 4 Trailer
https://vimeo.com/227828163

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

WampaLord posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=29-iFOEOgIM&t=61s

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

It's really funny when Bashir is all excited after he meets Garak for the first time and wants to tell everybody about it.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Shibawanko posted:

It's really funny when Bashir is all excited after he meets Garak for the first time and wants to tell everybody about it.

His excitement about secret agent stuff becomes an arc that goes through the final season and it's introduced in episode 3 of DS9 along with Garak.

Good show.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

WampaLord posted:

Data got a homing beacon turned on inside of him by his dad, and one time some alien beings took him over. The Greatest Generation likes to jokingly wonder why Data isn't in irons constantly, because when Data goes bad, Data goes loving bad.

e: poo poo, he has some nightmares and he goes full-on Jason Voorhees on Troi.

MisterBibs fucked around with this message at 05:50 on Aug 3, 2017

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
Yeah but considering how often the meatbrains also get taken over by random aliens, I don't think Data's really any worse in that regard.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

Arglebargle III posted:

His excitement about secret agent stuff becomes an arc that goes through the final season and it's introduced in episode 3 of DS9 along with Garak.

Good show.

They're also completely gay for each other.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Yeah Troi gets taken over on the reg and does crazy poo poo like kick Worf's rear end and try to destroy the ship for finding the home planet of a bunch of xenophobic weirdos.

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

Trip report: DS9 season 3, episode 20 "Probable Cause"

One thing about watching this for the first time in 20 years, I remember some of the details and some of the big picture stuff, but sometimes not completely, and not exactly when it takes place. I remember the Tal Shiar taking a fleet to decapitate the Dominion by exterminating the Founders on their homeworld, but I didn't remember it included the Obsidian Order.

And I really thought I remembered, if you had asked me, that it took place much later, after open war broke out at the very least, and very likely I would've said it was when things were pretty desperate and it was nearly a last resort. I must have conflated it with something else.

But this brings up another point I have to make: something's been bothering me all season and that's the Romulans. They are really acting uncharacteristically, first with loaning a cloaking device for the Defiant, and later with this overt attack. I understand the justifications given, but I don't really buy them. I imagine it's a way to show the true strength of the Dominion and that they can out-Romulan even the Romulans themselves into creating a pretext for war that will destabilize and demoralize their enemies.

I mean who else is it going to be besides the Romulans I guess, to be that paranoid about a new power, but this is over the top even for them. The worst part is, I hate it because I know what happens, and I really want it to have worked. I prefer Sheridan's method in B5, and I hate the Dominion more than the Shadows (as entertainment). For most of the war it feels kinda like the Dominion is cheating, and there's very little I despise more.

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

You are an odd fellow, but I must say... you throw a swell shindig.

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

Granted, the emotion chip was an incredibly hamfisted way of going about having him pick up emotions, but in Fade In Piller straight up says he did not want Data to ever have emotions, at all.

In retrospect, the emotion chip was dramatically the weakest possible way for this character to reach that turning point. A lifelong journey of self-discovery and reaching for the improbable culminates in... somebody just gives it to him out of the blue. Lame.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

Drink-Mix Man posted:

In retrospect, the emotion chip was dramatically the weakest possible way for this character to reach that turning point. A lifelong journey of self-discovery and reaching for the improbable culminates in... somebody just gives it to him out of the blue. Lame.

This is honestly why I have a slight problem with the way in which The Doctor was handled (spoiled below just in case)

I like his character; he was one of the most interesting people on Voyager. The issue is that The Doctor never had to put too much work into his personal growth. For him, it was always just a matter of adding some new algorithms to his program so that he could sing, travel outside sickbay, daydream, etc. When you're a program with features that can be added at will, the journey of self-discovery means less than someone who has to earn that same experience through blood, sweat and tears.

Angry Salami
Jul 27, 2013

Don't trust the skull.

turn left hillary!! noo posted:

But this brings up another point I have to make: something's been bothering me all season and that's the Romulans. They are really acting uncharacteristically, first with loaning a cloaking device for the Defiant, and later with this overt attack. I understand the justifications given, but I don't really buy them. I imagine it's a way to show the true strength of the Dominion and that they can out-Romulan even the Romulans themselves into creating a pretext for war that will destabilize and demoralize their enemies.

I really wish DS9 had kept around the Romulan officer from 'The Search', or at least had some other recurring Romulan character. We never really got their point of view, and it made the Romulan stories we got feel a bit disconnected - I mean, we get the whole thing with Sisko tricking the Romulans into the war, but it's not as meaningful as it could have been since we never got a Romulan Martok after that to push their agenda and viewpoint. Hell, we barely saw the Romulans in the war!

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

Angry Salami posted:

I really wish DS9 had kept around the Romulan officer from 'The Search', or at least had some other recurring Romulan character. We never really got their point of view, and it made the Romulan stories we got feel a bit disconnected - I mean, we get the whole thing with Sisko tricking the Romulans into the war, but it's not as meaningful as it could have been since we never got a Romulan Martok after that to push their agenda and viewpoint. Hell, we barely saw the Romulans in the war!

Yeah, I've thought this for a long time too. And as an added benefit, it would probably mean Martha Hackett would have fuller schedule with DS9 and thus we'd be spared Seska from VOY.

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

Some motherfuckers are always trying to ice-skate uphill

I've seen a lot of bizarre ben garrison cartoons, but this one takes the cake. :psyduck:

Low Desert Punk
Jul 4, 2012

i have absolutely no fucking money
The biggest failure in the entire Star Trek franchise imo is how badly they handled the Romulans. You could probably count on one hand the amount of episodes where Romulans are actually used in a consistent, interesting way

Beowulfs_Ghost
Nov 6, 2009

F_Shit_Fitzgerald posted:

The issue is that The Doctor never had to put too much work into his personal growth.

The Doctor could plug in skills, but he still had to figure out how to use them appropriately. The lesson also worked the other way when he learned that unwanted memories couldn't just be edited out.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

turn left hillary!! noo posted:

For most of the war it feels kinda like the Dominion is cheating, and there's very little I despise more.

Yeah I feel like DS9 basically has the Dominion on the brink of overrunning the Federation right up until they've been pushed back to Cardassia Prime, and even then it's all "~ooh~ if we don't get them now they'll somehow build a massive killer space fleet and overrun us in like a year or two"

and then the changeling is all "nuhhh how do we know you're not gonna come kick our rear end in the Gamma Quadrant" and dude what the gently caress how could that possibly be a thing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

Yeah I feel like DS9 basically has the Dominion on the brink of overrunning the Federation right up until they've been pushed back to Cardassia Prime, and even then it's all "~ooh~ if we don't get them now they'll somehow build a massive killer space fleet and overrun us in like a year or two"

and then the changeling is all "nuhhh how do we know you're not gonna come kick our rear end in the Gamma Quadrant" and dude what the gently caress how could that possibly be a thing
With regards to the former, I thought the concern was that they'd eventually be reinforced, either through the wormhole or by some ridiculous armada of Jem'hadar hyperwarp ships. Or they'd crank out huge numbers of Jem'hadar and ships with the Cardies' equipment because their backs were to the wall. Or they'd start doing poo poo like trying to make suns go nova.

With regards to the latter, this was a giant paranoia on the part of the changelings, and in their defense, Alpha Quadrant people had attacked them twice in less than seven years, at their homeworld no less.