Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

Looking cute, feeling cute.

zegermans posted:

Same thing they're both mistakes full of reactionaries

This is triggering the gently caress out of me because I've lived in both places. Kentucky is a trip because of it's huge class divide issues from the coal mining people hating the rest of the state, and the rest of the state hating them, and it's just weird. With Kansas, you just get these bizarre ghost towns from contractors leaving the state despite all of these "pro-business" Brownback laws that completely backfired. They're both bizarre in their own different way because Kentucky has no one as iconoclastic as the Koch Brothers but Kansas has no one as gallingly corrupt as McConnell.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

deadgoon posted:

i went into a panera bread the other day and immediately felt out of place and went right back outside and across the street to a wendy's

a lot of people don't know this but panera bread doesn't even have a dollar menu

panera bread sent out emails a while back talking all about the 'bad things' that weren't in their food, like human hair

i see why the DSA finds them appealing

Rand alPaul
Feb 3, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo
I've never liked eating at Panera Bread.

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

hahaha yes this si going to go extremely well

Man Musk
Jan 13, 2010

https://twitter.com/spacekatgal/status/892216121939685376

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

Broken Clock

Donkwich
Feb 28, 2011

Grimey Drawer
the right to destroy cities with moon rocks

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

https://twitter.com/MichaelPacholek/status/892903836700090368

https://twitter.com/YvetteKopp/status/892927618324017153

these people are unwell

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

hillary clinton literally was ON VIDEO willing to compromise on passing CONSTITUTIONAL RESTRICTIONS on abortion and yet

AND YET...

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007
mods rename me to BernieAss

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Too bad there are more of us & also we're cooler & stronger lmao

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008
Death to the Clintonites, open war is a blessing.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Squizzle posted:

if franky can hold on for like a decade more he can make sure that the cardinal eligible to vote in a papal election are almost exclusively his own appointees which will be good

hes real close to a majority anyway thanks to the ages of the average cardinal and the 80yo cap on voting age

I dug into this:

There are currently 224 Cardinals total, with 121 of them eligible to vote in a Papal Conclave. 49 of these Cardinals were appointed by Pope Francis.

In order to get a simple majority, or 61 out of 121 votes, an additional 12 Cardinals appointed by John Paul II and Benedict XVI need to be "aged-out" and replaced.

But Benedict XVI actually changed the rules on Papal Conclaves to require a two-thirds majority, and that increases the threshold to 81 out of 121 votes, with 32 non-Francis holdovers needing to be replaced.

The 12th holdover will age-out on Oct-11-2019.
The 32nd holdover will age-out on Jun-02-2023. Pope Francis would be 87 years old by then.

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

so is there a specific reason the better deal is a clone of the trump agenda, or are democrats doomed to adopt the policies of the most recently elected republican?

are we going to have to discuss the pragmatism of keeping the wall up in 2020 :psyduck:

freckle
Apr 6, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

gradenko_2000 posted:

I dug into this:

There are currently 224 Cardinals total, with 121 of them eligible to vote in a Papal Conclave. 49 of these Cardinals were appointed by Pope Francis.

In order to get a simple majority, or 61 out of 121 votes, an additional 12 Cardinals appointed by John Paul II and Benedict XVI need to be "aged-out" and replaced.

But Benedict XVI actually changed the rules on Papal Conclaves to require a two-thirds majority, and that increases the threshold to 81 out of 121 votes, with 32 non-Francis holdovers needing to be replaced.

The 12th holdover will age-out on Oct-11-2019.
The 32nd holdover will age-out on Jun-02-2023. Pope Francis would be 87 years old by then.

goon project you say?

TheOnlyStarFish
Apr 22, 2010

"And the fucking pants. Goddammit, the fucking pants. again. If there is anyone on this planet who likes those fucking pants other than you 3 people, they’re probably 5 years old and laugh at anything random."
https://twitter.com/KWintie/status/892698259482968064

The DNC deserves to be pissed on.

deadgoon
Dec 4, 2014

by FactsAreUseless

Tunicate posted:

panera bread sent out emails a while back talking all about the 'bad things' that weren't in their food, like human hair

i see why the DSA finds them appealing

if there's hair in the jr cheeseburger deluxe its really delicious hair

wish my hair tasted like that

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!

wow what a violent, hateful, spiteful person

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!
gee you think abuela would have been the better person by being forgiving and understanding, and internalizes herself to understand her place in the world

but instead she flips her poo poo and assigns blame because hubris dictates that the world understands her place instead

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Lastgirl posted:

wow what a violent, hateful, spiteful person

holy loly I was going to write "I think we already knew this about Albright" until I realized that tweet is from someone named Sally, and not Madeleine.

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

https://twitter.com/geekaybe/status/892798631190814720

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

also you should not trust the plutocrat spokesman of a party who championed policies designed to undermine domestic labor via globalism and overwhelmingly supported such landmark policies as NAFTA, permanent normalized trade relations with China, the TPP, and the export-import bank

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Condiv posted:

so is there a specific reason the better deal is a clone of the trump agenda, or are democrats doomed to adopt the policies of the most recently elected republican?

are we going to have to discuss the pragmatism of keeping the wall up in 2020 :psyduck:

Those were specific trade issues that Bernie (mostly) also pushed. And Hillary's refusal to acknowledge them was a big part of why she lost the rust belt. They aren't going to fix everything in isolation but they arent bad things.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

ThndrShk2k posted:

https://twitter.com/neeratanden/status/892958050520375296

You can't criticize a politician when there is no election going on (who may be a 'hopeful' for a future election)
Even if people say that the politician should run. You should only criticize after they start running.

What an argument.
:smithicide:

"No primary" isn't just a statement that there isn't an election right now. It's a message to progressives about how the leadership will be decided, and to gently caress off if you don't like it.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Lastgirl posted:

gee you think abuela would have been the better person by being forgiving and understanding, and internalizes herself to understand her place in the world

but instead she flips her poo poo and assigns blame because hubris dictates that the world understands her place instead

Reminder that she dealt with campaign upsets by making interns sit in a room, assigning assigning arbitrary failures to each one of them, and yelling at them as if they were personally responsible.

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

Thoguh posted:

Those were specific trade issues that Bernie (mostly) also pushed. And Hillary's refusal to acknowledge them was a big part of why she lost the rust belt. They aren't going to fix everything in isolation but they arent bad things.
this is called lip service. of course americans like preventing the offshoring of american jobs and fixing unfair trade policies much like they like "better jobs" and "better wages". based on their historical track record, the centrist democrats are not going to provide a meaningful solution here because their donors do not want current policies on globalism to change. if Hillary had won, the TPP would have passed congress regardless of which party had a majority in congress.

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

steinrokkan posted:

Reminder that she dealt with campaign upsets by making interns sit in a room, assigning assigning arbitrary failures to each one of them, and yelling at them as if they were personally responsible.
this is called leadership. maybe you should read a book about it

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

steinrokkan posted:

I think I'm gonna be hearing Hillary as Lucille Bluth forever.

2016 was basically Mallory vs Archer.

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

steinrokkan posted:

the best bosses i ever had were the ones that threw a temper tantrum and frothed at the mouth and told me how horrible of a human being i was if i messed up on the job and how i was a oval office hair away from getting shitcanned

not a boss that tried to uplift and encourage everyone in times of duress

Gene Hackman Fan
Dec 27, 2002

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
this week in increasingly incredible bullshit: corncobs

https://twitter.com/pixelatedboat/status/892985672293769216

FuriousxGeorge
Aug 8, 2007

We've been the best team all year.

They're just finding out.
https://twitter.com/dril/status/893002574957248512

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

msnbc is smearing jeremy corbyn as anti-semitic lol
http://www.nbcnews.com/news/world/anti-semitism-claims-hound-u-k-s-labour-party-despite-n781621
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F4d-ZAPx1q4

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Scent of Worf posted:

https://twitter.com/neeratanden/status/892951648452128768

Corncob is alt-left hate speech. Denounce it right now!

Gene Hackman Fan posted:

ok but what the gently caress though :psyduck:

someone link these people a Know Your Meme page and let's be done with it

It's probably not, honestly. It's Sally Albright; there's a decent chance it's wishful thinking.

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

Gene Hackman Fan posted:

Ah, I was wondering how they would out-stupid pretending that "bend the knee" was a demand for oral pleasuring

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

quote:

"There are members of my local branch that now won't speak with me because they know I'm Jewish," he said. "This was never the case and only started in the last two years."
Hannah said that since Corbyn became the Labour Party's leader in 2015, she has received “countless” anti-Semitic messages on social media, including a particularly distressing photo of a man with a knife in his back and the caption, “Serves him right, he trusted a k---," using racial slur for someone of Jewish descent.

I mean, blaming Corbyn for this is obviously stupid but this is hosed-up if true and says a lot about British people

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

Condiv posted:

"Democrats will actually do the good things Trump only lied about wanting to do" is an ok platform

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!

gradenko_2000 posted:

holy loly I was going to write "I think we already knew this about Albright" until I realized that tweet is from someone named Sally, and not Madeleine.

why does the name Albright have such bad raps :iiam:

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

WhiskeyJuvenile posted:

"Democrats will actually do the good things Trump only lied about wanting to do" is an ok platform
the problem with this messaging is that the democrats were pushing the bad things that are the exact opposite of the good things they are now claiming they support. obama was literally pushing the TPP the entire election season

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

A psychologist could have a field day with Giordano's "dudebro" obsession

he must have had a really hard time in high school

Lastgirl posted:

why does the name Albright have such bad raps :iiam:

I assumed it was just because it's an extremely WASPy name but I looked it up and apparently it's Austrian in origin :eyepop:

(it means "illustrious" though so it's probably still a rich-people name)

e:

comedyblissoption posted:

the problem with this messaging is that the democrats were pushing the bad things that are the exact opposite of the good things they are now claiming they support. obama was literally pushing the TPP the entire election season

also a good portion of the people that got blasted with Dem messaging last year now think those things are white nationalism

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

comedyblissoption posted:

this is called lip service. of course americans like preventing the offshoring of american jobs and fixing unfair trade policies much like they like "better jobs" and "better wages". based on their historical track record, the centrist democrats are not going to provide a meaningful solution here because their donors do not want current policies on globalism to change. if Hillary had won, the TPP would have passed congress regardless of which party had a majority in congress.

I don't disagree with you there and the Democrats would have to convince me that they really support these things and intend to follow through on them, since at this point I give them zero benefit of the doubt. I was just pushing back against the people posting that the ideas themselves were bad.

• Locked thread