Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Tom Perez B/K/M?
This poll is closed.
B 77 25.50%
K 160 52.98%
M 65 21.52%
Total: 229 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

NewForumSoftware posted:

It would be better than voting for one candidate who was terrible on everything. Which was what we got in 2016.

Clinton was terrible on a lot of things, but at least she didn't support private prisons, dismantling the social safety net, or ending the Iran nuclear agreement. You're not being pragmatic; you're being dumb.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NewForumSoftware
Oct 8, 2016

by Lowtax

Majorian posted:

Clinton was terrible on a lot of things, but at least she didn't support private prisons, dismantling the social safety net, or ending the Iran nuclear agreement.

lol that you don't think she would be willing to any or all of those things

like I get it man, you're reformed, but I'm just telling you, as someone who doesn't get regularly hoodwinked by bad establishment politicians, hillary would have gladly supported private prisons, dismantled the social safety net and ended the iran deal.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

NewForumSoftware posted:

That's not a problem with single issue voters, that's a problem with people.

It's more of an issue with single issue voters than the population in general. That's why they're single issue voters: because they don't understand why anything other than their pet issue is important.:ssh:

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

NewForumSoftware posted:

I don't care what she'd be "willing" to do; she didn't have any political incentive to do any of these things. What's in a candidate's heart doesn't concern me. What they're likely to do once in power is what's important.

NewForumSoftware
Oct 8, 2016

by Lowtax

Majorian posted:

It's more of an issue with single issue voters than the population in general. That's why they're single issue voters: because they don't understand why anything other than their pet issue is important.:ssh:

That's the bad dem view of the world. "people just don't know what they want! if only they listened to me!"

Good dem: "this person cares passionately about something that is important to me as well, let's build a coalition with them"

Majorian posted:

I don't care what she'd be "willing" to do; she didn't have any political incentive to do any of these things. What's in a candidate's heart doesn't concern me. What they're likely to do once in power is what's important.

lmao that you think there's no incentive to support private prisons

post a link to hillary's corporate donations

"a democrat would NEVER dismantle the social safety net, there's no incentive!"
-a bad dem

NewForumSoftware fucked around with this message at 18:01 on Aug 3, 2017

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

NewForumSoftware posted:

like I get it man, you're reformed, but I'm just telling you, as someone who doesn't get regularly hoodwinked by bad establishment politicians, hillary would have gladly supported private prisons, dismantled the social safety net and ended the iran deal.

I can tell you one thing she definitely wouldn't have done, appoint Jeff Sessions to be AG.

NewForumSoftware
Oct 8, 2016

by Lowtax

WampaLord posted:

I can tell you one thing she definitely wouldn't have done, appoint Jeff Sessions to be AG.

Yes, she was better than Trump. Good news, that doesn't win elections when people care about issues more than "are you better than other person Y/N?"

Time to appeal to the dreaded carevoters

FuriousxGeorge
Aug 8, 2007

We've been the best team all year.

They're just finding out.

Majorian posted:

That's hilarious. Society has mocked legalization as unimportant or a ludicrous and harmful proposal for decades. So people fight to have it viewed as important, and then you go, "But you are ignoring important issues!" in an effort to get them to stop.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

NewForumSoftware posted:

That's the bad dem view of the world. "people just don't know what they want! if only they listened to me!"

Nope. You're arguing that it's okay for voters to only care about weed legalization, and literally no other issue. That's insane and you know it.

quote:

lmao that you think there's no incentive to support private prisons

post a link to hillary's corporate donations

"a democrat would NEVER dismantle the social safety net, there's no incentive!"
-a bad dem

To the degree that Trump has, or that Johnson would have? :laffo:

But hey, Trump kinda-sorta signaled that he'd legalize weed, and Johnson outright said he did, so it's okay to vote for them.:downs: -a pseudo-leftist

NewForumSoftware
Oct 8, 2016

by Lowtax

Majorian posted:

Nope. You're arguing that it's okay for voters to only care about weed legalization, and literally no other issue. That's insane and you know it.

That's not what a single issue voter is and if you think that's what it is feel free to also make posts about how mutant tyrannosaurus rexes are also bad for the democratic party

honestly im still laughing at "she has no incentive to cut the social safety net"

just adorable, real primo stuff

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

NewForumSoftware posted:

That's not what a single issue voter is

Yes, actually, it is.

NewForumSoftware
Oct 8, 2016

by Lowtax

Majorian posted:

To the degree that Trump has, or that Johnson would have? :laffo:

The centrist in it's natural habitat, explaining that "well, it would be better than Trump" as a last line of defense for their terrible opinions/candidates

NewForumSoftware
Oct 8, 2016

by Lowtax
Your fundamental misconception is that you think I care that Hillary lost voters to Johnson and Trump because of her bad opinions. On the contrary, it's a good thing. An expensive lesson to learn, but necessary. Better luck next time, try appealing to people instead of shaming them.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

NewForumSoftware posted:

honestly im still laughing at "she has no incentive to cut the social safety net"

just adorable, real primo stuff

Mmmm yes, voting for someone who outright supports slashing it to an even greater degree, as long as he supports legalization, is clearly the way to go.

Just admit that you don't understand what "single issue voter" means.

NewForumSoftware posted:

The centrist in it's natural habitat, explaining that "well, it would be better than Trump" as a last line of defense for their terrible opinions/candidates

:laffo: that you think I'm a centrist.

FuriousxGeorge
Aug 8, 2007

Can you like, point to a single person in the United States of America who has publicly claimed they voted for Gary Johnson solely because of his position on weed?

NewForumSoftware
Oct 8, 2016

by Lowtax

Majorian posted:

Mmmm yes, voting for someone who outright supports slashing it to an even greater degree, as long as he supports legalization, is clearly the way to go.

Just admit that you don't understand what "single issue voter" means.

Just admit that Hillary has plenty of incentive to cut the social safety net and I'll admit that single issue voters as you imagine them don't exist and thusly are not worth worrying about.

JailTrump
Jul 14, 2017

by FactsAreUseless

Inescapable Duck posted:

Well here we go, all the black people should just stop smoking weed, pull up their pants and get a haircut.

I'm not even talking about minorities. My best friend went to jail for a week for smoking weed in college in a public space on the campus of a christian college in the south. He's white. He also did whippets and totaled his car against a brick wall while high on them.

He got released via a drug-court program thankfully, but got caught doing spice while he was living with me - despite it being illegal. Which ended him back in the clink for another months.

Kids these day are so into escapeism it's depressing. Do weed, drink alcohol, have wanton sex, cut yourself, seek validation from people online through instagram and snapchat- anything to fill up that empty hole you have because mommy and daddy didn't love you.

Minorities - smoke all the weed you want. I don't care. I care about rich trust-fund babies and well off white people smoking it because they have nothing better to do because I am a grumpy old man stuck in a millenials body.

NewForumSoftware
Oct 8, 2016

by Lowtax

Majorian posted:

:laffo: that you think I'm a centrist.

I actually don't, I think you're a reformed centrist who can't help but fall into their old patterns of carrying water for the lesser of two evils, especially if it supports some backwards argument about how people that don't exist gave us Trump.

You're like the grandpa that knows he can't use the n word any more but it happens once in a while. I don't blame you, just apologize and move on.

El Pollo Blanco
Jun 12, 2013

by sebmojo

NewForumSoftware posted:

Just repeat whatever you want over and over again and maybe it will become true?

Also nice job adding "White" into there. Real classy.

lol at being so out of touch that you think most libertarians are brought there by the rear end backwards economics and not the idea that people should be free to do things like smoke weed without being a criminal

libertarians appeal to single issue weed voters because they are the only party even willing to give them lip service

Are you suggesting most libertarian voters are motivated by drug decriminalisation and not classical liberal econ policies? That seems like a stretch.

Razputeen
Dec 19, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

NewForumSoftware posted:

I actually don't, I think you're a reformed centrist who can't help but fall into their old patterns of carrying water for the lesser of two evils, especially if it supports some backwards argument about how people that don't exist gave us Trump.

This is the most accurate thing I've read in a while

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

FuriousxGeorge posted:

Can you like, point to a single person in the United States of America who has publicly claimed they voted for Gary Johnson solely because of his position on weed?

NFS

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

FuriousxGeorge posted:

Allow me to introduce you to Jimmy Reefercake...

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

NewForumSoftware posted:

Nah, I'm actually a voter who understands that there are other important issues besides weed legalization, i.e.: not a complete loving moron.

NewForumSoftware
Oct 8, 2016

by Lowtax

Majorian posted:

Nah, I'm actually a voter who understands that there are other important issues besides weed legalization, i.e.: not a complete loving moron.

And yet, you can't help but call potential allies "complete loving morons" if they don't hold the same nuanced views you do.

The coastal elite can stop being a centrist but they can't stop being coastal elites.

Fados
Jan 7, 2013
I like Malcolm X, I can't be racist!

Put this racist dipshit on ignore immediately!

JailTrump posted:

I'm not even talking about minorities. My best friend went to jail for a week for smoking weed in college in a public space on the campus of a christian college in the south. He's white. He also did whippets and totaled his car against a brick wall while high on them.

He got released via a drug-court program thankfully, but got caught doing spice while he was living with me - despite it being illegal. Which ended him back in the clink for another months.

Kids these day are so into escapeism it's depressing. Do weed, drink alcohol, have wanton sex, cut yourself, seek validation from people online through instagram and snapchat- anything to fill up that empty hole you have because mommy and daddy didn't love you.

Minorities - smoke all the weed you want. I don't care. I care about rich trust-fund babies and well off white people smoking it because they have nothing better to do because I am a grumpy old man stuck in a millenials body.
I agree with the general tone of your post although I wouldn't use it as an argument against weed legalization, alcohol has a lot of the same problems and it's not like prohibition worked any good. But I think the state shouldn't support drug consuptiom of any kind and that legalization should be supported by funding to addiction support and prevention. Obviously the underlying problem is much deeper and part of a society which robed middle class young men of the usual rites of passage into adulthood and is leaving them as perpetual manchildren.

Fados fucked around with this message at 18:16 on Aug 3, 2017

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

NewForumSoftware posted:

And yet, you can't help but call potential allies "complete loving morons" if they don't hold the same nuanced views you do.

Yes, I'm sure that my hurting their fee-fees on an online forum will cause a great many of them to flee into the arms of Trump. My calling them complete loving morons will undoubtedly swing the 2020 election.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

JeffersonClay posted:

Again, truancy isn't criminalized here, and neither is being the parent of a chronically truant student. Failure to reasonably supervise and encourage school attendance is criminalized, but only in cases where material harm has been caused to the child, chronic truancy. The state is required to provide training and support to parents who might lack the skills to "reasonably supervise" their child before prosecuting. This law is about giving school districts leverage over parents who choose not to send their kids to school.

I specifically mentioned the fact that there's no practical use to punitively targeting behavior that wouldn't otherwise be considered a crime (outside of removing the child from the harmful environment, of course). I imagine child abuse was considered criminal before Harris' change in policy, so the only relevant thing here is whether her specific change is helpful in any way.

Also, you didn't address my point about the people potentially subject to this law being heavily disproportionately PoC and low income. If a crime is specifically far more likely to happen if you meet those criteria, it's obvious that more draconian punishment isn't a good solution.

As I said before, your argument is - quite literally - identical to that of conservatives who argue in favor of "tough on crime" policy. It consists of just saying "ARE YOU SAYING X ISN'T BAD/A CRIME?!" and ignoring the practical implications of the law.

NewForumSoftware
Oct 8, 2016

by Lowtax

Majorian posted:

This is actually a good example of a person who could easily be appealed to.

quote:

About
The hypocrites in charge pay lip service to FREE DUMB in order to gain POWER! While hypocrite leaders come and go, the masses never let go of their search to unmask the hypocrisy of their rulers. I am here to serve the masses. I invite you all to contribute your hypocrisy related content right here at ALL THE HYPOCRISY DOT COM!!!!! Worldwide.

Hypocrisy has a log history of importance to human concepts of society and morality. Jesus, Gandhi, Mohammed, Buddha, all the spiritual leaders in the history of the world have warned of the dangers of hypocrisy, but that hasn’t stopped this most irresistible sin from infesting human kind. To some degree, all of us Americans are hypocrites. We all suck at the teat of American imperialism, on the backs of children in sweatshops in China. The blood is on all our hands for American aggression and war around the world, to the point that our tax dollars pay for torture and killing, all in the name of freedom. Could it be that our leaders talk of freedom but are really interested in power?

Meanwhile simple herbal remedies such as marijuana are banned in favor of drugs manufactured by transnational corporations. Again, freedom is sacrificed for power.

The weed seems to be the least of his problems.

Majorian posted:

Yes, I'm sure that my hurting their fee-fees on an online forum will cause a great many of them to flee into the arms of Trump.

It's less that it will have any real impact and more that it just reveals how you really feel about your countrymen. Hard to take it seriously tbqh, you've still got election 2106 broken brainedness, it's the only way you could unironically post things like "at least Hillary wouldn't have cut the social safety net"

Jizz Festival
Oct 30, 2012
Lipstick Apathy

Fados posted:

I agree with the general tone of your post although I wouldn't use it as an argument against weed legalization, alcohol has a lot of the same problems and it's not like prohibition worked any good. But I think the state shouldn't support drug consuptiom of any kind and that legalization should be supported by funding to addiction support and prevention.

Lol yes so all those weed addicts can finally get the treatment they need.

FuriousxGeorge
Aug 8, 2007

Majorian posted:

lol.

Jizz Festival
Oct 30, 2012
Lipstick Apathy
Jimmy Reefercake actually did vote for Hillary in the end, though.

Tiberius Christ
Mar 4, 2009

If there is a single issue weed voter bloc out there, wouldn't it be a good thing to get their votes? Who cares if they're only single issue, they still get one vote and I thought the point was to win elections. Dismissing them for not giving a poo poo about other issues seems stupidly puritan.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Jizz Festival posted:

Jimmy Reefercake actually did vote for Hillary in the end, though.

That's not what he's said. He claimed to have voted for Johnson when he called into Majority Report.

Tiberius Christ posted:

If there is a single issue weed voter bloc out there, wouldn't it be a good thing to get their votes? Who cares if they're only single issue, they still get one vote and I thought the point was to win elections. Dismissing them for not giving a poo poo about other issues seems stupidly puritan.

Literally no one here is saying we shouldn't appeal to them by adopting their issue.

(e: whoops, except for Fados. But it's Fados, so ya know)

Fados
Jan 7, 2013
I like Malcolm X, I can't be racist!

Put this racist dipshit on ignore immediately!

Jizz Festival posted:

Lol yes so all those weed addicts can finally get the treatment they need.

Weed is a drug and drugs are addictive.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Tiberius Christ posted:

Obviously, but when people say they're pro weed and then vote in a way that gets them AG Jeff Sessions, it's fair to write them off as people who are going to vote against their own interests.

Fados posted:

What, are you a DARE officer?

NewForumSoftware
Oct 8, 2016

by Lowtax

Fados posted:

Define drug

Good luck, especially if you're starting from "they are addictive"

Jizz Festival
Oct 30, 2012
Lipstick Apathy

Majorian posted:

That's not what he's said. He claimed to have voted for Johnson when he called into Majority Report.

Maybe he changed his story recently (I haven't listened in quite a few months) but he said he voted for Hillary on election day pretty sure.

Jizz Festival
Oct 30, 2012
Lipstick Apathy

Fados posted:

I'm addicted to these stool softeners, man. I just can't stop taking them.

Ardennes
May 12, 2002
I think the greater issue is that Booker is obviously terrible on other topics besides marijuana, and for that reason, people should be skeptical (just like Gillibrand supporting single payer out of nowhere, or the Zuck going for some type of GMI). it is almost certain that there will be plenty of garbage to go along with that "pet issue" and/or they will ignore to focus on whatever they actually want to do.

Anyway, if they actually cared about those things they probably don't need to be president (they can push their pet issue in the senate if they wish), hell Zuck probably has more weight in the political process by virtue of being a laughably rich billionaire.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I can already kind of see the Centrist ticket being Kamala Harris/Cory Booker on a platform of TO BE DECIDED/Legalize Weed

TO BE DECIDED could be single payer, but lol probably not

• Locked thread