Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sorla78
Oct 11, 2012

EAT THE PAIN AWAY!
Where is OldSchoolCmdr's longform opinion on the steve-gate thing? Derek you better send him a message...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harold Stassen
Jan 24, 2016
What the gently caress is happening to this game that so many posts are happening

Help

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

cool new Polack jokes posted:

What the gently caress is happening to this game that so many posts are happening

Help
Nothing is happening, it's official now.
Drownin' is announced for December.

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

The only thing white people deserve is a bullet to their empty skull

I'm partial to this one. Makes me giggle.

http://www.cafepress.com/dragaera/5913959

I wonder if there is a forums user Vlad, and if so would he know to tell you to shut up.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

eXXon posted:

There's only one bug in 3.0, it's just that it's BLOCKER: Nothing works properly.

The blocker is Chris.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

The blocker is Chris.

The report is really meant to say “blockhead”, since Chris has some problems with the whole letter thing* he keeps misquoting it as blocker, and everyone else just goes along because it's easier that way.

* Not as in dyslexia but as in broke-brains — worth clarifying since any dyslexics would probably be insulted by the insinuation that they're like Chris.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
Years ago CIG had a much better vision for SC. Everything would be instanced based, with players entering generated scenarios in maps that were limited to the capacity of the server. Stuff like capital ship combat would effectively be a separate game, with players interacting across instances while fighters jumped back and forth as needed. Planetary encounters would be the same; your ship flies to the mission area via cut scene, you play around and do whatever, and then you leave the instance. Imagine a game full of Arena Commander size maps, populated with both procedurally generated and hand crafted assets. In contrast to the stark, barren sterility of Elite SC would offer a more narrative driven experience. Stuff like orbits, planetary positioning, the economy, basically everything in the background would be handled by a database that provided inputs to generate each instance, and the result of the players' actions would affect the database. Kill a merchant carrying a load of material to a planet? Then the supply of whatever that stuff was meant for would dry up. While certainly a challenge, it was doable.

Unfortunately Chris Roberts is a near-sighted moron who truly believes his own bullshit, so it never had a chance of happening. Over time we see example after example where Chris displays his incomprehensible ignorance of basic game design and project management, where his toddler-like mind chases after the next shiny thing while ignoring what is being worked on and therefore boring. He is a visionary with no memory, and his nepotistic and toxic company culture ensures he will never be held accountable. Since he is also a narcissist he is incapable of seeing his own faults, and instead every failure is blamed on something (usually someone) else.

Star Citizen is the death blow to the myth of the rock star developer. It shows how modern game design has truly moved on from the era of Chris Roberts and John Romero, and how modern development is about collaboration and coordination. Thanks to Chris whatever they poo poo out before calling it done and running away will be just as buggy and terrible as everything they've released.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

cool new Polack jokes posted:

Help

Called it.

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

Scruffpuff posted:

CIG's in a hilarious catch-22 right now. On the one hand, everyone needs to know about 3.0, because they need more money (actually they can't do anything no matter how much money they get, but Chris thinks he can) so GamesCon and all that jazz needs to be hyped up, along with 3.0, to continue to hoodwink backers into giving them more cash.

But, on the other hand, 3.0 is a loving disaster, along with the entire project, so they need to draw as much attention away from 3.0 as they possibly can to keep backer confidence high to keep getting cash while they walk back promise after promise until 3.0 is basically 2.6.0.1.

What do you do? You release videos about holograms. Nobody asked for it, it has nothing to do with anything but dreams. It's an attempt to draw attention both to and from the project simultaneously. It's a weak attempt, but backers are weak people, so my guess is it's working great.

Never forget:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IZ4mou4OR4U

D_Smart fucked around with this message at 13:26 on Aug 5, 2017

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

Nicholas posted:

Okay this was just added to the schedule report and think about how bad it is. They've basically dumped a bunch of new open ended tasks into the already delayed 3.0. No ETA on any of these things. And they will not be easy to solve.

Basically, they just added another +4-6 months or so to the schedule. I bet they are going to implement this new crap in 3.0.x builds without encroaching on 3.1.

In case you were wondering why this is interesting, it's because I had previously written back in May that the internal dev schedule was NOT the same as the public one. So they appear to have decided to come clean with parts of the actual dev schedule now. Wow.

Notice the part about the server dying with 12-15 clients? That's not even new; but now they're acknowledging it so that becomes a "known issue". I had written about this performance issue back in June and also written about it again (with more detail) in July.

loving LOL if you still have money in this train wreck.

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

peter gabriel posted:

the gently caress is steve?

We're all Steve. Just normal stimperial citizens trying to make it to deskeletonization day.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Years ago CIG had a much better vision for SC.

We would have settled for Freelancer 2, and enjoyed it.
But some shithead thought we needed to have space suit farts modelled aerodynamically in real time.

zcrow
May 6, 2014

Ah.. yeah... um... tup tup tup tup tup.. this is something we'll add down the line

I thought that looked like Ben Mendelsohn. Turns out it is lol. Albeit a creepy Stimperial rejuvenator afflicted version.

Percelus
Sep 9, 2012

My command, your wish is

it's pretty amazing they're so incompetent they can't even get a character creator running or just simply add female character models

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
If only they still had Wingman & Co from the Olden Days of distant memory. Whatever happened to those kooky characters? I'm sure they went off and made their own successful product.

http://steamcharts.com/app/360950

Oh.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

DancingShade posted:

If only they still had Wingman & Co from the Olden Days of distant memory. Whatever happened to those kooky characters? I'm sure they went off and made their own successful product.

Oh.

Is the new Descent that bad?
Loved the original 3, yes even the 3rd.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

happyhippy posted:

Is the new Descent that bad?
Loved the original 3, yes even the 3rd.

Never played whatever it is they made but before it was even out they alienated the entire Descent community by killing a fan made game to work on their garbage looking death match only one.

Then around the same time this indie game came out that blew them out of the water http://store.steampowered.com/app/327880/Sublevel_Zero_Redux/

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

They still don't have a date on character customizing. Clear example of Chris changing the scope of it and being a huge bumbling idiot that can't describe what he wants properly

Nanako the Narc
Sep 6, 2011

So I'm finally mobile again since the 1st of August and have barely looked at my computer/this thread since then, so far I've gathered the following:

- 3.0 is not coming out by Gamescom (lol).
- Backers/subreddit are salty as fuuuuuck.
- Crobberts wringing his hands and apologising because "game development harrrrdd!" in most recent AtV.
- Beet suffered for our sins and played Star Marine, killed WTFO (does anyone have a video of this from WTFO's perspective? I really want to see this but no way am I trawling through his streams to find it).
- Spectrum salty as all hell, and I even dabbled in the brown sea a bit, but are now ok with the delay.

Anything else of note happen over the past week or so?

DancingShade posted:

Oh.

Aww, I actually kinda liked Wingman, he actually has a semblance of charisma :(.

Warhawk109
Mar 13, 2017

Latin Pheonix posted:

So I'm finally mobile again since the 1st of August and have barely looked at my computer/this thread since then, so far I've gathered the following:

- 3.0 is not coming out by Gamescom (lol).
- Backers/subreddit are salty as fuuuuuck.
- Crobberts wringing his hands and apologising because "game development harrrrdd!" in most recent AtV.
- Beet suffered for our sins and played Star Marine, killed WTFO (does anyone have a video of this from WTFO's perspective? I really want to see this but no way am I trawling through his streams to find it).
- Spectrum salty as all hell, and I even dabbled in the brown sea a bit, but are now ok with the delay.

Aww, I actually kinda liked Wingman, he actually has a semblance of charisma :(.

Wingman actually seemed like a real person. Sandi in comparison looks like there's a little dude in her head working the controls.

doingitwrong
Jul 27, 2013

toanoradian posted:

I spend hours watching a guy review theme parks, this is absolutely nothing. Give me more, pls

Where can I watch hours of a guy reviewing theme parks?

Godmode Enabled
Jul 14, 2013

I AM A BETAGOON, ASK ME ABOUT PROPER GRIEF TO CASH RATIOS.
Take 3 days off and 1400 post behind :negative:

toanoradian
May 31, 2011

The happiest waffligator

doingitwrong posted:

Where can I watch hours of a guy reviewing theme parks?

Okay so technically those hours consist of mostly watching first person view of roller coaster rides (and water slides), and the theme park reviews from Some Jerk with a Camera. If the name reminds you of those That Guy with the Glasses 'critics', then you are right, he's a member of them, although he's not as screamy as the more famous ones. If you don't know what TGWTG is, good, just try to watch some of that guy's videos.

Latin Pheonix posted:

There's this by G0RF, though of course if it's "of note" depends on you:

Sabreseven
Feb 27, 2016

Percelus posted:

it's pretty amazing they're so incompetent they can't even get a character creator running or just simply add female character models

Well, if I was CIG, and I had the fanbase that they do, I wouldn't want to let them loose with female characters either, it's 'Star Citizen' not 'A Clockwork Orange'. :D

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

G0RF posted:

The songs are comedy gold, it's meta, it's high trolling (Satire, more accurately) but gently done. No sad kazoo needed!

There has to be more of a definition between attitude and activity in those categories. Yes my songs are meta, comedy, and satiric, but I don't touch the poop (although at times it's really tempting). It's like the difference between having a political view and being an activist, I'm thinking. And on the "other side", there is clearly a large silent audience who nevertheless may consume my satire or Cymelion's "wisdom". You could characterise it as, the more extreme the position, the louder the noise. Again to use political language, the win is usually in the centre which means both "sides" are trying to convince a larger, unconvinced "centre" audience.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

I want to see star citizen get released because the perfect way to ruin its reputation is to allow it to stand on its own merits.

This is also why I enjoy watching the trump presidency tbh

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

D_Smart posted:

Basically, they just added another +4-6 months or so to the schedule. I bet they are going to implement this new crap in 3.0.x builds without encroaching on 3.1.

In case you were wondering why this is interesting, it's because I had previously written back in May that the internal dev schedule was NOT the same as the public one. So they appear to have decided to come clean with parts of the actual dev schedule now. Wow.

Notice the part about the server dying with 12-15 clients? That's not even new; but now they're acknowledging it so that becomes a "known issue". I had written about this performance issue back in June and also written about it again (with more detail) in July.

loving LOL if you still have money in this train wreck.

Notice how a bunch of previously unseen items have automagically appeared in the latest dev schedule?

It's almost as if they have an internal schedule that's not reflective of the public one. Pretty much what I've been saying for months now :allears:

Nanako the Narc
Sep 6, 2011

toanoradian posted:

There's this by G0RF, though of course if it's "of note" depends on you:

Oh my god, that's spectacular! :swoon:

Warhawk109 posted:

Wingman actually seemed like a real person. Sandi in comparison looks like there's a little dude in her head working the controls.

I think I can pinpoint the moment when my attitude to SC went from 'optimistic' to 'concerned' was when he left.

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

Everyone who unironically defends Star Citizen should be forced to include this in their post somewhere lol

Kellanved
Sep 7, 2009
Lol no orbital mechanics. Let's all forget about the mmo part, but at some point they pledged to build a space game with some grains of realism in it.

So, on of the first things that I would've asked myself is: Can I (easily) simulate a basic solar system with the tools I have? If no, are there better tools on the market that I can buy?
It's like the most basic element in their design! Ships run around in space between planets and moons of a solar system. They pledged realism so it must have some basic orbital mechanics. Only the highest of sperglords would ask for actual, simulated orbital mechanics, but something that would look ok to everyone not a physicist shouldn't be a topic of speculation 5 years into the project!

RescueFreak
Sep 8, 2013

XK posted:

Hey guys, here's someone who reviews dead malls:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MfsmHFQHGoM

Remember malls guys?

What the gently caress are malls, haha.

He also does terrible hotel rooms:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kvNbsi4aDuk

I just ruined your next 12 hours making you watch addictive Youtube trash.

Steve? I don't know anything about anybody named Steve.

I guessed Adam the Woo.

Dan Bell was my second guess.

Xaerael
Aug 25, 2010

Marching Powder is objectively the worst poster known. He also needs to learn how a keyboard works.

I'm going to stream sandbox The Long Dark Alpha 1.04 today, in about an hour. Come and see what a tiny studio did with a fraction of the resources in far less time than Star Citizen. Also come see me get hosed up by bears. gently caress bears.

I'm also Ill, so my voice is all hosed up. good times!

I'll post when I go online. It'll be great. Or poo poo. I've never done this poo poo properly before.

Xaerael fucked around with this message at 17:29 on Aug 5, 2017

ZenMaster
Jan 24, 2006

I Saved PC Gaming

Star Citizen will fail because Crobberts was cruising the space sim highway and saw an offramp called fidelity street that led him to a forest with hundreds of roads. Instead of turning around, he points triumphantly ahead at each fork and yells THIS WAY PEOPLE! and mashes the gas petal. He's running on fumes, the snacks are gone, and the highway has long since vanished over multiple horizons.

ZenMaster fucked around with this message at 17:37 on Aug 5, 2017

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

Godmode Enabled posted:

Take 3 days off and 1400 post behind :negative:

Called it.

Laserpig
Jul 13, 2013

I am not credible.
I interviewed at Cloud Imperium in Wilmslow (near Manchester) last month, Junior IT Systems Engineer role. I did get offered a second interview but turned it down.

Nanako the Narc
Sep 6, 2011

ZenMaster posted:

Star Citizen will fail because Crobberts was cruising the space sim highway and saw an offramp called fidelity street that led him to a forest with hundreds of roads. Instead of turning around, he points triumphantly ahead at each fork and yells THIS WAY PEOPLE! and shoots more mocap. He's running on fumes, the snacks are gone, and the highway has long since vanished over multiple horizons.

Fixed it for you.

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

Some galactic defender you are, Space Cadet.

ewe2 posted:

There has to be more of a definition between attitude and activity in those categories. Yes my songs are meta, comedy, and satiric, but I don't touch the poop (although at times it's really tempting). It's like the difference between having a political view and being an activist, I'm thinking. And on the "other side", there is clearly a large silent audience who nevertheless may consume my satire or Cymelion's "wisdom". You could characterise it as, the more extreme the position, the louder the noise. Again to use political language, the win is usually in the centre which means both "sides" are trying to convince a larger, unconvinced "centre" audience.

I hear you. I'm definitely going to revisit this and refine over time.

For me, trying visually model and language psychographics, and to do it efficiently, is trickier than typical information design. Especially just using observational references. I realized even once zeroing in on 9, and committing to the symmetry of Skeptics/Believers, Heretics/Evangelists, Haters/Zealots, Trolls/Shills, that it wasn't going to be entirely comprehensive nor completely precise.

Also clear about halfway through was were the harsh design constraints imposed by commiting myself Pac-man piechart approach. It was well-suited to emphasize the mirror-like parallels between these approximate types, but highly constrictive, too. But as with Chris and CryEngine I was like, "well I'm committed now I'll just use this Pac-man chart. At least it'll look good."

But there are exceptions, outliers, people fitting multiple categories, people not fitting at all. Guys like you just got clipped right out of the engine.

"I don't know what happened -- I swear this was working before!"

:gary: -- "PAAAAARP!"

Having a 1.0 version finished helps though. It covers many and some especially well. Having time to reflect on outliers and exceptions, on the insufficiencies of the overall representation, well help shape the refinement pass. It's not ever going to be perfect, it really can't be given the conceptual territory. But the better it gets as a shorthand reference the more useful it will be, especially as a basic primer for those confused about the controversy that seems to animate such divisive discussion these days.

Which reminds me. I noticed that /DS didn't archive Derek's tweet of the graphic, even though he called himself a Heretic, Hater, and Troll in the process, which is exactly what they believe of him. Very interesting.

G0RF fucked around with this message at 17:59 on Aug 5, 2017

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

Laserpig posted:

I interviewed at Cloud Imperium in Wilmslow (near Manchester) last month, Junior IT Systems Engineer role. I did get offered a second interview but turned it down.

What did you think of the interview? How did people at that office seem?

Mne nravitsya
Jul 14, 2017

I'm starting to get worried, and feel like I need to give CIG money, because my life will be so empty when this all fades away. What game could possibly entertain us here at a level like Star Citizen ?

Maybe I'll also back Pantheon: Rise of the McQuaid, just so I have a guaranteed secondary MMO disaster to post about, and that will make it hurt less when inevitable comes to Croberts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

XK
Jul 9, 2001

Star Citizen is everywhere. It is all around us. Even now, in this very room. You can see it's fidelity when you look out your window or when you watch youtube

G0RF posted:

I hear you. I'm definitely going to revisit this and refine over time.

For me, trying visually model and language psychographics, and to do it efficiently, is trickier than typical information design. Especially just using observational references. I realized even once zeroing in on 9, and committing to the symmetry of Skeptics/Believers, Heretics/Evangelists, Haters/Zealots, Trolls/Shills, that it wasn't going to be entirely comprehensive nor completely precise.

Also clear about halfway through was were the harsh design constraints imposed by commiting myself Pac-man piechart approach. It was well-suited to emphasize the mirror-like parallels between these approximate types, but highly constrictive, too. But as with Chris and CryEngine I was like, "well I'm committed now I'll just use this Pac-man chart. At least it'll look good."

But there are exceptions, outliers, people fitting multiple categories, people not fitting at all. Guys like you just got clipped right out of the engine.

"I don't know what happened -- I swear this was working before!"

:gary: -- "PAAAAARP!"

Having a 1.0 version finished helps though. It covers many and some especially well. Having time to reflect on outliers and exceptions, on the insufficiencies of the overall representation, well help shape the refinement pass. It's not ever going to be perfect, it really can't be given the conceptual territory. But the better it gets as a shorthand reference the more useful it will be, especially as a basic primer for those confused about the controversy that seems to animate such divisive discussion these days.

Which reminds me. I noticed that /DS didn't archive Derek's tweet of the graphic, even though he called himself a Heretic, Hater, and Troll in the process, which is exactly what they believe of him. Very interesting.

It's a fine chart. Be happy with it.

Don't stress out over exceptions here or there. Like people say about posting here, "just post", just make your poo poo, man.

Make your art, and enjoy doing it.