Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

atomivoi
Jul 22, 2007

Picnic Princess posted:

"Mein Kampf is just a book you guys, now SJWs hate books too? Cuck snowflake libtard cuck flake cuck cuck cuck" -totally reasonable and intelligent white guys worthy of respectable discourse

""Arbet macht frei!" is just opinion of importance of working hard, and how it liberates people!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ularg
Mar 2, 2010

Just tell me I'm exotic.

Must be sad, being afraid for you life because of "Do-nothing" SJWs. We were taking away your games, but nah it's nothing.

TheKennedys
Sep 23, 2006

By my hand, I will take you from this godforsaken internet

Ularg posted:

Must be sad, being afraid for you life because of "Do-nothing" SJWs. We were taking away your games, but nah it's nothing.

:umberto: etc

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011

Jerry Cotton posted:

turpa kiinni kissa äiä
Agreed, to forget Fingerpori is worth great punishment, like a tepid sauna or weak vodka

toanoradian
May 31, 2011

The happiest waffligator

hawowanlawow posted:

hmmm but what if a regular word is a slur in another language???

"Child" in Malay means "slave" in Indonesian, it's very distressing.

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

HAT FETISH posted:

one of the mandarin equivalents of "um"/"uh" sounds quite a bit like the n word and I've seen people get kinda what-the-gently caress-y about it a few times

As a bald white guy who speaks Mandarin...

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Going forward we should just avoid rape in this thread regardless of it a post is iosm or not. it's not about you personally as a poster it's just going to inevitably fuel derails and arguments in a chil thread for laughing at daft racists and old people who are mad for beans. :wooper:

to be clear no more rape posts of ANY description

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

Bertrand Hustle posted:

As a bald white guy who speaks Mandarin...

NAH-ge

Really had to force myself to get there.

EvenWorseOpinions
Jun 10, 2017
I shouldn't, but I get uncomfortable saying 'black' when I'm speaking Spanish.

There's a certain conjugation of 'can' in German that sounds like a rude word for lady bits depending on your accent. Getting berated for trying to say it in an English safe way got me a sound berating from my teacher when I was a wee lad

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Freaquency posted:

There are plenty of words that are used generally that are actually rooted in some less than ideal origins. It really does just come down to whether or not the group in question is large enough or visible enough to influence the public perception on the matter. For example, I think it was this thread where we talked about the origin of "gyp" as a slur, but a lot of people who would give you hell for saying someone "jewed you out" of something wouldn't bat an eye at saying "gypped you out" instead. You can try to inform someone why using the term is an issue but a lot of the time they're just going to tell you to gently caress off.

Yeah, that one was a shock since I always thought it was spelled 'gip' for some reason.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

EvenWorseOpinions posted:

There's a certain conjugation of 'can' in German that sounds like a rude word for lady bits depending on your accent. Getting berated for trying to say it in an English safe way got me a sound berating from my teacher when I was a wee lad

Yeah and, you know, a pretty famous philosopher whose name sounds exactly like the English word oval office. (And if your philosphy or German teacher told you otherwise, they were literally lying I mean it's not like you can't check this poo poo out for yourself - German-language videos aren't banned on Youtube.)

EvenWorseOpinions
Jun 10, 2017
Kant? I've never heard his name pronounced that way if that's who you mean, although I've never discussed him in German either

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I am pretty sure most American's are taught that "gypsy" means "carnie" and think "Gypping you" means being scammed by a carnival worker, rather than a roma person, who they have never met, and most don't even know exist.

EvenWorseOpinions
Jun 10, 2017
And half the people who are aware that gypsy refers to the Roma equate them with Romanians or Romans

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Kant? I've never heard his name pronounced that way if that's who you mean, although I've never discussed him in German either

Or any language other than English.

e: I'm perfectly willing to accept there are languages besides English whose speakers would not pronounce k-a-n-t basically like oval office but I don't know any so :shrug:

EvenWorseOpinions
Jun 10, 2017
Fair, but I don't know that I've discussed him in English even

I had always figured on it being pronounced as 'kannt'

Youtube pronounces it like I do, and youtube is never wrong
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FWNMtcVxa10

EvenWorseOpinions has a new favorite as of 01:27 on Aug 7, 2017

TheKennedys
Sep 23, 2006

By my hand, I will take you from this godforsaken internet
Any time I've heard him referenced in English it's pronounced just like "can't" (as an American would say it). I never knew otherwise :shrug:

relevant:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l9SqQNgDrgg

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Communism will help more white people than anyone else. Any equal measures unfairly provide less to minority populations just because there's less of them. Democracy is truly the tyranny of the mob.

Tiggum posted:

Katze. Hund. Maus. Kuh. Känguru. :confused:

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

Cute, adorable, and creepy at the same time!

I'm sorry, but sadly we don't have another word for black person and the color black in spanish.

Edit: If you want to be super PC, you can use African+nationality to avoid using black in spanish when referring to a human being.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
When I was a kid I thought negro was the acceptable term because I had seen educational clips about Negro League Baseball. Thankfully I only said it once in front of my parents before they told me not to say it.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

Desperado Bones posted:

I'm sorry, but sadly we don't have another word for black person and the color black in spanish.

Edit: If you want to be super PC, you can use African+nationality to avoid using black in spanish when referring to a human being.

Moreno.

Puppy Time
Mar 1, 2005

Turtlicious posted:

I am pretty sure most American's are taught that "gypsy" means "carnie" and think "Gypping you" means being scammed by a carnival worker, rather than a roma person, who they have never met, and most don't even know exist.

I have never heard carnies called anything but carnies, and have only heard "gypsy" in reference to the various travelling peoples. (Particularly the European ones.)

Granted, we mostly believe that those people exist in the same way that Native Americans do (they existed Long Ago and all went extinct like knights and buccaneers and racism).

Plom Bar
Jun 5, 2004

hardest time i ever done :(
My dad said "colored" all the time and I was 21 before I learned it was unacceptable.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

Plom Bar posted:

My dad said "colored" all the time and I was 21 before I learned it was unacceptable.

My grandparents were missionaries in South Africa, so naturally they would never teach young Rolo to refer to them as the colords or negros because god doesn't want me holding myself in higher regards simply because I'm white.

In hindsight I'm pretty sure they were there to support apartheid.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
no fun allowed

https://twitter.com/TrickstarBrave/status/894096342997389312

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

:kimchi: Tater Love :kimchi:

Rolo posted:

My grandparents were missionaries in South Africa, so naturally they would never teach young Rolo to refer to them as the colords or negros because god doesn't want me holding myself in higher regards simply because I'm white.

In hindsight I'm pretty sure they were there to support apartheid.

Doesn't "coloured" have a specific definition in SA that we don't have here?

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

zakharov posted:

Not sure, but teaching me to say it that way in the US wasn't cool (neither of them are South African by origin.) They also believed every single "this is killing kids" urban legend, and we got lectures all the time about the internet and my favorite:

"touching the laser."

EvenWorseOpinions
Jun 10, 2017

Desperado Bones posted:

Meant more in regards to the color or the beer. I recognize there's not really an alternative word, that the word in Spanish is the predecessor to the English word, and that being uncomfortable about using it is irrational, but here I am

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Turtlicious posted:

Fleetwood Mac has a lot to answer for.

poly and open-minded
Nov 22, 2006

In BOD we trust

violentlycitrus posted:

wow i work for a limo company and i drive a lot of taiwanese businessmen around and boy howdy have i been dying to ask them what the hell that word means forever

thats korean and it means "you" as the subject of the sentence.

fun fact: the ethnic slur for americans in general is yankee, which I always sort of found funny

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

poly and open-minded posted:

thats korean and it means "you" as the subject of the sentence.

fun fact: the ethnic slur for americans in general is yankee, which I always sort of found funny

Koreans have been growing up watching way too much Gone with the Wind.

A good slur needs to be offensive to the person you're using it against. I'm not sure if Yankee ever was.

EvenWorseOpinions
Jun 10, 2017
I've heard Germans use 'Ami', but it's pretty much just 'Yank'

It's kind of hard to make a blanket slur for Americans because every time someone tries we just coopt it
We also don't really understand how anyone could dislike us

EvenWorseOpinions has a new favorite as of 05:06 on Aug 7, 2017

Sarcopenia
May 14, 2014
The word Bae is close to sounding like the word for poop in Danish. It's spelt "bæ" and apparently it is hip and cool now for non Norwegians/Danes to use æ as an abbreviation of ae. it looks incredibly lame to me and makes me weirdly aware that æø&å are weird moon letters to the rest of the world.

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

Roma totally existed, they built the Coliseum.

EvenWorseOpinions
Jun 10, 2017
THE ROMANS

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Desperado Bones posted:

"In Spain, we don't talk about Australians."

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

I'm pretty sure in America it's a thing for white folks who want to say they're a hippy but want to sound like a snow flake to say they have Gypsy Souls. And they're almost always the type of people who flip out if you say anything else that could be considered racist or sexist.

Squidster
Oct 7, 2008

✋😢Life's just better with Ominous Gloves🤗🧤

zakharov posted:

My understanding is that Coloured referred to anybody who was mixed-race, whether that was Asian-Dutch, German-Zulu, etc. It was a pretty sizeable chunk of the population. Unlike Black folks, they were allowed to vote under Apartheit, but only as long as they voted for White candidates.

EDIT: oh poo poo the Coloured community also invented the Koeksister! Koeksisters are an iconic SA pastry made from braided dough infused with a cartoonishly American quantity of sugar. They're great.

Squidster has a new favorite as of 06:03 on Aug 7, 2017

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scholtz
Aug 24, 2007

Zorchin' some Flemoids

God, I HATE praying for people who have cancer, but ESPECIALLY brain cancer.