Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
It's hard to know if there was a really legitimate chance of him quitting or if it was just empty threats by both parties. Based on things I've read about other shows over the years, it sounds like that's actually pretty common. It happens like every other year with The Simpsons, for example.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shadok
Dec 12, 2004

You tried to destroy it once before, Commodore.
The result was a wrecked ship and a dead crew.
Fun Shoe
I'm not even sure that he was in contract renegotiations at that point. When he signed on to TNG in the first place, he signed a six-year contract, not least because his agent told him the series wouldn't last a year and he'd get a nice payout.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

I like when Beltran kept threatening to quit if he didn't get ridiculous X or Y demand out of Voyager in the hopes of being fired but they kept giving him everything he asked for.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Brawnfire posted:

They should at least stick a "platonic shape" in there that the computer can stick close to, so you aren't getting a Klingon Painsticking Throne when you ask for a chair to sit in.

Edit: I just realized I said "stick" three loving times in a single sentence. What just happened?

You got stuck

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

The Bloop posted:

ARTICLE
Star Trek: Discovery is almost here, and we’re getting a better look at what we can expect out of the new series. One of the most shocking things about the adaptation is the new physical take on the iconic Klingons. They are now bald, have different skin tones, and different costumes.

This certainly isn’t the first time the creatures have gotten a makeover, but this one is pretty drastic. So why the big change and how will it affect the show? Apparently, the new look isn’t the only thing that has changed about the species.

Klingons will have heightened senses because of their new features

According to the designer, Neville Page, the ridges act as extra-sensory receptors on the Klingons’ heads and backs. Per io9, this is because the Klingons are “apex predators” and would need this to make it to the top of the food chain. One of the Klingon actors, Mary Chieffo, went into detail about this new development.

"Obviously the hair was the biggest thing people noticed, or the lack thereof. And I will attest to the fact there is a reason my ridge goes back the way it does. There are sensors and pheromones…There is a whole reasoning behind it that is adhering to what has always been true in Klingon canon…So I deeply believe we are in line with what has come before but is also adding a new kind of nuance."

Although the franchise is staying strong with its theatrical film releases, it won’t be in the same vein as the new show. So the Klingons are free to look different in the movies from how they will look in the TV series.

This will probably help fans not to assume they are in the same universe.
/ARTICLE

the "different universe" explanation doesn't jive

Pretty loving speciest to refer to sentient people as "creatures". Starfleet really is a homo sapiens-only club.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Sir Lemming posted:

It's hard to know if there was a really legitimate chance of him quitting or if it was just empty threats by both parties. Based on things I've read about other shows over the years, it sounds like that's actually pretty common. It happens like every other year with The Simpsons, for example.

Stewart was a notorious straight-shirt, "no bullshit" type during the early years and didn't enjoy guys like Spiner and Frakes joking around all the time.

Also, the only member of The Simpsons' voice cast who openly hates the show is Harry Shearer. The rest of the cast happily keeps taking pay cuts every few years because they're just building their great-grandchildrens' college funds.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

Timby posted:

Stewart was a notorious straight-shirt, "no bullshit" type during the early years and didn't enjoy guys like Spiner and Frakes joking around all the time.

Nowadays I imagine he would be the one pulling practical jokes on set.

Trickjaw
Jun 23, 2005
Nadie puede dar lo que no tiene

Awesome! Just been watching the end of Gotham and Ras' al Ghulis played by Alexander Siddig, and he didn't even result to his growly evil voice used in DS9 s1

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Trickjaw posted:

Awesome! Just been watching the end of Gotham and Ras' al Ghulis played by Alexander Siddig, and he didn't even result to his growly evil voice used in DS9 s1

RA-O

VAN
TI
KA

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Trickjaw posted:

I've been saying Siddig needs to play Ra's for YEARS.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

shadok posted:

I'm not even sure that he was in contract renegotiations at that point. When he signed on to TNG in the first place, he signed a six-year contract, not least because his agent told him the series wouldn't last a year and he'd get a nice payout.

It's not like you go to jail if you break contract. The biggest consequence of doing so would probably be that Paramount (and perhaps/likely other Hollywood studios) would refuse to work with you again afterward, but Stewart wasn't from Hollywood; he could always just go back to the UK and do theatre again, and still be able to hit up the convention circuit if he wanted some extra spending money.

shadok
Dec 12, 2004

Fun Shoe

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

It's not like you go to jail if you break contract.

Sure, obviously you can try to renegotiate any contract at any time, and being willing to walk away is pretty good leverage. Denise Crosby and Wil Wheaton did have their agents negotiate to leave the show.

I'm just saying that for all the talk about the link between Stewart's contract and Picard being written into a deathly cliffhanger, all I've ever seen is stuff like Frakes saying "we all wondered if the studio was trying to threaten Patrick with renegotiations". Meanwhile on the writing side, all the writers say that Piller had been talking up the possibility of ending on a cliffhanger all season.

Has anyone ever seen an interview with Berman or Stewart or someone where they flat out said "we were renegotiating the contract and thought there was a chance Picard wouldn't be back in season 4"?

Edit: in other things I never knew about Star Trek, today I learned that Andy Robinson is 75, which means he was in his 50s when he made DS9. I always assumed he was in his early 30s! It actually changes my take on Garak a little bit.

shadok fucked around with this message at 00:29 on Aug 9, 2017

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
Piller said (in Fade In, I think) that he had been explicitly ordered to be prepared to write Picard out of the show.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Brawnfire posted:

They should at least stick a "platonic shape" in there that the computer can stick close to, so you aren't getting a Klingon Painsticking Throne when you ask for a chair to sit in.

Edit: I just realized I said "stick" three loving times in a single sentence. What just happened?

During the last time loop, you sent yourself a hypnotic suggestion back in time. So in the next few hours, when it looks like you're about to die, remember: the key to getting through it is "stick".

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Ask me about Briar Rose and Chicken Chaser.
One hour until the season premiere :riker:

shadok
Dec 12, 2004

Fun Shoe

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

Piller said (in Fade In, I think) that he had been explicitly ordered to be prepared to write Picard out of the show.

Huh, there it is. I stand corrected. (Hope that's not a spoiler, Jeb).

This kind of contradicts Ron Moore talking about Piller, who said, "Piller said as the season went on that he thought there should be a cliffhanger, which Star Trek had never done."

shadok fucked around with this message at 01:11 on Aug 9, 2017

Orv
May 4, 2011
...I wonder if them having like, twelves different scenes of people hanging off cliffs and buildings and stuff in the JJTrek movies was an intentional joke or if that's just become a too-easy shorthand for danger.

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

The Borg ship is undamaged

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

It's nice and creepy when Locutus calls Riker "Number One"

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAGH MY HEART

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Arglebargle III posted:

I think Riker should have left for his own ship at season 4.

Can you imagine if they had had the guts to basically split the show in two and show the adventures of two concurrent crews at the same time? Sometimes interacting, sometimes not? Would be easy now, but unheard of in 80s/90s tv.

Brawnfire posted:

You may be trying to tell yourself something...

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Jeb! Repetition posted:

It's nice and creepy when Locutus calls Riker "Number One"

Is that in the beginning of part 2?

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Aw Riker and the woman are making up a little bit.

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Arglebargle III posted:

Is that in the beginning of part 2?

I think so, I had to guess where it started because it's just one continuous episode in the version I'm watching.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Jeb! Repetition posted:

The Borg ship is undamaged

The ultimate wet fart of a cliffhanger resolution.

Be glad you only had to wait a day and not a summer.

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Oh poo poo the admiral's losing

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Astroman posted:

Can you imagine if they had had the guts to basically split the show in two and show the adventures of two concurrent crews at the same time? Sometimes interacting, sometimes not? Would be easy now, but unheard of in 80s/90s tv.

Spinoffs had already been a thing for a long time. According to the infallible Wikipedia, Happy Days (to pick an example) had no less than seven spinoff shows, and they would occasionally do crossover episodes or have characters who showed up on multiple shows.

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

"Nanites," she asks, as if anybody wouldn't know what those are by now.

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Sad stuff when Riker talks to the empty chair.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

He talks to it lest he mount it as a show of dominance.

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

The whole thing about letting go of Picard is heavy.

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Nice dreadful music. It's gonna make me miss that composer even more.

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

They're separating the saucer, but why only now?

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Ask me about Proposition 305

Do you like muskets?

Jeb! Repetition posted:

"Nanites," she asks, as if anybody wouldn't know what those are by now.

The first episode of season 3 was about nanites. Nanites almost destroyed the Enterprise. She was in the room when they talked about the nanites.

Troi is just the worst.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Jeb! Repetition posted:

They're separating the saucer, but why only now?

New fiscal year.

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Not a high bar but this is some of the best battle stuff in the series so far.

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

They rescued what once was Picard, but they're all likely to be wiped out in this battle and he's been fully assimilated, so...

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.

Jeb! Repetition posted:

Oh poo poo the admiral's losing

Data's tiny shake of his head when the comms get cut off is still loving great.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Jeb! Repetition posted:

They rescued what once was Picard, but they're all likely to be wiped out in this battle and he's been fully assimilated, so...

where are you in this?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Arglebargle III posted:

where are you in this?

They just entered Sector 001