Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

Mustached Demon posted:

Is Tampa Bay a conservative hell hole part of Florida?

You're implying there's any good part of florida?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
Everything is relative.

Generally speaking the panhandle area is more red so unfortunately karma will not be very instant here.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

got any sevens posted:

You're implying there's any good part of florida?

That's why I used a and not the. Was hoping it had plenty of conservative fuckwads to wash away.

FourLeaf
Dec 2, 2011

Mustached Demon posted:

Is Tampa Bay a conservative hell hole part of Florida?

Someone didn't read the rest of the article:

quote:

In Hafen’s eyes, there’s an additional problem, one that officials who work at the pleasure of politicians are reluctant to discuss.

“We’ve had a really hard time getting buy-in on sea-level rise on this side of the bay,” Hafen said. “Hillsborough County and Tampa are super conservative. They’re burying their heads in the sand.”

Pinellas County, on the other side of the bay, is more progressive about addressing climate-change impacts, Hafen said. But that didn’t happen until fairly recently. It took a nerdy University of Florida county extension agent to help open everyone’s eyes.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

'Dodgy' greenhouse gas data threatens Paris accord

quote:

Potent, climate-warming gases are being emitted into the atmosphere but are not being recorded in official inventories, a BBC investigation has found.
Air monitors in Switzerland have detected large quantities of one gas coming from a location in Italy.
However, the Italian submission to the UN records just a tiny amount of the substance being emitted.
Levels of some emissions from India and China are so uncertain that experts say their records are plus or minus 100%.
These flaws posed a bigger threat to the Paris climate agreement than US President Donald Trump's intention to withdraw, researchers told BBC Radio 4's Counting Carbon programme.

Also when can we expect the next refugee crisis after Syria, and from where?

Ssthalar
Sep 16, 2007

Thug Lessons posted:

Climate misanthropy is a weird cult.

Cli'mate fh´tagn! *plunges knife into desk globus*

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

17th Separate Kryvyi Rih Tank Brigade named after Konstantin Pestushko
Look to my coming on the first light of the fifth sixth some day
Speaking of, what everyone in this thread already knew, courtesy of a leaked government report draft: Climate Change is already having a measurable and drastic impact on the US.

D.Ork Bimboolean
Aug 26, 2016

Grouchio posted:

'Dodgy' greenhouse gas data threatens Paris accord

Earth. Eventually.

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

Grouchio posted:

Arent places in Iran and India hitting the maximum temperatures humans can actually survive in? Cause that would be my guess.

CountFosco
Jan 9, 2012

Welcome back to the Liturgigoon thread, friend.

actionjackson posted:

Climate change destroying Florida is one of several reasons I'm okay with all of this

You don't get it man. With Florida gone all those Floridians are gonna come live in your city.

FourLeaf
Dec 2, 2011
Hm. What would be the effect of nuclear winter on global warming again? Random question I swear

Notorious R.I.M.
Jan 27, 2004

up to my ass in alligators

FourLeaf posted:

Hm. What would be the effect of nuclear winter on global warming again? Random question I swear

My understanding is that it largely depends on how far from the ground it is detonated because this affects the amount of particulate that can dim solar radiation.

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

FourLeaf posted:

Depending on magnitude, cooler temperatures for a few years caused by dimming then back to business, with a possible rebound causing the atmosphere to be even warmer than it'd have otherwise been.

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES
Wouldn't do anything to stymie ocean acidification either

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?
Yeah, it's basically just the same idea as aerosol sulfate injection. Unless we're continually nuking the planet, it won't really do much after a few years and temperatures will very rapidly rebound to where they "should" be.

Burt Buckle
Sep 1, 2011

The reduction in humans from nuclear war should also reduce our carbon footprint.

TheBlackVegetable
Oct 29, 2006
Use the nukes as emps, send us back to the stoneage without causing nuclear winter.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Notorious R.I.M. posted:

My understanding is that it largely depends on how far from the ground it is detonated because this affects the amount of particulate that can dim solar radiation.
It also depends on the composition of the areas you're targeting. Modern cities are far less combustible than WW2 cities, and on top of that, the mechanics of nukes work to suppress the fires that would result in the necessary firestorms - where WW2 bombings were designed to cause them. (The former knocks buildings down on top of the fires it set, the other opens buildings up and then sets them on fire.) Studies on nuclear winter are studies of the climatological effects of putting a ton of particulates high into the upper atmosphere, not studies of the climatological effects of actually nuking things.

e: I think the difference you're thinking of is the amount of fallout created. A ground burst irradiates large amount of dirt, and then lifts it into the air, where the only fallout from an air burst is the leftover parts of the bomb itself.

A Buttery Pastry fucked around with this message at 05:44 on Aug 9, 2017

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

Burt Buckle posted:

The reduction in humans from nuclear war should also reduce our carbon footprint.

It would, but it would also reduce carbon emissions induced global dimming, which would make warming accelerate.

Inglonias
Mar 7, 2013

I WILL PUT THIS FLAG ON FREAKING EVERYTHING BECAUSE IT IS SYMBOLIC AS HELL SOMEHOW

Yeah. Believe it or not, using nuclear weapons remains a bad idea for all sorts of reasons (unless we're pushing massive spaceships)

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

Inglonias posted:

Yeah. Believe it or not, using nuclear weapons remains a bad idea for all sorts of reasons (unless we're pushing massive spaceships)

The safest thing for the world is to impeach trump immediately. Make Mike Pence president, fine, but then to make 100% sure Donald never finds out he was impeached by creating a Truman show type situation where we convince him that everybody loves him until the nuclear football is safely secured.

edit: I keep thinking this is the trump thread because I have those two thread open 24/7 so I apologize to everyone that had to read this post. We're also talking about nuclear weapons over there for a more scary reason.

Salt Fish fucked around with this message at 18:55 on Aug 9, 2017

TildeATH
Oct 21, 2010

by Lowtax

Thug Lessons posted:

Climate misanthropy is a weird cult.

Trying to come up with the burn meme for people who rationally appraise the situation is a dumb cult.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

TildeATH posted:

Trying to come up with the burn meme for people who rationally appraise the situation is a dumb cult.

Rationally appraising the situation doesn't lead normal people to smugly joke about the positive outcomes from the suicide of the least carbon emitting among us while living a high carbon lifestyle themselves.

NewForumSoftware
Oct 8, 2016

by Lowtax

TildeATH posted:

I don't think you can really fault people for this. At some point reality becomes overwhelming and you retreat to a place where you're forced to pretend anyone who's more pessimistic about the future than you just hates humanity. Clearly the only reason they disagree with Thug Lessons is because they just aren't as smart as him and suffer from 'sadbrains' and 'climate nihilism'.

It's pretty amazing that you'll have these people unironically drop the IPCC report as 'evidence' as if those talking about 2C+ by 2100 missed AR5 or something.

It really can't be understated how easy it is to just label your opposition as mentally ill and ignore anything further.

Trabisnikof posted:

Rationally appraising the situation doesn't lead normal people to smugly joke about the positive outcomes from the suicide of the least carbon emitting among us while living a high carbon lifestyle themselves.

Actually it does. just lol if you don't think comedy has always been a way to cope with existential dread.

It's adorable hearing white people at the tippity top of our socioeconomic pyramid tell others that they should care more about saving the world that only serves them. Bad news too, this is only going to get worse as time goes on. Nobody's going to fight to save a world that doesn't work for them.

NewForumSoftware fucked around with this message at 20:04 on Aug 9, 2017

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

It's not very adorable when people at the tip-top of the socioeconomic ladder smugly declare they won't help out because they'd rather keep engaging in hedonism than try. But that's the history of politics for you.

That attitude never lasts forever.

NewForumSoftware
Oct 8, 2016

by Lowtax

Trabisnikof posted:

It's not very adorable when people at the tip-top of the socioeconomic ladder smugly declare they won't help out because they'd rather keep engaging in hedonism than try.

The reality is very few people have the ability to "help" in any sort of meaningful way. What does "helping out" even look like?

You're essentially a first class passenger on the titanic trying to get water off the deck with a bucket calling anyone who doesn't help you a misanthrope. Maybe they just realize your bucket's doing nothing and don't want to waste time when they could be hugging their families while the ship sinks?

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

NewForumSoftware posted:

The reality is very few people have the ability to "help" in any sort of meaningful way. What does "helping out" even look like?

And here we are on the same circular argument where I'll point out the realities of the need for climate advocacy, community resilience and how even small reductions in emissions now can reduce long term harms.

Then you'll say that doesn't matter because harm reduction doesn't solve the problem and what's the point of trying to change anything if people are still starving in our current society.

Besides, we are talking about the people on the tip top of the socioeconomic ladder, remember? Those are the people most able to take meaningful action rather than act hedonistically.

NewForumSoftware
Oct 8, 2016

by Lowtax

Trabisnikof posted:

And here we are on the same circular argument where I'll point out the realities of the need for climate advocacy, community resilience and how even small reductions in emissions now can reduce long term harms.

Then you'll say that doesn't matter because harm reduction doesn't solve the problem and what's the point of trying to change anything if people are still starving in our current society.

Besides, we are talking about the people on the tip top of the socioeconomic ladder, remember? Those are the people most able to take meaningful action rather than act hedonistically.

Those aren't the people you're talking to though. The people able to take meaningful action are the 400 families that control the wealth in America. The people you're calling 'sadbrains' largely are advocating community resilience and climate advocacy. Disagreeing on whether putting led light bulbs will have any impact is irrelevant. It's not like the people you're talking to have said "gently caress it, I'm voting DJT full accelerationism all day every day" they simply do not see a possible future whether things get better. Screaming at them that changing their lightbulbs actually does something isn't going to change their mind. They don't think lack of LEDs is the reason our society isn't going to stop climate change in any meaningful way.

You need to focus on describing the future you want to see as opposed to attempting to demonstrate how many lives each twenty tons of carbon is worth.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

NewForumSoftware posted:

Those aren't the people you're talking to though. The people able to take meaningful action are the 400 families that control the wealth in America. The people you're calling 'sadbrains' largely are advocating community resilience and climate advocacy. Disagreeing on whether putting led light bulbs will have any impact is irrelevant. It's not like the people you're talking to have said "gently caress it, I'm voting DJT full accelerationism all day every day" they simply do not see a possible future whether things get better. Screaming at them that changing their lightbulbs actually does something isn't going to change their mind. They don't think lack of LEDs is the reason our society isn't going to stop climate change in any meaningful way.

You need to focus on describing the future you want to see as opposed to attempting to demonstrate how many lives each twenty tons of carbon is worth.

You're the one who brought up the "tip top of the socioeconomic ladder" and I think it is worse for them to do nothing and be hedonistic than to try and fight climate change even if on the margin. Sure, they're being selfish, but climate change is really bad.

You're literally arguing that the rich and powerful should spend their time enjoying themselves rather than fight climate change, to which I disagree.

NewForumSoftware
Oct 8, 2016

by Lowtax

Trabisnikof posted:

You're literally arguing that the rich and powerful should spend their time enjoying themselves rather than fight climate change, to which I disagree.

Where did I say that? Why is it so hard to just argue honestly? It's just sad that even on an internet subforum where we probably agree more than disagree you can't actually read a post/point and discuss it honestly. You have to retreat to these bizarre rhetorical flourishes (lol at "literally", spoken like a teenage girl) where you stuff so many words into someone else's mouth nobody even knows what's being said any more.

NewForumSoftware fucked around with this message at 21:04 on Aug 9, 2017

Shifty Nipples
Apr 8, 2007

It's already here, it's already happening, we are already screwed. To stop it from getting worse everyone everywhere needs to stop putting carbon into the atmosphere now but that is not going to happen.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

NewForumSoftware posted:

Where did I say that? Why is it so hard to just argue honestly? It's just sad that even on an internet subforum where we probably agree more than disagree you can't actually read a post/point and discuss it honestly. You have to retreat to these bizarre rhetorical flourishes (lol at "literally", spoken like a teenage girl) where you stuff so many words into someone else's mouth nobody even knows what's being said any more.

:ironicat:

NewForumSoftware posted:

a first class passenger on the titanic trying to get water off the deck with a bucket calling anyone who doesn't help you a misanthrope. Maybe they just realize your bucket's doing nothing and don't want to waste time when they could be hugging their families while the ship sinks?

When of course even in your dumb boat analogy the correct course of action would be to try use what power you have to assist the evacuation and help prepare people for survival.

The "tip top of the socioeconomic ladder" have power they should be using to help prepare surivirors rather than hugging their families while the ship sinks.

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

So if I'm 30, running my own business what are the best places to invest in land wise in the USA? I'm thinking Oregon (Southern and middle) and Washington right? Long term those areas (minus fires) wouldn't be deeply effected by flooding right? And living in LA (Pasadena area) is a bad idea right?

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Shifty Nipples posted:

It's already here, it's already happening, we are already screwed. To stop it from getting worse everyone everywhere needs to stop putting carbon into the atmosphere now but that is not going to happen.

There is a difference between the lovely future we have locked ourselves into and the worst climate future we can make. Reducing emissions reduces long term harm.

Car Hater
May 7, 2007

wolf. bike.
Wolf. Bike.
Wolf! Bike!
WolfBike!
WolfBike!
ARROOOOOO!

LionArcher posted:

So if I'm 30, running my own business what are the best places to invest in land wise in the USA? I'm thinking Oregon (Southern and middle) and Washington right? Long term those areas (minus fires) wouldn't be deeply effected by flooding right? And living in LA (Pasadena area) is a bad idea right?

Sault Ste Marie

NewForumSoftware
Oct 8, 2016

by Lowtax

Trabisnikof posted:

There is a difference between the lovely future we have locked ourselves into and the worst climate future we can make. Reducing emissions reduces long term harm.

Of course, but what "reduces emissions" How many emissions do you need to reduce for one life? The US carbon footprint averages about 20 tons/year, and we're emitting, as a species, 10000000000 tons of carbon a year. How much of an impact do you honestly think screaming at people "every little bit counts" is going to have? How many lives does 20 tons a year of carbon save? If I just killed myself today, how many lives would that save? Hint: the answer is 0.

Meanwhile, how many lives would it save if Australia totally stopped coal mining?

Femur
Jan 10, 2004
I REALLY NEED TO SHUT THE FUCK UP
they hooked on opiates/weed don't count on them for poo poo.

call to action
Jun 10, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Salt Fish posted:

The safest thing for the world is to impeach trump immediately. Make Mike Pence president, fine, but then to make 100% sure Donald never finds out he was impeached by creating a Truman show type situation where we convince him that everybody loves him until the nuclear football is safely secured.

edit: I keep thinking this is the trump thread because I have those two thread open 24/7 so I apologize to everyone that had to read this post. We're also talking about nuclear weapons over there for a more scary reason.

That's good please keep the retarded opinion that Pence would be better than Trump safely quarantined in that thread

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Once again NFS lashes out at anyone who isn't doing anything, or is doing anything, or isn't doing something, or something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChairMaster
Aug 22, 2009

by R. Guyovich
I find it pretty hard to believe that there still exist people who have read a single report on any climate issue in the last two years who seriously believe that reducing your personal emissions means poo poo to anyone in any point in time or in any part of the world. You people are being ridiculous. I don't know how the 90's-00's hosed up so many people's perceptions of reality so badly, but it's getting to be a bit farcical at this point.

Anyways you're being hilariously disingenuous if you're trying to say that anyone posting in this thread has the power to do anything, just by virtue of the fact that we are technically globally wealthy. The power to make a difference lies in the hands of a very very small number of incredibly wealthy people, and not a single one of them posts here or will ever read anything in this thread. Those people are the actual top of the socioeconomic ladder, they're the ones with the power, and they are never going to do a drat thing to even try to mitigate the disastrous future that is headed our way. They've got theirs and we can all get hosed for all they care. If you want to make a difference then start trying to get people to throw IEDs at them whenever they show their faces in public, try to get people to drive trucks full explosives or armed personnel through their gates and gun them down or something. Those are the actions you should be advocating if you want to make a positive change in the world, not "buy a hybrid car and vote Democrat so we can participate in the hilariously ineffectual and lackluster Paris Accord".

In the mean time, I'm gonna see if I can get citizenship in New Zealand before global civilization falls apart. It seems a bit safer.