Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Notorious R.I.M.
Jan 27, 2004

up to my ass in alligators

spacetoaster posted:

I'm not really defending Joe, he's said some pretty dumb things, but I don't think he's ever pretended to be anything other than an idiot comedian with opinions.

It turns out that giving people a mouthpiece to promulgate dangerous opinions is bad whether or not you agree with those opinions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Zeroisanumber posted:

Stroud made an interesting show that showcased actual survival skills and he only stopped because that poo poo was legit destroying his body.

He started doing it again lately, and it's clear he's moving slower than he used to (not that he ever really rushed about), and many of the episodes has his son or Bob Wilson along. Stroud rules, and now that I've said that I'm sure someone will disclose he's a monarchist or something horrible.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

Captain_Maclaine posted:

He started doing it again lately, and it's clear he's moving slower than he used to (not that he ever really rushed about), and many of the episodes has his son or Bob Wilson along. Stroud rules, and now that I've said that I'm sure someone will disclose he's a monarchist or something horrible.

Nah, he's a chill Canadian dad. I met him once after his band played a concert at a venue in my town. Told him that my dad loved his show and he wrote him a little note on the back of his set list. Dad thought it was awesome.

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 226 days!

Jeb! Repetition posted:

Well yeah, I'm always the first to say fantasy is fascist, I was just pointing out that in modern editions of D&D the genders are mechanically equal.

The counterpoint there would be self-consciously progressive fantasy like The Wizard of Oz.

A lot of the race stuff comes from Wagner, who was also the inspiration for a lot of the development of racism itself. The races in the Ring Cycle include men, elves, gods, valkyries, and heroes. A lot of the Aryan poo poo makes more sense when you realize it's Wagner fanfic about how the writer is secretly from the race of heroes.

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Ask me about Briar Rose and Chicken Chaser.

Hodgepodge posted:

The counterpoint there would be self-consciously progressive fantasy like The Wizard of Oz.

A lot of the race stuff comes from Wagner, who was also the inspiration for a lot of the development of racism itself. The races in the Ring Cycle include men, elves, gods, valkyries, and heroes. A lot of the Aryan poo poo makes more sense when you realize it's Wagner fanfic about how the writer is secretly from the race of heroes.

I guess I should specify I mean the Tolkien fantasy tradition.

Admiral Ray
May 17, 2014

Proud Musk and Dogecoin fanboy
Dang wrong thread.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Admiral Ray posted:

Dang wrong thread.

Or maybe right thread?

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Notorious R.I.M. posted:

dangerous opinions

Like what?

Notorious R.I.M.
Jan 27, 2004

up to my ass in alligators

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aJeGeclGDpQ&t=1910s

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012

lmao literally a snake oil salesman

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Yeah.

quote:

“We have to get away from “treatment” based thinking and the concept of diseases because they don’t really exist. Also, the idea that others will take care of you is a dangerous mindset. Learn about raw living foods, detoxification, and fasting and take back your power.” This is not medical advice or an attempt to diagnose or treat any so-called “disease.” All communication on and from this website is for information purposes only. True wellness always trumps illness. Be Well!

spacetoaster has issued a correction as of 03:13 on Aug 9, 2017

Montasque
Jul 18, 2003

Living in a hateful world sending me straight to Heaven

Admiral Ray posted:

There's also this handy thing which reveals that wow dudes are really really really discouraged from nursing n poo poo.

http://www.randalolson.com/2014/06/14/percentage-of-bachelors-degrees-conferred-to-women-by-major-1970-2012/

Computers used to be interesting and nerdy. Then in the 90s they became creepy and nerdy.

That's my hot take on how this happened.

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything
doesn't Rogan sell untested brain pills that are supposed to make you smarter

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Ague Proof posted:

doesn't Rogan sell untested brain pills that are supposed to make you smarter

IDK but he's always talking about taking test (testosterone) which is bad in many ways.

My uncle took a lot of it and died from cancer at 72. He thought it was worth it though. Still a bad thing in my opinion.

Qu Appelle
Nov 3, 2005

"If a COVID-19 pandemic occurs, public health officials may have additional instructions, such as avoiding close contact with others as much as possible, and staying home if someone in your household is sick." - Official insights from Public Health: Seattle & King County staff

spacetoaster posted:

IDK but he's always talking about taking test (testosterone) which is bad in many ways.

My uncle took a lot of it and died from cancer at 72. He thought it was worth it though. Still a bad thing in my opinion.

Testosterone is good and fun, but you should be really taking it under a doctor's supervision as 1. poo poo can really go sideways if you're taking too much/the wrong form/you happen to have side effects.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Qu Appelle posted:

Testosterone is good and fun, but you should be really taking it under a doctor's supervision as 1. poo poo can really go sideways if you're taking too much/the wrong form/you happen to have side effects.

That's exactly what he did (took too much too long).

I mean, he was banging 20 year olds and lifting weights til the end so I guess it was what he wanted out of life. :shrug:

It just stands out to me that rogan is always talking about doing test.

Montasque
Jul 18, 2003

Living in a hateful world sending me straight to Heaven
Joe Rogan was a Bernie dude who voted for Gary Johnson.

Admiral Ray
May 17, 2014

Proud Musk and Dogecoin fanboy

spacetoaster posted:

That's exactly what he did (took too much too long).

I mean, he was banging 20 year olds and lifting weights til the end so I guess it was what he wanted out of life. :shrug:

It just stands out to me that rogan is always talking about doing test.

yeah, i can see that gently caress a lotta peeps up. like when i get old enough i'll prolly take it cause gently caress slowly wasting away, but it'll be under the supervision of a doc that ideally wants me to live longer to pay them more.

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012

Montasque posted:

lmao

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Jeb! Repetition posted:

I guess I should specify I mean the Tolkien fantasy tradition.

Even then it can't be overstated how often those who shamelessly rip off Tolkein miss the point. Even Shadows of Mordor comes off as pretty different from what's become 'typical' fantasy settings given there's a big emphasis on how Elves are super different physically and spiritually from everyone else.

Otherwise you're looking at maybe Warcraft, where the Orcs are basically the protagonists and humans tend to cause more problems than they solve. I'm reminded of reviews of the Warcraft movie saying that the big CGI green people were the only good parts of the movie by far.

And with D&D and other roleplaying settings, everyone does it exactly the way they want, whether that's their own progressive fantasy or whatnot, so it's a really bad idea to tar the whole genre with the 'probably racist' brush when you have no idea what people are doing with it. Believe me, when people are expressing their problematic worldviews through fantasy, it isn't subtle. (check out FATAL And Friends in Trad Games for lots of fun)

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler
here come dat gary

MizPiz
May 29, 2013

by Athanatos

Montasque posted:

Honestly, it wouldn't make sense if it happened any other way.

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012
whats aleppo

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler
http://i.imgur.com/ZbE4WNJ.gifv

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007

Jeb! Repetition posted:

Is it regressive for me to say I don't want us to make an AI smart enough that we ethically have to give it rights

this is a man who wants to gently caress robots right here

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012
:roboluv: goon goals

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

logikv9 posted:

here come dat gary

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Homeless Friend posted:

this is a man who wants to gently caress robots right here

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Ask me about Briar Rose and Chicken Chaser.

Inescapable Duck posted:

Otherwise you're looking at maybe Warcraft, where the Orcs are basically the protagonists and humans tend to cause more problems than they solve. I'm reminded of reviews of the Warcraft movie saying that the big CGI green people were the only good parts of the movie by far.

Was that movie even released outside of China?

Inescapable Duck posted:

And with D&D and other roleplaying settings, everyone does it exactly the way they want, whether that's their own progressive fantasy or whatnot, so it's a really bad idea to tar the whole genre with the 'probably racist' brush when you have no idea what people are doing with it. Believe me, when people are expressing their problematic worldviews through fantasy, it isn't subtle. (check out FATAL And Friends in Trad Games for lots of fun)

Half-orcs were still just black-coded as recently as 3.5 edition. Not by the players, by the game itself. And that was the first edition that tried really hard to be PC lol.

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

oh don't worry, I can't smell asparagus piss, it's in my DNA

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

Jeb! Repetition posted:

Half-orcs were still just black-coded as recently as 3.5 edition. Not by the players, by the game itself. And that was the first edition that tried really hard to be PC lol.

also pretty universally rape-babies until 4th specifically made half-orcs specifically the descendants of folks who grew up on the border of orc and human territories

DOCTOR ZIMBARDO
May 8, 2006

Montasque posted:

Computers used to be interesting and nerdy. Then in the 90s they became creepy and nerdy.

That's my hot take on how this happened.

the earning potential of computer science went way way up. in the late 70s, when my dad took a course on typing and computer use in business school, his peers laughed at him for taking a class about doing the secretary's work. once it became clear that computers could make shitloads of money it stopped being anything approaching "women's work" (both in terms of: work that a woman could do while starting a family, and work that men would accept women doing instead of them [thats part of where the creeps come from]) and that's when the participation rate started dropping.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Jeb! Repetition posted:

You'd be forgiven for thinking that, but apparently it was.

And 3.5 was garbage in every sense, no surprise there.

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

https://twitter.com/libbycwatson/status/895044432352997376

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Jeb! Repetition posted:

Yes, for some reason.

Zerg Mans
Oct 19, 2006

This take is hot enough that it would give people used to normal incandescent lights a fluorescent light headache

Zerg Mans
Oct 19, 2006

Darkman Fanpage posted:

ive always been a bigger stroud fan because the premise of his show was (from what the audience could see, no knowing if he cheated) just him and his camera equipment in the wild. also he didnt kill critters without a good reason or constantly drink his own piss while telling everybody how he was in the sas.

My main problem with surviorman was that he basically explained a few things that might work for survival but in the show his main source of actual survival was the time limit on his wilderness stints - you can survive going a week without food, it's just not good for you.

Also one time he tried to use the lens from a camera to focus the sun to start a fire and it didn't work and then he went off camera and came back and it totes worked! and it felt pretty obviously made up.

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012

lol

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013

Hodgepodge posted:

also replaying skyrim now, it reads as a hilarious parody of trump and the alt-right; it's kind of amazing

I loved how most alt-right people think the Thalmor are Jews. Yeah, the guys wearing black leather trenchcoats who advocate for racial supremacy and started a world war because they wanted to eradicate other races are the Jews.

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012
the purring dunmer

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

Hodgepodge posted:

also replaying skyrim now, it reads as a hilarious parody of trump and the alt-right; it's kind of amazing

How? The rebels are literally Nord supremacists who want to kick out all the other races from Skyrim, and they're treated like a legitimate choice.

Fallout: New Vegas is way more relevant.