Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...

Archer666 posted:

I sometimes wonder the reverse. Like people who are all WOMEN COMING TO GET YOUR GHOSTINGBUSTERS and who put a movie on a pedestal for its casting choices and say its such an important movie... do they ever feel slightly embarrassed when that movie turns out to be a pile of poo poo?

Remember how people went after James Rolfe when he made that video saying he wasn't going to go see it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
Okay, sorry to bother everyone but I have a quick question.

What do you all feel about Contrapoints? I must admit I really like the videos that they are putting out, lots of interesting information and fantastic visuals really help. But at the same time there seems to be a lot of people who are watching it and going "well maybe I shouldn't be so poo poo" and that struck me as being both really cool, and also suprising. Like I can't quite understand how Contra has been able to put ideas down in such a way as to make people stop and think. It's amazing to me.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

Josef bugman posted:

What do you all feel about Contrapoints?

No strong feelings one way or another.

Archer666
Dec 27, 2008

Max Wilco posted:

Remember how people went after James Rolfe when he made that video saying he wasn't going to go see it?

Yeah that was pretty stupid of them and a massive overreaction. I'd feel pretty embarrassed if I saw people I'm friends with do that kind of thing.

Josef bugman posted:

What do you all feel about Contrapoints? I must admit I really like the videos that they are putting out, lots of interesting information and fantastic visuals really help. But at the same time there seems to be a lot of people who are watching it and going "well maybe I shouldn't be so poo poo" and that struck me as being both really cool, and also suprising. Like I can't quite understand how Contra has been able to put ideas down in such a way as to make people stop and think. It's amazing to me.

She's nice. Can bring across decent ideas and is fairly creative in the way she makes her videos.

DoubleCakes
Jan 14, 2015

Josef bugman posted:

Contrapoints isn't just good, she's important. She's one of the smartest voices in YouTube political culture.

Paladin
Nov 26, 2004
You lost today, kid. But that doesn't mean you have to like it.

Josef bugman posted:

What do you all feel about Contrapoints?

I think the most important thing Contra has going for her is an understanding of other people's world views. Contra knows what "on the fence and slightly unsettled by unusual behavior but honestly willing to listen" types will respond to and doesn't try to jump straight to the usual talking points.

See, a lot of people will read language of inclusivity and openness as preachiness and condescension-- only because they've NEVER had to seriously question their worldview or interpretation of reality outside of what mass society tells them is normal. If someone grew up in a worldview bubble, this silly internet video could be literally one of the first times they've been called out for their opinions in their lifetime. It can easily feel like an intensely personal attack rather than the innocuous explanation it was intended to be.

Contra's just really good at explaining things, building an explanation from the ground-up without assuming the listener agrees with any points, shares a worldview, or has any necessary prior knowledge.

cat doter
Jul 27, 2006

gonna need more cheese...australia has a lot of crackers
I was watching the plinkett ghostbusters review and I was wondering, why do visual elements continually appear out of the frame? like, the movie's actually 16:9 and those black bars are hardcoded so those elements can appear outside the frame? why????

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

3D

cat doter
Jul 27, 2006

that still doesn't make sense!!! that's not a reason!!!

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono

IronicDongz posted:

his time in war has made him disillusioned with humanity(and himself due to watching the deaths of his friends), to the point where he would rather see himself as a pig than a human.

fio sees through this illusion at one point prior to him discussing his wartime experiences, as with her insight she sees his true human nature through his facade.
if you've ever heard the derogatory term "war pig" before, that's the reason for why it's specifically a pig rather than another lowly animal(as well as pigs just being something easily understandable as 'dirty' or less than human). he's filled with guilt for what he was a part of(war), and his appearance is a reflection of how he views himself.

I feel like if you explained this to him, he'd complain that it should have been clear, like he got cursed by a witch or something--or still not get it and again, remark about how they could have shown the real source of the curse.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

cat doter posted:

that still doesn't make sense!!! that's not a reason!!!

When you watch that in 3D the objects shoot out at you.

Instead of making two different versions where one is not 3D and doesn't have the poo poo flying out they didn't and left it.

When I saw Guardians 1 in 3D it did that too and it was kind of rad.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

Mr. Fowl posted:

I feel like if you explained this to him, he'd complain that it should have been clear, like he got cursed by a witch or something--or still not get it and again, remark about how they could have shown the real source of the curse.
there's a scene in a theatre where porco directly says the words to another guy who is trying to get porco back in Italy's airforce, "Better a pig than a facist", and if doug didn't get that it's a point about how he is holding onto guilt for what he was a part of in the past and how he views human beings who do these kinds of things lower than pigs... then in order to be direct enough for doug to understand it, it would need to be blunt enough as to be patronizing to the audience

like that's already so direct

Junior Jr.
Oct 4, 2014

by sebmojo
Buglord

Augus posted:

Jim Sterling's gotten himself into a bit of a dilemma: how do you review a game that you really liked until your enjoyment was ruined by a gamebreaking bug?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mpv2acIgzYE

DrVenkman posted:

TotalBiscuit had a Twitter meltdown about HELLBLADE and how the permadeath system is 'Anti consumer', all without having played the game.

Lol at jim for making GBS threads on hellblade because of a glitch.

and lmao at total dipshit totalbiscuit for getting triggered by permadeath in a game, that idiot showed he was a complete butthurt human being after getting pissy at a trap question. what a manchild.

Also hellblade is "interesting" to say the least, I'm not a fan of story-driven games but I guess this is kind of unique compared to other indie games.

cat doter
Jul 27, 2006

boy that's one hell of a post

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

I demand to be taken seriously

:aronrex:

Josef bugman posted:

Contra is real good and cool, I've started getting into her videos and they're really enjoyable watches. Contra has great points and argues them in a way where she easily communicates them but it doesn't feel like they're dumbed down.

IronicDongz posted:

there's a scene in a theatre where porco directly says the words to another guy who is trying to get porco back in Italy's airforce, "Better a pig than a facist", and if doug didn't get that it's a point about how he is holding onto guilt for what he was a part of in the past and how he views human beings who do these kinds of things lower than pigs... then in order to be direct enough for doug to understand it, it would need to be blunt enough as to be patronizing to the audience

like that's already so direct
Doug Walker is not good at grasping understanding themes even when they're fairly on the nose like in Porco Rosso, news at 11.

Like I love Porco Rosse and consider it my fave or second favourite Ghibli film but it's pretty well telegraphed that his being a pig is symbolic since the story is told from his perspective and it's all about how he sees himself.

MisterBibs posted:

I get it (I follow him, aware of his abused past, etc) but I wish I could better understand the headspace of it, for lack of a better term. Specifically, I wish I understood the lack of some sort of internal "Self, something here is dangerously wrong and we need to change something right now" at some point before he's eating 2500 calories a meal. Like, sure, if you already are at that stage you've developed a learned helplessness, but before that?

I'm not making fun of him, I'm just :psyduck: about how someone gets to that point.

You really don't have much of an understanding of mental health do you?

Testekill fucked around with this message at 03:19 on Aug 10, 2017

adamcantsleep
Mar 20, 2016

DoubleCakes posted:

Contrapoints isn't just good, she's important. She's one of the smartest voices in YouTube political culture.

Exactly. I only heard of Contra a few months ago, but I watched all her videos in a couple of days once I found her. She's a vital voice for Youtube and her videos are not well-scripted, but nicely shot as well. The worst thing you can say about her channel is that her earliest vids have an obvious RLM influence at times, but she shook those off quickly (and has mentioned consciously moving away from Stoklasa jokes/delivery/editing in her commentary vids on her ContraPointsLive channel).

Just a rambling way of saying "Contra is so good, you'd have to dig back to the inevitable clumsiness of early vids to have any substantial critiques of her work"

Puppy Time
Mar 1, 2005

Archer666 posted:

I sometimes wonder the reverse. Like people who are all WOMEN COMING TO GET YOUR GHOSTINGBUSTERS and who put a movie on a pedestal for its casting choices and say its such an important movie... do they ever feel slightly embarrassed when that movie turns out to be a pile of poo poo?

I mean, I still think the casting choices are kind of important and pretty groundbreaking, given how underrepresented women are in movies in general, they just don't mean that a movie will be particularly good.

I have to admit, as mediocre as it was, it was really, really thrilling to see some women be super awesome and actiony in a movie while not dressed, posed, and shot in a manner to titillate straight dudes. It was like, dang, that must be what action movies feel like for guys all the time!

Doesn't have to be good to get that feeling, which felt pretty important to me as someone who grew up starving for cool kickass ladies punchin stuff and had to settle for "Yeah, she can punch, but her main purpose is a skintight catsuit zipped down to show off her bombass tiddies!"

ETA:

MisterBibs posted:

I get it (I follow him, aware of his abused past, etc) but I wish I could better understand the headspace of it, for lack of a better term. Specifically, I wish I understood the lack of some sort of internal "Self, something here is dangerously wrong and we need to change something right now" at some point before he's eating 2500 calories a meal. Like, sure, if you already are at that stage you've developed a learned helplessness, but before that?

I'm not making fun of him, I'm just :psyduck: about how someone gets to that point.

OK as someone who has had problems in a different vein, the thing is, even if you know something is wrong and needs to change, you need a lot of mental wherewithal to work your way to that change. It can appear to the brain like a completely impossible task. So you get stressed out about it. Then you think about how poo poo you are, because this task is a normal, easy thing for people who are normal. Since it's so impossible for you, this is definitely evidence that you're just a broken piece of poo poo human who will never amount to anything ever, and you shouldn't even try. In fact, it's probably better to backslide: your compulsion feels good and comfortable, and hey, even if it hastens your death, maybe that just means less suffering for you, because you're incapable of living a normal, healthy life, because you're a garbage person with an inability to function like a normal human being, so all you have to look forward to in life is more of the same being garbage.

When you're in the chokehold of mental illness, normal poo poo like, "No, wait, that is a stupid and unrealistic way of thinking, I can in fact do things like be not garbage!" is completely impossible. I cannot emphasize enough how impossible it is. Like, you know how you perceive reality with your brain? Your brain is now lying to you, but you have no possible way to counteract that, because it's your fukken brain. There is no other method of perception. The best you can do is go, "Welp, I know this rear end in a top hat is lying to me, so I won't make any decisions or actions, and I will wait until it gets tired of this and decides to cooperate again."

You're never going to be able to understand mental illness logic, because it is logic that only works in the person's brain. That's why it's a disorder. The best you can do is try to help them keep a holding pattern and support them emotionally until their piece of poo poo brain quits being the worst rear end in a top hat.

Puppy Time fucked around with this message at 03:32 on Aug 10, 2017

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

I can see both sides of it. One the one hand, if even one little girl was inspired, that's worth it. Representation is totally important, and we really should have more women protagonists that are awesome, and I'm happy to see things like Wonder Woman, Fury Road, and Lucy that can accomplish that and still be a good movie

On the other hand, Sony definitely tried to exploit a "controversy" that was only a small slice of the internet being as awful as they always are. "Internet Trolls get mad and dislike a video" shouldn't be a national news story, ever.

cat doter
Jul 27, 2006

I think in a lot of cases feminist critics want to change attitudes, not markets, so you get cases where you get an odd kind of capitalist feminism advocating for poo poo like a terrible ghostbusters remake, when the intent is to instead get writers to remember that women exist too and to think harder about their inclusion and representation in stories

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Puppy Time posted:

I mean, I still think the casting choices are kind of important and pretty groundbreaking, given how underrepresented women are in movies in general, they just don't mean that a movie will be particularly good.

I have to admit, as mediocre as it was, it was really, really thrilling to see some women be super awesome and actiony in a movie while not dressed, posed, and shot in a manner to titillate straight dudes. It was like, dang, that must be what action movies feel like for guys all the time!

Doesn't have to be good to get that feeling, which felt pretty important to me as someone who grew up starving for cool kickass ladies punchin stuff and had to settle for "Yeah, she can punch, but her main purpose is a skintight catsuit zipped down to show off her bombass tiddies!"

Yeah, when people celebrate it, it's for what it accomplishes culturally by existing. That's a question separate from how good it is as a movie--most movies are bad but they circulate culturally all the same.

Puppy Time
Mar 1, 2005

WampaLord posted:

I can see both sides of it. One the one hand, if even one little girl was inspired, that's worth it. Representation is totally important, and we really should have more women protagonists that are awesome, and I'm happy to see things like Wonder Woman, Fury Road, and Lucy that can accomplish that and still be a good movie

On the other hand, Sony definitely tried to exploit a "controversy" that was only a small slice of the internet being as awful as they always are. "Internet Trolls get mad and dislike a video" shouldn't be a national news story, ever.

Yeah, that was definitely just generally dumb. The whole thing felt like way too much of a tempest in a teapot.

business hammocks posted:

Yeah, when people celebrate it, it's for what it accomplishes culturally by existing. That's a question separate from how good it is as a movie--most movies are bad but they circulate culturally all the same.

That and the new Star Wars had my inner 12-year-old fukken PSYCHED. It was the most amazing feeling, even if the rest of Ghostbusters was just kinda eh. (Star Wars was pretty good. Granted, it's already catering to me by 1) being Star Wars and 2) having Kylo Ren. Unstrung and conflicted villains who are also makey-outy-lookin are the best!)

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Adam Driver without the beard is kind of getting into Rondo Hatton territory for me.

FoldableHuman
Mar 26, 2017

Intrinsic Field Marshal posted:

I really have the feeling Vidme is going to be around for awhile as more and more Youtubers get shafted by the content ID system and the whole DMCA fiasco. Dailymotion and Vimeo have been around a long time and havent gone bellyup.

Vimeo and Daily Motion have actual business plans (premium service and France, respectively) where VidMe is run by two frat bros who like to throw down in the comments with people who say mean things about them. Their entire business is a hilarious trainwreck of mismanagement. I mean, to get paid you have to tell them to cash you out, and they just pay pal the money to you. "Get paid" is a cornerstone of their platform, and they don't have actual payment infrastructure in place.

Bakeneko
Jan 9, 2007

It’s great to see Hollywood taking more risks, but that comes with its own set of problems. If the movie sucks and ends up bombing at the box office, it’ll send a message to the studio that taking that risk was a bad thing after all, and they’ll stop doing it. An excellent female Ghostbusters film bringing in a ton of money might have started a new wave of female-led action-comedies; instead the opposite might end up happening. They already cancelled the sequel they were planning to make.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Didn't they just announce the sequel at Comic Con this year?

Bakeneko
Jan 9, 2007

I didn't know that. I know they had a whole franchise planned before the first one was released, but then they shelved that idea after that film's poor performance. I guess someone at the studio changed their mind again.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

Bakeneko posted:

If the movie sucks and ends up bombing at the box office, it'll send a message to the studio that taking that risk was a bad thing after all, and they'll stop doing it. An excellent female Ghostbusters film bringing in a ton of money might have started a new wave of female-led action-comedies; instead the opposite might end up happening.

That's kind of what makes me hesitant to praise GB2016, you can say it's nice if it gave any young girls at all something nice for once, but the issue is that it's also quite possibly doomed further efforts to that direction for the next recent bit because movie execs are panicky clowns, only reason it bombed had to have been because nobody wants to watch big movies about the wimmins obviously, so we just gotta do less of that! And to go into just a bit more, like obviously any effort to that side of things is good, I'm not saying "Better to not try at all" or anything stupid like that, just that I really wish there'd been a better offering to try and make the push than what we got.

Yardbomb fucked around with this message at 10:26 on Aug 10, 2017

kaleidolia
Apr 25, 2012

Bakeneko posted:

It’s great to see Hollywood taking more risks, but that comes with its own set of problems. If the movie sucks and ends up bombing at the box office, it’ll send a message to the studio that taking that risk was a bad thing after all, and they’ll stop doing it. An excellent female Ghostbusters film bringing in a ton of money might have started a new wave of female-led action-comedies; instead the opposite might end up happening. They already cancelled the sequel they were planning to make.

I think the new wave would have been "more uninspired reboots... but with women!" honestly. Stems from the same risk-aversion.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

Just how many times has Sony tried starting franchise that were stillborn? Amazing Spider-Man, After-Earth, Ghostbusters...

cat doter
Jul 27, 2006

sony seems like they're loving poo poo at picking good filmmakers for their franchises, like yeah let's get the guy who just kinda sits the camera down and lets the actors run wild and tries to edit it together into something resembling a movie to remake this highly crafted scripted comedy

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
Lest we forget, one of the more revealing bits to come out of the Sony Pictures hack was an email from the studio's now ex-president basically asking her staff in as many words "how the gently caress does Adam Sandler keep getting like $80m a picture from us to make cheap garbage like Grown Ups and That's My Boy?"

Sony is not a smart studio.

Sarcopenia
May 14, 2014

Bakeneko posted:

It's baffling that studios repeatedly pump money into sequels to expensive trash movies as long as they have a white, straight man as the lead but as soon as a female led movie bombs it's scorched pussy earth for years. It's not going to matter that movies like Hunger Games, Get Out and Wonder Woman make bank because every POC/female/queer movie has to be perfect forever for them to be considered possibly financially viable. Yes it is totally sound to only make movies for like 1/4 of your possible audience.
I'm really hoping that the Black Panther movie does well and it would also be nice to see an Asian or latinx lead like... ever.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

Ways your comedy could be better:
  • No mugging to the camera.
  • No genuine laughter at your own jokes.
  • Ad-libbing should never become ad-babbling.
  • No more last acts that are too serious and take place in a courtroom.
  • Have the leading-lady in on the humour and don't kill her off when the sequel starts.
  • Keep dancing to a minimum.
  • Less-obvious product-placement.
  • The audience's fun should come first, at the expense and suffering of the cast and crew.
  • On that note, no multi-million holiday home-videos that somehow merit a theatrical-release.
  • Be like Chris Morris:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BJmTIIpUvDQ

Inspector Gesicht fucked around with this message at 12:18 on Aug 10, 2017

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
With Sony now owning Funimation I am really wondering how autonomous the Funi guys will stay when it comes to licensing new shows. Will sony's awful business practices lead into another avalanche of poo poo licensed garbage like the post-Spirited Away anime scene?

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Arcsquad12 posted:

With Sony now owning Funimation I am really wondering how autonomous the Funi guys will stay when it comes to licensing new shows. Will sony's awful business practices lead into another avalanche of poo poo licensed garbage like the post-Spirited Away anime scene?

A lot of that is actually due to some crafty licensing from the Japanese side, locking Funimation into deals like "sure, you can have this popular series... but you gotta localize this utter piece of poo poo too".

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

Neddy Seagoon posted:

A lot of that is actually due to some crafty licensing from the Japanese side, locking Funimation into deals like "sure, you can have this popular series... but you gotta localize this utter piece of poo poo too".

Yeah this has been happening for a very long time.

Remember Central Park Media? When they grabbed the hit Slayers, they had to take 3-4 awful shows along with it.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I keep forgetting that Sony is a japanese company.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

You know we should really get the ban on block booking to apply to international treaties and localizations.

Kuroyama
Sep 15, 2012
no fucking Anime in GiP

Mokinokaro posted:

Yeah this has been happening for a very long time.

Remember Central Park Media? When they grabbed the hit Slayers, they had to take 3-4 awful shows along with it.

I think that's actually how 4Kids ended up with One Piece way back when.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The D in Detroit
Oct 13, 2012
LIFE is one of the best movies of the year and Sony should make Calvin their mascot and build everything around Calvin and have CALVIN-DAY

• Locked thread