Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Coydog posted:

Get that last one.

Yeah, offer $1200ish for the second one or just get the last one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.
poo poo. I've got a 250 in the Bay Area that needs the fairing removed.

Flikken
Oct 23, 2009

10,363 snaps and not a playoff win to show for it

Chichevache posted:

Leave it on the side of the road.

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib

Chichevache posted:

Chiche will give you a great deal on his bike.*

*oil not included.

Slide Hammer
May 15, 2009

I keep forgetting how drat nice the EX250 looks nakeified.

Isn't that an official model somewhere in the world? The Impulse? ...???

TheNothingNew
Nov 10, 2008

Slide Hammer posted:

Someone on here did one up in an Army style, OD green with white star, looked real nice. Wish I kept the pic.

Gay Nudist Dad
Dec 12, 2006

asshole on a scooter

Shogunner posted:

It's kind of a fashion statement, but one with reason. I think any sort of decent looking sportsbike would just get lifted into a pickup truck and taken if I ever left it on the street during the day. At night, I'm 100% someone would break into my building's front gate to do the same. This happened to 3 bicycles we had in the front of our building. I know two people in my office, who live near my neighborhood, that had their bikes taken (and then spotted) in the license plate-less sportbike gangs that cause chaos rolling through San Francisco on occasion.

This would all be way less likely if the bike kinda looked like poo poo. I'm probably going to ride it 500-1000 miles a year at max. I drive a newer BMW coupe and probably put 200 miles a month on it as it is. As for helmets, I'm getting a new Shoei. Not gonna ever leave it outside.

~ c i t y l i f e ~

edit: to clarify, if I get anything with any sort of value, i'll still pay for comprehensive insurance, but i'd rather avoid the annoyance in the first place

Shogunner posted:

I'm probably going to ride it 500-1000 miles a year at max.

Shogunner posted:

500-1000 miles a year at max.

:monocle:

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

Slide Hammer posted:

Isn't that an official model somewhere in the world? The Impulse? ...???

Stripped.

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL

seriously why even waste time asking us for advice, get your bar-cycle and park it in front of whatever starbucks you frequent

50-100 miles a year of riding, lmao

Revvik
Jul 29, 2006
Fun Shoe
Ride more than 500 miles a year. Get theft insurance and ignore the stress of a stolen bike because it won't be stopped by devices and buying something that looks too lovely to steal is selling yourself short on a great experience.

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib
A waiter at a restaurant I was just at couldn't help but stop to tell us how he and his friends were planning to get "dugattis" because they are the best bikes. But he was sure to tell me he would only take it out "once every month or two, because it's a special bike, you know".

I think some people just think of a motorcycle like a really special "other car". Like something they can dust off once in a while and enjoy, but not something for frequent use.

Kinda like my sex life. :downsrim:

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Even cars shouldnt be driven once a month, who are these idiots?

Supradog
Sep 1, 2004

A POOOST!?!??! YEEAAAAHHHH

Coydog posted:

I think some people just think of a motorcycle like a really special "other car". Like something they can dust off once in a while and enjoy, but not something for frequent use.

There are tons of 50+ year old riders here in Norway that own a cruiser of some kind, takes it out 2-3 weekends in the summer, and sells it 8 years later having run maybe 5000 km in total. Dressed in full dad-cosplay ofc.
Those bikes are usually pretty mint though, garage queens, but with old tires and starting to dry rot rubber hoses.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

Supradog posted:

There are tons of 50+ year old riders here in Norway that own a cruiser of some kind, takes it out 2-3 weekends in the summer, and sells it 8 years later having run maybe 5000 km in total. Dressed in full dad-cosplay ofc.
Those bikes are usually pretty mint though, garage queens, but with old tires and starting to dry rot rubber hoses.

That's pretty standard in America too.

Dutymode
Dec 31, 2008
Note that 6k is valve adjustment time.

captainOrbital
Jan 23, 2003

Wrathchild!
💢🧒

TheNothingNew posted:

Someone on here did one up in an Army style, OD green with white star, looked real nice. Wish I kept the pic.

That was mine; I'm glad someone else remembers that fun little bike.

Someday I will just buy a supercheap EX250 and then I can finally have a v-twin Tuono.

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib
#neverforgat I loved that bike :(

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.
Any thoughts on engine oil and final drive oil for a Super Ténéré?

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord

Mr. Wiggles posted:

Any thoughts on engine oil and final drive oil for a Super Ténéré?

10w40 for the engine and hypoid gear oil if it's like other shaft drives. Belray actually has an oil selector guide on their website. They'll recommend their own brand but you can get weight and capacity info super easy.

Schroeder91
Jul 5, 2007

What voltage should my vstrom be reading? Idle/running/etc?

Skreemer
Jan 28, 2006
I like blue.

Schroeder91 posted:

What voltage should my vstrom be reading? Idle/running/etc?

At idle it should be between 12 and 13. Get a reading at 3K or 5K RPM, and a reading when everything is off. In my experience (which is not considerable) the charging break even point is usually somewhere 1500 - 2000 RPM above idle. Though mind you this is old yamaha/honda/suzuki tech knowledge from their mid-80's to early 90's model.

Schroeder91
Jul 5, 2007

I'm getting ~ about 12.3 on but not running, 12.8-13 idle, and 14.4 running. It was doing all that pretty consistently, but I did sometimes idle at 14 at stoplights and after leaving the hospital earlier (not for me!) it was doing like 13.5 running and rising. By the time I got home it was doing 14.4 running, even taking off from a stop light it would immediately go to 14.4. I can't really understand why it acted like that though.

SpeedFreek
Jan 10, 2008
And Im Lobster Jesus!
As a long time rider of a tuned up Buell X1 Lightning I am considering one of the super cheap brand new EBR bikes for sale nearby. A friend just picked one up and I don't feel like I can just let that go without picking one up myself, I was considering a KTM dualsport leaning more to the sport side of things but now I'm not sure if I should go Austrian or American. I already have a 300EXC and the X1 along with a few other bikes and I don't plan on selling anything. If I add anything else to the collection should I make a somewhat impulse buy and pick up an EBR bike before I cant anymore?h

R-Type
Oct 10, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
My best friend got an EBR 1190RX earlier this year. We've both put a few miles and a bit of track on it and my general conclusion is:

Handling - sharp, nimble, pretty well balanced.
Suspension - needs a little dialing in, like any bike.
Ergos - I'm 6'0, 225 lbs and I felt a wee bit cramped on the bike. After 70 miles on the highway I was ready to come off of it. The seat is wonky and you'll probably want to get a replacement or rework from Sargent.
Brakes - No. drat rim brakes have warped on him twice now, both were replaced, I think there was one recall done. IMO the feel is nice at first but once they get heated tend to be unpredictable. You always feel a slight pulse and it gets worse the hotter they get. The bike's been in the shop 4 times now for this and they consider it a feature. Ug. Why they couldn't go with conventional rotors I don't know.
Engine: Pretty consistent fueling and power delivery. Low end torque is good, roll-on's are authoritative, But I'll be damned if that bike makes anywhere near it's claimed 180hp from the factory. Don't expect to win any 1/4 mile drag races or top end runs with your 1K buddies. The torque is very usable on the track and you won't have to be so hawkish on the shifter. Aeros on it seemed to get bad around 135mph. Then again it's not advertised as a 200mph bike, so set expectations accordingly.

The electronic display is pretty sharp and has decent features. I haven't really played around with it too much.

So, my overall opinion of it is kinda eh, I think it's really better off as a track bike, but the drat brake system is probably going to be the long term point of contention. EBR is shutting down production and god knows how long parts will be available. I think it's best quality is going to be a collection piece in a few decades. If you're looking for a DD you can certainly do better.

R-Type fucked around with this message at 04:32 on Aug 11, 2017

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Schroeder91 posted:

I'm getting ~ about 12.3 on but not running, 12.8-13 idle, and 14.4 running. It was doing all that pretty consistently, but I did sometimes idle at 14 at stoplights and after leaving the hospital earlier (not for me!) it was doing like 13.5 running and rising. By the time I got home it was doing 14.4 running, even taking off from a stop light it would immediately go to 14.4. I can't really understand why it acted like that though.

You're fine, don't worry.

Schroeder91
Jul 5, 2007

Slavvy posted:

You're fine, don't worry.

:cheers: I'm so happy to have a charging system that works now. I don't have to worry about getting stranded anymore and I can actually go for a ride now. Still gonna carry that jumper box though.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.

its all nice on rice posted:

10w40 for the engine and hypoid gear oil if it's like other shaft drives. Belray actually has an oil selector guide on their website. They'll recommend their own brand but you can get weight and capacity info super easy.

Awesome, thanks

TheNothingNew
Nov 10, 2008

captainOrbital posted:

Someday I will just buy a supercheap EX250 and then I can finally have a v-twin Tuono.

Better than I remembered, even. Thanks for sharing again.

Revvik
Jul 29, 2006
Fun Shoe

Revvik posted:

Nah cover comes off fine but the half a screw is sitting flush with the block. Going to try reverse bits tomorrow. And antidepressants.

Update on my SMT: reverse bits did not get the bolts out. Towed to shop. They could not get the bolts out. Quoted $4500 and change for new cases and the work to swap them over.

Anyone got a spare 990 engine lying around.

Revvik fucked around with this message at 19:33 on Aug 12, 2017

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Revvik posted:

Update on my SMT: reverse bits did not get the bolts out. Towed to shop. They could not get the bolts out. Quoted $4500 and change for new cases and the work to swap them over.

My sympathies, but you asked for it. You're saying "my abuser who keeps pounding me with a club just broke his club and is now stabbing me with the splinters, anyone got a lead on a new club?"

As Nero Danced
Sep 3, 2009

Alright, let's do this

captainOrbital posted:

I've been looking for that bike on the forum for ages, so thanks for posting it again. They should have sold it like that, it looks awesome.

Revvik
Jul 29, 2006
Fun Shoe

Ola posted:

My sympathies, but you asked for it. You're saying "my abuser who keeps pounding me with a club just broke his club and is now stabbing me with the splinters, anyone got a lead on a new club?"

You just don't understand our love he just gets upset is all. I just need to learn not to upset him.

R-Type
Oct 10, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

Revvik posted:

Do you have access to a drill press? you can block up the case cover to level it, clamp it, and start with a tiny hardened bit and cutting oil and drill through the bolt depth, and work your way up sizes till enough of it's material is removed to re-tap it. Sometimes i've been able to hollow the bolt out enough to get a punch on it and cave the cylinder in and extract it with the threads intact. I imagine most any machine shop could get you out of your pickle if you didn't have the tools.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

R-Type posted:

Do you have access to a drill press? you can block up the case cover to level it, clamp it, and start with a tiny hardened bit and cutting oil and drill through the bolt depth, and work your way up sizes till enough of it's material is removed to re-tap it. Sometimes i've been able to hollow the bolt out enough to get a punch on it and cave the cylinder in and extract it with the threads intact. I imagine most any machine shop could get you out of your pickle if you didn't have the tools.

Revvik posted:

You just don't understand our love he just gets upset is all. I just need to learn not to upset him.

Laughing so hard at how these posts are identical.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

Revvik posted:

Find a machine shop, ffs, that's some amateur hour bullshit. Absolute full on worst case you drill the bolt out, ruin the threads, and timesert the hole. 4500 for new cases and to swap the internals over, they can gently caress right off.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Z3n posted:

Find a machine shop, ffs, that's some amateur hour bullshit. Absolute full on worst case you drill the bolt out, ruin the threads, and timesert the hole. 4500 for new cases and to swap the internals over, they can gently caress right off.

Yeah this, it really isn't that difficult. Worst case you'll have to take the engine out of the bike but there's no way you need to split cases and poo poo to get a broken 6mm bolt out.

Gonna Send It
Jul 8, 2010

Revvik posted:

Did the bolt go in tight like it was crossthreaded or just snap when you went to tighten it? My first step to remove this would be reverse drill bits like you've done, then I would try welding it out by building up the bolt slowly and welding a nut onto it. If all that failed I'd resort to a $70 timesert kit. From what I can see of pictures online, it looks like there's plenty of meat for a timesert.

babyeatingpsychopath
Oct 28, 2000
Forum Veteran

I just got rid of the cable-driven tach and speedo on my 1976 Honda GL1000. Is there a specific product designed for closing off those holes? My current plan is to cut the ends off the old cables, plug the hole with JBWeld, and screw it back in, just so junk doesn't get into the front wheel hub or fuel pump gear.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Short SS button head screw?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Revvik
Jul 29, 2006
Fun Shoe
The responses here have me hopeful in not having to part out my SMT because I do love it but there's no justifying spending almost five grand to save it. So thanks for that.
I'm getting it dragged back home tomorrow and Tuesday I have some friends coming in from out of town to hopefully get it back on the road, and in time for my trip to Arizona in a little over a week.