Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice

Imagined posted:

I have a noob question. If you're not level 70 yet (actually 41) is it worth messing around with materia and poo poo.
Nah, any power boost they give would be too small to notice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jose Valasquez
Apr 8, 2005

Unless you are raiding materia really isn't going to be that important even at 70

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Jose Valasquez posted:

Unless you are raiding materia really isn't going to be that important even at 70

yeah but they make your pew pew numbers bigger

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.

Fister Roboto posted:

Oh also I forgot that there are green and blue crafted items, which can be NQ or HQ, and which have the same stats as NQ or HQ white gear of the same ilevel. So the color of the item literally means nothing, except for pink gear.

The only colors that mean much are White and Pink in terms of stats. NQ White gear is typically somewhere around 20-30 ilvls behind equivalent green/blue stuff (and HQ is pretty much equal) and Pink has random substat allocations.

Of course the above generalization only counts for combat stuff. For gathering/crafting NQ crappality is even worse, IE an Augmented mainhand for gatherer's will last you until 70 because only a NQ 68/70 tool is better :v:

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100
The only time I really do any materia melding below max level is spell speed on BLM, I need my flares to be fractions of a second faster always.

nuru
Oct 10, 2012

Reiterpallasch posted:

I find SCH substantially easier for Exdeath, since there are a couple points in the fight where AOE healing on the move is necessary, and indom's shorter cooldown turns out to be more useful than lightspeed's raw power (you can't lightspeed both black holes).

But dear god, AST is way easier on Neo.

ntan1 posted:

You may find it helpful to take a look at when both your co-healer and you are casting specific OGCDs. It could be that your WHM doesn't know the right skills to use when during the fight.

For example, as a WHM, I use 100% of my swiftcasts for abilities that are not ressing during Exdeath, at very specific points in the fight. Assize and Divine Seal are also very carefully timed, along with Plenary.

Early on we had trouble with Flare targets surviving so we started swiftcasting a medica 2 right after Decisive Battle -> Holy happened, but I think part of our problem is that our flare positioning is a bit too close. Right now we drop flares at S E W and have everyone else go to N. This puts all the flares in one half of the room and seems to bring the targeted players pretty low. We probably need to make it a bit more of an equilateral?

For Black Hole itself I think in general our problem is that we were keeping him on the edge rather than pulling him in after White Hole before the Black Hole cast so our dps were nowhere near the healers and we had trouble healing the Fire III damage. I'm going to look at logs to see if we're using Divine Veil there or not, and since I'm a garbage Noct I'm not using Lightspeed well.

Definitely a fight where blowing cooldowns is expected though.

nuru fucked around with this message at 22:23 on Aug 10, 2017

isk
Oct 3, 2007

You don't want me owing you

Imagined posted:

I have a noob question. If you're not level 70 yet (actually 41) is it worth messing around with materia and poo poo.

cheetah7071 posted:

no. Just vendor materia below grade IV and don't bother melding until you have gear you'll stick with for a while, usually not until level 70.

I'll add that the weekly challenge log for materia (meld 5 times) is worth doing for crafter XP, and that materia isn't easy to come by until HW or beast tribes (but that requires a time investment). Before SB I usually saved a few low level/value materia per week to shove into random normal quality gear.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

You mostly can't even use materia until HW anyway because how they thought about materia slots in itemization changed at some point after ARR when they decided to make it a lot more accessible to the average player.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Our little Eurostatic has finally managed to down O2S! Happy days for all.

M'USEEEEEEEEEEEEE

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

cheetah7071 posted:

no. Just vendor materia below grade IV and don't bother melding until you have gear you'll stick with for a while, usually not until level 70.

I'd sell it on the MB instead of vendoring, you can generally get a bit of pocket change. I agree about not bothering melding until you hit 70, and even then I think it's fine to sell VIs and use Vs instead unless you're doing savage, in which case you should stick VIs in your 340s.

Reiterpallasch
Nov 3, 2010

Fun Shoe

nuru posted:

Early on we had trouble with Flare targets surviving so we started swiftcasting a medica 2 right after Decisive Battle -> Holy happened, but I think part of our problem is that our flare positioning is a bit too close. Right now we drop flares at S E W and have everyone else go to N. This puts all the flares in one half of the room and seems to bring the targeted players pretty low. We probably need to make it a bit more of an equilateral?

For Black Hole itself I think in general our problem is that we were keeping him on the edge rather than pulling him in after White Hole before the Black Hole cast so our dps were nowhere near the healers and we had trouble healing the Fire III damage. I'm going to look at logs to see if we're using Divine Veil there or not, and since I'm a garbage Noct I'm not using Lightspeed well.

Definitely a fight where blowing cooldowns is expected though.

It's possible to time a heal while you're stacking on the tentacle, so you get like 90% of the way through casting it when you get knocked back, and then the cast completes when you're on the rim of the arena (there's a "pulsing" sound effect when the stack marker is up; at my current spell speed, starting the Succor cast in between the first and second pulse works almost all of the time). If both healers cheat out a cast before holy, the flare should be survivable without special cooldown usage. Also a good place for Eos' magic resist buff.

Also, yeah, do equilateral (if your DPS are particularly squishy and aren't vit melded (they should be vit melded), more of an isoceles triangle) placement.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

cheetah7071 posted:

I think this is bad advice. Meld away, put any stats in there that you like, just don't use anything V or higher before 70.

Unlike in the past, the SB green dungeon gear can be converted into materia once they hit 100% spiritbond, and melding materia accelerates the rate at which gear spiritbonds.

If you are also levelling crafters, you can use this gear to get a quick shot of XP as well.

As of 4.05, they re-introduced the bug that let you shunt that challenge log XP to a job completely different from the one used to meld the materia. (What's supposed to happen is if you meld a fifth materia that week into a BSM-repairable weapon, the XP is supposed to go to BSM. But if you do it while you're a different job.... say, WHM, and meld it, the XP will go to WHM instead of BSM. They fixed this back in HW around 3.2, and appear to have re-introduced it. I have not verified if it still works in 4.06.)

homeless snail posted:

You mostly can't even use materia until HW anyway because how they thought about materia slots in itemization changed at some point after ARR when they decided to make it a lot more accessible to the average player.

If you're talking about melders, there are materia melders in each of the cities now.

SwissArmyDruid fucked around with this message at 23:49 on Aug 10, 2017

nuru
Oct 10, 2012

Reiterpallasch posted:

It's possible to time a heal while you're stacking on the tentacle, so you get like 90% of the way through casting it when you get knocked back, and then the cast completes when you're on the rim of the arena (there's a "pulsing" sound effect when the stack marker is up; at my current spell speed, starting the Succor cast in between the first and second pulse works almost all of the time). If both healers cheat out a cast before holy, the flare should be survivable without special cooldown usage. Also a good place for Eos' magic resist buff.

Also, yeah, do equilateral (if your DPS are particularly squishy and aren't vit melded (they should be vit melded), more of an isoceles triangle) placement.

We can do that timing with the knockback, but it still goes off before the Holy hits doesn't it? For Medica it's fine either way, but with a Succor/Helios does the shield apply after the Holy or before?

I think I'm still the only person in the group with vit melds =/

nuru fucked around with this message at 23:19 on Aug 10, 2017

Obligatum VII
May 5, 2014

Haunting you until no 8 arrives.

nuru posted:

We got o3s without effort this after a week where all our wipes were 1-2% due to an absurd number of "I probably didn't get enough sleep" wipes. Exdeath so far is entertaining, but I think I'm going to back to SCH on it rather than Noct.

Also Monk pvp what's the trick to not getting screwed after you kill someone? Just pick off stragglers and never engage the blob?

Follow a DRK around and wait for them to yank someone to you.

Reiterpallasch
Nov 3, 2010

Fun Shoe

nuru posted:

We can do that timing with the knockback, but it still goes off before the Holy hits doesn't it? For Medica it's fine either way, but with a Succor/Helios does the shield apply after the Holy or before?

I think I'm still the only person in the group with vit melds =/

yeah, the shield is consumed by holy, but with my group, the WHM hits assize during the run and at full HP, unshielded, everyone can survive flares.

Reiterpallasch
Nov 3, 2010

Fun Shoe
oh, and make the DPS get vit melds. i'm loving serious. if people are falling over randomly due to damage variance during exdeath neo will loving destroy you.

Skaw
Aug 5, 2004

Reiterpallasch posted:

oh, and make the DPS get vit melds. i'm loving serious. if people are falling over randomly due to damage variance during exdeath neo will loving destroy you.

If you have a bard, you can ask that they use Troubadour as well before Exdeath vanishes while they still have a few seconds of Ballad. The 15% Max HP is entirely useful for the Holy and Flares, as being topped off before hand means that they don't necessarily need to be topped off for the flares, just above the threshold. It also means positioning doesn't have to be quite as strict for the aoe falloff.

It's just less healing stress during an already stressful fight for healers.

For VIT melds, I would say getting your DPS to aim for 38.5-39k with food and tank party bonus is a good buffer spot. As you start replacing left side allowing you to naturally get to that point, you can replace accessory melds.

Skaw fucked around with this message at 00:01 on Aug 11, 2017

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Huh, today I learned something about Chrysalis. The high damage DOT you have while in the rift isn't a function of being in the rift, it's applied before you go in, but has a short enough duration that if you run away from the rift before getting sucked in it'll fall off before it gets extended like your buffs do.

Somehow never learned that before now.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.

Ciaphas posted:

Huh, today I learned something about Chrysalis. The high damage DOT you have while in the rift isn't a function of being in the rift, it's applied before you go in, but has a short enough duration that if you run away from the rift before getting sucked in it'll fall off before it gets extended like your buffs do.

I learned that my second pull following the question of 'why doesn't the rift just suck us in immediately? Huh, running from it there's just enough time for the dot to fall off before it does just suck us in. Neat.' :v:

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

I just never thought about it being anything other than an auto-applied DoT, like gross tentacle dude's arena in Void Ark. Guess against the white floor I never saw the debuff timer. vOv

Rainuwastaken
Oct 30, 2012

Another blue ribbon for Hecarim.
I didn't even know a DoT was even applied to people until about two weeks ago, so don't worry. You're not the only one that felt really clueless.

a crisp refreshing Moxie
May 2, 2007

I never even knew there was a bleed inside there, I just thought tanks were really bad at eating meteors. :v:

Whoops!

Waldorf Sixpence
Sep 6, 2004

Often harder on Player 2
It extends the duration of all debuffs AND all buffs when you get sucked in. Mash those cooldowns and go hog wild :getin:

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
sprint is the most important tank CD to extend

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Rainuwastaken posted:

I didn't even know a DoT was even applied to people until now

Ffycchi
Jun 4, 2014

Sigh...challenge accepted...shitty photoshop incoming.
The lack of good dot classes in PvP saddens me.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Ffycchi posted:

PvP BRD is pretty much all dots, although you're not using the dots for damage as much as to proc your good skills. You still get dot kills from time to time though

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

cheetah7071 posted:

sprint is the most important tank CD to extend

Hallowed Ground is pretty fun to hit.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Ffycchi posted:

DOTs by themselves will always be bad in PVP because PVP is all about quick burst damage.

Zandar
Aug 22, 2008

Ciaphas posted:

It's not just a DoT, it's a vuln up which means you're much more likely to be taken out by untanked meteors. Always run away until it falls off.

TheRagamuffin
Aug 31, 2008

In Paradox Space, when you cross the line, your nuts are mine.
I know nothing about Chrysalis because I played it once while leveling and have never got it in roulette since.

Hommando
Mar 2, 2012

kojei posted:

"only" +1 damage is huge, and you hosed up

What's hosed up? Melds? I haven't spent my tomes yet.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Cleared O3S, with pixels left on the enrage cast bar. That was super intense. Somehow only the third most intense enrage I've ever experienced though (the other two were both in Mog extreme back in 2.2)

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Dead weight, just like this post.

Got Deliverance as WAR and i suppose you're suppose to be stance dancing a ton to get the most use huh? Trying to tank it in for extensive periods of time usually ends with aggro dropping before too long. Get gauge in Deliverance, switch to Fell Cleave, then switch back?

How the hell were you suppose to use these when you lose 50 beast gauge when you changed? That would be so damned annoying.

Skaw
Aug 5, 2004

cheetah7071 posted:

Cleared O3S, with pixels left on the enrage cast bar. That was super intense. Somehow only the third most intense enrage I've ever experienced though (the other two were both in Mog extreme back in 2.2)

Nice. For my Static, that fights actually our most painless. For some reason, we're just absolutely terrible at Catastrophe every week for the clear.

Kalenn Istarion
Nov 2, 2012

Maybe Senpai will finally notice me now that I've dropped :fivebux: on this snazzy av
10 million final fantasy xiv nerds:

http://cogconnected.com/2017/08/final-fantasy-xiv-exceeds-10-million-players-worldwide/

Wonder how many are trials? I don't think it's that many from my experience.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
In case anyone was wondering, the more intense enrages were:

--one where half the party had died to enrage but the spell hadn't reached the other half, or something
--one where the bard was rezzing as it went off, then healer LB3ed (back when they could do that) and we all came back and leisurely killed it because the enrage cast is super long

Meiteron
Apr 4, 2008

Whoa! You're gonna be a legend!

HOOLY BOOLY posted:

Got Deliverance as WAR and i suppose you're suppose to be stance dancing a ton to get the most use huh? Trying to tank it in for extensive periods of time usually ends with aggro dropping before too long. Get gauge in Deliverance, switch to Fell Cleave, then switch back?

How the hell were you suppose to use these when you lose 50 beast gauge when you changed? That would be so damned annoying.

The stance dance penalty, among other things, nearly killed WAR's popularity at max level outright. We're in a much better spot now, but the damage is still done. Be thankful you're leveling it long after that debacle is resolved.

In 4-man content you'll generally do a bunch of Overpowers and/or Steel Cyclones to secure hate, and then switch to Deliverance as a mob pack dies, or gets small enough that you won't die without a tank stance. Against single-target bosses in dungeons or raids you should be spending the majority of your time in Deliverance after an initial burst in Defiance to secure hate, time cooldowns appropriately to survive incoming damage even without tank stance buffs, and rely on tank swaps or shirk (or both) to keep you ahead of your party, with brief Defiance periods if they're warranted. Figuring out how much hate to build before you swap over is just something you'll learn to intuit as you go. That said, figuring out the absolute minimum amount of time, in any given situation, that you have to be in tank stance to keep hate secured and yourself alive is the #1 most important concept to being a good Warrior, and a good tank in general. Start practicing now!

nuru
Oct 10, 2012

Hommando posted:

What's hosed up? Melds? I haven't spent my tomes yet.

1 point of Weapon Damage is worth somewhere around 17 Mind in 4.0.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BrightWing
Apr 27, 2012

Yes, he is quite mad.

cheetah7071 posted:

Fuckin 3% bullshit if she didn't do Forrest phase queens waltz TWICE AND 3 Blizz 3's the uptime woulda got us there.

Mad.