Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

The Meji Restoration modernized Japan but let's not pretend it was only a good thing. It was a transfer of power from the old entrenched feudal military government to a more centralised modern state which has its own oligarchs many of them still noblemen.

Also the modern industrial Japanese state went on to create its own form of fascism and became one of the most brutal colonial powers in history.

The strict and oppressive feudal state on the other hand had 200+ years of peace and stability.

FreudianSlippers fucked around with this message at 12:46 on Aug 11, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shanty
Nov 7, 2005

I Love Dogs

Inescapable Duck posted:

Curb Your Enthusiasm with samurai.

Then they can remake it into a Western which ends with the cowboy eating his revolver.

I think a cowboy only self destructs by entering into a duel he knows he can't/won't win. Obviously the central fuckup produces some kid with a chip on his shoulder and the honourable old gunman has to take a bullet at high noon rather than kill the kid.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Shanty posted:

I think a cowboy only self destructs by entering into a duel he knows he can't/won't win. Obviously the central fuckup produces some kid with a chip on his shoulder and the honourable old gunman has to take a bullet at high noon rather than kill the kid.

Wait, I think this was Gran Torino.

SomeJazzyRat
Nov 2, 2012

Hmmm...

Inescapable Duck posted:

Curb Your Enthusiasm with samurai.

Then they can remake it into a Western which ends with the cowboy eating his revolver.

Now, a cowboy eating his revolver makes me think of two plots.

One, he accidentally takes a bullet to the mouth at the start of the film. He survives, but he's trying to go about his day while his mouth is haemorrhaging blood. Say there's a scene where he's talking to someone, sprays blood all over them. Eventually there's so much blood they both start slipping in it. There's even a scene where he's trying to prevent talking and keeps his mouth shut. Eventually enough prodding forces him to open his mouth, and it is a literal geyser.

Two, dude literally eats his revolver, and every time he speaks he shoots his gun. So every time he tries to explain his predicament he ends up shooting someone in the face.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
Maybe the cowboy keeps trying, unsuccessfully, to shoot people and only at the end of the movie does he realize that his gun is actually a piece of cake.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

SomeJazzyRat posted:

One, he accidentally takes a bullet to the mouth at the start of the film. He survives, but he's trying to go about his day while his mouth is haemorrhaging blood. Say there's a scene where he's talking to someone, sprays blood all over them. Eventually there's so much blood they both start slipping in it. There's even a scene where he's trying to prevent talking and keeps his mouth shut. Eventually enough prodding forces him to open his mouth, and it is a literal geyser.

Two, dude literally eats his revolver, and every time he speaks he shoots his gun. So every time he tries to explain his predicament he ends up shooting someone in the face.

Why not both?

An entire anthology film about a cowboy eating his gun interpreted in various different ways all of them goofy magical realism.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:
Samurai Gourmet but set in NYC with Larry David in the lead role.

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

fatherboxx posted:

Uhhh, folks, any bad movies coming out soon?

The new ones out today all seem skippable :/

Firstborn
Oct 14, 2012

i'm the heckin best
yeah
yeah
yeah
frig all the rest
An episode of Curb where Lar Bald Davi has to break it to his commanding officer that he accidently picked up his lightsaber instead of his own, culminating in a raid on the death star to replace it without him noticing.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

FreudianSlippers posted:

The Meji Restoration modernized Japan but let's not pretend it was only a good thing. It was a transfer of power from the old entrenched feudal military government to a more centralised modern state which has its own oligarchs many of them still noblemen.

Also the modern industrial Japanese state went on to create its own form of fascism and became one of the most brutal colonial powers in history.

The strict and oppressive feudal state on the other hand had 200+ years of peace and stability.

This is the more educated and informed version of the post I was trying to write.

SomeJazzyRat posted:

This post is beautiful.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

Firstborn posted:

An episode of Curb where Lar Bald Davi has to break it to his commanding officer that he accidently picked up his lightsaber instead of his own, culminating in a raid on the death star to replace it without him noticing.

In the last scene, the Emperor calls him into his office and gives him that very lightsaber as a gift. But the person bringing that lightsaber into the office to give to Lar turns out to be a moff that Lar said "gently caress you!!!" to while brandishing the Emperor's lightsaber over a minor parking issue to earlier in the movie.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Come to think of it, that's almost basically the story of the villain of Rogue One. He even has Vader force choke him and make a dad joke about it, and otherwise gets owned over and over by his own superiors.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

It's a shame Ben Mandelson couldn't bring anything more interesting to Krennic than bored contempt because him being poo poo on by the Empire was a great character trait if he had found any way to have it influence his performance.

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

PriorMarcus posted:

It's a shame Ben Mandelson couldn't bring anything more interesting to Krennic than bored contempt because him being poo poo on by the Empire was a great character trait if he had found any way to have it influence his performance.

It's okay, I'm sure he'll find his breakout performance in Star Citizen

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

"the empire is good" he says without noticing all the members of the empire are white humans (and only humans) in SS uniforms.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice

Groovelord Neato posted:

"the empire is good" he says without noticing all the members of the empire are white humans (and only humans) in SS uniforms.

I'm pretty sure they noticed just fine

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Groovelord Neato posted:

Remember the freakout when Finn was first revealed in The Force Awakens? That was because it blew their expectations of stormtroopers being nothing but white guys.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

Why white Stormtroopers, though? Where was the outrage over him not being Maori?

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Young Freud posted:

Remember the freakout when Finn was first revealed in The Force Awakens? That was because it blew their expectations of stormtroopers being nothing but white guys.

the first order appears to be jonesing for recruits (they have women and people of color in other roles as well).

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
But I thought all stormtroopers are clones of Boba Fett's dad.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

guys. don't.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Skwirl posted:

Well, in the prequels there's Human slavery, which the Empire seems to have completely wiped out in a single generation (replacing it with Droid slavery admittedly, but it's still a step in the right direction).

The clone troopers were also slaves.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Groovelord Neato posted:

the first order appears to be jonesing for recruits (they have women and people of color in other roles as well).

Yeah, I think they even say in the film that Finn was essentially a child soldier stolen from his parents, which makes the First Order more the Lord's Resistance Army than the Nazi analogs in the original trilogy.

Pope Corky the IX posted:

But I thought all stormtroopers are clones of Boba Fett's dad.

It's commonly believed before and I think even spelled out later in stuff like Rebels that the clonetroopers were decommissioned following the creation of the Empire. The clones where expensive to produce (as well as involve aliens in their creation), had limited lifespans due to rapid aging, and limited numbers. With the Emperor's new authority, he started mass conscription, which gave him more manpower than the clones could offer.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

At least one Clone Trooper made it all the way to Return of The Jedi (it's a fan theory, for now).

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Skwirl posted:

Jabba the Hutt is a criminal overlord

A criminal overlord that cooperates with the Empire.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Young Freud posted:

It's commonly believed before and I think even spelled out later in stuff like Rebels that the clonetroopers were decommissioned following the creation of the Empire. The clones where expensive to produce (as well as involve aliens in their creation), had limited lifespans due to rapid aging, and limited numbers. With the Emperor's new authority, he started mass conscription, which gave him more manpower than the clones could offer.

I think the Battlefront explanation is plausible: armies that are clones of one man coming from one planet are very susceptible to corruption and that planet going awry. Conscription and cloning from other templates were introduced after a rebellion on Kamino as a safeguard, with only a select few elite units remaining pure original clones.

bitterandtwisted
Sep 4, 2006

One clone trooper got sneezed on by an Ewok and they all went the way of the Gros Michel banana.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Cythereal posted:

I think the Battlefront explanation is plausible: armies that are clones of one man coming from one planet are very susceptible to corruption and that planet going awry. Conscription and cloning from other templates were introduced after a rebellion on Kamino as a safeguard, with only a select few elite units remaining pure original clones.

Plus, the clone army was specifically made as an army-in-a-can to jumpstart the Clone Wars, giving the Republic sudden access to a standing, ready military rather than having to go through the expense and effort of raising a new one. After the Clone Wars are over, Palpatine has mostly undisputed dominion over the Republic and there's no real urgent threats left, there's no reason to keep paying the Kaminoans for clones (since they were raised with Count Dooku's personal fortune anyway) when they can recruit from the Republic's population

Given that they'd just wiped out the Jedi that served as the officer corps of the Republic, they'd have reasons to be starting a recruitment drive right after the end of the Clone Wars, and 20 years later in ANH is about when they'd be fully restocked.

Simplex
Jun 29, 2003

Groovelord Neato posted:

And the rebellion in the original Star Wars includes a diverse cast of non-white characters including...

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

Simplex posted:

And the rebellion in the original Star Wars includes a diverse cast of non-white characters including...

Chewie

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

The clone troopers were also slaves.

A man chooses, a slave obeys

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Simplex posted:

-A big man-bear thing
-A gay robot
-The only black man in the Galaxy

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

He's gonna say Chewie and the droids don't count, either because they're played by white actors or because, if we're looking only at A New Hope (which I'm beginning to think is what he means when he says Star Wars), neither Chewie nor the droids are technically members of the Rebellion, but a mercenary and servants, respectively.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Phylodox posted:

He's gonna say Chewie and the droids don't count, either because they're played by white actors or because, if we're looking only at A New Hope (which I'm beginning to think is what he means when he says Star Wars), neither Chewie nor the droids are technically members of the Rebellion, but a mercenary and servants, respectively.

Little people count, surely.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Alhazred posted:

A criminal overlord that cooperates with the Empire.

Can you refresh my memory on this one?

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

The MSJ posted:

Little people count, surely.

He just said "non-white". Obviously he is unmoved by the plight of the smaller folk.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
But wasn't "All Stormtroopers = Boba Fett's Dad" a major plot point in Episode II? And in order to find out why they're no longer clones in later films, I have to watch cartoons and play video games?

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Pope Corky the IX posted:

But wasn't "All Stormtroopers = Boba Fett's Dad" a major plot point in Episode II? And in order to find out why they're no longer clones in later films, I have to watch cartoons and play video games?

yeah, because the reason they're not clones anymore isn't actually important and is just a neat little background detail. you're otherwise just supposed to infer that they're not clones anymore from the fact that they're called stormtroopers instead of clone troopers, and roll with it.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

I just assumed they aged at the same rate as humans and so retired/died in combat/deserted/whatever by the time the OT comes up so there'd only be a few left in the actual imperial army.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Simplex posted:

the admiral of the rebel fleet is a mon calamari. lando's copilot is a sullustan. the empire is human supremacist.

the prequels aren't canon so ignore that the stormtroopers were ever jango fett clones.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Neo Rasa posted:

Can you refresh my memory on this one?

He and Fett are in on the Han poo poo in Empire and Jedi.

• Locked thread