Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

chutche2
Jul 3, 2010

CUPOLA MY BALLS

MasterSlowPoke posted:

These guys have a pretty awful podcast, but this tactics article on how assault moves have changed is really quite good.

http://ftgtgaming.blogspot.com/2017/07/8th-ed-tactica-combat-moves.html

See, that scenario with the hormagaunts is the exact kind of thing people were laughing at me for having trouble with. They're amazing at pulling off tactics like that, surrounding a model or two so you can't fall back and surrounding vehicles with 6 inch pile ins and consolidation. They don't need to do damage themselves, they can shut down one of your flanks and stop you from shooting for a turn.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dexefiend
Apr 25, 2003

THE GOGGLES DO NOTHING!
Do flying tanks ignore that gimmick?

Master Twig
Oct 25, 2007

I want to branch out and I'm going to stick with it.

dexefiend posted:

Yes. Fly units can just hop out and not give a gently caress.

chutche2
Jul 3, 2010

CUPOLA MY BALLS

dexefiend posted:

Yup. It's why I've been loving my stormraven and one thing that'll make the repulsor great when I get one. They can fall back over enemy models and still shoot.

Zuul the Cat
Dec 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Yeast posted:

I’ve run a Culexus in a tournament list. Came 4th out of 50.

That assasin is incredible. The ultimate tar pitter. I play guard, have no combat units, and use him to reveal, and charge their warlord if they’re dumb enough to let me. He’s next to impossible to kill in combat.

The anti-psychic abilities is just a lovely addition.

drat, that sounds really strong. I'll pick him up next just to try him out.

The Sisko posted:

Sounds like a good idea, the only caveat would be how is the assassin riding in the rhino? I don't have the book in front of me but most transports are very specific in what they can carry in 8th.

Ah, okay. I thought it was like a SM Rhino where you can carry just up to the specific amount of guys.

Yeast posted:

Why would you bother putting the assasin in a rhino? He can setup 9”away from any enemy unit at the end of any of your movement phases.

I actually don't know what they can do, someone just said they're really good so I thought I'd give him a shot. I'll check out the rules tonight.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

TheChirurgeon posted:

Makin progress on my Telemachon conversion, figured I'd post an armed update:

Decided I'm not going to try to make the shoulder cloak and Slaanesh icon in the standard art because I'm poo poo with greenstuff and also because it seems like one of those details that's not super-possible in reality given the backpack overlapping the cape in the rear. Pretty happy with how the work turned out, though cutting up the DV chosen is a huge pain in the rear end.

Already working on Lheorvine, and then it'll be Khayon.

This is very cool - you might have some luck with cloaks from places like spellcrow, they have some that have fit around space marine packs.

chutche2
Jul 3, 2010

CUPOLA MY BALLS
I worry assassins will be way less valuable once more armies get books that limit you to detachments that are all the same chapter or regiment or whatever. Unless they make a rule that lets assassins and inquisitors and stuff ignore that you'll be spending a cp and a detachment slot to bring them in as an auxiliary support detachment or whatever it's called. It hurts custodes and sisters of silence too.

Crazy Ferret
May 11, 2007

Welp

chutche2 posted:

I worry assassins will be way less valuable once more armies get books that limit you to detachments that are all the same chapter or regiment or whatever. Unless they make a rule that lets assassins and inquisitors and stuff ignore that you'll be spending a cp and a detachment slot to bring them in as an auxiliary support detachment or whatever it's called. It hurts custodes and sisters of silence too.

I imagine they will have to. I have a ton of inquisition stuff from over the ages and its all pretty much waiting to get sorted out in an actual Codex. All the retinue guys are now their own units who can't mix and match. Hell just building the army in something like Battlescribe is a nightmare due all the different detachments, not too mention flipping though the index to find the rules. Its all kind of a mess now.

So far, I've been happy with the codices I've seen, but sorting out the Inquisition and all the others will be a challenge.

Pendent
Nov 16, 2011

The bonds of blood transcend all others.
But no blood runs stronger than that of Sanguinius
Grimey Drawer
I don't know- trading being able to pick and chose the best units from the entire Imperium range for army specific bonuses or CP seems to be pretty fair to me.

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte
Play guard, always be fielding a Brigade.

12 down to 11 to field an assassin? Sure.

Cainer
May 8, 2008

Zuul the Cat posted:

So i'm thinking of picking up a null-maiden rhino, a sisters of silence squad and a Culexus assassin to run with my AdMech to shut down Psykers, which have been the bane of my existence for a while.

Has anyone used them? I'm thinking of kitting out 9 of them as Vigilators and sticking those 9 and the assassin in the Rhino.

I really hope Admec get's something pysky or anti-psyker in the codex, or at least a way to ally them in without losing canticles.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Zuul the Cat posted:

So i'm thinking of picking up a null-maiden rhino, a sisters of silence squad and a Culexus assassin to run with my AdMech to shut down Psykers, which have been the bane of my existence for a while.

Has anyone used them? I'm thinking of kitting out 9 of them as Vigilators and sticking those 9 and the assassin in the Rhino.

I don't think the assassin can ride in the Rhino. That said I definitely plan on bringing a unit for my Regal Skulls.

Most tournaments refuse to allow Forgeworld, right? I plan on getting some tarantulas for anti-tank.

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

I don't think the assassin can ride in the Rhino. That said I definitely plan on bringing a unit for my Regal Skulls.

Most tournaments refuse to allow Forgeworld, right? I plan on getting some tarantulas for anti-tank.

People generally are fine with FW stuff, just not like, the really big Titans and such. The last ITC tournament banned anything PL31 or higher, I think.

Pendent
Nov 16, 2011

The bonds of blood transcend all others.
But no blood runs stronger than that of Sanguinius
Grimey Drawer
With the current Indices a lot Forgeworld stuff seems really out of whack with the rest of the game from a balance perspective. Have the big tournaments like BAO been allowing them?

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Pendent posted:

With the current Indices a lot Forgeworld stuff seems really out of whack with the rest of the game from a balance perspective. Have the big tournaments like BAO been allowing them?

Yeah the FW Warboss Biker is flat out better and cheaper than the index one.

PierreTheMime
Dec 9, 2004

Hero of hormagaunts everywhere!
Buglord
So now that I've settled in here it's time for me to finally play a game or two and get the rules down.

How does this look for a first try 8th 1000pt list?

HQ:
Tervigon 250pts
Malanthrope 90pts

Troops:
14x Genestealer 168pts
24x Termagant 96pts
24x Termagant 96pts
3x Tyranid Warrior 81pts
++Adrenal Glands
++Boneswords
++Fleshhooks
++Scything Talons

Heavy Support:
Trygon Prime 219pts
++Adrenal Glands

Edit: 'Stealers arrive with the Prime, but I'm sure you all knew that already.

I'm not sure what other armies can field at that level but I figure it gives me a strong mix of assault pressure, tarpit deterrents, and objective scoring. If I'm wrong and bad please tell me. After playing Nids for over a decade 8th feels like a hard reset in my understanding of this game. :ohdear:

PierreTheMime fucked around with this message at 01:30 on Aug 12, 2017

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte

JoshTheStampede posted:

People generally are fine with FW stuff, just not like, the really big Titans and such. The last ITC tournament banned anything PL31 or higher, I think.

Yep, the last ITC tournament I played in allowed Forge World units by approval - submit your list and wait to hear back.

The only things that were straight up banned were anything with the Titan Keyword.

I ran a leman russ laser destroyer (which is poo poo) just for fluff.

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte

Pendent posted:

A lot of Index stuff is out of whack too. GW has changed the rules what 4 times in 2 months?

I wouldn't use Forgeworld as a good yard stick right now.

I mean poo poo, the Nova Open is using rules from a book that won't be released until the end of December. It's pretty insane right now.

chutche2
Jul 3, 2010

CUPOLA MY BALLS

Yeast posted:

Play guard, always be fielding a Brigade.

12 down to 11 to field an assassin? Sure.

That's true, guard has no problems, but I'm running 4 to 7 with marines and with how important stratagems are every one counts.

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Our courage will pull us through
You could take a cheap inquisitor and a couple acolytes, and use them as Razorback filler for a Vanguard detachment.

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro
Or a cheap inquisitor/Greyfax and three assassins.

chutche2
Jul 3, 2010

CUPOLA MY BALLS
Yeah, that's a good point. I don't think I'd ever use 3 assassins but it's not too hard to fit in greyfax, an assassin, and one acolyte as a patrol detachment for now. Just awfully clunky.

Anyway, I picked up one of these guys to go with my terminator squad because I love old metal models. What's that supposed to be in his left hand?

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro

chutche2 posted:

Yeah, that's a good point. I don't think I'd ever use 3 assassins but it's not too hard to fit in greyfax, an assassin, and one acolyte as a patrol detachment for now. Just awfully clunky.

Greyfax, and assassin, and 2 acolytes is a Vanguard and nets you a command point. Assuming Acolytes are elites.

raverrn
Apr 5, 2005

Unidentified spacecraft inbound from delta line.

All Silpheed squadrons scramble now!

chutche2 posted:

Anyway, I picked up one of these guys to go with my terminator squad because I love old metal models. What's that supposed to be in his left hand?

That's the targeter for his Cyclone. Old guys had to drop the Powerfist to take one.

chutche2
Jul 3, 2010

CUPOLA MY BALLS

JoshTheStampede posted:

Greyfax, and assassin, and 2 acolytes is a Vanguard and nets you a command point. Assuming Acolytes are elites.

Yeah sorry I thought they were troops.

raverrn posted:

That's the targeter for his Cyclone. Old guys had to drop the Powerfist to take one.

Huh, that's neat.

So is this a rogue trader era one or something later? The cylcone looks weird to me, used to seeing it as two square launchers.

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005

chutche2 posted:

Yeah sorry I thought they were troops.

Huh, that's neat.

So is this a rogue trader era one or something later? The cylcone looks weird to me, used to seeing it as two square launchers.

It's a rogue trader / early 2nd edition one. I think the targetter was dropped in 3rd.

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Remember how good you are
Taco Defender
Rogue Trader. The 2nd edition ones are much cleaner, have cleaner shoulder pads.

I don't remember when they let you do power fist + cyclone, but the targeter hand didn't disappear until the plastic terminators came out.

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005
The metal squad after that weren't available at 2nd ed launch tho, I remember getting them for my BA army.

Always preferred the older style of heavy flamer :smith:

chutche2
Jul 3, 2010

CUPOLA MY BALLS
Yeah I popped the base off and the date is 198 something. Last digit is obscured, maybe 89.

Post 9-11 User
Apr 14, 2010

Killer_Bees! posted:

While I wait for the Deathguard codex and models to drop I pulled the trigger on a Raven Guard successor chapter force full of sneaky gits. These are heavily still work in progress but you get the gist, also I was brave/stupid enough to hack up Cypher to combine him with a bigly in an attempt to make a sneaky captain :jihad:

How did you do the armor? Because it looks

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Remember how good you are
Taco Defender

chutche2 posted:

Yeah I popped the base off and the date is 198 something. Last digit is obscured, maybe 89.

Yeah looks like '89
http://www.solegends.com/citcat1989mo/c1989mop0006-02.htm

related note, great site if you've never seen it: http://www.solegends.com/citadel/catindex.htm

TTerrible posted:

The metal squad after that weren't available at 2nd ed launch tho, I remember getting them for my BA army.

Always preferred the older style of heavy flamer :smith:

Yeah those came out a little bit later and stuck around until the mid-2000s

e: maybe '95? http://www.solegends.com/citcat1995-6/cat19956p034-01.htm
Looks like they released Wolf Guard and Deathwing first, then updated the standard marine terminators

TheChirurgeon fucked around with this message at 03:57 on Aug 12, 2017

dexefiend
Apr 25, 2003

THE GOGGLES DO NOTHING!
Those Terminators remind me of the glory days of 3+ on 2D6! Great times!

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

TheChirurgeon posted:

Rogue Trader. The 2nd edition ones are much cleaner, have cleaner shoulder pads.

I don't remember when they let you do power fist + cyclone, but the targeter hand didn't disappear until the plastic terminators came out.
It would've been in 4th edition when the more modern plastic terminators came out. They're old as hell now, but at the time they were a complete revamp and went from 25mm to 40mm bases. They're in need of another update.

That they probably won't get. :smith:

dexefiend
Apr 25, 2003

THE GOGGLES DO NOTHING!
Just give us Primaris Terminators! Gravis Armor is kind of a poor substitute.

Imagine how awesome Terminators would look if their femurs weren't 8 inches too short!

chutche2
Jul 3, 2010

CUPOLA MY BALLS

TheChirurgeon posted:

Yeah looks like '89
http://www.solegends.com/citcat1989mo/c1989mop0006-02.htm

related note, great site if you've never seen it: http://www.solegends.com/citadel/catindex.htm

Yeah those came out a little bit later and stuck around until the mid-2000s

e: maybe '95? http://www.solegends.com/citcat1995-6/cat19956p034-01.htm
Looks like they released Wolf Guard and Deathwing first, then updated the standard marine terminators

The 1991 catalog land speeder is the raddest thing I've ever seen and I need one.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
What do you guys think of Tarantulas? Is 60 points for a twin lascannon turret that hits the closest vehicle in a 4+ a waste? Or maybe the twin assault cannon version?

chutche2
Jul 3, 2010

CUPOLA MY BALLS

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

What do you guys think of Tarantulas? Is 60 points for a twin lascannon turret that hits the closest vehicle in a 4+ a waste? Or maybe the twin assault cannon version?

I really like them. They're cheap and tough. Hitting on 4+ isn't that bad since a lot of armies do that too. And they're a good way to try and make an SM brigade since they're FA slots. They've got enough toughness, wounds, and armor that small arms aren't a big threat to them, you've got to invest something heavy to take them down in a reasonable time.

chutche2 fucked around with this message at 05:31 on Aug 12, 2017

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

chutche2 posted:

I really like them. They're cheap and tough. Hitting on 4+ isn't that bad since a lot of armies do that too. And they're a good way to try and make an SM brigade since they're FA slots. They've got enough toughness, wounds, and armor that small arms aren't a big threat to them, you've got to invest something heavy to take them down in a reasonable time.

Which weapon do you prefer? I will likely wait until FW provides the updated model and then toss on some dual assault cannon turrets.

chutche2
Jul 3, 2010

CUPOLA MY BALLS

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Which weapon do you prefer? I will likely wait until FW provides the updated model and then toss on some dual assault cannon turrets.

Really depends on my list. Both the LC and assault cannon are great. I use Kromlech turrets. Often though if I look at my list and feel like there's not enough AT it's a lot easier to find room for a 60 point tarantula than a 115 point razorback or 160 point predator. If I've got enough AT then I might toss in the assault cannon turret if I have points to spare. I never end up building a list with them in mind (though I will if I play a 2500 game so I can field a brigade), but they're a useful addon. I haven't used it yet but the HB one for 27 is so stupidly cheap that it's easy to toss one in with spare change when building a list.

Honestly I don't use them more because they're a little cheesy. Asscan razorbacks are really strong at 100 points, a tarantula with twin asscan is 45. It feels dirty loading down on those.

chutche2 fucked around with this message at 06:04 on Aug 12, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

richyp
Dec 2, 2004

Grumpy old man
I remember getting some plastic Terminator Librarians in 1990 from the Genestealer Expansion to Space Hulk (my dumb teenage self though it was a standalone game). They were pretty goofy looking, but the bonus was it contained the first genestealer hybrid models and they were amazing. I think I did the same thing with the Advanced Space Crusade box which had the original Tyranid Warriors in it.

Can't recall when, but I also remember having some plastic Terminators (a 2nd Edition troop box maybe?) that were swivel hips, that you could turn their upper bodies around 360 degrees, and their arms were on pegs and pose-able vertically. They would've been out some years later as I remember buying them when I lived in Germany.

EDIT: Now I really feel old.

richyp fucked around with this message at 06:30 on Aug 12, 2017