Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

yeah, yoship wants to give the shittiest dps more opportunities to improve their gear

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST

Haquer posted:

IS THIS MOTHER FUCKER TRYING TO CALL ME OUT OR SOMETHING

Git fuckin gud, mate. Even the NPCs see your poo poo.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Why haven't I used the magic of /gpose effects more often.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Do you still get exp towards spiritbond when you are max level?

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Jimbot posted:

Do you still get exp towards spiritbond when you are max level?
Yeah absolutely, your level actually doesn't matter at all as far as spiritbonding is concerned. The efficiency of spiritbonding is based on the ilvl of the item vs the power of the monsters you're fighting/or whatever. To spiritbond quickly you want to be fighting/crafting/harvesting things that are just a little bit harder than your gear.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

homeless snail posted:

Yeah absolutely, your level actually doesn't matter at all as far as spiritbonding is concerned. The efficiency of spiritbonding is based on the ilvl of the item vs the power of the monsters you're fighting/or whatever. To spiritbond quickly you want to be fighting/crafting/harvesting things that are just a little bit harder than your gear.

Awesome, thanks. Spiritbond stuff was the one aspect of the game I never fully understood.

Skaw
Aug 5, 2004
Melded items also bond in less time, so throw cheap junk materia on them to make it significantly quicker.

VVVV yeah, don't deliberately grind out DoW/M equipment, but if you're doing your expert roulette, you might as well use those Arhats accessories you're amassing through those dungeons anyway and score some more incidenral materia 6s over a few days.

Skaw fucked around with this message at 18:47 on Aug 13, 2017

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

Short answer: Yes, spiritbonding works at any level.

Longer answer: For spiritbonding via combat, it cares about ilvl of gear compared to what exactly you're fighting. There are fancy and generally not widely understood formulas governing it, but for everything there's a "sweet spot" of sorts for what gives you the best results for that ilvl of gear, and going too far over or under that in enemy level/difficulty will have the spiritbond rate nosedive.

For spiritbonding via crafting and gathering, it cares about the difficulty (level/stars) of the recipe or the thing you're gathering.

Better question: Why spiritbond in the first place? Tier 4-5 materia (and tier 1-3 crafting/gathering materia) are fairly trivial to obtain without spiritbonding. Tier 6 combat materia is not that hard to just buy from vendors, since you can do hunts for both clusters and seals if for some reason you need a lot really fast, but otherwise it tends to flow in as fast as you need it.

That really leaves tier 6 crafting/gathering materia for spiritbonding, and the things that can turn into that in the first place are locked to crafter/gatherer for equipment, so you can't kill poo poo to spiritbond anyway. If that is what you're going for and you're going to be spiritbonding by crafting/gathering, then see above - depends on the difficulty but yes it absolutely works just fine if you don't get experience.

For anything tier 1-5, or for any combat materia, I honestly wouldn't recommend bothering with the spiritbond mechanic at all except as an incidental effect, but not as a reason to deliberately grind out the spiritbond on gear, or wear subpar gear to a dungeon to spiritbond it, or anything like that. There are considerably less annoying options for getting materia.

Gearhead
Feb 13, 2007
The Metroid of Humor
Materia as a system may need to get reexamined. Putting materia on blue quality gear is just going to result in people mathing out the best formulas for any given class. There's no point in melding levelling gear. The only classes that really make use of materia in any fashion are crafters, who use materia to push their stats high enough to get some of the more crazy combines within sane reach.

It made a touch more sense in ARR, when crafted gear was needed to push bleeding edge content, but Exdeath Savage is a giant middle finger to maxed out VIT melded gear because of White Hole and his many 'kill outright' mechanics.

Maybe for the sake of fine tuning general gear across a 'category' such as fine tuning a Caster set to fit the various flavors of caster class it's fine, but Spiritbonding at this point is basically worthless.

(Considering how damage formulas seem to be working out, I'm not gonna be too shocked if there isn't that much difference across the board on what is 'optimal' for a given class' Materia weights inside of the Casting/Maiming/Aiming groupings.)

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

I'm pretty okay with materia going from a system that the vast majority of players didn't/couldn't interact with to it just making GBS threads materia all over you and letting you go crazy

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

homeless snail posted:

I'm pretty okay with materia going from a system that the vast majority of players didn't/couldn't interact with to it just making GBS threads materia all over you and letting you go crazy

Yeah I like the way the system is right now.

Gearhead
Feb 13, 2007
The Metroid of Humor

homeless snail posted:

I agree as well. I just wonder what the logic of materia slots on leveling gear is, unless this is a part of the core template and budget of how items are designed, in which case I suppose I can follow along.

Dr Snofeld
Apr 30, 2009
When levelling a DPS class from 50-60, is it worth going out of your way to get HQ versions of the levelling gear - crafting and so on - or can I just buy vendor NQ gear and still manage alright?

Givin
Jan 24, 2008
Givin of the Internet Hates You
You can easily do 50-60 with Ironworks gear bought with Poetics. You do not ever have to spend a single gil on any gear.

If you want to spend gil tho, NQ is fine. Check vendor prices before you buy from the board tho. People like to buy it from vendors and price gouge on the marketboards.

(I'm one of these people)

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Dr Snofeld posted:

When levelling a DPS class from 50-60, is it worth going out of your way to get HQ versions of the levelling gear - crafting and so on - or can I just buy vendor NQ gear and still manage alright?

Is it your first class: Don't stress, the game throws equipment at you
Is it your second+ class: Don't stress, you'll outlevel it too quickly for it to be worth it. Ironworks Gear if you've got the poetics to blow and otherwise eh

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
Buy leveling gear because what the gently caress else are you going to spend money on in this game if you aren't raiding or crafting

nuru
Oct 10, 2012

Countblanc posted:

Buy leveling gear because what the gently caress else are you going to spend money on in this game if you aren't raiding or crafting

Glamours. Mounts. Housing. Minions.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Elentor posted:

The limit of the function is every player except one being deleted. Depending on the period of time in which the median is calculated, it can also be every player being deleted.

You can easily have every single person over 50% of median. If the median is at 3000, say, and the tail end of the bell curve only goes down to 2000, then everybody is above 50% of median.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Countblanc posted:

Glams and housing for one.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

"Players are always going to figure out the best thing to do so we might as well not give them any options" is the dumbest excuse for lazy game design.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Fister Roboto posted:

"Players are always going to figure out the best thing to do so we might as well not give them any options" is the dumbest excuse for lazy game design.

Also this thread: "Let's have PVP auto combos in PVE too"

Throne of Bhalz
Dec 11, 2003

What the gently caress is going on with Molybdenum Ore right now? It's down to 90 gil on my server.

ruta
Apr 21, 2010

Look at this snail.
I'm happy they give me materia options as a healer. If all that stat budget was left up to SE, I'd just end up with more piety.

Givin
Jan 24, 2008
Givin of the Internet Hates You

Josuke Higashikata posted:

I'm all for this in the case of MCH combos.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Throne of Bhalz posted:

What the gently caress is going on with Molybdenum Ore right now? It's down to 90 gil on my server.

It's the highest level mining thing with no time window, so people who use mining to spiritbond grind will probably be toting thousands of them back to their retainers.

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

Givin posted:

I'm all for this in the case of MCH combos.

With old five-bullet MCH I actually liked doing 121323 just because it was different from 123123.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Pressing three buttons in the correct order isn't an option unless you're an idiot.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Fister Roboto this is for you

gently caress Ice, Kill Bitches

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Does anyone have that gif of one of the fights from My Hero Academia but with DRK skill icons shopped in and the subtitles making it about a dungeon last stand? Tia.

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

You missed the point when I said it and now you missed it when Fister said it too. You must really think pressing three buttons in order is an exciting, challenging decision tree.

If that's the case, more power for you buddy. More power for you.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
Each of the combos is completely linear and there's no decisions made with them. I still like them split for the subjective reasons that pressing 123 is more interesting than pressing 111, and it helps me with positionals.

That said, I'd rather see combos get merged at some point in the future when new skills are added, rather than losing other, actually interesting skills.

Obligatum VII
May 5, 2014

Haunting you until no 8 arrives.
I am extremely in favor of compacting linear combos on the basis that I am one of those sad un-coordinated folks whose manual dexterity absolutely leads to fumbling a combo from time to time simply because my finger slipped slightly. It would also free up more hotkeys so I didn't have to rely on shift hotkeys at much, which result in even more chances for me to fat-finger keys.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Compact combos into single button presses, add in extra offgcds for the people who pretend moving your finger 1 key over makes exciting gameplay.

Klewer
Dec 26, 2012

Ibblebibble posted:

Does anyone have that gif of one of the fights from My Hero Academia but with DRK skill icons shopped in and the subtitles making it about a dungeon last stand? Tia.

http://thelairofthesideburns.tumblr.com/post/163209500754/darkknightmp4

Krabboss
Nov 11, 2016

MY HUSBAND'S PARSE IS BETTER THAN YOURS
Regular combos can maybe be consolidated but I like how the MCH combo system works tbh

Velthice
Dec 12, 2010

Lipstick Apathy
if they condensed combos I would just copy the combo button to take up the normal 123 position of my bars anyway because that's how I prefer it. you can have it both ways

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING
they should condense everything down to one button. Just press for optimal dps 😉

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

they should condense everything down to one button. Just press for optimal dps 😉

And then rage at parses where people apparently don't even do that.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

This is just wonderful.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
You can still have a single button rotation more challenging than a sequence of 9 buttons pressed in a pre-determined order, and you can even have that integrated into an existing class (Bard) and fit it thematically with Final Fantasy. Just make it a rhythmic mini-game like Theatrhythm. You can tune it to be as challenging/easy as you want and it'll still be technically a one button rotation. Either way plenty of mobile games are one button games and can be harder both mechanically as well as having a more difficult decision tree than a bunch of 20-button MMO rotations.

You can also have a two button rotation that is considerably harder than anything in-game right now. Take the Arithmetician from FFT and make it a class that has to answer hard math questions and gets bonuses based on how many successful answers in a row you get. Suddenly a 3s gcd can feel awfully short and just randomly smashing buttons is gonna yield a very sub-par DPS, even though it's just two buttons. While this is a silly idea you can extrapolate the game theory behind this idea into any other form of mechanic, like proc management.

With three buttons you can have a shitload of Poker-derived mechanics that are based on the EV of the next action. The possibilities here are pretty much endless, but a lot of it is already used to establish complexity behind snapshot mechanics in games. With four commands you have Fold, Check, Call, Raise.

As an extension of the one-button rotation idea you can have Blizzard April's Fool of a bard class that played Guitar Hero with 3-5 buttons, which honestly I'd play the poo poo out of it.

Point being that you don't need a dozen buttons to make interesting gameplay, challenging gameplay, or meaningful decision trees. You can do it with a dozen or two dozen buttons to spice things up, sure, but that's definitely not the case with combos. Like Fister said, they're not really options.

Elentor fucked around with this message at 00:20 on Aug 14, 2017