Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer

Ouhei posted:

Sorry, wording got mixed up there, I meant cut her a check for $500 less than her portion of the home sale. Assuming he's doing the legwork on the sale it seems like that's something he could arrange.

The problem with that play is that the money from the sale will go into escrow, and the escrow agent will have a list of payees (50% to her, 50% to him) and since he's likely already signed the escrow papers (through his listing agreement) then the agent is going to pay her without asking him what he thinks about the matter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Just leave no will. Probate is hell enough for anyone.

Ps $500,000 "fairly rich" lo

Ouhei
Oct 23, 2008

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

blarzgh posted:

The problem with that play is that the money from the sale will go into escrow, and the escrow agent will have a list of payees (50% to her, 50% to him) and since he's likely already signed the escrow papers (through his listing agreement) then the agent is going to pay her without asking him what he thinks about the matter.

Ah, yeah that makes sense. Never sold a house before (though we're selling ours here soon) so I wasn't sure how that worked.

Edit: Couldn't will guy just leave amazingly annoying conditions around receiving the inheritance? Like it all sits in a fund controlled by AMC theaters and you can only use it to buy movie tickets. Or are those not real things people can do?

Ouhei fucked around with this message at 20:09 on Aug 15, 2017

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
There are more limitations on wills than movies think mostly because a lot of people are rear end holes

Captain Yossarian
Feb 24, 2011

All new" Rings of Fire"

Pick posted:

I work on probate bonds for a good chunk of my day and Jesus wept people if you plan on dying please get a will because probate poo poo is a nightmare

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS
If you hate your kids so much, tell them they have to go to a certain place at the same time to get their inheritance, where in truth you've spent it all on constructing an elaborate saw-like murder house that they're now trapped in. What are they gonna do, charge your corpse with murder???

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

One Weird Trick To Get Away With Murder!

Police HATE Him!

sandoz
Jan 29, 2009

Blue Train posted:

Oh so bougie scum, gotcha

libertarians actually

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender
Me (31 f married), my parents r acting weird after me getting pregnant

quote:

I have been in a relationship for more than 7 years and married for more than 3 years. As I was a single child my parents were always a bit overprotective about me. But after I got pregnant recently they started acting very weird. First of they told this is the only child I need (that is if I am adamant in having a child), and I explained politely its not their business. But they are acting weird day by day.

I am having several health issues and struggling throughout pregnancy, but they are not at all supportive, simplifying my issues and they do not even ask about the health of the baby when we talk. Its like they are trying to avoid the baby from the talk.

When I talk about the baby they reply weirdly and act as if they are a jealous couple, implying that their baby was superior or something. I tell them I am that baby they are talking about, and how can my baby be any inferior to theirs.

It is very difficult to explain their behavior, every time they shuts me down, and I get depressed after talking to them every time. Even if I am happy they will find some way to kill that happiness. They have repeatedly told me many times that my baby will not be any good and I better expect the worse. I dont know what that means and how to react to it.

My husband is very loving and supporting, he had started considering my parents as bullies nowadays. If he tries to tell them to behave a little better and show me a little care they yell at him and gets very angry. As I am the only child I feel obligated to check upon them and care about them. But I cannot take this torture they are giving me anymore. What do I do?

TL;DR - Parents acting weird upon me (married woman) getting pregnant

quote:

Its not about that. They are telling that the baby will have a horrible character. They always say that I would be more attentive to them if I were a boy child. But I have looked after them for a long time and I still do support them financially and in every way I can. But they always complain as if nothing is good enough for them and if I were a boy it would have been more beneficial for them. They are saying the baby will have a horrible character like me (but if I had a horrible character would I look after them and care about them after all the torture they give me?).

And about anomalies, we do not have a history of any anomaly. They like a nuclear family and that's why I became a single child. Even in my case they are against me having more children, as I mentioned earlier. I have already done genetic screening and everything is fine by Gods grace.
:thunk:

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:
The will thing is easy. Leave them each an envelope with some GPS coordinates, which leads to another set, which leads to a man that demands $500 for the next set that leads to an underwater location they need to learn to scuba dive for, which leads to etc etc etc, the final being the bank box or key or something in the a other's name. So they both have to complete their challenges for the other to get their money.

The boxes are empty.

goethe.cx
Apr 23, 2014

Pick posted:

Wills still require probate. Y'all are thinking of trusts

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

Outrail posted:

The will thing is easy. Leave them each an envelope with some GPS coordinates, which leads to another set, which leads to a man that demands $500 for the next set that leads to an underwater location they need to learn to scuba dive for, which leads to etc etc etc, the final being the bank box or key or something in the a other's name. So they both have to complete their challenges for the other to get their money.

The boxes are empty.

They each get sent to a room with a button. If no one presses a button, they split the money. If one of them presses the button they get all the money.

If both press the button, it all goes to the dog.

Ouhei
Oct 23, 2008

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
Spend all of your money on Red Lobster gift cards and just leave those to the kids.

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

Cumslut1895 posted:

Does this story involve cummies?!?

The term "Big" made me do a double take but it looks it's just some weird sorority term, which means nothing going on here is as wholesome and consensual as DDLG roleplay poo poo.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider

Ouhei posted:

Spend all of your money on Red Lobster gift cards and just leave those to the kids.

To my heirs I leave $100 million dollars, all of which must be spent at the Family Fun Center.

I've [24F] been dating my boss [35F] for two months. My Coworkers think I'm receiving my favoritism all the time.

quote:

Hi, first post here on relationships. be easy on me, lol. So, i work part-time at hooters for graduate school. Basically, i'm broke as hell and this helps to a certain extent.

i havent dated a guy seriously in so long (two years more specifically). i had a pretty toxic relationship in the past, my ex physically assaulted me when we broke up. Since then, i was kind of scared of dating again.

But, i'm really feeling my boss, hes super sweet and he has taken me out to multiple dates. He seems different. We slept together a lot and he asked me to be his gf. i said yes and we tried to keep it on the DL because obvious reasons.

However, one of the girls (co worker) found out b/c my boyfriend (my boss) told her and she is basically blasted my business stating, "i get special treatment at work b/c i'm sleeping with the boss."

But i dont feel like I get special treatment at work. Then again, i could be completely unaware and oblivious. Anyways i feel awful and i dont want anyone to hate or feel uncomfortable. There is enough drama in the work place and i dont want to add more. i'm thinking about dumping him, so i dont make anyone feel like i'm receiving special treatment. But i REALLY like him. Idk i'm feeling like im at odds.

tl;dr: i'm dating my boss. i feel like this may put a strain into the work environment, should i dump him or transfer to another location?

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

Pick posted:

There are more limitations on wills than movies think mostly because a lot of people are rear end holes

tragically irl if you try to pull a Brewster's Millions the courts will probably just decide you were senile, because they are killjoys

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

fruit on the bottom posted:

I've [24F] been dating my boss [35F] for two months. My Coworkers think I'm receiving my favoritism all the time.

This is exactly why "Don't poo poo where you eat" became a common phrase.

But Rocks Hurt Head
Jun 30, 2003

by Hand Knit
Pillbug
huh, a hooters manager dating one of the girls 10 years his junior. huh.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

fruit on the bottom posted:

To my heirs I leave $100 million dollars, all of which must be spent at the Family Fun Center.

gently caress you don't go to graduate school if you can't capitalize you stupid bitch. P.s. You are clearly incredibly stupid for other reasons also. Eat poo poo, people who do what you do make work hard for the rest of us big titty blondes.

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

someone's jealous

the bitcoin of weed
Nov 1, 2014

But Rocks Hurt Head posted:

huh, a hooters manager dating one of the girls 10 years his junior. huh.

the title says 35F but they use male pronouns throughout so I dont know whether to correct you or not

Pick posted:

gently caress you don't go to graduate school if you can't capitalize you stupid bitch. P.s. You are clearly incredibly stupid for other reasons also. Eat poo poo, people who do what you do make work hard for the rest of us big titty blondes.

:yikes:

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider

the bitcoin of weed posted:

the title says 35F but they use male pronouns throughout so I dont know whether to correct you or not

As per the comments the title was in error

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

Man I wanna know what program she's in cause she sucks badly at writing

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

What God wants, God gets, God help us all

Blue Train posted:

Man I wanna know what program she's in cause she sucks badly at writing

Technical writing.

limpy wimpy
Jul 1, 2007

Pvt.Scott posted:

As far as I know. It's also why tattoos were frowned upon in America until very recently. Criminals, sailors (often criminals themselves or at least quite rowdy on shore leave), whores, foreign savages and circus freaks had tattoos.

As an example of the negative associations of our waterborne troops with tattoos, the Marines still have a merit badge (mostly as a heritage thing) for serving your first year without being convicted of a felony. There was a time when that warranted a ribbon, rather than being a reasonable expectation.

Its actually 3 years, and all the branches have that. And its for not having ANY discipline problems.

"The criteria for a Good Conduct Medal are defined by Executive Orders 8809, 9323, and 10444. The medal is awarded to any active-duty enlisted member of the United States military who completes three consecutive years of "honorable and faithful service". Such service implies that a standard enlistment was completed without any non-judicial punishment, disciplinary infractions, or court martial offenses. If a service member commits an offense, the three-year mark "resets" and a service member must perform an additional three years of service without having to be disciplined, before the Good Conduct may be authorized."

Khorne
May 1, 2002

blarzgh posted:

I have actually prosecuted this same scam as misdemeanor theft! One of the other ones is that people will grab a bunch of KoolAid packets (~10 cents ea.) and hold them over the bar code of the more expensive item they're scanning, and then bag it all up and try to walk out.
For stuff like water bottle packages you can get it to scan single water bottles by accident. The problem is they charge $1.85 for a water bottle and $2.99 for 36 water bottles so you aren't really saving that much. It probably works with anything that has clear packaging of an item you can buy as a single, but there's not a lot of stuff like that.

maskenfreiheit
Dec 30, 2004

blarzgh posted:

I have actually prosecuted this same scam as misdemeanor theft! One of the other ones is that people will grab a bunch of KoolAid packets (~10 cents ea.) and hold them over the bar code of the more expensive item they're scanning, and then bag it all up and try to walk out.

Wouldn't they need video of him applying the sticker?

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope

Haifisch posted:

even given the financial support twist, i'm genuinely shocked that two parents of an only child aren't screaming for joy every second of the day that they're about to become grandparents

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

maskenfreiheit posted:

All they need is lp to say they saw him switch the sticker

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

limpy wimpy posted:

Its actually 3 years, and all the branches have that. And its for not having ANY discipline problems.

"The criteria for a Good Conduct Medal are defined by Executive Orders 8809, 9323, and 10444. The medal is awarded to any active-duty enlisted member of the United States military who completes three consecutive years of "honorable and faithful service". Such service implies that a standard enlistment was completed without any non-judicial punishment, disciplinary infractions, or court martial offenses. If a service member commits an offense, the three-year mark "resets" and a service member must perform an additional three years of service without having to be disciplined, before the Good Conduct may be authorized."

It amuses me that in the American military you can get an actual medal for this. Brezhnev would be envious.

maskenfreiheit
Dec 30, 2004

Blue Train posted:

ok yeah but what i mean is if he's smart enough to avoid being seen applying it it's pretty easy...

Bunni-kat
May 25, 2010

Service Desk B-b-bunny...
How can-ca-caaaaan I
help-p-p-p you?

Blue Train posted:

Or, you know, most places put on the machine generated sticker the date it was packed or for sell-by, so the fact it's nowhere near normal clearance timing would be a clue.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

Avenging_Mikon posted:

Or, you know, most places put on the machine generated sticker the date it was packed or for sell-by, so the fact it's nowhere near normal clearance timing would be a clue.
That wouldn't demonstrate that he is the one who changed it. I've never done the scam in question but I've moved stickers on things and walked away before....anarchy reigns.

Bunni-kat
May 25, 2010

Service Desk B-b-bunny...
How can-ca-caaaaan I
help-p-p-p you?

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

That wouldn't demonstrate that he is the one who changed it. I've never done the scam in question but I've moved stickers on things and walked away before....anarchy reigns.

Sorry, I was assuming the point was more "stop someone from buying it at wrong price" and less "get guy dead to rights." Most scammers won't come back for quite a while if you point out how terrible their scam was without directly accusing them. That's how I handled people swapping clearance stickers at my old job, anyway. :shrug:

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:

Haifisch posted:

"If you parasites don't start treating me and my family with respect I'll cut you off and throw you in a one star aged care facility."

Did OP give the cultural background here?

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

Avenging_Mikon posted:

Sorry, I was assuming the point was more "stop someone from buying it at wrong price" and less "get guy dead to rights." Most scammers won't come back for quite a while if you point out how terrible their scam was without directly accusing them. That's how I handled people swapping clearance stickers at my old job, anyway. :shrug:
Did you have cameras that could back up what you say? I mean, a smart scammer would never ever admit wrongdoing and insist that they found it that way and that your false advertising is ridiculous and and they spent 15 minutes picking out the cut of meat they want and let me see your manager etc. I think it's a pretty good scam but only if there's no cameras and most of the time you will get the discount price.

Admiral Ray
May 17, 2014

Proud Musk and Dogecoin fanboy

feedmegin posted:

It amuses me that in the American military you can get an actual medal for this. Brezhnev would be envious.

Only enlisted people receive them. Officers are held to a higher standard of conduct.

Pick posted:

Don't let dreams be dreams, you too can date a Hooters manager if you want.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider
Sticker man's karmic opposite.

[NY] Thought I bought eight towels, rung up for nine, turns out I have ten.

quote:

Buckle up, kids. This is going to be a stupid ride.

I am in the middle of a move, and needed new towels. I went to the local Walmart, and loaded up my cart with what I thought was eight towels, among other household necessities. I went to the register and was waited on by a very slow, elderly gentleman. The transaction wasn't large, but it took about half a minute to ring up each individual item in my order, and the cashier was ringing up strange quantities of things (ex: scanned one towel, punched in quantity "2" into the machine, scanned another and randomly punched in "5"). I had a feeling something was off about the receipt when it stated I had 9 towels, so once I got to my car, I started counting out the towels in the parking lot.

I got 9, then 10, then 9 again, and figured "whoops, bought an extra one". I'm home now, surrounded by chaos and towels, and it turns out I indeed have 10, but was only rung up for 9.

I want to do the right thing and pay for this extra towel, but I know that Walmart has been known for being rabid with it's loss prevention, even when people try to return an item they innocently missed in an order. Is there any way I can reduce the liability that I'm accused of theft or am given a hard time over a towel? I was at an actual cash register, not a self checkout machine, so I feel like that is proof enough I wasn't trying to bamboozle anyone.

tl;dr: bought towels. Rang up for too many towels. Thought I had the right amount of towels. Turns out I have too many towels.

quote:

I wouldn't want him to lose his job over this. :( The guy was clearly already in a crap mood, because the person in front of me had no patience and was giving him a hard time.

The towel was pretty inexpensive, and it would suck if they came down on him over something that was less than $5.

Ultimately someone suggests that OP can donate the towel to a charity if it bothers them that much, and OP says that sounds like a great idea

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Pvt.Scott posted:

Technical writing.

Lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer

maskenfreiheit posted:

Theft of <$500 is a class C misdemeanor (here) so its basically like a traffic ticket. The question is always, "can you prove it?" So you get all kinds of evidence coming through, which is generally some mishmash of video, the receipt for what they actually paid, witness statement from loss prevention/floor employee.

Edit: for reference, when WalMart or whoever catches you shoplifting, they call the cops, file a police report, and then send all their evidence over to the investigator who forwards it on to the prosecutor.

Generally they would try to have video following you from the meat counter picking up the cheap meat and loving with the sticker, then picking up the more expensive meat and loving with the sticker, and then when you get to the scanner the receipt will show the cheap meat was scanned. Then loss prevention or whoever would testify that they observed the meat, and that the new sticker had been hastily placed over the old one, and they removed it, and blah blah blah.

I mean, at that point he's gonna be asking for a jury trial, and trying to convince the jury that the sticker from the cheap meat that he clearly hosed with on video SOMEHOW MAGICALLY ended up on the other meat he tried to buy. Its not a good look.

And if you're looking at a misdemeanor theft conviction on your record, odds are you'll see the light and pay the fine and take deferred so you don't get permanently labelled as someone who tries to beat the meat.