Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Also shirk is fun when you're doing maps/caverns to dump all the hate for a dozen mobs on your dps friend for a second to scare them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mango Polo
Aug 4, 2007

Reiterpallasch posted:

i really like the scene in yanxia which is basically alexander nevesky rallying the people, except the "people" are like 10 generic npcs with pitchforks because the cutscene people were lazy

Yanxia is just that one village. That village and the castle. Those people are the only ones in Yanxia.

Dr Snofeld
Apr 30, 2009
What are the new stat priorities for Dragoon in Stormblood? Is Crit still the thing to meld or is Direct Hit more important?

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Dr Snofeld posted:

What are the new stat priorities for Dragoon in Stormblood? Is Crit still the thing to meld or is Direct Hit more important?

VIT so they take a little longer to die.

Dr Snofeld
Apr 30, 2009

Josuke Higashikata posted:

VIT so they take a little longer to die.

Man the floor ain't gonna tank itself.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Mango Polo posted:

Yanxia is just that one village. That village and the castle. Those people are the only ones in Yanxia.

What about the catfish to the southwest?

Solo Wing Pixy
Aug 5, 2008

It's an amanojaku!
And it hates you so much!

Mango Polo posted:

Hey now, don't forget about the catfish people squatting in an abandoned house.

This is actually one of the things that bugs me in Stormblood and even Heavensward. A lot of the areas in ARR had little towns and settlements scattered around, which I thought made the world feel a bit more lively and made it feel like the city-states were actually nations instead of one big city and maybe an outlying camp or two. Granted, Yanxia being depopulated makes sense since the Garleans killed or enslaved most of the people there. Hell, I seem to remember Yugiri saying that they killed everyone there that didn't escape.

Mango Polo
Aug 4, 2007
Alright fine. There were other people but they all died building those giant honkin walls.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Orcs and Ostriches posted:

The entire threat game is brain dead easy so having overheal cause threat only matters for like the first 5 seconds of a fight.

I take it you haven't tanked NED.

In case you haven't, there are 6 complete aggro resets throughout the fight, and three of them come right before a huge raid buster that requires your healers to be pumping out a figurative ton of healing enmity, and losing threat at the wrong time means a dead healer. Maintaining threat at the right times is probably the hardest part of that fight for me.

BrightWing
Apr 27, 2012

Yes, he is quite mad.

Dr Snofeld posted:

Actual answer, DH is better unless you can hit certain thresholds. Don't remember the thresholds off hand

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Solo Wing Pixy posted:

This is actually one of the things that bugs me in Stormblood and even Heavensward. A lot of the areas in ARR had little towns and settlements scattered around, which I thought made the world feel a bit more lively and made it feel like the city-states were actually nations instead of one big city and maybe an outlying camp or two. Granted, Yanxia being depopulated makes sense since the Garleans killed or enslaved most of the people there. Hell, I seem to remember Yugiri saying that they killed everyone there that didn't escape.

There are lots of recent ruins in Yanxia and in all three Gyr Abania zones so it's at least implied that there were more people before the Garleans showed up.

Also the ambiguousness of what exists between the zone lines etc.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

Fister Roboto posted:

In case you haven't, there are 6 complete aggro resets throughout the fight, and three of them come right before a huge raid buster that requires your healers to be pumping out a figurative ton of healing enmity, and losing threat at the wrong time means a dead healer. Maintaining threat at the right times is probably the hardest part of that fight for me.

Nah, I haven't done it. I think the aggro drop when combined with the raidwide damage sounds good though. Everyone's going to have to play the threat game a bit differently, and it seems like a decent way to add some difficulty to the fight in an aspect that generally doesn't have much.

Solo Wing Pixy
Aug 5, 2008

It's an amanojaku!

Thundarr posted:

There are lots of recent ruins in Yanxia and in all three Gyr Abania zones so it's at least implied that there were more people before the Garleans showed up.

Also the ambiguousness of what exists between the zone lines etc.

It would be nice if some of the parts of Yanxia and Gyr Abania start getting filled in through the 4.1-4.5 patches. Rhalgr's Reach and the Doman enclave would be obvious and easy to implement, but some rebuilding in the overworld would be cool too.

That said, I'm not sure if the game engine is designed to handle major differences in an area based off of a player's level/progress in the story. Obviously NPCs can be moved around and some elements of the map layout (like the magic walls in Yanxia) can be changed around, but trying to make a city that's not there for people that just arrived would be a lot more involved. I was thinking of something like Mor Dhona and Idyllshire, but I think those just became more built-up with every patch, so they're fully-reconstructed even if you just arrived there in the plot.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy

Fister Roboto posted:

Yeah everyone hems and haws about cure 3 on Neo being a big time saver in learning but very few seem to talk about the cover trick if you have a Pld.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

I just read about the cover trick. Putting it to use tonight. It might be possible to shield enough to not get knocked back as well.

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world

strong bird posted:

It was a bad net change since it resulted in Bio 1 being deleted.

Bio 1 needs to be nerfed to 35 potency/tick so that Bio II is an upgrade rather than a sidegrade.

Ignimbrite
Jan 5, 2010

BALLS BALLS BALLS
Dinosaur Gum

BrightWing posted:

Actual answer, DH is better unless you can hit certain thresholds. Don't remember the thresholds off hand

Iirc it's DH to (DH + crit < 3500), above that it's crit

Reiterpallasch
Nov 3, 2010

Fun Shoe
if cover works on earthshakers i am about to be _extremely_ mad

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Reiterpallasch posted:

I have no idea about O4S but it worked in T13. Prevented the pools too for some reason.

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

I think at least with the Eorzean city-states, it's kind of explicit in that they're pretty much all focused with their cities. Sure, they have outlying settlements but it's not a collection of settlements banding together under one flag, it's the city spreading its control over its territory via settlements. Doma, meanwhile, is generally spoken of as a nation.

Velthice
Dec 12, 2010

Lipstick Apathy

Reiterpallasch posted:

you absolutely can, yes

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

cheetah7071 posted:

I have no idea about O4S but it worked in T13. Prevented the pools too for some reason.

Probably like most damaging attacks with a kb component where if the initial hit does 0 damage there is no secondary effect.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

Solo Wing Pixy posted:

I would remind you that one of Hien's changes to the plan is to have the pirates sail straight past the castle after bombarding it, straight to the Doman Enclave to protect the citizens living there.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
The actual part that bugs me about Stormblood is that Doma was liberated in a single battle. Like, Doma castle had every single Garlean soldier in the country in it? There were no reinforcements anywhere? The empire didn't bother sending a legion in from elsewhere to help out after we beat them?

The first part could be explained if Doma really is just a small feudal fiefdom rather than a proper country but the plot certainly acts like it's bigger than that. The Garleans never responding to our attacks in any way is just sorta inexcusable though

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Reiterpallasch posted:

yeah we would use cover so that a melee could just ignore the mechanic. Cover is good for a lot of things like that. You can use it on stacking tank-busters like A7S and the ilk as well (as long as they were physical back in the day now it doesn't matter the damage type).

You can also use cover to steal blocks from the MT for swipes. Cover itself is a cooldown as well, so you don't necessarily need to be in tank stance to use it.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
My first O3S clear was filling in for a 7/8 static and they used cover on critical hits that awareness wasn't up for otherwise

UHD
Nov 11, 2006

cheetah7071 posted:

The actual part that bugs me about Stormblood is that Doma was liberated in a single battle. Like, Doma castle had every single Garlean soldier in the country in it? There were no reinforcements anywhere? The empire didn't bother sending a legion in from elsewhere to help out after we beat them?

The first part could be explained if Doma really is just a small feudal fiefdom rather than a proper country but the plot certainly acts like it's bigger than that. The Garleans never responding to our attacks in any way is just sorta inexcusable though

Someone along the way explained that the empire pulled out most of its soldiers after the rebellion was put down thinking the province was pacified. It's still kind of silly that the empire doesn't respond at loving all to Doma given what they do next.

(i have no idea what should be spoilered anymore)

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
If the 4.x plot is about the empire going "actually you only won the opening salvo, we have five legions moving from the southern frontier into Ala Mhigo, good luck" I could forgive it

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

I had the impression Zenos intentionally held back on the response so that he could have his grand showdown with you. That was a lot more important to him then protecting the Empire.

Khisanth Magus
Mar 31, 2011

Vae Victus

Gumball Gumption posted:

I had the impression Zenos intentionally held back on the response so that he could have his grand showdown with you. That was a lot more important to him then protecting the Empire.

Yeah, that is how I interpreted things as well. He didn't give a crap about the empire holding the land, he just wanted someone to fight.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

cheetah7071 posted:

My first O3S clear was filling in for a 7/8 static and they used cover on critical hits that awareness wasn't up for otherwise

We could do that if we had our war MT, but I'm MT on PLD. I have reprisal up for every crit and awareness for every other one. I'd sentinal/reprisal most of the rest and hallowed the one during the book phase.

Velthice
Dec 12, 2010

Lipstick Apathy

Mr. Nice! posted:

We could do that if we had our war MT, but I'm MT on PLD. I have reprisal up for every crit and awareness for every other one. I'd sentinal/reprisal most of the rest and hallowed the one during the book phase.

not that this isn't a valid way of doing things, but man is it waaaaay easier to have war mt that fight. it seems almost like it was specifically designed for war cooldowns.

BetterToRuleInHell
Jul 2, 2007

Touch my mask top
Get the chop chop
Oh man, speaking of Zenos, we still don't have any real lore on that sword he uses (that was part of the turtle dude tribe's treasure cache) do we?

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

BetterToRuleInHell posted:

Oh man, speaking of Zenos, we still don't have any real lore on that sword he uses (that was part of the turtle dude tribe's treasure cache) do we?

it had part of the kami that makes up Susano-o in it and is based on this

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kusanagi

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
I love that Zenos is a weeaboo.

Solo Wing Pixy
Aug 5, 2008

It's an amanojaku!

cheetah7071 posted:

If the 4.x plot is about the empire going "actually you only won the opening salvo, we have five legions moving from the southern frontier into Ala Mhigo, good luck" I could forgive it

Personally, I'll be genuinely shocked if the Garleans don't use their ultra-lethal bioweapon from that side quest chain to wipe out Doma.

BetterToRuleInHell
Jul 2, 2007

Touch my mask top
Get the chop chop

Blockhouse posted:

it had part of the kami that makes up Susano-o in it and is based on this

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kusanagi

I thought the sword was a separate relic from the three that made up Susano?

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

I think as far as Zenos' swords are concerned the lore is pretty much just that he thinks katanas are way cool but he doesn't know how to use them and breaks them so he needs a lot of them

BetterToRuleInHell
Jul 2, 2007

Touch my mask top
Get the chop chop

homeless snail posted:

I think as far as Zenos' swords are concerned the lore is pretty much just that he thinks katanas are way cool but he doesn't know how to use them and breaks them so he needs a lot of them

Oh, I know that, but the the MSQ really emphasized that sword, which for whatever reason was revered by the turtle tribe (I keep forgetting their name) and had some dark aura (kept reminding me how Ascians would present their power).

Since Susano was stored in their relics, it's obvious to assume that sword housed a primal or something similar as well. I really would just like to read the lore about it, is all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gearhead
Feb 13, 2007
The Metroid of Humor

homeless snail posted:

Zenos is using swords with a 'history' to them in a fashion similar to how FFT Samurai use swords, ultimately channeling so much power through them that they break. The first warning there is something very wrong with him is when he's able to do anything at ALL with the swords, when you consider Garleans cannot control aether outside of their bodies. Illberd and Raubahn both use a varition of this technique, but not to the extremes Zenos does.