Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

Ornamented Death posted:

Here's something from my wife, who works for a major bank. Apologies for formatting, I'm copying from IMs.

That sounds like a special kind of hell.

Quick update on this:

quote:

in an absolutely brilliant display, the manager running the meeting asked everyone to mute their phones b/c there was a lot of background noise and the girl goes "yeah, that's me, this new work room set up is noisy"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

SpartanIV posted:

Isn't that like super duper illegal?

Yes. The IRS got on their case and it ended up settled, I believe. I didn't have a 401k at the time, I heard all about it from a coworker. :sun:

Blue_monday
Jan 9, 2004

mind the teeth while you're going down
My bosses occasionally straight up forget to pay me because its a manual process. Its kind of a hassle for both parties. The only way they can set up automatic payments is if they have my entire yearly salary in reserve, which they technically might but I think it is semi-fair enough that they don't reserve it all. I get paid on a Friday and if I really care/need it I can send a polite text asking to get paid and it will be done nearly immediately. (I know they're good for it).

When we weren't, however, I did mention a couple of times that I was okay with them not paying me on time as I knew there were money issues. Saying that, they have a designation that I knew I could guarantee that there would be no money issues.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Blue_monday posted:

The only way they can set up automatic payments is if they have my entire yearly salary in reserve

Say what now?

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

I... don't think that's how banks work, my dude

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.
Five bucks say Blue_monday's employer has a history of non-payment or delayed payment so their payroll provider put them on cash-up-front :ssh:

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Blue_monday posted:

My bosses occasionally straight up forget to pay me because its a manual process. Its kind of a hassle for both parties. The only way they can set up automatic payments is if they have my entire yearly salary in reserve, which they technically might but I think it is semi-fair enough that they don't reserve it all. I get paid on a Friday and if I really care/need it I can send a polite text asking to get paid and it will be done nearly immediately. (I know they're good for it).

When we weren't, however, I did mention a couple of times that I was okay with them not paying me on time as I knew there were money issues. Saying that, they have a designation that I knew I could guarantee that there would be no money issues.

:stare: I never want to have to say this about an employer

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

That was Gary Cooper, asshole.

Nap Ghost

Foxhound posted:

No loving kidding. My current manager is the first one I've ever had that's interested in my growth as well as what I can currently deliver, it was pretty surreal at first.

In the place I'm at, I have the first manager since I've started that has been interested in his employees.
Manager 1, while an extremely nice guy and incredibly good at the technical portion of his job, was indifferent at best at being a manager. He didn't want to deal with people, which is kinda the main purpose of a manager.
Manager 2 was good at technical things, but had terrible people skills. We think he was bipolar and not great at keeping on his medications. He would be buddy buddy at one point, then be a rude rear end in a top hat an hour later. He was both a knowledge hoarder and micromanager, so we would be criticized for not knowing a thing that he never told us about. Then he would assign someone a project, but he'd come in at night and do the work. Also he once told us a story about pissing on the doorhandles of someone's car.
Manager 3 was a nice guy who unfortunately was going through a really portion of his life when hired and was dealing with a ongoing divorce and trying to be involved with his kids that were a 2 hour drive away. He stayed very distant from us and we would go days without any communication from him beyond a short email, despite him being 15 feet away. He died in a car accident earlier this year.
Manager 4 is a breath of fresh air, he seems interested in the people in our department, has enough technical knowledge to at least follow along with what we are doing, and is a nice guy to boot. But, he's trying to come in and steer a department that is used to running without a leader and he's kinda trying too hard. But, its actually kind weird to have a supervisor who wants to make things better, and not just sigh and get on with it. I had to work late tonight to swap some gear out at a location, and he asked if I was ok with it and if this wouldn't ruin my personal life. I mean, I don't have a personal life, but the thought was nice.

maskenfreiheit
Dec 30, 2004

Fil5000 posted:

If people have any sense they take those outputs with a grain of salt. Tools like that are invaluable for finding out the bottlenecks in a process and for finding people who are just taking the piss, but if your organisation starts using it to track you within an inch of your life then run away.

A smart boss would just install a root cert so they can see if you're on cheeky and fun subreddits or the next violetscrez

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

it means nothing, but says everything!
Pillbug

Blue_monday posted:

I don't know what the gently caress this is, but the only thing I can think of is some kind of new level of Stockholm syndrome.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

Blue_monday posted:

what the heck is this nonsense

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

A cell phone across the hall and another one below me have been ringing for a solid minute uninterrupted

What

Is

Happening

E: okay they stopped, thanks lowtax for your magic forums

E2: gently caress IT STARTED AGAIN

E3: this is a special kind of hell

Shugojin fucked around with this message at 17:10 on Aug 17, 2017

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

Shugojin posted:

A cell phone across the hall and another one below me have been ringing for a solid minute uninterrupted

What

Is

Happening

E: okay they stopped, thanks lowtax for your magic forums

E2: gently caress IT STARTED AGAIN

E3: this is a special kind of hell

Get a hammer. They're the only good sound cancelling devices I know of.

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED

FrozenVent posted:

Get a hammer. They're the only good sound cancelling devices I know of.

This is definitely a, "go find the offending device and do something about it" situation. At worst you can turn the ringer volume down to nothing.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy
Due to an incredibly stupid grandfathered process, I find myself occasionally needing to set up meetings between two departments with no access to their calendars. It involves a lot of back and forth because they're too chickenshit to talk to one another on the phone.

I got a blessing from my supervisor to schedule it at 3AM on a Saturday. I have a feeling he thinks I was joking.

I am not a loving secretary.

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

it means nothing, but says everything!
Pillbug

Renegret posted:

Due to an incredibly stupid grandfathered process, I find myself occasionally needing to set up meetings between two departments with no access to their calendars. It involves a lot of back and forth because they're too chickenshit to talk to one another on the phone.

I got a blessing from my supervisor to schedule it at 3AM on a Saturday. I have a feeling he thinks I was joking.

https://beta.doodle.com/

This works.

But it's probably too complicated for your target audience anyway.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

evobatman posted:

https://beta.doodle.com/

This works.

But it's probably too complicated for your target audience anyway.

my target audience is a bunch of field techs and a government agency.

The only fix is for my manager to grow some balls and stop letting us be treated like secretaries.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

Just passive aggressively forward the call to the other to make them talk

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

Renegret posted:

I want to yell this at so many people who call in looking for someone. Like, I'll forward your call no problem, and if they aren't there I can put you in their voice mail, but if you start to say "oh could you just tell him that..." no. gently caress you. I gave you the options that will lead to a response from this person. I'm not going to waste my brain space on remembering your stupid rear end called for X person until they walk by, which might be never. Don't try to put me on the hook for that poo poo.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

Clerk from another department complained to HR that one of my reports was leaving early.

HR passes complain anonymously to me. I discuss the matter with report, who's immediately suspicious of the clerk (apparently the clerk has an history of doing this). I tell her it doesn't matter and please be sure to be seen at your desk until five.

Clerk came to my office today, closed the door and complained that my report was mad at her.

Adults.

PhotoKirk
Jul 2, 2007

insert witty text here
Late last year, I got voluntold that I am doing all of the printed materials (invites, program, menus, Save The Date cards, etc.), website and photography for the owner's nephew's wedding on Labor Day. I'll be on site out of state from Thursday until Monday, shooting photos of the welcome party, pre-party, wedding, reception, and goodbye party.

Today I was told that I am only get paid to shoot the wedding, not for the rest of time I will be away from my family. All of the print stuff - "You get paid a salary. That's part of your job." Thursday, Friday, Tuesday - "You get paid a salary. That's part of your job." If this had been freelance work I would have been paid enough to buy a used car.

Five days away from my family - but I get my salary.

15 years at this job, they just pissed it all away over this stupid wedding. Assholes.

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005
Do you actually do anything that could even remotely be linked to this for perception that it's your job? Just because your boss tells his secretary to rake his lawn doesn't make it her job.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
I used to deliver flowers for someone that would have me shovel snow from his driveway at his house.

And of course I loving did it for the nine bucks an hour he was paying me already.

PhotoKirk
Jul 2, 2007

insert witty text here

Sundae posted:

Do you actually do anything that could even remotely be linked to this for perception that it's your job? Just because your boss tells his secretary to rake his lawn doesn't make it her job.

I'm Director of Design, which means I do graphic design, photography, video, light IT work, and oversee our print shop. My background is photojournalism, then I ran a print shop after newspapers failed to understand the internet and died. I still do freelance photo work for businesses and weddings.

I have always been fairly compensated when I have done work for the owner's pet projects in the past (e.g. worked with a breast cancer charity that raised $1.28 million in one night! W00t!) That's what has me pissed now. They don't respect my time or family. Time to move on.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Haha my manager didn't even put in my final date that I told her like 2 weeks ago to HR, thinking she could get me to push it past the date. What the gently caress, how is this in any way acceptable?

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin
That manager does not understand the significance of two weeks notice. It's a courtesy, not a legal obligation. The bridge is burned, quit whenever you feel like it now.

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED

PhotoKirk posted:

I'm Director of Design, which means I do graphic design, photography, video, light IT work, and oversee our print shop. My background is photojournalism, then I ran a print shop after newspapers failed to understand the internet and died. I still do freelance photo work for businesses and weddings.

I have always been fairly compensated when I have done work for the owner's pet projects in the past (e.g. worked with a breast cancer charity that raised $1.28 million in one night! W00t!) That's what has me pissed now. They don't respect my time or family. Time to move on.

You have such an opportunity for revenge here. Do your absolute best job at the event, go out of your way to capture every important moment. Such a shame about that thin layer of vaseline that got onto the camera lens, huh? Or maybe you cut yourself on a sharp edge on one of the folding chairs, and tiny droplets of blood hit the lens. Man, what are the odds?

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

That manager does not understand the significance of two weeks notice. It's a courtesy, not a legal obligation. The bridge is burned, quit whenever you feel like it now.

Yup. If you can afford to, just leave. That reference isn't worth having.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

Pretty much this. Unless you need that extra week that you planned on, just drop all your things off and don't come back.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Jordan7hm posted:

Yup. If you can afford to, just leave. That reference isn't worth having.

Well, the Philipino BBQ out at Gateway on Tuesday.

Just don't go back to the office after that.

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

GrandpaPants posted:

Haha my manager didn't even put in my final date that I told her like 2 weeks ago to HR, thinking she could get me to push it past the date. What the gently caress, how is this in any way acceptable?

Your manager is a flaming pile of poo poo. Leave at the first financially feasible moment, ideally right when it fucks her over the worst.

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

FrozenVent posted:

Clerk from another department complained to HR that one of my reports was leaving early.

HR passes complain anonymously to me. I discuss the matter with report, who's immediately suspicious of the clerk (apparently the clerk has an history of doing this). I tell her it doesn't matter and please be sure to be seen at your desk until five.

Clerk came to my office today, closed the door and complained that my report was mad at her.

Adults.

Does your company have a policy of having to be there until 5?

I'd be telling that other clerk to gently caress off immediately.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

I am basically only staying to make sure that every single member of senior management that I know knows what happened, who is responsible, and why it's utter bullshit. My manager already super hosed it up with me and burnt that bridge, but the department as a whole seems sensible enough to know that this is, in fact, not the way you treat someone who is leaving on what was meant to be amicable terms, and if I can spare anyone else this bullshit, I will. I'm also not the only one to have gone through something similar, as a colleague in another department also basically got the same thing, even though she and her husband had already moved to loving Chicago (from San Francisco). I want to name names, and at the very least ensure that these people don't get another report under them ever again, because gently caress them.

Also I wanted to secure contact information for the people who would be good references, since obviously my manager is not really a reliable one. I also need to talk with HR about some various administrative things, like changing my address so that stuff like my tax forms go to the right place.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

No Butt Stuff posted:

Does your company have a policy of having to be there until 5?

I'd be telling that other clerk to gently caress off immediately.

Yes, and it's ridiculous. I'm a manager and I have to fill out a time sheet. On the plus side, I get comp time, woo.

I basically told her not to involve me in schoolyard drama.

John Smith
Feb 26, 2015

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

PhotoKirk posted:

No call, no show for the wedding? That is the lol option.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Show up and then right as the wedding is about to start quit and go home.

StupidSexyMothman
Aug 9, 2010

PhotoKirk posted:

Late last year, I got voluntold that I am doing all of the printed materials (invites, program, menus, Save The Date cards, etc.), website and photography for the owner's nephew's wedding on Labor Day. I'll be on site out of state from Thursday until Monday, shooting photos of the welcome party, pre-party, wedding, reception, and goodbye party.

Today I was told that I am only get paid to shoot the wedding, not for the rest of time I will be away from my family. All of the print stuff - "You get paid a salary. That's part of your job." Thursday, Friday, Tuesday - "You get paid a salary. That's part of your job." If this had been freelance work I would have been paid enough to buy a used car.

15 years at this job, they just pissed it all away over this stupid wedding. Assholes.

You get paid to take the pictures. Delivery of said photographs is extra. :smuggo:

Alternate option: start advertising wedding services under the owner's name. It's part of your job!

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

PhotoKirk posted:

Just don't do it; tell them to find a new photographer and if you're canned hooray unemployment while you look.

John Smith
Feb 26, 2015

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Submarine Sandpaper posted:

Just don't do it; tell them to find a new photographer and if you're canned hooray unemployment while you look.
Too late for a professional decline now. It is either going nuclear as per my earlier post, or bowing under. Can't back out gracefully on the day before.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arkanomen
May 6, 2007

All he wants is a hug

PhotoKirk posted:

If you are acting as an employee of the company then the costs of such an action come out of company funds, dead stop. Your salary compensates your time, it is an end cost and is not there to pay for the business costs. Boss needs to either authorize a payback for recipets or hand you a company paid credit card.

If you are travelling then travel expenses are to be paid as well. Does you company have a travel policy? Does your job description have travel included in the job description? What are the specifics of "part of your job".

Basically tell him he is off his rocker and to sit on it. You have a job description and there has to be policy in place to outline how assignments like this are handled.

You've also been there 15 years, you should be able to tell your boss he or she's being a chucklefuck by now and have the seniority to push back.