Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST

Gearhead posted:

Regula was a bit of a changeup in that he was set up to make people think he might be a Kefka in the making and turned out to be General Leo.

Zenos foregoes trying to be a callback to a previous FF boss entirely (except maybe Kefka) and fails to be much like Vayne at all. He's much more like a Luca Blight-like character who has become completely unfettered. I'm really kind of curious if we'll find out HOW a monster like Zenos is created. Did his becoming Resonant drive him mad or did he submit to the process in an effort to gain absolute mastery over himself and was ALREADY that crazy?

It was more about their plans than their actual characters. Their circumstances. Regular was on a floating continent with the Warring Triad. Nael tried to drop a meteor with help from an angry god from space. I get the empire thing someone mentioned earlier.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vadoc
Dec 31, 2007

Guess who made waffles...

Doing your your daily roulettes, completing stuff in the challenge log (3 dungeons in a roulette (the Trial roulette doesn't count for this), completing 5 dungeons, commending 5 people, Fates/Leves etc), POTD.

edit: Frontline/PVP also gives decent xp and you can get into it fast these days and matches don't take too long on average.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.

SonicRulez posted:

It was more about their plans than their actual characters. Their circumstances. Regular was on a floating continent with the Warring Triad. Nael tried to drop a meteor with help from an angry god from space. I get the empire thing someone mentioned earlier.

Zenos conquered Doma.

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

ImpAtom posted:

It probably can break stuff and would require a ton of testing to fix. Remember how just letting people sit/emote when going into Susano caused them to become permanently stuck?

There was a fairly simple explanation for that: you wind up floating in water after you complete that trial for story, so the game would try to load you emoting and swimming at the same time and crash.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

Clarste posted:

Zenos conquered Doma.

Zenos didn't conquer Doma. Van Baelsar did, right? Zeno was just the replacement after we killed Van Baelsar.

Adept Nightingale
Feb 7, 2005

Mordiceius posted:

Zenos didn't conquer Doma. Van Baelsar did, right? Zeno was just the replacement after we killed Van Baelsar.

Correct, though Zenos did put down their last attempt at rebellion pretty brutally.

Ultimately I think that's a big part of why he acts like he does; none of the territory he's stewarding is from his own conquests, and neither the previous emperor nor the current one will let him push outward and take new ground, so he wants to draw the WoL in for a fight with real stakes.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

I know kills in PVP are important and all, but it's really disheartening to see lone cowboys run headlong into deathballs trying to kill one person. Or a BLM who refuses to move, and eats benedictions from multiple whms trying to keep the stationary idiot engine running in the face of a giant mass of Adders.

These have to be bots, the alternative is just too depressing.

jalapeno_dude
Apr 10, 2015

Xarbala posted:

I know kills in PVP are important and all, but it's really disheartening to see lone cowboys run headlong into deathballs trying to kill one person. Or a BLM who refuses to move, and eats benedictions from multiple whms trying to keep the stationary idiot engine running in the face of a giant mass of Adders.

These have to be bots, the alternative is just too depressing.

What, that actual humans deliberately joined the worst Grand Company? Yeah, that's depressing.

Gearhead
Feb 13, 2007
The Metroid of Humor

Adept Nightingale posted:

Correct, though Zenos did put down their last attempt at rebellion pretty brutally.

Ultimately I think that's a big part of why he acts like he does; none of the territory he's stewarding is from his own conquests, and neither the previous emperor nor the current one will let him push outward and take new ground, so he wants to draw the WoL in for a fight with real stakes.

This feels right. Zenos has nothing to call his own except perhaps his pet project.

SL the Pyro
Jun 16, 2013

My soul cries out
with the desire to
FRACTURE
your puny spine.

what do you mean that hotkey disappeared

The Roegabomination is back. Can you spot the difference?

Mr. Leonheart
Oct 14, 2007

All I know is that to me
You look like you're havin' fun

Gearhead posted:

This feels right. Zenos has nothing to call his own except perhaps his pet project.

Except that it's incorrect. Zenos oversaw the conquest of Doma. van Baelsar conquered Gyr Abania and served as its Viceroy until his death, at which point Zenos took over.

ActionZero
Jan 22, 2011

I act once more in
imitation of light

Mr. Leonheart posted:

Except that it's incorrect. Zenos oversaw the conquest of Doma. van Baelsar conquered Gyr Abania and served as its Viceroy until his death, at which point Zenos took over.

Zenos didn't conquer Doma (we don't actually know who was in charge of that), he put down the rebellion when they tried to free themselves while Garlemald was having their succession issues.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

I have healed through a string of absolutely terrible 56DRs on my WHM this week. The highlight was last night when a PLD tank joined the group with LESS HP THAN I HAVE and then refused to put up Shield Oath or ANY aura at all. I'll take that 30 minute DR penalty, gently caress it I'll play Sonic Mania while it wears off.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

TPT is #15 in the world for last week's FC standings and Excal is TPT, PBC, DGKK at 1,2, & 3. Keep up the good work, gang!

http://na.finalfantasyxiv.com/lodestone/ranking/fc/weekly/

Shy
Mar 20, 2010

Sorry the correct names are mol, mol and mol.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Shy posted:

Sorry the correct names are mol, mol and mol.

mol? mol. and third party tools

Rienne never changed ours so we just have the tag mol!

The Grimace
Sep 18, 2005

Are you a BigMac of imbeciles!?

Vargatron posted:

I have healed through a string of absolutely terrible 56DRs on my WHM this week. The highlight was last night when a PLD tank joined the group with LESS HP THAN I HAVE and then refused to put up Shield Oath or ANY aura at all. I'll take that 30 minute DR penalty, gently caress it I'll play Sonic Mania while it wears off.

Lights, camera, ACTION :coal:

strong bird
May 12, 2009

Mr. Nice! posted:

mol? mol. and third party tools

Rienne never changed ours so we just have the tag mol!

Coward

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

I don't have the power to change it.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
[21:13](Chuchuraji Buburaji) *In Jeb Bush voice* Please float

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

I've combined my love of 2 terrible games into one. Yoko Taro where is the NierxFFXIV collab?

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord

Alder posted:

I've combined my love of 2 terrible games into one. Yoko Taro where is the NierxFFXIV collab?

He's not going to touch this nerfed-cat-butts game

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

Alder posted:

AGHHHHHHHHHHHH THE CURSOR

Also, I take back what I said about Sleeve Draw, there is *one* good use for it and that is screenshots.

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

SwissArmyDruid posted:

AGHHHHHHHHHHHH THE CURSOR

Also, I take back what I said about Sleeve Draw, there is *one* good use for it and that is screenshots.

What? Sleeve draw is great if you have a aoe card already burned, you've got pretty good odds for pulling a balance. I mean if nothing keep it burning after your usual draw rotation for what's basically a 2nd draw plus extras.

EDIT: Nine times out of ten when I get a good string of balances it's because of sleeve draw and possibly a redraw. If I had to use nothing but draw/redraw they'd be far and few between.

Reiterpallasch
Nov 3, 2010

Fun Shoe
sleeve draw is

good

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
Especially now that you can discard anything, Sleeve Draw is loving amazing.

Ghost of Starman
Mar 9, 2008
finally got to ishgard, jesus christ

...so what's the general idea with DRK at 30? Establish a solid threat lead with Grit + Unleash, then drop Grit and use Role cooldowns to stay alive and still do decent deeps?

Reiterpallasch
Nov 3, 2010

Fun Shoe
the class doesn't gain its identity until it gets dark arts anyway, so just go nuts

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Ghost of Starman posted:

...so what's the general idea with DRK at 30? Establish a solid threat lead with Grit + Unleash, then drop Grit and use Role cooldowns to stay alive and still do decent deeps?

That's pretty much all you can do right away at 30, yeah. Dark Arts lets you start burning your MP to boost various skills but until you get it you're kind of a more boring Paladin.

e: the pro-est DRK tip: always do your job quests right away. Then read your quest journal afterwards. (It gets less interesting from 52-58 but the job has some of the best quests).

Thundarr fucked around with this message at 00:44 on Aug 18, 2017

KoB
May 1, 2009

Alder posted:

ff14 doesnt have the booty to support a Nier collab.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

every time more than one person with a riker avatar posts on the same page it confuses the f out of me

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

It's not our fault you weren't cool enough to get one.

Ghost of Starman
Mar 9, 2008
(thx for the DRK feedback)

Someone posted something about a bajillion pages back, but it was a clever-sounding use of Surecast on caster classes that I can't quite remember. Something about combining it with Swiftcast, or possibly just a case where Surecast applies that isn't obvious from the tooltip... does anyone know what I might be thinking of? :sigh:

kojei
Feb 12, 2008

Ghost of Starman posted:

Someone posted something about a bajillion pages back, but it was a clever-sounding use of Surecast on caster classes that I can't quite remember. Something about combining it with Swiftcast, or possibly just a case where Surecast applies that isn't obvious from the tooltip... does anyone know what I might be thinking of? :sigh:

Instant casts do not consume Surecast, so in combination with Swiftcast (and/or Dualcast) you can continue DPS on something without consuming your Surecast buff.

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

Ghost of Starman posted:

Mostly yeah. Depending on your experience with tanking in general (aggro and survivability primarily, also things like positioning and not being pointlessly wiggly), it's also totally fine if you're newer to just chill in Grit full-time until you get a clearer sense of when you're totally fine dropping it and when you're not comfortable dropping it.

The long-term goal for endgame tanking is, yes, be in Grit only when you need it for survival or aggro, otherwise drop Grit for more deeps. However, much though more deeps is a great overall goal for anyone, it is very definitely always secondary to survival and aggro.

If you get yourself killed (or make your healer cure-bomb you so much that they're losing more DPS than you're gaining), if you're losing aggro and mobs are running around, or even if you're only keeping such a razor-thin aggro lead that it means your DPS are likely holding back... all of those are bigger problems that are more important than min/maxing your personal DPS. Unless you're, like, running with a static and chasing a personal best parse or some poo poo. But for realistic situations that you'll be in 99%+ of the time, the net effect on the group is more important.

That doesn't mean always hide out playing it super safe with nothing but Grit and threat combos either, of course, but point being you'll need to use some judgment and that judgment will come with practice and experience.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Ghost of Starman posted:

Surecast also makes you immune to most knockback, so if you activate it you can ignore attacks that push you away until you cast a spell. So for fights like Exdeath you can hit it while he casts Vacuum Wave, wait for the attack to hit you, and then cast your spell. (or just make sure you're mid-cast when Vacuum Wave hits if you time it well)

Thundarr fucked around with this message at 04:28 on Aug 18, 2017

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

Vil posted:

Mostly yeah. Depending on your experience with tanking in general (aggro and survivability primarily, also things like positioning and not being pointlessly wiggly), it's also totally fine if you're newer to just chill in Grit full-time until you get a clearer sense of when you're totally fine dropping it and when you're not comfortable dropping it.

The long-term goal for endgame tanking is, yes, be in Grit only when you need it for survival or aggro, otherwise drop Grit for more deeps. However, much though more deeps is a great overall goal for anyone, it is very definitely always secondary to survival and aggro.

If you get yourself killed (or make your healer cure-bomb you so much that they're losing more DPS than you're gaining), if you're losing aggro and mobs are running around, or even if you're only keeping such a razor-thin aggro lead that it means your DPS are likely holding back... all of those are bigger problems that are more important than min/maxing your personal DPS. Unless you're, like, running with a static and chasing a personal best parse or some poo poo. But for realistic situations that you'll be in 99%+ of the time, the net effect on the group is more important.

That doesn't mean always hide out playing it super safe with nothing but Grit and threat combos either, of course, but point being you'll need to use some judgment and that judgment will come with practice and experience.

Stay in grit for trash, do 2-3 enmity combos on a boss, turn grit off and go to town. No need to over-complicate things.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Vil posted:

I don't understand. What does "holding back" mean.

(I will gladly coach tanks that are able to hold more agro to hold more agro. But I play this game to push buttons!)

Avynte
Jun 30, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Thundarr posted:

I don't understand. What does "holding back" mean.

(I will gladly coach tanks that are able to hold more agro to hold more agro. But I play this game to push buttons!)

Yellow light means pedal to the metal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Samael
Oct 16, 2012

As a static, we are having trouble with the dragon add in O3S, what's the optimal way of tanking it?