Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
KIM JONG TRILL
Nov 29, 2006

GIN AND JUCHE
The Eagles are going to lose 10 games imho.

https://twitter.com/PFF/status/897748776085061635

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a new study bible!
Feb 2, 2009

BIG DICK NICK
A Philadelphia Legend
Fly Eagles Fly

good thing Nick Foles is going to be starting

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

Didn't Wentz only throw like 5 passes last week?

More evidence PFF is full of poo poo imo

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Wentz has been bad and idk man

He could be good but it would take a lot

Miracles happen I guess

NotWearingPants
Jan 3, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Nap Ghost

troofs posted:

I actually don't feel strongly about this (and I've already said I don't think it'll actually happen) but it'll give me a chance to poo poo talk the eagles so I'll argue with you just for the sake of an argument :v:

Nice work. Good job!

Metapod posted:

Why do phili fans think Blount is good?

I think he's ok.

NotWearingPants
Jan 3, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Nap Ghost
https://twitter.com/JimmyKempski/status/898336972564963328

Kendricks for Fuller and call it an offseason.

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

If you're not striving to improve, you'll end up going backwards.
When the poo poo did we pick up Matt McGloin?

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002

Metapod posted:

Why do phili fans think Blount is good?

Same reason they think Wentz is Derek Carr

The jersey!

a new study bible!
Feb 2, 2009

BIG DICK NICK
A Philadelphia Legend
Fly Eagles Fly

Metapod posted:

Blount is worse than every single one of those backs you listed

We got this guy, Corey Clement, who's going to be really good.

Based off one preseason game

NotWearingPants
Jan 3, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Nap Ghost

a new study bible! posted:

We got this guy, Corey Clement, who's going to be really good.

Based off one preseason game

I actually really like Clement. I like Marshall too. But it's a numbers game and I believe the way the depth charts is now, neither makes the team. I think RB could be a spot where a surprise cut is made. Sproles is safe, but I wouldn't be completely shocked if one of the other three, Smallwood, Pumphrey or Blount is released. Pumphrey could probably actually make it to the practice squad. Is anyone else really going to use a roster spot for a 160lb 4th round RB who hasn't looked good in the preseason?

NotWearingPants
Jan 3, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Nap Ghost

Amy Pole Her posted:

Same reason they think Wentz is Derek Carr

The jersey!

Derek Carr is a little guy. Wentz is more of a Joe Flacco.

a new study bible!
Feb 2, 2009

BIG DICK NICK
A Philadelphia Legend
Fly Eagles Fly

NotWearingPants posted:

I actually really like Clement. I like Marshall too. But it's a numbers game and I believe the way the depth charts is now, neither makes the team. I think RB could be a spot where a surprise cut is made. Sproles is safe, but I wouldn't be completely shocked if one of the other three, Smallwood, Pumphrey or Blount is released. Pumphrey could probably actually make it to the practice squad. Is anyone else really going to use a roster spot for a 160lb 4th round RB who hasn't looked good in the preseason?

Corey Clement picked up a huge block last night in the second quarter and it was just great. I tried to find video of it, but I don't want to download an entire preseason game just for 20 seconds of video. I hope he can make the team.

troofs
Feb 28, 2011

The better Manning.
Isn't Pumphrey more of a special teams / gadget player anyway? Haven't watched any preseason, is he returning kicks? That's what I would have assumed.

axeil
Feb 14, 2006
https://twitter.com/evansilva/status/898516919589797888

PLEASE COME HOME SHADY

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

Cross posting. What's our cap situation like?

Feb 24, 2006

#worldchamps

CyberPingu posted:

Cross posting. What's our cap situation like?

We have the same cap space now that we started with somehow (wtf, Howie :allears)

$12.5 million.

Technically, Shady would cost $6.25 million this year.

Send last night's MVP, Kendricks to the Bills for Shady. That would be the greatest thing ever.

89 fucked around with this message at 19:24 on Aug 18, 2017

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Remember how good you are
Taco Defender
The Eagles have the cap space to acquire McCoy if they want. I for one, hope they do trade for a 29 year-old running back

Feb 24, 2006

#worldchamps
I love Shady. He was my favorite player, period.

But, HYPOTHETICALLY that were to happen (there's zero talk of it), we'd be in the same position in a couple of years of needing a lead RB. Possibly a year. I dunno what we would have to give up at this point either. I don't see us sending any draft picks unless it were something ridiculous like a 6th.

But I mean...

89 fucked around with this message at 19:35 on Aug 18, 2017

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002
Philly has 11.35

Feb 24, 2006

#worldchamps
Side note, Derek Barnett's scary motor:

https://twitter.com/BaldyNFL/status/898531725457981440

a new study bible!
Feb 2, 2009

BIG DICK NICK
A Philadelphia Legend
Fly Eagles Fly

I'm not in love with bringing Shady back with the current situation. Obviously he's individually better than anyone else on staff, but it's a risk.

Feb 24, 2006

#worldchamps
I sincerely doubt it happens.

But, I'm not saying I wouldn't have the biggest boner.

MrLogan
Feb 4, 2004

Ask me about Derek Carr's stolen MVP awards, those dastardly refs, and, oh yeah, having the absolute worst fucking gimmick in The Football Funhouse.

Nice tackling form.

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

Has Shady still been that good on the Bills? Not trying to be a wiseass, they just aren't on TV much.

Boosh!
Apr 12, 2002
Oven Wrangler
He was really good last year.

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender

Gumbel2Gumbel posted:

Has Shady still been that good on the Bills? Not trying to be a wiseass, they just aren't on TV much.

Shady was fantastic last year. The dude is legit amazing. But he's also 29 and that means he's not going to be good for much longer

a new study bible!
Feb 2, 2009

BIG DICK NICK
A Philadelphia Legend
Fly Eagles Fly

I would be sad, but it would be funny to see Dallas make a move on him to fill Zeke's absence. This would never happen, but I bet Shady would tear it up.

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

a new study bible! posted:

I would be sad, but it would be funny to see Dallas make a move on him to fill Zeke's absence. This would never happen, but I bet Shady would tear it up.

God Shady getting a couple free tickets to the 2nd level every game would be loving disgusting. I would be physically ill.

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

Do different style backs have different career lengths in the NFL or does it just depend on the person. E.g I can see shady lasting less time than a north south back as the jump cuts must wreck havoc on his knees and ankles in the long term.

But I might be talking out my arse...

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

CyberPingu posted:

Do different style backs have different career lengths in the NFL or does it just depend on the person. E.g I can see shady lasting less time than a north south back as the jump cuts must wreck havoc on his knees and ankles in the long term.

Uh he will last longer but if he tears something important he's hosed since he relies so heavily on change of direction. He's like, a 4 cut back

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender

CyberPingu posted:

I'd wager that bruisers tend to have much shorter careers. Earl Campbell wasn't exactly known for making lots of cuts.

That said, there were a few guys that had good seasons after 30, but no one past 31. The best-case for Shady is 3 more seasons of good play, but I'd bet against it. The guys who played well past 30 recently are Fred Jackson, Fred Taylor, Tiki Barber, Warrick Dunn, Curtis Martin, Thomas Jones, and Ricky Williams. They each had what I'd call a great season at either age 30 or 31. But being an amazing back is no safeguard--Tomlinson's last good season was at 29.

I suspect that running backs face a combination of declining speed and agility as they approach 30, plus that's where 8+ years of starter-level usage start to take their toll.

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

OJ was making deep cuts well into his 40's tho

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

How could you miss Frank Gore off that list?

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Sproles still playing he's like 80

Marcus Allen played into his 70s

NotWearingPants
Jan 3, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Nap Ghost
Shady's contract goes through 2019 with dead money hits right up to and including the final year. I don't think the Eagles will be interested in taking on his 9mil a year contract, unless of course they could offset it by trading a player with a pricey contract, like Kelce or maybe Vinny Curry, but then why would the Bills have any interest in that?

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender

CyberPingu posted:

How could you miss Frank Gore off that list?

His 30 season was pretty good, but none were what I'd call "great." A few of his post-29 seasons hit 1k yards, but he had few rushing TDs and the best of them averaged something like 4.1 ypc

e: comparatively, Tiki Barber rushed for 1,800 yds and a 5.2 ypc average at 30 and 1,660/5.1 at 31

Gore was good for a long time, but his 30+ seasons were more workhorse-like than great

Athanatos
Jun 7, 2006

Est. 1967
I think getting 1000 yards behind the Colts offensive line counts for at least 1500 anywhere else.

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender

Athanatos posted:

I think getting 1000 yards behind the Colts offensive line counts for at least 1500 anywhere else.

He was still in SF while he was 30/31. He didn't hit 1k yards his first year with the Colts

But generally, I agree-ish. Gore is a dude who was really good for a long time, but never "HoF good" in my opinion

NotWearingPants
Jan 3, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Nap Ghost

Gumbel2Gumbel posted:

OJ was making deep cuts well into his 40's tho

lol missed that at first :golfclap:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TeeMerk
Jun 9, 2013
Dak is holding up the Lombardi this year.

The reason the NFCE is the best division in football has never had anything to do with the Eagles.

• Locked thread