Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

fridge corn posted:

if your strings are buzzing it may be your action is set too low

That sounds like a bumper sticker that refers to some kind of sex thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

You can't be angry ALL the time!

Fun Shoe

fridge corn posted:

This. Also the neck might not be 100% straight.

Learning on an electric guitar is also much, much easier because the strings have less tension.

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

What have you assholes done now?

fridge corn posted:

You know honestly it may be too high. I've never had it adjusted. I should do that.

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

scuz posted:

This. Also the neck might not be 100% straight.

Learning on an electric guitar is also much, much easier because the strings have less tension.

poo poo, this too. Once I get back from the eclipse viewing I'm taking it in to some professional guitar dude.

I've got a really pretty blue electric Les Paul Epiphone that I never use because I just like the classical stuff way more for some reason Hopefully that changes. You can do some really cool stuff with an electric and you're right they're way easier on the hands.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

I have a Yamaha electric drum set and keyboard both plugged in to a drum/keyboard amp and my son and I jam out when mom isn't home :)

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

Adiabatic posted:

Anyone play guitar?

I've been using a Yamaha FG800 for the past few months to try and learn some Flamenco and other Spanish riffs. Also been working on Nancy Wilson's intro to Crazy On You. It's rough with the narrow neck of a steel-string acoustic, and the steel strings sure buzz a bunch it's actually because I'm really bad

Anywho, I've been hitting up guitar shops in the area trying out some legit classical guitars recently. This morning I bought me a used Cordoba C7-CE on eBay. I'm so loving stoked :coolfish:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HT_n6ZyfluU&t=82s

Did you have a guitar related question or just want to chat?
The action on that Yamaha is terrible. Try getting something with a better action or you could try sanding down the bridge.
I recommend not really loving around with the truss rod unless you know exactly what you're doing. I tried to adjust the action on my first acoustic that way and the neck warped :(

Also, get yourself some better strings. I'm a big fan of Martin 80/20 light strings but you could try something like their extra light which is a .010 core.
https://www.martinguitar.com/strings/

GnarlyCharlie4u fucked around with this message at 18:48 on Aug 18, 2017

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.
Not politics: my 32GB flash drive does writes at 100MB/s, and I wish the drat thing was bigger than 32GB.

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HT_n6ZyfluU&t=82s

Did you have a guitar related question or just want to chat?
The action on that Yamaha is terrible. Try getting something with a better action or you could try sanding down the bridge.
Also, get yourself some better strings. I'm a big fan of Martin 80/20 light strings but you could try something like their extra light which is a .010 core.
https://www.martinguitar.com/strings/

Mostly just chatting. This is the first time I've actually played enough to start thinking about better setups.

I've noticed the strings sit super high around the 12th fret. It makes it difficult to play anything with consistency between 11-15 without every other note buzzing, but I chalked that up to me being a new player.

I know absolutely zero about strings, so I'll certainly try those out. I've just been buying the $6 ones.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

I haven't built a pc for like 19 years, where's a good guide on what I should be buying these days?

Lord Douchebag
Oct 22, 2010

Are you a man of peace
Or man of holy war?

cakesmith handyman posted:

I haven't built a pc for like 19 years, where's a good guide on what I should be buying these days?

Pc part picker is pretty much my go to. There's a lot of different pre done builds for every level of budget. Or if you want to do your own from scratch, it will tell you which parts are compatible. Makes it really simple, lays out prices from different retailers and everything.

slurry_curry
Nov 26, 2003
<3mini-moni+animu^_^

Went to Rancid and the Dropkick Murphys show the other night. Kinda sad I never got the chance to see them play in a smaller venue(this was at the WaMu Theater in Seattle), but it was still awesome. At the end of the show both bands came out and played a bunch of covers, including Johnny Cash, which was amazing. Its a good thing they were in a big venue, I don't think they all would have fit on a smaller stage. I think there were at least 5 people playing guitar at once.

I think they are getting close to wrapping up the tour, but its def worth seeing if you have the chance.

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

(Insert Mad Max related text)

slurry_curry posted:

Went to Rancid and the Dropkick Murphys show the other night. Kinda sad I never got the chance to see them play in a smaller venue(this was at the WaMu Theater in Seattle), but it was still awesome. At the end of the show both bands came out and played a bunch of covers, including Johnny Cash, which was amazing. Its a good thing they were in a big venue, I don't think they all would have fit on a smaller stage. I think there were at least 5 people playing guitar at once.

I think they are getting close to wrapping up the tour, but its def worth seeing if you have the chance.

This would have been amazing to see.

I have been putting a lot of time on Zelda: Breath of the Wild on the Switch. I am still pretty early on in the game but this has to be one of the best video games ever made. I am not a gamer and I have been up until like 1:00 or 2:00 in the morning many nights playing this game. The Switch is cool as hell and this game alone makes the purchase worth it. I am going to go buy Splatoon 2 based on the recommendation of my brother. Does anyone have any screen time with that?

Siochain
May 24, 2005

"can they get rid of any humans who are fans of shitheads like Kanye West, 50 Cent, or any other piece of crap "artist" who thinks they're all that?

And also get rid of anyone who has posted retarded shit on the internet."

SH/SC's PC building/upgrading megathread is pretty solid to - https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3774409

Set a budget, find a monitor setup you want, then build the PC to suit that. 100% get an SSD for your boot drive - 256 or 512 gb. If you need more storage, get a big spinning drive for that as a separate drive to hold media, etc.

Otherwise, yeah. It depends on what you want to spend. Are you gaming or just general usage? Let me know and I can throw some recommendations (credentials - built PC's for a living for a few years, still nerd out a ton)

Somewhat Heroic posted:

This would have been amazing to see.

I have been putting a lot of time on Zelda: Breath of the Wild on the Switch. I am still pretty early on in the game but this has to be one of the best video games ever made. I am not a gamer and I have been up until like 1:00 or 2:00 in the morning many nights playing this game. The Switch is cool as hell and this game alone makes the purchase worth it. I am going to go buy Splatoon 2 based on the recommendation of my brother. Does anyone have any screen time with that?

No, but I'm tempted. BoTW is goddamn amazing and...yeah. That game just keeps blowing me away. Its definitely got flaws, but the good is so overwhelmingly good that they don't really matter. First game in literally years I've put that much time into. Easily justifies the switch completely on its own.

meltie
Nov 9, 2003

Not a sodding fridge.

Adiabatic posted:

Anyone play guitar?

I've been using a Yamaha FG800 for the past few months to try and learn some Flamenco and other Spanish riffs. Also been working on Nancy Wilson's intro to Crazy On You. It's rough with the narrow neck of a steel-string acoustic, and the steel strings sure buzz a bunch it's actually because I'm really bad

Anywho, I've been hitting up guitar shops in the area trying out some legit classical guitars recently. This morning I bought me a used Cordoba C7-CE on eBay. I'm so loving stoked :coolfish:

Adiabatic posted:

I've noticed the strings sit super high around the 12th fret. It makes it difficult to play anything with consistency between 11-15 without every other note buzzing, but I chalked that up to me being a new player.

Yay guitarchat!

Used to play Spanish when I was a kid but I haven't played in like three decades.

My mate, a bass player, saw a Strat copy at goodwill/in a charity shop for £30 and bought it for me. It was rough; it had clearly never been set up in its life. The strings were about half an inch off the fretboard near the middle AND it was really buzzy too.

If you're handy you can set up the action yourself: http://www.fretnotguitarrepair.com/repair/acoustic-guitar/action.php

I think it took me about 5 hours over a few weeks of fiddling to truss the neck back into shape, shim the heel just the right amount, and reset the string height. It's lovely now, but to me this guitar will forever be named High Action :420:

meltie fucked around with this message at 21:11 on Aug 18, 2017

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

I cut an expensive carbon fiber bike frame in half today. :coal:

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

Adiabatic posted:

Mostly just chatting. This is the first time I've actually played enough to start thinking about better setups.

I know absolutely zero about strings, so I'll certainly try those out. I've just been buying the $6 ones.

If you press down harder does it stop buzzing?

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Siochain posted:

SH/SC's PC building/upgrading megathread is pretty solid to - https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3774409

Set a budget, find a monitor setup you want, then build the PC to suit that. 100% get an SSD for your boot drive - 256 or 512 gb. If you need more storage, get a big spinning drive for that as a separate drive to hold media, etc.

Otherwise, yeah. It depends on what you want to spend. Are you gaming or just general usage? Let me know and I can throw some recommendations (credentials - built PC's for a living for a few years, still nerd out a ton)

Thanks, things have changed immeasurably since I last had my hand in. I'm looking at a family pc I can do a little casual cad with, it would be nice to play KSP but nothing serious. I do need an optical drive for various reasons and keeping the tower as small as reasonably possible would be a benefit. I'm not a heavy power user by any means :v:
E: haven't thought about a budget yet, I'll do some research first.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
Buy a used Dell Precision T5500.

Max out with dual quad Xeons and 128GB of ECC DDR3 and a Nvidia GTX 970.

https://valid.x86.fr/f0w7hl

:pcgaming: I have problems :pcgaming:

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

I would not be averse to a used workstation but I really would like that small form factor. If I was a rich poser I'd have a 27" iMac but I need windows for dumb legacy reasons, and I'd prefer my money be spent on whiskey.

Speaking of which, jura origin is really quite nice for drinking with the cat.

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

As some goon with an R710 sitting on his dining room table, I'm seriously considering your T5500 downstairs mixup, CommieGIR.

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

If you press down harder does it stop buzzing?

After getting home and playing it, I'm guessing user error. It's generally when I press down away from the fret accidentally.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

This is so loving weird. Noticed this system was only reporting 4GB of RAM when it had 8 in it. Moved RAM around (they're all matching 2GB Corsair sticks), wound up with 2GB showing. Threw in a pair of 4GB sticks, and wait why are you saying I have 2GB when there's 8GB?

I got it to finally report 8GB... when I have 12GB actually installed. CPU-Z is saying all 4 sticks are 2GB, but two of them are 4GB. :cripes: With the four 2GB sticks, CPU-Z says they're all 1GB. I don't get it. Latest BIOS is on this thing.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Adiabatic posted:

As some goon with an R710 sitting on his dining room table, I'm seriously considering your T5500 downstairs mixup, CommieGIR.

There 3 of those in the basement, granted, only one is running. Its also maxxed out at dual Quad 2.4 Ghz Xeons and 288 GB ECC DDR3.

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008

Yu-Gi-Ho! posted:

This is so loving weird. Noticed this system was only reporting 4GB of RAM when it had 8 in it. Moved RAM around (they're all matching 2GB Corsair sticks), wound up with 2GB showing. Threw in a pair of 4GB sticks, and wait why are you saying I have 2GB when there's 8GB?

I got it to finally report 8GB... when I have 12GB actually installed. CPU-Z is saying all 4 sticks are 2GB, but two of them are 4GB. :cripes: With the four 2GB sticks, CPU-Z says they're all 1GB. I don't get it. Latest BIOS is on this thing.

I think you said you were using a first generation i7. Didn't they have triple channel RAM?

Regardless. happy birthday!

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Stalker just showed up at my mother's house. It's hilarious how little the police care.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

mariooncrack posted:

I think you said you were using a first generation i7. Didn't they have triple channel RAM?

It's a first gen i5 750 on a P55 based board, but has 4 DIMM slots. Motherboard manual says it's dual channel. :confused: The system that caught Thor's attention yesterday was a second gen i5 (2500k) on a Z68 board. I bought the board and cpu a couple of years ago from the spyder, used it for awhile as a HTPC, then it got shelved until yesterday. I don't remember it having any issues with RAM before. :iiam:

And thanks (except to rhyno for outing my birthday, you jerk :v:)

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 23:03 on Aug 18, 2017

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Adiabatic posted:

:siren: :siren: :siren:

With the vitriol on both sides, I'm banning political chat in AI. This is an automotive subforum of a comedy forum. If you want to talk politics, go to D&D.

Yes, especially in the chat thread.
Well, thank gently caress for that.

Speaking of which, jura origin is really quite nice for drinking with the cat.
I find Jura's stuff pretty good all round, really, though I'm currently on JW Double Black.

Rhyno posted:

Stalker just showed up at my mother's house. It's hilarious how little the police care.
Did you call it in, or her?

Man, what I day today. Went to collect a set of wheels, and the traffic was loving horrible. Even taking out my rest stop halfway, over 4hrs to do 100 loving miles. Then I get there, and it takes me ages to find where the guy is, because he's in a private set of office buildings on the back of the street address, and the gate buzzer isn't working right, plus I can't get through to his phone, and nor does it go to voicemail.

Did eventually get in and find his building/get in, ask for him, and it turns out that (1) he accidentally drowned his phone this morning, which is why I can't get him, and (2) he's been dozy and not brought the wheels to work with him like he said, and they're still in his lockup 15 miles away. So an hour's round trip to go and get them added onto the journey, but at least the journey home was ok.

Incidentally, did the run to his workshop in his FD RX7 (manual twin turbo, Japanese import). Felt not bad from the passenger seat, though I'd peg it at less than the ~280bhp I thought they had. More the low two hundreds? Though he didn't really give it full throttle more than a couple of times.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Ugh, my mom's computer is "not turning on", from her description it sounds like it won't POST but I won't know for sure til I get over there tomorrow. Push comes to shove, I still have my old tower (which is an identical build to hers), so anything from swapping parts to just swapping her hard drive(s) over should be on the table.

Still, I could have done without the panic for the 5 minutes between getting the vague "call me" message and figuring out it was just a computer issue and not, y'know, something going on with my sister. Also explaining for the Nth time that dead computer != losing data.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

Rhyno posted:

Did your mother call it in?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

InitialDave posted:

Did you call it in, or her?
?

She did, then she called me. The police need a statement from me but won't be doing anything. They don't care at all. I don't know what to do from this point. We have a picture of her, my while family knows what she looks like which is why mom knew what was up. My sister and her boyfriend live with Mom, had he been home the stalker would probably have been shot dead.

monsterzero
May 12, 2002
-=TOPGUN=-
Boys who love airplanes :respek: Boys who love boys
Lipstick Apathy

CommieGIR posted:

There 3 of those in the basement, granted, only one is running. Its also maxxed out at dual Quad 2.4 Ghz Xeons and 288 GB ECC DDR3.

I always get the urge to build something like that so I can have The Butt in my bedroom. But then I remind myself that a Raspberry Pi LAMP stack could run all my perennially (unstarted unfunded) projects for years.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

monsterzero posted:

I always get the urge to build something like that so I can have The Butt in my bedroom. But then I remind myself that a Raspberry Pi LAMP stack could run all my perennially (unstarted unfunded) projects for years.

Its both our NAS, Plex Server, and VM host for client projects, and I picked them up for $100, so it was worthwhile.

Do love a good Raspberry Pi though.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

Rhyno posted:

P sure you need to gain the weight back.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Rhyno posted:

had he been home the stalker would probably have been shot dead.
Is this legal in your locale? Serious question, I have no idea what level of threat is grounds for lethal response, other than it varying by state.

Sorry to hear you're not getting any joy with this (still). Are the police just like this in general with stalking?

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

CommieGIR posted:

Buy a used Dell Precision T5500.

Max out with dual quad Xeons and 128GB of ECC DDR3 and a Nvidia GTX 970.

https://valid.x86.fr/f0w7hl

:pcgaming: I have problems :pcgaming:

Seconding this.

I have literally the same thing, but with a lovely perc5i raid card and 4 10k rpm sas drives.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

InitialDave posted:

Is this legal in your locale? Serious question, I have no idea what level of threat is grounds for lethal response, other than it varying by state.

Sorry to hear you're not getting any joy with this (still). Are the police just like this in general with stalking?

I know a guy who shot his wife's ex dead when he showed up.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Since we're kinda on computer chat, what's the best mouse to get these days? I need one that is virtually silent because I don't know why, but the clicking is driving me insane.

Gingerbread House Music
Dec 1, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

Applebees Appetizer posted:

Since we're kinda on computer chat, what's the best mouse to get these days? I need one that is virtually silent because I don't know why, but the clicking is driving me insane.

Get whatever fits, then put o rings on the switches.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

Seconding this.

I have literally the same thing, but with a lovely perc5i raid card and 4 10k rpm sas drives.

I just upgraded our MD1000 Storage Array to a Perc 6/e so I could get that sweet, sweet RAID-60

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Rhyno posted:

I know a guy who shot his wife's ex dead when he showed up.
I supect that the specifics matter quite a lot.

• Locked thread