Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Good brakes.

You can see a little while later as he's talking about the harness bar behind the seat, the line of debris where the log originated from. The idiot in the Explorer had been dragging it for a solid mile when he was spotted.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

(Insert Mad Max related text)

Matt Farah is a cool dude to follow. It took me a little while to catch on. His podcast is interesting and nice to fill in between Adam Carollas carscast.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I like Matt a lot, he's pretty genuine and I love when he has an owner in the car that's up their own rear end over their car so he starts shredding it.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

Stop it, I can only get so much erect

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gsSYpwmVWFU

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

He drove it conservative as hell, and I don't blame him in the slightest. Imagine being the guy that put that thing into the wall.

Was that a TOMS 84C at the 1:11 mark rounding him up at Andretti?

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

We're fucking built for this shit!

Memento posted:

Good brakes.

You can see a little while later as he's talking about the harness bar behind the seat, the line of debris where the log originated from. The idiot in the Explorer had been dragging it for a solid mile when he was spotted.

I swear, he sees the same Explorer dragging another huge log when he drives the Focus RS and that time he calls the cops. I can't have just imagined that, can I?

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

Rhyno posted:

I like Matt a lot, he's pretty genuine and I love when he has an owner in the car that's up their own rear end over their car so he starts shredding it.

Which cars are those? I remember him being "really?" to the guy who modded his Prius.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

kimbo305 posted:

Which cars are those? I remember him being "really?" to the guy who modded his Prius.

Lol, that's one of them. There was an SVT Contour (i think) and Matt just trashed the car when the guy started making some unreasonable claims.

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...

Memento posted:

He drove it conservative as hell, and I don't blame him in the slightest. Imagine being the guy that put that thing into the wall.

Was that a TOMS 84C at the 1:11 mark rounding him up at Andretti?

Seriously, what was he hitting for revs, 7k? 8? Bah.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jTaJwQ7sq6c

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

We're seriously going to have to do a safety check on the RADL members soon. Erections lasting that long isn't healthy.

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

RAAAAARGH!!!! GIFT CARDS ARE FUCKING RETARDED!!!!

(I need a hug)

Boaz MacPhereson posted:

Seriously, what was he hitting for revs, 7k? 8? Bah.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jTaJwQ7sq6c

The only respect I have for Herbert (especially as bbc/sky commentator) is him in the 787b and le mans. Every time he goes blah blah blah in f1 commentary I think "you're OK".

Fo3 fucked around with this message at 14:54 on Aug 18, 2017

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

iospace posted:

We're seriously going to have to do a safety check on the RADL members soon. Erections lasting that long isn't healthy.

I'm OK with being turgid this long, let me live vicariously for a while.

mekilljoydammit
Jan 28, 2016

Me have motors that scream to 10,000rpm. Me have more cars than Pick and Pull

I'm of two minds. On the one hand, loving awesome (I saw that car at Road America once too) but on the other hand, I just hate helmetcams.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

mekilljoydammit posted:

I'm of two minds. On the one hand, loving awesome (I saw that car at Road America once too) but on the other hand, I just hate helmetcams.

Maybe this will help you reconsider:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d5XOLvedxBg

If it doesn't, then: :frogout:

geonetix
Mar 6, 2011

iospace posted:

snip

I want to see Nando drive those road courses.. Oh man

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

geonetix posted:

I want to see Nando drive those road courses.. Oh man

The fun thing is, and this is coming from Gutierrez, is that all the US road courses are different in curbing, so they all give different challenges on the apex.

And yes, Nando at RA would own bones.

mekilljoydammit
Jan 28, 2016

Me have motors that scream to 10,000rpm. Me have more cars than Pick and Pull

iospace posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d5XOLvedxBg

Kinda but also not really? I love the perspective, but things going jiggly (like all drat helmet cams do) without corresponding input to my inner ear screws with me and I have to stop watching after 30 seconds or so.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

mekilljoydammit posted:

Kinda but also not really? I love the perspective, but things going jiggly (like all drat helmet cams do) without corresponding input to my inner ear screws with me and I have to stop watching after 30 seconds or so.

Alright, that's a fair enough reason then.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

An even wider wide-body Starquest.
:fap:

KakerMix posted:

haha I don't watch this dude or the channel regularly so maybe I shouldn't find it hilarious but to have this dude just open up with a 'WATCH GANG IS GREAT' thing took me by surprised and I laughed out loud by how direct-shill it was.

Meh - if it let's him make the videos, I can fast-forward through it.

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

I've briefly talked to Matt Farrah and he's a nice guy who's pretty open about having to do those commercials to have an income.

Anyways here's a new racecar I think looks neat even though it's just a fancy lmp2 car:

http://www.roadandtrack.com/motorsports/a12031372/acura-arx-05-dpi/

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

KakerMix posted:

haha I don't watch this dude or the channel regularly so maybe I shouldn't find it hilarious but to have this dude just open up with a 'WATCH GANG IS GREAT' thing took me by surprised and I laughed out loud by how direct-shill it was.

this is so tame if you've never listened to any podcasts which have the worst commercials ever

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Matt also plugged some bizarre cream for you balls to make them smooth or smell nice or some poo poo, which was quite a bit worse than watches. But yeah somehow podcast ads are ten times more infuriating than even this. I get that they need money and honestly wouldn't have a problem if they just said "gently caress you eat Carl's Jr", but the ridiculous copy they all get that has them pretend to use and enjoy the product which is such transparent bullshit it's embarrassing. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rl5JDzvkEA0

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

net work error posted:

Anyways here's a new racecar I think looks neat even though it's just a fancy lmp2 car:

And Penske is behind it. It's going to kick rear end.

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.

BraveUlysses posted:

this is so tame if you've never listened to any podcasts which have the worst commercials ever

Just order a loot crate from squarespace, which is not a lawfirm, get your dudewipes to try on your Casper mattress for 90 days, and listen to a free audio book with audible

Horrible sponsorship, pandering bullsit, flagrant dishonesty, and obnoxious commercials in podcasts has inspired more than an hour of RLM shorts
https://youtu.be/sExTt4j69zI

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

net work error posted:

I've briefly talked to Matt Farrah and he's a nice guy who's pretty open about having to do those commercials to have an income.

Jesus, I love the graphic on this.

meltie
Nov 9, 2003

Not a sodding fridge.

The Door Frame posted:

Just order a loot crate from squarespace, which is not a lawfirm, get your dudewipes to try on your Casper mattress for 90 days, and listen to a free audio book with audible

Blue Apron iiiiss... a better way to cook.

I don't mind the ads, because NONE OF THEM apply to me. I don't live in the US so the ads have no meaning here.

I'd actually happily pay a few cents/pence per podcast to hear a version with the ads cut out, but neither the offical ios podcasting app nor Panoply's app do it.

Find your perfect fit today with Thirdlove.

meltie fucked around with this message at 22:58 on Aug 18, 2017

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
Sidenote: Renault's cruise control will not only cancel, but lose its memorised speed setting, if you get the car airborne.

Somewhat Heroic posted:

Matt Farah is a cool dude.
Yeah, I like him.

mobby_6kl posted:

I get that they need money and honestly wouldn't have a problem if they just said "gently caress you eat Carl's Jr", but the ridiculous copy they all get that has them pretend to use and enjoy the product which is such transparent bullshit it's embarrassing.
I'm with the

Darchangel posted:

Meh - if it let's him make the videos
camp.

Lots of the car guys on Youtube push some... interesting products aimed at guys. Boxers designed to keep your nuggets in a little pouch, for example. The whole watch thing I sort of get, I'll get myself a Speedmaster Professional at some point, because of the whole "In spaaaaaaaaace" provenance of them, and I like the design, but I do find most of the bollocks surrounding "premium" watches to be insufferable image-obsessed inanity more akin to flashing a supercar keyfob to try and impress people than geeking out over minor techy details.

meltie posted:

I don't mind the ads, because NONE OF THEM apply to me. I don't live in the US so the ads have no meaning here.

I'd actually happily pay a few cents/pence per podcast to hear a version with the ads cut out, but neither the offical ios podcasting app nor Panoply's app do it.
I suspect they can't do that contractually. The primary benefits of such placements for brands are getting their specific choice of who they're advertised with, and making them harder to skip past.

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
luv 2 get custom titles from a forum that goes into revolt when its told to stop using a bad word.
Farah is a good bloke, hung out with him at a DSC Sport test day last year.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

drgitlin posted:

Farah is a good bloke, hung out with him at a DSC Sport test day last year.
To be perfectly honest, I've always found the best approach with anyone who is the slightest bit a "celebrity" is to talk to them just as you would anyone else, have a brief chat about your shared interests or whatever. The cool ones appreciate it, and the "don't you know who I am" bellends can get the hump as much as they like, it's not going to do them any good. Youtube heros, TV/Film actors, authors, aristocracy, these big names are all just people. I've never encountered a decent one who didn't respond well to being treated as such, rather than enduring awkward "ermagerd I luv yooooo" clingy fan interactions or being buttonholed by weirdos.

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost
Yeah, I don't recall him ever really bashing anyone who's been kind enough to let him thrash their car, he might say 'Well ho ho ho, yes, that's not bad for a 1989 Taurus I guess, but this car is still pretty fun!" or whatever

He's probably one of the best reviewers currently IMHO, it doesn't hurt that he drives the canyon roads I'm pretty familiar with so that might make me more of a natural fan of it due to the familiarity, but now that Chris Harris is no longer doing his reviews, I think Farah is probably about tops for straight info and interesting driving/talent. Doesn't strike me at all as if he thinks he's a celebrity/youtube superstar or whatever, it's just fun to be recognized when you're a Q-list seminobody, so who can blame a person for enjoying that. Actual celebs like it best when you act like they're just people, and on the flip side there are few things that are better than snubbing some celeb who's looking around hoping someone notices them. (Gene Simmons)

And the whole "I totally use and love this product" lie to sell advertising has been sort of a deal with broadcasting since at least the advent of radio, listen to any classic radio drama and there'll be a Chesterfield cigarette commercial right in the middle of the story.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Powershift posted:

The real high end stuff has started to roll in for the Mecum Monterey auction.

V16 Cadillac:
https://www.mecum.com/lots/CA0817-300129/1930-cadillac-series-452-v-16-coupe/

I think this color combination is called "HOLY gently caress WHY IS IT SO ORANGE"
https://www.mecum.com/lots/CA0817-300009/1974-ford-pinto-squire-wagon/

I posted this orange pinto a while back.

It went for $25,000. After auction fees and taxes, somebody paid more than $28,000 for a pinto.

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin

meltie posted:

I use a podcast aggregator and I think the ads are changed dynamically based on location? Certainly when I was accessing the Economist podcast via a VPN in Germany I was getting ads in German, so you should be getting local ads if they are available.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

Powershift posted:

I posted this orange pinto a while back.

It went for $25,000. After auction fees and taxes, somebody paid more than $28,000 for a pinto.

Pinto is too infamous so naturally the most Pinto Pinto is going to be coveted. You aren't surprised, right?

meltie
Nov 9, 2003

Not a sodding fridge.

Throatwarbler posted:

I use a podcast aggregator and I think the ads are changed dynamically based on location? Certainly when I was accessing the Economist podcast via a VPN in Germany I was getting ads in German, so you should be getting local ads if they are available.

I guess it depends on the podcast too; in all of the ones I listen to the hosts read them out (Pod Save America for example)

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
The Pod Save America guys don't give a poo poo at all about genuinely reading ad copy. It's great. The My Favorite Murder girls don't either.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

So, ran across this, of all things, on Pinterest:

Believe it or not, that's an S13 with a 1JZ.

http://www.superstreetonline.com/features/1701-speed-warhouse-91-nissan-240sx-the-deathkart/

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Looks as if the Roadkill Corvette-Kart got a mad max treatment.

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
It's remarkably, uh, clean looking

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

That would be cool if it wasn't for the gun. That poo poo just looks dumb.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

Olympic Mathlete posted:

That would be cool if it wasn't for the gun. That poo poo just looks dumb.

:yeah: