Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What regions belong in the Pacific Northwest?
Alaska, US
British Columbia, CA
Washington, US
Oregon, US
Idaho, US
Montana, US
Wyoming, US
California, US (MODS PLEASE BAN ANYONE VOTING FOR THIS OPTION TIA)
View Results

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

Mr. Lobe posted:

I came down to Portland today for the eclipse tomorrow and I saw this in the bathroom of a Fred Meyer:

Department: Government
Company: USA
nathan honestfreespeechnolies@yahoo.com

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:

coyo7e posted:

I hope you're trolling, because you already hosed up badly. Hwy 101 is about the slowest and worst road in the country, at the best of times. During heavy tourist season AND during a once in a generation tourist glut, you'll be lucky to make 10 or 20 miles in an hour.

I have friends out at 10 Mile Lake near Florence right now, and they're already worrying about how they'll get ice in 2 days.

After all the news dramatics about the building traffic disaster, the 101 from Reedsport to Lincoln City was empty enough to go bowling on. Other than a higher than normal amount of slow rear end drivers rocking Washington plates, it was smooth sailing the whole way.

El Jebus
Jun 18, 2008

This avatar is paid for by "Avatars for improving Lowtax's spine by any means that doesn't result in him becoming brain dead by putting his brain into a cyborg body and/or putting him in a exosuit due to fears of the suit being hacked and crushing him during a cyberpunk future timeline" Foundation

Are nolies the new donut craze?

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things

Mr. Lobe posted:

I came down to Portland today for the eclipse tomorrow and I saw this in the bathroom of a Fred Meyer:

Department: Government
Company: USA

This is the kind of thing my MIL makes when she is super manic. She spent like 600$ at kinkos a few years ago on crazy religious babble handouts.

Asimov
Feb 15, 2016

I just read my soap label if I'm in the mood for a morning dose of incomprehensible preach-speak. After all it's like they say -- Cleopatra's Art of Love, evolved Egypt's Civilization 10,000 years back, based on the God-Inspired "ABC of Mama Cat: Automatically, instinctively, each Mama Cat teaches her young ones from the moment of Birth: 1st: Absolute cleanliness is Godliness! 2nd: Constructive-selfish, build, protect and raise food, home, young! 3rd: Absolute teamwork fertilizes God's Earth!

SeaborneClink
Aug 27, 2010

MAWP... MAWP!
You soap with Dr. Bronner's Pepermint too? :iceburn:

SyHopeful
Jun 24, 2007
May an IDF soldier mistakenly gun down my own parents and face no repercussions i'd totally be cool with it cuz accidents are unavoidable in a low-intensity conflict, man

SeaborneClink posted:

You soap with Dr. Bronner's Pepermint too? :iceburn:

Who hasn't gotten a bit of that in their urethra?!

The Unlife Aquatic
Jun 17, 2009

Here in my car
I feel safest of all
I can lock all my doors
It's the only way to live
In cars
Dr. Bronner's is the only soap that matters.

Reene
Aug 26, 2005

:justpost:

:same:

I use scent-free though. I'm boring.

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
peppermint makes yer balls tingle its the best

Asimov
Feb 15, 2016

It sure loving does, but it is also like a sensitivity test to help identify your most precious mucus membranes (and avoid soaping them with abrasive peppermint).

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
Seattle cops, biggest bunch of :qq: ever: http://www.seattletimes.com/seattle-news/crime/kshama-sawant-sued-for-defamation-by-2-seattle-officers-who-fatally-shot-che-taylor/

ElCondemn
Aug 7, 2005

In their own account they ordered him to get on the ground and then they shot him when he followed their orders, all because they said they thought he had a holster on his hip. Again cops get away with murder because they don't have to prove anything other than they were afraid of being killed by the guy on the ground who they were pointing guns at.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum
Weird that cops would specifically make the claim that they don't want "public money".

Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011
at least the seattle times didnt pussyfoot around the fact that they shot and killed the guy

twodot
Aug 7, 2005

You are objectively correct that this person is dumb and has said dumb things

anthonypants posted:

Weird that cops would specifically make the claim that they don't want "public money".
Eh, suing city governments creates a weird effect where the people responsible for the action don't necessarily care about the city budget at all, so suits against a city can just be a tax on its citizens with no real deterrent force to change anything. Ideally city officials would care about city budgets, and city voters would hold politicians responsible for the actions of their officials, but the effect gets attenuated even in the best case.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

twodot posted:

Eh, suing city governments creates a weird effect where the people responsible for the action don't necessarily care about the city budget at all, so suits against a city can just be a tax on its citizens with no real deterrent force to change anything. Ideally city officials would care about city budgets, and city voters would hold politicians responsible for the actions of their officials, but the effect gets attenuated even in the best case.
Or maybe what I meant was that that cops don't see themselves as civil servants or public employees.

twodot
Aug 7, 2005

anthonypants posted:

Or maybe what I meant was that that cops don't see themselves as civil servants or public employees.
I mean that could be what you meant, but it would be very dumb to say that since as public employees they take money from the public (ostensibly) to provide a service to the public (that is the public is getting their money worth). Taking money from the public because a politician said a mean thing to you can't really be viewed as an equivalent exchange from any angle (that is the public is getting literally nothing in exchange).

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

twodot posted:

I mean that could be what you meant, but it would be very dumb to say that since as public employees they take money from the public (ostensibly) to provide a service to the public (that is the public is getting their money worth). Taking money from the public because a politician said a mean thing to you can't really be viewed as an equivalent exchange from any angle (that is the public is getting literally nothing in exchange).
I don't know if you looked at the article so I'll paste the fourth paragraph here for you:

quote:

The highly unusual suit does not name the city of Seattle or the Seattle City Council as defendants, pointedly stating that Officers Scott Miller and Michael Spaulding “do not want one red cent of public money.”

twodot
Aug 7, 2005

anthonypants posted:

I don't know if you looked at the article so I'll paste the fourth paragraph here for you:
If I file a lawsuit against you, and in my lawsuit I say "I do not want money from Sam's Cake Shop", this is not a general declaration that I'm opposed to receiving money from Sam's Cake Shop. This is not a statement about whether Sam's Cake Shop is right now, this very instant, giving me money, at my request, as I file the lawsuit. Just that I specifically aren't seeking money from Sam's Cake Shop in this lawsuit (because I am suing you and not Sam's Cake Shop).

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

twodot posted:

If I file a lawsuit against you, and in my lawsuit I say "I do not want money from Sam's Cake Shop", this is not a general declaration that I'm opposed to receiving money from Sam's Cake Shop. This is not a statement about whether Sam's Cake Shop is right now, this very instant, giving me money, at my request, as I file the lawsuit. Just that I specifically aren't seeking money from Sam's Cake Shop in this lawsuit (because I am suing you and not Sam's Cake Shop).
Maybe you're just not familiar with this very real and very popular form of cognitive dissonance among conservative dipshits?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yTwpBLzxe4U

CongoJack
Nov 5, 2009

Ask Why, Asshole
The cops don't want money from the city because they aren't mad at the city, this shouldn't be hard to understand.

The way the article makes it sound they probably aren't going to be able to win this anyway.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

ElCondemn posted:

In their own account they ordered him to get on the ground and then they shot him when he followed their orders, all because they said they thought he had a holster on his hip. Again cops get away with murder because they don't have to prove anything other than they were afraid of being killed by the guy on the ground who they were pointing guns at.

Washington state probably has the worst laws when it comes to cop killings. You have to prove the cop had "murderous intent" in order for him to be guilty. If there's anything that can be interpreted as a threat to the cop, they basically have a permission slip to kill them.

ElCondemn
Aug 7, 2005

seiferguy posted:

Washington state probably has the worst laws when it comes to cop killings. You have to prove the cop had "murderous intent" in order for him to be guilty. If there's anything that can be interpreted as a threat to the cop, they basically have a permission slip to kill them.

Well, he was black and he was crouching after they told him to get on the ground... so obviously he's a threat...

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

twodot posted:

If one were to take your logic at face value, that would mean that the lawsuit is entirely intended to be punitive rather than seek justice, and to dissuade others from speaking out against police officers in other and later similar cases.

aka the union is doing this after seeing what Peter Thiel got away with

twodot
Aug 7, 2005

coyo7e posted:

If one were to take your logic at face value, that would mean that the lawsuit is entirely intended to be punitive rather than seek justice, and to dissuade others from speaking out against police officers in other and later similar cases.

aka the union is doing this after seeing what Peter Thiel got away with
I don't think we need to get too deep into it here, but I would wager the plaintiffs in this suit think that punitive measures and deterrence are primary factors of justice.

FRINGE
May 23, 2003
title stolen for lf posting

twodot posted:

punitive measures and deterrence are primary factors of justice
Sounds like a cop. Sever.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

twodot posted:

twodot posted:

I don't think we need to get too deep into it here

twodot posted:

but I would

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

Strange, nothing about dams in this post.

tumblr hype man
Jul 29, 2008

nice meltdown
Slippery Tilde
gently caress you officer Whitlatch.
https://www.google.com/amp/amp.kiro7.com/news/local/spd-officer-fired-by-department-to-get-back-pay-and-termination-reversed/600291201

quote:

A Seattle police officer fired for the wrongful arrest of a then-69 year old African American man with a golf club on Capitol Hill has settled with the city to get years of back pay, and to have her termination record changed to a retirement.

The back pay is more than $105,000 in two lump payments -- and all sustained findings by the Office of Professional Accountability about Whitlatch’s conduct will remain in place.

The agreement, signed Saturday by Police Chief Kathleen O’Toole, also is expected to give Whitlatch her full pension for 18 years as an officer.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
The first pensions we should defund are cop pensions.

Oscar Wild
Apr 11, 2006

It's good to be a G

HEY NONG MAN posted:

If we do this we will no longer get the best and brightest into law enforcement.

DevNull
Apr 4, 2007

And sometimes is seen a strange spot in the sky
A human being that was given to fly

HEY NONG MAN posted:

I am sure that this will be a priority for the cop we are about to elect as mayor.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer
Remember, Kathleen O'Toole is a real reformer!

And we definitely shouldn't make the contract negotiations between the city and the police union public, nope. That would only hurt us... somehow.

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time
http://www.oregonlive.com/education/index.ssf/2017/08/benefit_of_the_doubt.html

ElCondemn
Aug 7, 2005

Thanatosian posted:

Remember, Kathleen O'Toole is a real reformer!

And we definitely shouldn't make the contract negotiations between the city and the police union public, nope. That would only hurt us... somehow.

As we all know secret deals are how you ensure accountability.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
This article about Pam Roach is something else:

http://www.seattletimes.com/seattle-news/pam-roachs-rude-and-unprofessional-behavior-triggers-ban-on-staff-contact-again/

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot
So I only heard about this because it got mentioned on the Seattle Kitchen podcast, but it seems pretty cool to me.

https://www.strawlessocean.org/seattle/

quote:

Leading Seattle businesses and cultural icons have committed to incorporating marine degradable alternatives to single-use plastic straws resulting in the radical reduction of plastic straw consumption in Seattle.  

The first campaign of its kind, Strawless In Seattle will support Strawless Ocean's global initiative to remove 500 million plastic straws from the U.S. waste stream in 2017.

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:
If they're replacing them with non-lovely straws made from other materials: cool

If they're just getting places to stop having straws: gently caress them

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot
Is there a :hottake: smiley yet?