Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

literally garbage

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Celexi
Nov 25, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 7 hours!

quote:

MUST READ FOR XPERIA USERS! If the Twitter app still doesn't work then backup your phone and perform the software repair by connecting your phone to your PC with the usb cable. After that restore the backup from your PC or SD card and your good to go! Btw don't turn off or restart your phone after you reinstall Twitter or else the Twitter app won't work again!

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
common app framework used to install malware/spyware and exfiltrate user data, 500 more apps pulled from play store

you know with one of these stories landing every week now i'm almost beginning to think the google app model is bad

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

Lmao what

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

The apps contained a software development kit called Igexin, which makes it easier for apps to connect to ad networks and deliver ads that are targeted to the specific interests of end users

Of loving course

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

Uh isn't that the point of android

what's the problem here, google weren't getting their cut?

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Progressive JPEG posted:

Uh isn't that the point of android

what's the problem here, google weren't getting their cut?

i mean, you've been reading this thread you may have noticed google's decisions aren't really based on objective reality

at least not one that we can figure out

they're ad servers first and foremost, no longer running under the aegis of "don't be evil" and the programs they kill make no sense excepting that it's not making them money or a project lead pissed someone off and it's just corporate politics

ask some yosgooglers i guess

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

CLAM DOWN posted:

Enter the beta, download and install O, leave the beta. It's very straightforward. I got the update literally 10 seconds after enrolling in the beta.
this is definitely easier than buying a phone taht has its updates available ota on the official launch day

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

Endless Mike posted:

this is definitely easier than buying a phone taht has its updates available ota on the official launch day

its easier in that it soothes the severely autistic mind better

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Rickets posted:

I feel like the majority of the complaints in this thread are hardware/software issues from the so-called major brands and questions wondering when X phone will be supported by Y manufacturer (or, heaven forbid, the carrier).

My suggestion is people get themselves a less unique phone that uses more commonly supported components and is well loved by the modding community.

For example, the Galaxy S3 only received official updates to what, 4.4.4? Over on XDA you can find weekly 7.1.2 LineageOS builds..and it's still supported as an "official" LineageOS device so you can expect the updates to continue.

Unless, y'know, you like letting the carrier or manufacturer tell you when you get to use what software, and how.

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

back when cyanogen was still a thing, i used it on my nexus 4 for a while. google had stopped putting out updates for that phone and cyanogen let me keep it limping along for one or two more major OS versions. it worked well, but i probably spent 10 or more hours getting everything set up, and a couple of apps wouldn't run. the apps would say "your device is rooted we don't allow this" even though i didn't have root mode enabled, but whatever, i think the only apps that said stuff like that were games that had online components or IAPs

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

Rickets posted:

You guys seem like the kinda guys to take your computer to Geek Squad

:smug:

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
dumb ideas, implemented poorly or how i learned to tango

i need freedom!

the freedom to have an inconsistently functional device, maintained by the finest minds on xda forums, xXXweedGoku420xXx and some chinese malware authors

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

Hey now, the guy who made the rom for my tablet was a furry not Chinese :colbert:

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

lol the anroid iyg thread is too much fun

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

i take my computer to the apple store, op

eric
Apr 27, 2004
Lipstick Apathy

Asymmetric POSTer posted:

lol the anroid iyg thread is too much fun

iyg was created because goons were getting mad when people would suggest buying an iPhone

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

eric posted:

iyg was created because goons were getting mad when people would suggest buying an iPhone

lmao

heated game moment
Oct 30, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

the number of dypers freaking out about verizon throttling video quality is incredible. i get the idea that the principle of the thing is bad, but they are making it sound like their life is over. do people really spend so much time streaming video over mobile data that this is a major negative in their lives?

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

dig deep in your heart
for you know these people use as much lte data as most people use their cable lines

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

Endless Mike posted:

the number of dypers freaking out about verizon throttling video quality is incredible. i get the idea that the principle of the thing is bad, but they are making it sound like their life is over. do people really spend so much time streaming video over mobile data that this is a major negative in their lives?

it's purely autism

i have a friend who played convoluted upgrade games on his family plan for years to keep a grandfathered unlimited plan and he probably spends 95% of his life in range of a wifi router

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Endless Mike posted:

im sure theyre trying to use mobile data in lieu of home internet and are using it for not only all of their internet but all of their television viewing as well

if you tried to replace your car with a pogo stick because youre poor af and the pogo stick company tells you theyre going to start limiting your bounce height youd be pissed too

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no

Endless Mike posted:

the number of dypers freaking out about verizon throttling video quality is incredible.
Lol, it’s like four guys, and one of them is bullnumbers who seems to get outraged at the drop of a hat.

Joe 30330
Dec 20, 2007

"We have this notion that if you're poor, you cannot do it. Poor kids are just as bright and just as talented as white kids."

As the audience reluctantly began to applaud during the silence, Biden tried to fix his remarks.

"Wealthy kids, black kids, Asian kids -- no, I really mean it." Biden said.

Lomarf

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

WithoutTheFezOn posted:

Lol, it’s like four guys, and one of them is bullnumbers who seems to get outraged at the drop of a hat.

that guy minmaxes literally everything in his life

he rage quit his cell phone provider lol

30 TO 50 FERAL HOG
Mar 2, 2005

coke posted:

I saw you actually returned it but going back a few pages and for anyone who might encounter this again and for people who likes and can tinker with things to get things done:

You can try using metal files to work the edge down to desired depth.

Something like this would work.
https://www.harborfreight.com/hand-tools/files/8-inch-half-round-file-96629.html

Then carefully sand it with various grit sandpaper, start with 300 then ends with 1200 grit and possibly finishing it up wet sanding it.

https://www.harborfreight.com/9-in-x-11-in-wetdry-sanding-sheets-assortment-10-pc-60297.html

For wet sanding, be careful to prep it properly so you don't get it wet. You can either take it apart first or tape it up properly.

Total cost, less than 10 bucks :awesomelon:

It will also give you a unique look with the bare metal part too, just cover it with industrial strength sharpie if you want to make it darker. You can also vary the layers of sharpie to get different hue.

sleepwalkers
Dec 7, 2008

look at this chucklefuck promoting harbor freight junk
also its alarming how far someone has to go in that thread for me to finally go "okay thats definitely a fakepost"

My Linux Rig
Mar 27, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!

rofl yeah lemme sand this phone down real quick...

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

There's a new android version guys!

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
are you ready for a samsung galaxy note event motherfuckers?

because you're getting one! today!!

how big will the screen be?
what stupid gimmick will they add only to abandon next year??
bixby???

get hype!!!

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

sleepwalkers posted:

look at this chucklefuck promoting harbor freight junk
also its alarming how far someone has to go in that thread for me to finally go "okay thats definitely a fakepost"

if you're sanding down unfinished edges on your discount trashphone then harbour freight is both fitting, in a way, and the only tools that fit your budget

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

The Management posted:

bixby???

get hype!!!

comes with a free bucket of sand and one of those bags they keep on airliners to contain lithium ion battery fires

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

on one hand that's a higher percentage of phones running a supported OS than i would have imagined

on the other hand, what does supported actually mean in the android world. 'acknowledge it exists but nothing works'?

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

i think it means it gets security updates

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

I could see why you may think that, but supported status in this instance simply means you can download the factory image for it still

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

my suspicion seems warranted then.

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

Endless Mike posted:

i think it means it gets security updates

lol nooope

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Blue Train posted:

I could see why you may think that, but supported status in this instance simply means you can download the factory image for it still

in what sense is that "support"?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

The Management posted:

bixby???

get hype!!!