Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook

Mindblast posted:

On my first run through the game, I just finished the dlc master sword trial(holy gently caress that last floor of the last trial). Super stoked with my fancy max roid sword I decided to explore the world again! :buddy:

My first exploration choice? The island in the bottomright of the map.

:shepface:

AKA the best shrine

Really my only issue with it is that if you die during that challenge it sends you aaaaaaall the way back to where you glided over from. Which is the right choice from a "don't make the player get stuck here forever if they're not having fun with this challenge" standpoint, but is an annoying amount of uneventful travelling between attempts if you're determined to win.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dictator.
May 13, 2007

#Blessed

Mindblast posted:

My first exploration choice? The island in the bottomright of the map.

:shepface:

came across this on my first or second day of playing. I was woefully unprepared.

Loved every minute of it :rms:

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Linear Zoetrope posted:

AKA the best shrine

Really my only issue with it is that if you die during that challenge it sends you aaaaaaall the way back to where you glided over from. Which is the right choice from a "don't make the player get stuck here forever if they're not having fun with this challenge" standpoint, but is an annoying amount of uneventful travelling between attempts if you're determined to win.

Alternatively, learn from that the first time it happens and save off the coast. All the nearby rocks and even the shores of the island are valid, it doesn't trigger until you're all the way on dry land.

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Ursine Catastrophe posted:

Alternatively, learn from that the first time it happens and save off the coast. All the nearby rocks and even the shores of the island are valid, it doesn't trigger until you're all the way on dry land.

And then the second time go, "huh I wonder what happens if I drop this giant sword just before I trigger the Shrine."

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Huxley posted:

And then the second time go, "huh I wonder what happens if I drop this giant sword just before I trigger the Shrine."

You make the island trivially easy and lose the sword because your island inventory gets dropped the instant you set the last ball down

I hadn't found the durians in Faron yet and lost all of the ones I had gotten on the island :argh:

Mindblast
Jun 28, 2006

Moving at the speed of death.

Dictator. posted:

Loved every minute of it :rms:

Linear Zoetrope posted:

AKA the best shrine

:agreed:

Although having played through the entire master sword dlc trial means you're essentially inoculated to the shock of it occurring, and already have experience of how to deal with it. My point was more like you just finished a big trial where they essentially steal your pants and everything in it, and upon finally reclaiming it all the first thing you do causes the game to once again steal all your poo poo. :v:

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Ursine Catastrophe posted:

You make the island trivially easy and lose the sword because your island inventory gets dropped the instant you set the last ball down

I hadn't found the durians in Faron yet and lost all of the ones I had gotten on the island :argh:

Drop everything before putting the last ball down again.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

THIS BADGE OF SHAME IS WORTH 0.45 DOUBLE DRAGON ADVANCES

:dogout:
of SA-Mart forever
I finished the beginner trials (normal mode) last night after roughly 8-11 attempts, although I didn't buff for any of those. I tried the intermediate trials right afterwards and on my first try I made it to the last floor, but unfortunately was mowed down by the boss when he went into his "spam Guardian lasers" phase. I tried again with a level 3 30-minute defence buff and I died in one of the dark levels when I picked up a flaming barrel and it spontaneously exploded for no discernable reason.

I actually wanted to say that I prefer using a defence buff to an attack one for these trials. Not that an attack buff isn't good, but having lvl 3 defence reduces damage from 4 hearts a hit to 1/4 heart per, and that's a game changer if ever there was when you have minimal armour and resources. I used Defence-3 for the infamous floor 10 in the beginner trials and it really took the sting out of it.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Drop everything before putting the last ball down again.

Yeah no poo poo I know that now

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
I can't imagine why you'd want to cheese one of the coolest parts of the game.

Emalde
May 3, 2007

Just a cage of bones, there's nothing inside.
Make me do the torch run ONE MORE TIME you little fuckers, I swear

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

The Bloop posted:

I can't imagine why you'd want to cheese one of the coolest parts of the game.

Yeah I'd imagine eventide is boring if you cheese it.

Theta Zero
Dec 22, 2014

I've seen it.
Eventide is nerve wracking in master mode and I somewhat disliked it because it turned into Benny Hill simulator where I'm desperately running around the island grabbing the balls and dropping them into the shrines as a horde of angry blue and black bokoblins chase me.

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012

Theta Zero posted:

Eventide is nerve wracking in master mode and I somewhat disliked it because it turned into Benny Hill simulator where I'm desperately running around the island grabbing the balls and dropping them into the shrines as a horde of angry blue and black bokoblins chase me.

I was expecting a poo poo show, so I did not engage the island until :byodame:URBOSA'S FURY IS READY.:byodame: It proved to be a very effective strategy.

R. Guyovich
Dec 25, 1991

JustJeff88 posted:

I finished the beginner trials (normal mode) last night after roughly 8-11 attempts, although I didn't buff for any of those. I tried the intermediate trials right afterwards and on my first try I made it to the last floor, but unfortunately was mowed down by the boss when he went into his "spam Guardian lasers" phase. I tried again with a level 3 30-minute defence buff and I died in one of the dark levels when I picked up a flaming barrel and it spontaneously exploded for no discernable reason.

I actually wanted to say that I prefer using a defence buff to an attack one for these trials. Not that an attack buff isn't good, but having lvl 3 defence reduces damage from 4 hearts a hit to 1/4 heart per, and that's a game changer if ever there was when you have minimal armour and resources. I used Defence-3 for the infamous floor 10 in the beginner trials and it really took the sting out of it.

thats probably true in regular play but the attack-3 boost is a godsend in master mode

bef
Mar 2, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo

Theta Zero posted:

Also trying your absolute best not to get 1 shotted at any point in time

Now I just need that climbing shirt..oy vey

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

About to start playing again--wiiu--anything I missed? Updates etc? I'm about 75% through, stopped playing two weeks or so after it came out after binging. Just got the season pass--its only hard mode right now right? Has that even dropped yet? lol

Mindblast
Jun 28, 2006

Moving at the speed of death.

It literally tells you what you got in the game.

Dictator.
May 13, 2007

#Blessed

R. Guyovich posted:

thats probably true in regular play but the attack-3 boost is a godsend in master mode

yeah, being able to kill of taluses and moblins etc with 1 swing makes a difference

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer
Like OK I tried the highest level Trial of the Sword thing again after getting punked the first time and it's not really that hard- you just have to approach things in a specific way and pick up/use all the tools they give you.

I'm not really a fan of plunking down silver and black enemies that will loving decimate your rear end if they manage to hit you though. (I probably should have fed one or two of them an Ancient Arrow since I had like 4 left at the end). I didn't die all that far in the first time and it was from a black Moblin slapping the poo poo out of me with a big club

Every Lionel and flying Guardian (and a few of the Guardian turrets/immobilized Stalkers) got an Ancient Arrow to the dome and that last sequence of rooms felt pretty easy. Like easy but with the possibility for stuff to go completely sideways if the rooms weren't handled properly.

Do they reduce the amount of Ancient arrows they give you in Master Mode for the trials?

Elman
Oct 26, 2009

So my controllers work fine for aiming arrows and spells but I just got to the first motion control ball maze and the controls are way off. The game just has no way to know where the screen is relative to my controller, so every axis is off place (or inverted maybe? I honestly have no idea). I want to be able to tilt the controller in one direction and watch the maze tilt in that same direction on the screen, instead of fiddling with it trying to wrap my head around the controls.

Is there some way to calibrate them or is this normal? I've seen a lot of people complain about these puzzles so maybe it is.

bef
Mar 2, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo
it blows yeah, but realize the gyro is on the right joycon and proceed from there. also you can flip that whole board over and just try to roll it over because gently caress that maze when the camera angle sucks and the gyro is crap too

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Elman posted:

So my controllers work fine for aiming arrows and spells but I just got to the first motion control ball maze and the controls are way off. The game just has no way to know where the screen is relative to my controller, so every axis is off place (or inverted maybe? I honestly have no idea). I want to be able to tilt the controller in one direction and watch the maze tilt in that same direction on the screen, instead of fiddling with it trying to wrap my head around the controls.

Is there some way to calibrate them or is this normal? I've seen a lot of people complain about these puzzles so maybe it is.

I think backing out of the control pedestal, and then re-engaging it with your controller flat should put your controller and the maze on the same plane (roughly).

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012

Monkey Fracas posted:

Do they reduce the amount of Ancient arrows they give you in Master Mode for the trials?

No. Everything in chests remains the same, and there are actually more weapons lying around, especially in the upper trials.

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
I've found 420 korok seeds :420:

e: also I'm doing the last handful of shrines I hadn't found and one of them was a gyroscope puzzle and it only just now occurred to me to detach the joycons so I'm not contorting myself like an idiot to move the puzzle and still be able to see the screen :cripes:

Everything Burrito fucked around with this message at 00:53 on Aug 23, 2017

Sab0921
Aug 2, 2004

This for my justices slingin' thangs, rib breakin' kings / Truck, necklace, robe, gavel and things / For the solicitors seein' them dissents spin and grin / That robe with the lace trim that win.
This game is cool and fun - I have 3/4 beasts and 115 shrines - the last 5 are a pain in the rear end - I figure that I'll look those last ones up - I don't have the time to retrace my way through Hyrule to figure that out. I'm amazed by y'all who found them all on your own.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Sab0921 posted:

This game is cool and fun - I have 3/4 beasts and 115 shrines - the last 5 are a pain in the rear end - I figure that I'll look those last ones up - I don't have the time to retrace my way through Hyrule to figure that out. I'm amazed by y'all who found them all on your own.

I kinda cheated by using the map tracing feature from DLC pack 1 to look at areas I never went to.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

I finished my first run today. The ending really shows that the journey is 100% the reward. I'm continuing to play from my last save though as I still have a lot to find (map says I have 55.9 of 100%). How do I find out how many Taloses, Hynox and Lynels I've killed as a percentage? I'd like to nail them all to get those sweet, sweet medallions.

Dictator.
May 13, 2007

#Blessed

GATOS Y VATOS posted:

I finished my first run today. The ending really shows that the journey is 100% the reward. I'm continuing to play from my last save though as I still have a lot to find (map says I have 55.9 of 100%). How do I find out how many Taloses, Hynox and Lynels I've killed as a percentage? I'd like to nail them all to get those sweet, sweet medallions.

only talus and hinox count as completion i think, Kilton keeps track of how many you've done

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer
Just found the shrine quest thingy where the lady is in love with an Orb

Truly Nintendo has its finger on the pulse of culture :orb:

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

Shoulda called it the Nintendo Pulse

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

Dictator. posted:

only talus and hinox count as completion i think, Kilton keeps track of how many you've done

The giant sand worms too (don't remember their names)

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

GobiasIndustries posted:

The giant sand worms too (don't remember their names)

Molduga.

FartingBedpost
Aug 24, 2015

I love the Molduga fights. Makes me feel like Kevin Bacon.

Zopotantor
Feb 24, 2013

...und ist er drin dann lassen wir ihn niemals wieder raus...

Monkey Fracas posted:

Just found the shrine quest thingy where the lady is in love with an Orb

Did you find the lady obsessed with cooking inedible food? (The whole area is :barf:, she must have been at it for a long time.)

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Everything Burrito posted:

I've found 420 korok seeds :420:

e: also I'm doing the last handful of shrines I hadn't found and one of them was a gyroscope puzzle and it only just now occurred to me to detach the joycons so I'm not contorting myself like an idiot to move the puzzle and still be able to see the screen :cripes:

The game outright tells you to do this.

Beasteh
Feb 12, 2012

I'M QUESTIONING MY EXISTENCE AND THIS IDIOT JUST WANTS TO PEE OFF A WALL

got this game last week and i just got the master sword + completed the beginner trial

game fukken owns as heck

frodnonnag
Aug 13, 2007

FartingBedpost posted:

Im suprised there arent any snow-moldugas.

Dictator.
May 13, 2007

#Blessed

frodnonnag posted:

Im suprised there arent any snow-moldugas.

that would've been cool.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

I lost to you once, monster. I shall not lose again! Die now, that our future can live!

FartingBedpost posted:

You really ought to fight them with bomb arrows so you can be Burt Gummer.