Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

The Bloop posted:

Aren't incels by definition horny? Like isn't that the whole point?

also Klingons aren't having tons of wild sex apparently?

Also I wouldn't characterize the Ferengi as libertarians per se, despite being capitalists they have a very powerful centralized government, they're more mercantilist or crony capitalists.

Also take into account their treatment of women. Doesn't seem like that would lend itself to incel, at all.

Winifred Madgers fucked around with this message at 16:43 on Aug 23, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Guy using the word incel unironically is a huge idiot. What a surprise.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

I think Klingons are have sweaty angry sex with each other all the time.

Just not Worf.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Paradoxish posted:

I end up consuming like 10+ hours of podcasts a week since I mostly listen while I'm working. Even more than that on boring weeks where I can listen at like 1.5x or 2x and still focus on what I'm doing. Also like a poo poo ton of audio books.

I totally forgot that there are jobs where you can basically listen to the radio for your entire shift because I haven't worked one for so long. My current job does give me a little time driving around but like maybe 2 hours a day at most and usually not even that.

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
I can see a clearer, vision
I should start living today
Clapping Larry

When I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child: but when I became a man, I put away Picard as my TV dad and fully embraced the superiority of the Sisko

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
A guy in the Greatest Generation FB group showed his wife Sub Rosa and posted her reactions

quote:

Wife's reaction to "Sub Rosa". She has never seen it and has seen minimal Trek. She did not disappoint.

(Beverly's clothes move on their own)
"Wtf is that a sex ghost?"
"Omg it's a loving sex ghost."

"This is written by a man. Like a teenage boy who thinks all girl sleepovers end in a sexy pillow fight."

(Beverly reads the journal)
"Is she reading 50 shades of grandma?"

(Troi is cool with Bev bean flicking to journal)
"Isn't she the counselor?! Oh yea, you're hot on your grandma's journal, that's totally normal."

(Ronin speaks to Beverly for the first time)
"Ew... he's so breathy"
"Ugh..." <--- this quote happened ALOT

(The "merging" of Bev and Ronin)
"Wtf is happening is she having an orgasm right now?! Is he touching her?"
" "MERGING?!" OMG."
"Ew I can't watch this, I'm so uncomfortable. "

Ronin "I'm a spirit"
Wife: "A gently caress spirit"

(Ronin and Bev having a moment)
"Ew is he "ghost" sticking it in?"

Beverly "I'm exhausted"
Wife "from all the ghost sex?"
"That ghost dick was in your granny's old snatch..."

(When Quint was shocked to death)
Data- "he's dead"
Wife "he's dead?! He barely got shocked! Where's the realism? Oh wait... a ghost just hosed like 3 grandmas and a doctor"

Wife - laughs uncontrollably at "plasma discharge"

(Ronin holding Bev's face w/ one hand)
"Ew... is she going to blow him while he "one hands" her face?"

(Ronin disperses to green gas and into Bev)
"I wanted the green stuff to turn into a dick and just get in there."

" Wait...How are they going to keep the line of Howard women going? She had no daughters. Either he has ghost sperm or maybe he'll gently caress her son?"

(JL Pipes walks in on Bev in gma house)
"Oh poo poo! he just walked in on her cumming!"

(Data and Geordi exhumed granny) "drat.. granny still looking good"

(Ronin leaves nana's body)
"Poor nana had to die twice"

" Ugh.. he's so ugly. Look at those big boxy shoulders"

(Ronin tells Bev he loves her)
"Aw ghostie just wants a little love."

(Bev sets candle down)
"Blow the candle out don't set it down WTF?!"

(Bev describes biochemical composition that works for ghost boy to rape an entire family)
"He found me on tinder "she's a biochemical match! swipe right!"

I describe Sub Rosa in another podcasts terminology, Spookely Good-Bad. It's not good at all, but it is so bad it turns around to being entertaing. It's like The Room or Neil Breen universe.

vermin
Feb 28, 2017

Help, I've turned into a manifestation of mental disorders as viewed through an early 20th century lens sparked by the disparity between man and modern society and I can't get up
poo poo, I guess I gotta watch Sub Rosa now.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

twistedmentat posted:

"This is written by a man. Like a teenage boy who thinks all girl sleepovers end in a sexy pillow fight."

Don't they?

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
Brannon Braga wrote the script but Jeri Taylor and spec writer Jeanna F. Gallo were credited with the story.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

They do. All of them.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

Brannon Braga wrote the script but Jeri Taylor and spec writer Jeanna F. Gallo were credited with the story.

So was this before or after they'd decided Braga was gonna be lead writer on their new show?

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

Arglebargle III posted:

So was this before or after they'd decided Braga was gonna be lead writer on their new show?

Uh, a long way before. Braga didn't work on DS9 at all and his influence on Voyager wasn't that bad, in fact the Voyager episodes he wrote include some of the better ones. People hate him because Enterprise was a dog.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

skasion posted:

Uh, a long way before. Braga didn't work on DS9 at all and his influence on Voyager wasn't that bad, in fact the Voyager episodes he wrote include some of the better ones. People hate him because Enterprise was a dog.

It was his call to put Jeri Ryan in a catsuit, to go from the collaborative style of the TNG writers' room to basically pitting writers against one another, and to basically do TNG-lite. He was a pretty toxic influence on Voyager, and there's a reason everyone breathed a sigh of relief when he hosed off to develop Enterprise and put Kenneth Biller in charge.

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

DrNutt posted:

I totally forgot that there are jobs where you can basically listen to the radio for your entire shift because I haven't worked one for so long. My current job does give me a little time driving around but like maybe 2 hours a day at most and usually not even that.

I'm pretty much entirely remote, so podcasts/audiobooks are just about the only things that keep me sane. If it weren't for them I'd probably end up doing something really crazy, like keeping Star Trek episodes on loop for background noise.

galenanorth
May 19, 2016

Timby posted:

It was his call to put Jeri Ryan in a catsuit, to go from the collaborative style of the TNG writers' room to basically pitting writers against one another, and to basically do TNG-lite. He was a pretty toxic influence on Voyager, and there's a reason everyone breathed a sigh of relief when he hosed off to develop Enterprise and put Kenneth Biller in charge.

I asked myself "is he the guy responsible for Enterprise's weird decontamination chamber scenes"

http://old.post-gazette.com/lifestyle/20031008enterprise1008fnp2.asp

Bullbar
Apr 18, 2007

The Aristocrats!
So there's a new Star Trek RPG out at the moment (and it's pretty rad) and I'm going to be running a game of it for some friends. Most of them are largely unfamiliar with Star Trek though, beyond the broadest of cultural knowledge. Are there any sort of setting primers or resources I could use to get them up to speed on the tone and setting? I'm sure I could point at some episodes, but they're unlikely to watch them in the time frame before we start the game. This will be TNG era stuff, btw.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
I can't imagine playing a Trek RPG with no Trek knowledge. People certainly won't behave in the expected fashion. I suppose that might be interesting in itself in a way.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

Bullbar posted:

So there's a new Star Trek RPG out at the moment (and it's pretty rad) and I'm going to be running a game of it for some friends. Most of them are largely unfamiliar with Star Trek though, beyond the broadest of cultural knowledge. Are there any sort of setting primers or resources I could use to get them up to speed on the tone and setting? I'm sure I could point at some episodes, but they're unlikely to watch them in the time frame before we start the game. This will be TNG era stuff, btw.

https://youtu.be/HnDtvZXYHgE

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Bullbar posted:

Just have your first game session be a group screening of a couple episodes followed by character creation.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

Just have your first game session be a group screening of a couple episodes followed by character creation.

Maybe like, Best of Both Worlds and Lower Decks? Get a sense of both ends of the rank spectrum.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
I like cause and effect as a really good episode that's "normal" instead of being good because it breaks the mold

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Bullbar posted:

"The Federation is Space America. That's you. The Klingons act like Space Vikings but geopolitically they're Space Russia: they go back and forth between being friends and rivals. The Romulans are Space China but without all the trade. The Vulcans are Space Taiwan: they're just like the Romulans, who want to annex their planet, but that doesn't happen because the Vulcans are on your side (in fact they're part of the Federation) and you'd defend them in a war. You're on a spaceship in the Federation's navy, which is called Starfleet, and you do both the wide-eyed exploration of the cosmos, and also the warship thing, depending on the circumstances. When you're out exploring, there's a rule called the Prime Directive that says not to gently caress around with any primitive aliens you find that haven't worked out space flight on their own yet. Anyway, your mission right now is to go boldly into that unexplored star cluster and see what the gently caress. Enjoy."

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Klingons are Space Japan, dammit :colbert:

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Suggestion:

RED SQUAD RED SQUAD RED SQUAD RED SQUAD

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

The Bloop posted:

Suggestion:

RED SQUAD RED SQUAD RED SQUAD RED SQUAD

But which one? The one where they get their wingman killed and lie about it, the one where they help a corrupt admiral take down the government, or the one where they're all idiots and get themselves blown up?

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

One of those was Nova Squadron

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Big Mean Jerk posted:

But which one? The one where they get their wingman killed and lie about it, the one where they help a corrupt admiral take down the government, or the one where they're all idiots and get themselves blown up?

behind enemy lines in an overpowered ship with too few skills to realistically complete the mission - sounds like a group of Player Characters to me!

Bullbar
Apr 18, 2007

The Aristocrats!
Update: most of them are going to watch Measure of a Man, Best of Both Worlds, and Darmok

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Bullbar posted:

First of all, tell me more about this Trek RPG, I'd never heard of it and I post in TGD. I'm definitely curious.

Darmok is one of the best stand-alone Trek episodes, I think. I'm not sure BOBW would have the relevant impact and it's pretty long, in the bargain. Do you ahve a feel for the group's preferred style?

Bullbar
Apr 18, 2007

The Aristocrats!

Nessus posted:

First of all, tell me more about this Trek RPG, I'd never heard of it and I post in TGD. I'm definitely curious.

Darmok is one of the best stand-alone Trek episodes, I think. I'm not sure BOBW would have the relevant impact and it's pretty long, in the bargain. Do you ahve a feel for the group's preferred style?

Star Trek Adventures is by Modiphius who do the Conan and Mutant Chronicles RPGs among others. It's using a nicely cleaned up version of their 2d20 system which seems pretty cool but I haven't actually played yet. It kind of has that advantages/complications thing that FFG Star Wars stuff has going on.

Mostly the players have expressed an interest in the exploration and diplomacy side of what they know, the dude who is going to play the captain is the most Trek fluent and wants to be more Picard-like. I want to show off the more thoughtful/cerebral side of it I guess.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Bullbar posted:

Star Trek Adventures is by Modiphius who do the Conan and Mutant Chronicles RPGs among others. It's using a nicely cleaned up version of their 2d20 system which seems pretty cool but I haven't actually played yet. It kind of has that advantages/complications thing that FFG Star Wars stuff has going on.

Mostly the players have expressed an interest in the exploration and diplomacy side of what they know, the dude who is going to play the captain is the most Trek fluent and wants to be more Picard-like. I want to show off the more thoughtful/cerebral side of it I guess.
I'd consider Who Watches the Watchers, Galaxy's Child... really if you aren't super tight for session time you could start each one with an episode of TNG just to get in the mood

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
I've not seen this before, but I'm glad I now have.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

hiddenriverninja posted:

One of those was Nova Squadron

Huh, I really thought that was Red Squad for some reason. Probably because it involves stupid ideas and cadet deaths.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!
The bf and I have a deal where we trade episodes of Star Trek with episodes of Golden Girls, and this happened

E: I can only assume it's part of a Voyager time travel plot we'll get to later

VitalSigns fucked around with this message at 02:11 on Aug 24, 2017

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

VitalSigns posted:

The bf and I have a deal where we trade episodes of Star Trek with episodes of Golden Girls, and this happened

E: I can only assume it's part of a Voyager time travel plot we'll get to later

EMHs of the Old West (who are really sheriffs):

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
Speaking of Trek actors popping up in 90's stuff, I've been skimming through the 90's Outer Limits revival. Nicole de Boer (credited as Nikki de Boer), William Sadler, Wil Wheaton, and Brent Spiner have all show up in the first couple seasons. Wil Wheaton plays a cadet blinded by patriotism (he's pretty bad in that episode), Sadler stars in a prototype Ex Machina, and de Boer is, uh...

Spiner shows up in "The Deprogrammers" (easily the best episode I've watched so far) as the same kind of sarcastic tough guy role he employs as Lore and Arik Soong. This is the first time I've seen him outside of Star Trek, and I'm almost disappointed he doesn't show up as a villain in more shows. He's got limited range, but he knows how to play an entertaining rear end in a top hat.

I think Michael Dorn shows up as a paranoid astronaut in the next episode I have queued.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!
Just watched an episode where Tuvok says he doubts whether katras are real.

What? There is so much documented evidence that they exist. Spock, the most famous Vulcan of all time, was resurrected in front of hundreds of witnesses in a society with ubiquitous miniature recording devices. Spock implanting his katra in McCoy was captured on video, and this is a normal thing that all Vulcans do (except the poor bastards on the USS Intrepid, I guess :rip:)

Tuvok has personal experience that souls or psychic energy or whatever can exist outside the body. He was possessed by one. He observed Chakotay's soul going around possessing different crew members in order to thwart the other souls' evil plans.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Tuvok is probably skeptical that his own dong exists because Vulcans are inconsistent robots

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Speaking of Trek actors popping up in 90's stuff, I've been skimming through the 90's Outer Limits revival. Nicole de Boer (credited as Nikki de Boer), William Sadler, Wil Wheaton, and Brent Spiner have all show up in the first couple seasons. Wil Wheaton plays a cadet blinded by patriotism (he's pretty bad in that episode), Sadler stars in a prototype Ex Machina, and de Boer is, uh...

Spiner shows up in "The Deprogrammers" (easily the best episode I've watched so far) as the same kind of sarcastic tough guy role he employs as Lore and Arik Soong. This is the first time I've seen him outside of Star Trek, and I'm almost disappointed he doesn't show up as a villain in more shows. He's got limited range, but he knows how to play an entertaining rear end in a top hat.

I think Michael Dorn shows up as a paranoid astronaut in the next episode I have queued.

If I'm not mistaken that's the episode about the aliens who don't have a word for "mercy."