Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Haquer
Nov 15, 2009

That windswept look...

A 50S RAYGUN posted:

i don't even know if that's true for the first time you run it, but you can definitely just run 4 once you have your completion.

source: literally just ran 4

You do a series of quests to do each floor so yes, that's exactly how it works.

Now my DRK is geared/overgeared I just do o4n

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

apostateCourier posted:

Given that Y'shtola literally sees aether, I have this weird feeling that she would have called us out on that already.

A couple of plausible explanations with a minimal amount of assumptions:

a) We're a very small Primal, comparatively speaking.
2) Instead of draining aether from Eorzea, we were tapping straight into Hydelyn, and Minigardsormr taught us how to self-regulate so that we're not just indiscriminately sucking down all of the aether.
iii) The Scions and anyone you come in contact with are already tempered by you, they just don't know it yet.
****) Something about the summoning process as taught by Ascians is deliberately flawed, and that the Primals being summoned through Ascian teachings are deliberately imperfect, and aren't supposed to suck down aether indiscriminately either.

Solo Wing Pixy posted:

My thinking is more that whatever Scion you run into in the level 10-ish quests would have taken one look at you with their magic aether-detecting goggles, noticed you were a primal, and shanked you while you were still a squishy pugilist wearing level 5 Au Ra refugee rags. Not like you've done any great deeds that might give you pause at that point in time either.

the idea of the WoL getting involuntary primal-hijacked in a crisis is one I hadn't thought of, and makes a lot of sense.

Also, I don't really mess with parsers, so I'll admit that I enjoy making the little aggro bar under my name shoot past the (other) DPS and occasionally the tank before I pop LD.

I mean, when was the last time that they looked at *you* with the special goggles? You probably weren't that out of the ordinary just starting out either, and probably were indistinguishable from any other schmuck in terms of power level at the time.

SwissArmyDruid fucked around with this message at 01:07 on Aug 24, 2017

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

The WoL is a primal theory is poo poo.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

It's almost as bad as the "Hydalaen is actually the baddie" theory.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
Zenos is Yda.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Count Bleck posted:

The WoL is a primal theory is poo poo.

You're right, the cool and good theory is that the WoL is going to become a primal

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord
The other 7 chumps that show up in primal fights are my 7 squires that carry the literally hundreds of tons of armor, weapons, gil, portraits of Kan-E-Senna, cans of paint, and fully cooked steaks that must be available to me at all times.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters
The WoL is a primal theory is dumb because there's already a wealth of Actually Canon explanations for why we can do the poo poo we can do, nerds just look for a twist even when there isn't one.

Haquer
Nov 15, 2009

That windswept look...

Fister Roboto posted:

It's almost as bad as the "Hydalaen is actually the baddie" theory.

Well in the warrior of darkness timeline......

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Also it shits all over the idea of the WOL being a normal everyman with a blank slate background so that players can feel more immersed. That's kind of important for an MMO.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Captain Oblivious posted:

The WoL is a primal theory is dumb because there's already a wealth of Actually Canon explanations for why we can do the poo poo we can do, nerds just look for a twist even when there isn't one.

Well what else were we supposed to think at the end of heavensward?

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
I'm actually a little surprised that "the WoL is a primal and has always been one" is a real theory. "The WoL is being exposed to very similar circumstances to Louisioux when he became Phoenix and this may result in primalization at some unspecified point in the future" is how I understood it, and is much more consistent with the text

Velthice
Dec 12, 2010

Lipstick Apathy

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

hobbesmaster posted:

Literally anything else if you have been paying any attention at all.

Solo Wing Pixy
Aug 5, 2008

It's an amanojaku!
And it hates you so much!

hobbesmaster posted:

That the WoL is really, really, really pissed off at the guys who killed her boyfriend. I'll show you breaking the limits as only a true Warrior of Light can.

i have no idea if stuff from way back in 3.0 needs spoiler tags but eh.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
The warrior of light is a primal

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

actually it's cool

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.
The primal of warrior is a light.

OneDeadman
Oct 16, 2010

[SUPERBIA]
the 3-7 chumps that come with you to dungeons/primals are basically your "good" adventuring pals, who obviously can't deal with seen with such a huge tryhard nerd (read: You) and are happy to let you take the credit.

RME
Feb 20, 2012

kingdom hearts is a primal

Velthice
Dec 12, 2010

Lipstick Apathy

cheetah7071 posted:

I'm actually a little surprised that "the WoL is a primal and has always been one" is a real theory. "The WoL is being exposed to very similar circumstances to Louisioux when he became Phoenix and this may result in primalization at some unspecified point in the future" is how I understood it, and is much more consistent with the text

louie only primalized when he made a conscious decision to take all the aether from his failed ritual into himself to punch a hole in bahamut. he even says this himself. You need actual intent. Nobody just explodes into a primal from people wishing really hard, otherwise thordad and his merry men would have put their foot on your throat (and nidhogg's) as soon as you walked in the door, and they had some thousand or so years of constant prayer, generations of society literally dedicated and built around it, up on the wol. Intent, belief and aether, you need all three. That's why it's a dumb theory.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Velthice posted:

louie only primalized when he made a conscious decision to take all the aether from his failed ritual into himself to punch a hole in bahamut. he even says this himself. You need actual intent. Nobody just explodes into a primal from people wishing really hard, otherwise thordad and his merry men would have put their foot on your throat (and nidhogg's) as soon as you walked in the door, and they had some thousand or so years of constant prayer, generations of society literally dedicated and built around it, up on the wol. Intent, belief and aether, you need all three. That's why it's a dumb theory.

The WoL bathes in the corpses of being made of pure aether every patch. At this point basically all of Eorzea and parts of Othard know you as their savior and are hoping and wishing for your success. Hopes and wishes aren't that far from prayers. At that point all that's missing is intent--and that sounds like a solid potential plot beat to me.

e: The plot beat being Alphinaud or whoever realizes all the ingredients for primalization are there and then discussing whether it's really okay to use it to defeat ____ future threat. Or something like that.

cheetah7071 fucked around with this message at 02:59 on Aug 24, 2017

Velthice
Dec 12, 2010

Lipstick Apathy

cheetah7071 posted:

The WoL bathes in the corpses of being made of pure aether every patch. At this point basically all of Eorzea and parts of Othard know you as their savior and are hoping and wishing for your success. Hopes and wishes aren't that far from prayers. At that point all that's missing is intent--and that sounds like a solid potential plot beat to me.

Only if they have the most hamfisted writers, which sure, might happen some 10 years down the line or so. I can't think of a worse thing to do with a mmo player character than taking decision and characterization out of the players hands (which is something they've been making a consistent effort to improve in later patches after constant criticism) to railroad them to some plot point that can be done and has been done by npcs a few times now. You can agree with gaius, you can be just like zenos, but nothing is ever going to come from it besides background fluff because people tend to be invested in their characters and no sane person is going to gently caress with that

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Solo Wing Pixy posted:

That the WoL is really, really, really pissed off at the guys who killed her boyfriend.

This is 100% canon based on the DRK quests.

Velthice
Dec 12, 2010

Lipstick Apathy

cheetah7071 posted:

e: The plot beat being Alphinaud or whoever realizes all the ingredients for primalization are there and then discussing whether it's really okay to use it to defeat ____ future threat. Or something like that.

This i'd accept as a temporary sort of thing. Like yo we need to turn the wol into a megazord real quick to fight zeromus or something, but permanent, well that's it, you're this forever now, no. bad idea.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

Velthice posted:

Only if they have the most hamfisted writers, which sure, might happen some 10 years down the line or so. I can't think of a worse thing to do with a mmo player character than taking decision and characterization out of the players hands (which is something they've been making a consistent effort to improve in later patches after constant criticism) to railroad them to some plot point that can be done and has been done by npcs a few times now. You can agree with gaius, you can be just like zenos, but nothing is ever going to come from it besides background fluff because people tend to be invested in their characters and no sane person is going to gently caress with that

That's why the speculation is that this won't become a relevent plot point until when FFXIV shuts down: There won't *be* any game after that.

Velthice
Dec 12, 2010

Lipstick Apathy

SwissArmyDruid posted:

That's why the speculation is that this won't become a relevent plot point until when FFXIV shuts down: There won't *be* any game after that.

well I'm sure that'll happen in about... *looks over at ffxi* uh... *sweats nervously*

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

I mean, FF11 already pretty much did what those guys are talking about in Rhapsodies

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST
I feel blessed for playing a Ninja for prolly the first time. No aggro games. If I want to pull a boss early, I'm just gonna Shade the tank if he intends to be a dick about it.

Velthice
Dec 12, 2010

Lipstick Apathy
if they were making final fantasy xiv a realm reborn reborn then yea, you could have a cool send off, but that ain't happening so it'll instead just fade into obscurity and lack of updates as it's put on maint mode. a fitting retirement after saving the world

Velthice
Dec 12, 2010

Lipstick Apathy
also also considering they haven't even decided what we're doing in the next expac or so, it's pretty unlikely that have a plot stored in a *break in case of shutdown* case. they're literally just making poo poo up as they go. ...perhaps the sa thread has more in common with the square dev team than we know

Solo Wing Pixy
Aug 5, 2008

It's an amanojaku!
And it hates you so much!

Velthice posted:

if they were making final fantasy xiv a realm reborn reborn then yea, you could have a cool send off, but that ain't happening so it'll instead just fade into obscurity and lack of updates as it's put on maint mode. a fitting retirement after saving the world

Only if my WoL can retire to the Azim Steppe and raise sheep with my cool and good friends the Mol.

Velthice
Dec 12, 2010

Lipstick Apathy

Solo Wing Pixy posted:

Only if my WoL can retire to the Azim Steppe and raise sheep with my cool and good friends the Mol.

only if you luck out and snag one of the limited housing plots

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

I've never played an MMO that ended, how have other ones dealt with the story?

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
This game will end with neo bahamut blowing up eorzea followed by a failed kickstarter campaign for another reboot

UHD
Nov 11, 2006

cheetah7071 posted:

This game will end with neo bahamut blowing up eorzea followed by a failed kickstarter campaign for another reboot

you mean the kickstarter will fail to reach its goals, or it'll blow the goal out of the water but then the game never sees the light of day for various inevitably stupid reasons

OneDeadman
Oct 16, 2010

[SUPERBIA]
Final Citizen XIV

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

UHD posted:

you mean the kickstarter will fail to reach its goals, or it'll blow the goal out of the water but then the game never sees the light of day for various inevitably stupid reasons

does it matter?

Farg
Nov 19, 2013
wol isn't a primal but there will for sure be a "wol primal" thing at some point

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

I'm late on this but

Solo Wing Pixy posted:

All of the knowledge in this universe is but a speck in a neuron of your all-encompassing, all-knowing transcendent space brain: Pulling with Provoke, then using Ultimatum to get hate on the rest of the mobs.

Hey now, the WoL has more personality than GW2's (who's just an extension of Trahearne) in spite of having nothing but one-line replies and emotes. gently caress Treesus I hope he gets Dutch Elm Disease and rots away. actually I gather that he's dead now so maybe the new expansion will be better?

I feel kind of awkward that I made a post saying how pretty FFXIV is (besides some SuperFX-grade NPC texturing), and kicked off an argument about how ugly it is instead. Look, I'm playing on an ultrabook with a GeForce 730M, I'm impressed that I can run anything more demanding than a ROM of Star Fox 64.

Oh yeah, I was so annoyed with the crappy healer in Doma Castle that I forgot to mention hitting level 50 on DRK last night. Holy crap, that final quest. :stare:

FF XIV needs a spinoff where we give in to the DARKNESS or whatever and go on excellent split-personality adventures with Fray picking up loot and telling NPCs to gently caress off.

This is the funniest thing when you're a lala in a comedy glam